Ex-Jet Leon Washington to Revis: Don't be victim like me

SoFlaJets

Ex-Jet Leon Washington to Revis: Don't be victim like me

Jets Blog

By MARK CANNIZZARO

CORTLAND -- From some 2,500 miles away on the other side of the country, there was a vibrant sense of energy and enthusiasm emanating from Leon Washington's voice over the phone.

After four years with the Jets, Washington was raving about his new team, the Seahawks, and his new coach, Pete Carroll, predicting big things to come in Seattle.

But when the topic of his close friend Darrelle Revis, who held out of training camp for a fourth consecutive day yesterday in a contract dispute, was broached, Washington's mood darkened.

"I feel really sorry for him, I really do, because Darrelle loves to play football and he wants to be out there on the field with his teammates," Washington told The Post in an exclusive interview. "I know he really wants to show the fans that he really wants to be a Jet."

Washington has been watching the Revis holdout unfold with both interest and disappointment from afar, but he's stayed in contact with his former teammate and tried to help him through this crisis.

Because of his relationship with Revis and because he went through a similar contract dispute with the Jets that went bad a year ago, Washington has unwittingly become a significant player in this dispute.

Sources close to Revis have said openly that it was Washington's plight last year that has had the most profound influence on Revis as he pondered a training camp holdout.

Washington, who has stayed in contact with Revis, has tried to counsel him based on his experience.

"All I've ever done with Darrelle is say, 'Look at my situation and be your own man and learn from it,' " Washington said. "I didn't tell him what do to. I just told him how everything went down and I told him look at my situation and learn from it. I broke everything down for him. I gave him the details and specifics about my whole negotiation process."

It was last year when Washington, one of the most popular players in the Jets' locker room, was embroiled in his own contract skirmish with team management and, in the end, it didn't work out very well.

Washington never got the contract he was seeking (though the Jets say they offered him one with $10 million in guarantees that Washington rejected) and he suffered a scary compound leg fracture in the sixth game of the season, against the Raiders in Oakland.

That left Washington out for the season on crutches and rehabilitating and with no financial security to fall back on.

The Jets subsequently traded him for a fifth-round draft pick to Seattle, where he's hoping to return from the serious injury that offers no guarantees that he will remain the dynamic player he once was before the injury.

Washington's situation quickly became a cautionary tale inside the Jets' locker room -- most particularly for Revis, whose refusal to play for the $1 million he's scheduled to make in 2010 with no new contract with guaranteed money as security has stemmed from what he saw his former teammate go through.

Seeing Revis hold out has saddened Washington, but he understands his reasoning.

Washington said the decision to hold out was "absolutely tough" on Revis, "really tough," he said.

"He's told me he really wanted to go [to camp]," Washington said. "He was really excited because the Jets have a good chance of going to the Super Bowl. What hurts him most is the fans are like, 'You should be out there.' But he has a family, too."

With that, Washington politely said goodbye and when he did his voice no longer had that sense of enthusiasm it had at the start of the conversation. He sounded saddened for what his close friend was going through.

"It's unfortunate, man," Washington said. "Hopefully it will work out."

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One day after it was revealed that the Jets had reached out to Darrelle Revis' representatives, there was no movement on the contract dispute yesterday.

Revis, who is being fined $16,500 per day, missed his fourth day of training camp yesterday and, based on how far apart the sides are, there doesn't appear to be any resolution in the near future.

With speculation of a potential holdout that would keep Revis out for the entire season, head coach Rex Ryan yesterday expressed optimism that Revis would be back.

"Before we kick it off against the Ravens [in the season opener on Sept. 13], I think he'll be in the starting lineup," Ryan said

SFJ-so the guy who this as Leon said "is very tough on him, and who has a family too" has been fined $65,000.00 for missing FOUR DAYS OF WORK-which is more than I make in a year-screw these guys-I have no sympathy. Do you know what I could have done with the money he has refused with a son-in-law now out of work who supports my sick daughter and 4 of my grandchildren?

SFJ-so the guy who this as Leon said "is very tough on him, and who has a family too" has been fined $65,000.00 for missing FOUR DAYS OF WORK-which is more than I make in a year-screw these guys-I have no sympathy. Do you know what I could have done with the money he has refused with a son-in-law now out of work who supports my sick daughter and 4 of my grandchildren?

I keep seeing references to this mysterious family. What 'family' exactly does Revis have to support? Does he have a wife or any kids? Or is it just that uncle Sean needs a few more cars to tool around in? Seriously, it's not like he's A-Cro or anything.

I keep seeing references to this mysterious family. What 'family' exactly does Revis have to support? Does he have a wife or any kids? Or is it just that uncle Sean needs a few more cars to tool around in? Seriously, it's not like he's A-Cro or anything.

He also says he's not struggling with money, so what the F is the big deal about getting a deal now when you have all this money, Darrelle? With the money he's made already he should, in escense, be set for life. Why he won't take a Chris Johnson type deal and just play this year is beyond me. Its selfish and stupid.

Go on hisFacebook page, he has so many relatives he will need to sign a billion dollar contract to take care of them all...Myself and a few others have been going round and round with them all week

Screw LW and his advise to MEvis...

Washington never got the contract he was seeking (though the Jets say they offered him one with $10 million in guarantees that Washington rejected) and he suffered a scary compound leg fracture in the sixth game of the season, against the Raiders in Oakland.

When you turn down 10 mil in guarantees, I have no sympathy for you...LW got greedy and wanted more...same advise he is giving MEvis. Learn from that if you're going to learn anything at all.

When you turn down 10 mil in guarantees, I have no sympathy for you...LW got greedy and wanted more...same advise he is giving MEvis. Learn from that if you're going to learn anything at all.

Yea Bill, and especially in this economy where so many people are hurting-bad time to try and garner the sympathy votes from everyday Jets fans

He also says he's not struggling with money, so what the F is the big deal about getting a deal now when you have all this money, Darrelle? With the money he's made already he should, in escense, be set for life. Why he won't take a Chris Johnson type deal and just play this year is beyond me. Its selfish and stupid.

Listen to what the man says. And stop putting Leon Washington, Latrell Sprewell or anyone else's values on as a substitution for what Revis values.

Revis doesn't need the money. He has never said he is broke or he has a family to feed or there is something he wants that he can't afford. He has never said he is worried that he will get injured and will be unable to earn money in the future or that he doesn't have enough money on hand to last him the rest of his life if he never got another paycheck. No matter how much Slats wants to make it the issue, it is not the issue for the man named Darrelle Shavar Revis.

Revis want to be paid $1 dollar more than Nnamdi Asomugha. A contract that pays him $1 dollar less than Aso is unacceptable. $1 dollar more is all he wants, it does not need to be any higher than $1 more. He has very specifically stated his demands.

So a $2 swing on a multimillion dollar deal is the difference between totally perfect and total unacceptable. His demand has never been I want XXX dollars, it has always been I want to be paid more than Aso.

I would not be surprised if the first time he made that demand, he didn't even know how much Aso's contract paid, just that Aso was the highest paid corner back in the NFL.

I am willing to bet if tomorrow the Oakland Raiders restructured Aso's deal so Aso was being paid $3 million a year less, Revis's demands would drop by exactly $3 million dollars.

It is an ego thing. Nothing more, nothing less. He values his self worth by the size of his paycheck. If Aso is paid more than him than Aso must be valued by the Oakland Raiders more than the Jets value Revis. If Revis makes a $1 more than Aso than the NFL views Revis as the best corner back in the league, if Aso makes $1 more than Revis than the NFL views Aso as the best corner back in the league.

I feel really sorry for him' date=' I really do, because Darrelle loves to play football and he wants to be out there on the field with his teammates, [b']I know he really wants to show the fans that he really wants to be a Jet.

How the hell does holding out with three years left on your contract and not returning phone calls from the team demonstrate the desire to be a Jet?

Listen to what the man says. And stop putting Leon Washington, Latrell Sprewell or anyone else's values on as a substitution for what Revis values.

Revis doesn't need the money. He has never said he is broke or he has a family to feed or there is something he wants that he can't afford. He has never said he is worried that he will get injured and will be unable to earn money in the future or that he doesn't have enough money on hand to last him the rest of his life if he never got another paycheck. No matter how much Slats wants to make it the issue, it is not the issue for the man named Darrelle Shavar Revis.

Revis want to be paid $1 dollar more than Nnamdi Asomugha. A contract that pays him $1 dollar less than Aso is unacceptable. $1 dollar more is all he wants, it does not need to be any higher than $1 more. He has very specifically stated his demands.

So a $2 swing on a multimillion dollar deal is the difference between totally perfect and total unacceptable. His demand has never been I want XXX dollars, it has always been I want to be paid more than Aso.

I would not be surprised if the first time he made that demand, he didn't even know how much Aso's contract paid, just that Aso was the highest paid corner back in the NFL.

I am willing to bet if tomorrow the Oakland Raiders restructured Aso's deal so Aso was being paid $3 million a year less, Revis's demands would drop by exactly $3 million dollars.

It is an ego thing. Nothing more, nothing less. He values his self worth by the size of his paycheck. If Aso is paid more than him than Aso must be valued by the Oakland Raiders more than the Jets value Revis. If Revis makes a $1 more than Aso than the NFL views Revis as the best corner back in the league, if Aso makes $1 more than Revis than the NFL views Aso as the best corner back in the league.

So he did put a price tag on it...$1 more then Aso...that is most definitely asking for XXX dollars..Isn't it just amazing how we have to hear details concerning Jets news from a freakin chowd????

Leon is absolutely right, Revis should learn from Leon's situation. He should learn that if the team makes you a substantial offer that represents a significant raise on a long term contract, you either accept the deal or suffer the consequences of your own actions. Leon only has himself to blame for the situation he's currently in. Revis better know if he follows Leon's lead, the same might be said of him if things go badly.

No one wants to talk about it, but the big difference between Leon Washington and Darrelle Revis is in the value the Jets put on them.

Leon Washington valued himself significantly higher than the Jets valued a 3rd down back. Rex Ryan/Shotty, with all the opportunities in the world before Leon got hurt, barely used him. He really made no significant plays in the first 4 weeks of the season.

In my opinion, the Jets would have been perfectly content (even if healthy) to allow Leon to walk away. As they didn't view him as nearly as valuable as a Maurice Jones Drew type player, which is how Leon reportedly wanted to be payed. Revis on the other hand, both teams know what his value is, the sticking point is that he still has 3 years left on his deal, so the Jets (rightfully so) expect a discount if he's to get another big signing bonus.

Why were Jets fans so enamored with Leon Washington? I never understood it.

I remember hearing, "Because he kept his mouth shut and played football." Call me crazy, but maybe he just never got his chance to say anything while he was here. As in, reporters never had much reason to ask many questions outside of X's and O's. Everything out of his mouth since has been backhanded...

So he did put a price tag on it...$1 more then Aso...that is most definitely asking for XXX dollars..Isn't it just amazing how we have to hear details concerning Jets news from a freakin chowd????

This shouldn't be news to anyone here....it has been posted multiple times on this forum.

The analysis that one should stop adding Leon Washington or Latrell Sprewell motivation to Revis is all that I have added to the discussion.

This shouldn't be news to anyone here....it has been posted multiple times on this forum.

The analysis that one should stop adding Leon Washington or Latrell Sprewell motivation to Revis is all that I have added to the discussion.

Stop back tracking...

That is just dumb though. Aso's total money who could earn is $45 million. The reports are the Jets have offered Revis a contract worth over a hundred million, which would be the highest ever for a CB. You can't just look at the per year it's also the total amount offered. I know the offer does not have a lot of guaranteed money but it can't, because of the lack of a CBA.

Also when Aso got that deal he was a free agent, so he had to be blown away to stay because no sane player would want to be in Oakland. If it is the case that Darrelle only wants more on a yearly basis lets just give him a contract every year, when he has a bad year we can offer him less.(bit of sarcasm)

Al Davis can not set the market for CB's, the next highest CB salary is 5-6 million away. It's ridiculous that he wants to cripple our salary cap, if this is the case then trade is a$$.

Reports are that is not the case though, Revis just wants more guaranteed money and will not take a deal like Brick's.

Go on hisFacebook page, he has so many relatives he will need to sign a billion dollar contract to take care of them all...Myself and a few others have been going round and round with them all week

That's a $hitload of gold teeth and other necessities. No wonder he's playing hardball.

No one wants to talk about it, but the big difference between Leon Washington and Darrelle Revis is in the value the Jets put on them.

Leon Washington valued himself significantly higher than the Jets valued a 3rd down back. Rex Ryan/Shotty, with all the opportunities in the world before Leon got hurt, barely used him. He really made no significant plays in the first 4 weeks of the season.

In my opinion, the Jets would have been perfectly content (even if healthy) to allow Leon to walk away. As they didn't view him as nearly as valuable as a Maurice Jones Drew type player, which is how Leon reportedly wanted to be payed. Revis on the other hand, both teams know what his value is, the sticking point is that he still has 3 years left on his deal, so the Jets (rightfully so) expect a discount if he's to get another big signing bonus.

It's this, this I think is what pisses me off the most about this whole thing-he already HAS a contract

Revis is a significantly better player than Leon ever was, and yet there is no report that the Jets have offered him even half of of the rumored $10M guaranteed they offered Washington. I think an 8-figure bonus as part of most of these rumored deals would probably get him back in camp.

Revis want to be paid $1 dollar more than Nnamdi Asomugha. A contract that pays him $1 dollar less than Aso is unacceptable.

There have been multiple reports that the issue is exactly that he has no security beyond his current $550K salary is he steps on the field and suffers a career ending injury. Revis has kept his mouth shut for a while now since saying he wanted to be the highest paid CB in the league (a smart negotiating stance for the league's best CB). His agents have also been quiet. Doesn't give us much info as fans, but it's the right thing for both sides.

I'll believe that he's holding out for Aso money when he gets it.

I agree with all of this. In retrospect, the Jets were generous with Leon largely because he's a fan favorite. He was not impressive before he got hurt last year.

Revis is a whole 'nother animal. The man has unique skill. His presence on the defense is like having a 12th man, because every other CB in the league covering the likes of Randy Moss, Andre Johnson, etc., has safety help over the top. The guy has incredible value to the Jets.

Revis is a unique man with unique talents to sell. He doesn't need to sell his talents at bargain bin prices... no matter what the team, the owners or the fans think.

LMAO, Charles Woodson who actually won the defensive player of the year, is scheduled to make $7.5 million this year, with the proper incentives. His he holding out?

I'd be fine with giving Revis $10 million a year, but the only position to make $16 million is the QB.

I've been getting it in there this week as well..he's got some ignorant people defending him..claiming to be his family.

+1

+1

I hope they figure out a way to get this done because we need Revis-we all know that-we're not stoopit football fans here-I just can't seem to find it in my heart to take his side in this-and it has nothing to do with owner's money-I take exception to the greedy way this is happening and where it seems to be coming from

LMAO, Charles Woodson who actually won the defensive player of the year, is scheduled to make $7.5 million this year, with the proper incentives. His he holding out?

A 34 year old CB can't expect to make much more than that. But a 25 year old CB who's probably better can expect to make more than that. Certainly a lot more than the $550K he's currently under contract for.

I don't like to get into anything with you because I think you're a great guy and I know I tend to piss people off, but...

These guys don't live in the same economy as you and I. If you were working for a club making $200 a night, and another guy was working down the street -no better than you- making $3000 a night, wouldn't you want to do something about it? If by withholding your services you could put a serious financial pinch on that club and force their hand get your pay close to that $3000 a night, wouldn't you do it? For yourself, your daughter, your grandchildren, your estate, or even your ego?

It's not about "feeding their family," even if that stupid phrase comes out of their mouths. It's about getting what they're worth.

Man...all this contract talk and the amount of money these guys walk away from because of their self value is unreal.

Mevi$ is currently being fined daily, what a majority of american citizens make in a year (or close to it). Its ridiculous. Most citizens these days, live pay check to pay check. Very few citizens are killing it in this economy. And these players have the audacity to hate on the fans for wanting to see the players they support with their hard earned money on the field with the rest of the team.

As a fan, you have every right to be pissed off at these arrogant money hungry bastards. We pay your salaries, without us, you make nothing. If the fans got up and went on strike because we were sick of how much money these players make and how much sh*t cost to watch and support these guy....bye bye NFL. This would never happen, but you get the point.

These dipsh*ts play a ******* game for a living and make 5x more than 95% of the entire world. I understand its a business...hell, I want to make as much money as I can...but when these ****s say its wrong for fans to be upset...then I say go **** yourself! You play a game for living...a ******* game you love. Most citizens work in a sh*tty job they hate to actually struggle to support their family. **** these guys. **** Leon Washington for turning down 10mil. You're an idiot. **** Mevi$ too. He's made a ton of money and is set to make more. So if a fan wants to say, hey Mevi$ you arrogant money hungry bastard, man up and get out on the field...more power to ya! You have every right to.

I don't like to get into anything with you because I think you're a great guy and I know I tend to piss people off, but...

These guys don't live in the same economy as you and I. If you were working for a club making $200 a night, and another guy was working down the street -no better than you- making $3000 a night, wouldn't you want to do something about it? If by withholding your services you could put a serious financial pinch on that club and force their hand get your pay close to that $3000 a night, wouldn't you do it? For yourself, your daughter, your grandchildren, your estate, or even your ego?

It's not about "feeding their family," even if that stupid phrase comes out of their mouths. It's about getting what they're worth.

nah you never piss me off slats-I can see where you're coming from and I WANT Revis in camp and happy and playing LCB for the NY Jets in 2010

WTHBS that has actually happened to me and I bitch about it to this day.

Off topic: There is this outdoor amphitheatre in West Palm Beach that a friend of mine would get me a gig to play at in some visitors tent. I was making maybe a buck fifty and on stage making tens of thousands of dollars was the boy band 98 Degrees-they were running laps around the stage with wireless mics and not missing a note and staying in perfect pitch and perfect harmony. Until I realized that they were lip syncing the whole show. So there I am making peanuts in comparison and sweating my nougats off and these dudes were wiping their butts with what I was making

A 34 year old CB can't expect to make much more than that. But a 25 year old CB who's probably better can expect to make more than that. Certainly a lot more than the $550K he's currently under contract for.

slats he and his agent signed this deal 2 years ago,it was ok then but isnt now? I like Revis and we need him in camp and on the field. I just have to ask,when does it end with these players and what is the financial limit that a team can spend and still satisfy all the players.

Man...all this contract talk and the amount of money these guys walk away from because of their self value is unreal.

Mevi$ is currently being fined daily, what a majority of american citizens make in a year (or close to it). Its ridiculous. Most citizens these days, live pay check to pay check. Very few citizens are killing it in this economy. And these players have the audacity to hate on the fans for wanting to see the players they support with their hard earned money on the field with the rest of the team.

As a fan, you have every right to be pissed off at these arrogant money hungry bastards. We pay your salaries, without us, you make nothing. If the fans got up and went on strike because we were sick of how much money these players make and how much sh*t cost to watch and support these guy....bye bye NFL. This would never happen, but you get the point.

These dipsh*ts play a ******* game for a living and make 5x more than 95% of the entire world. I understand its a business...hell, I want to make as much money as I can...but when these ****s say its wrong for fans to be upset...then I say go **** yourself! You play a game for living...a ******* game you love. Most citizens work in a sh*tty job they hate to actually struggle to support their family. **** these guys. **** Leon Washington for turning down 10mil. You're an idiot. **** Mevi$ too. He's made a ton of money and is set to make more. So if a fan wants to say, hey Mevi$ you arrogant money hungry bastard, man up and get out on the field...more power to ya! You have every right to.

good post JiF and you like Night Stalker know what the economy is like down here in south Florida and how so many including my family are struggling-so yea I may be taking this a little personally when I shouldn't so much...but hey we're only human and all have our flaws-and I know I got 'em by the bushel full

That is just dumb though. Aso's total money who could earn is $45 million. The reports are the Jets have offered Revis a contract worth over a hundred million, which would be the highest ever for a CB. You can't just look at the per year it's also the total amount offered. I know the offer does not have a lot of guaranteed money but it can't, because of the lack of a CBA.

Hence where the problem arose.

Tanny told Revis, "we want to make you the highest paid CB & make you a Jet for life." Or something to that effect. (per Revis)

In Tanny's mind that meant something like a 9 year $100 million dollar contract. Because $100 million > $45 million and it would make Revis the highest CB and lock him up for a long time. Revis took "highest paid CB" to mean more per year than Aso. And that is why the Revis camp is crying that Tanny isn't delivering on his promise.

If you listen to Tanny's presser he says the dispute is over total compensation number and "what it means to be the highest paid corner back in the league."

Archived