Time Running out For Washington

flgreen

With cut day here, Jets face decision at running back

Published: Saturday, September 04, 2010, 6:30 AM Updated: Saturday, September 04, 2010, 7:48 AM

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Follow Share this story

Story tools

Sam Sharpe/U.S. PresswireJets running back Chauncey Washington pushes for yardage during a preseason game against Carolina.

Share When Chauncey Washington was a rookie with the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2008, elder running backs Maurice Jones-Drew and Fred Taylor gave advice he hasn’t since forgotten.

“They told me, ‘You can’t play the numbers game in this league,’” Washington recalled after Thursday night’s preseason finale against the Eagles. “You’ve just got to do the best you can, and you’ll get the opportunity.”

That guided the 25-year-old this summer as he played in a full Jets backfield, seemingly in a tough position to make the roster. But he forced his way into consideration with a breakthrough game two weeks ago at Carolina, and a strong follow-up in Philadelphia.

The Jets have to pare their roster down to 53 by 6 p.m. Saturday -- plus receiver Santonio Holmes, who is suspended for the first four games. And one of the toughest calls for the Jets might be at running back, where bubble players Washington and Danny Woodhead have made strong cases for the team to keep them this preseason.

Neither was in the early wave of cuts Friday morning, keeping alive each one’s hope he had done enough to earn a roster spot by the time the Jets had left Lincoln Financial Field.

“I think Danny Woodhead did,” coach Rex Ryan said after the game Thursday. “I’ll say that right now. But Chauncey did help himself.”

Woodhead, who is also used as a receiver, seemed to be on solid footing, as Ryan all but assured him of his place on the team publicly. He averaged 3.8 yards per carry in the final preseason contest, added one 10-yard catch and scored on a 14-yard run when he eluded two would-be tacklers.

Undrafted, listed as just 5-foot-9 and a graduate of Division 2 Chadron State, Woodhead’s persistence alone draws the respect of his teammates — not to mention his tough play. He said he was encouraged by Ryan’s words, but wasn’t counting anything for certain in the post-game locker room Thursday.

“Maybe. Does it give you more confidence? Probably,” Woodhead said when told what Ryan said. “But I’m not approaching this, by any means, as if I’ve solidified my roster spot. By all means, I’m just going to go back, probably sleep, try to get eight hours in, and just rest.”

The Jets’ top two running backs are starter Shonn Greene and LaDainian Tomlinson. Ryan also said fourth-round pick Joe McKnight will be on the team, despite a disappointing preseason that made the coach lose confidence in McKnight’s ability to be active on gameday. Ryan has also said the Jets will keep two fullbacks — veteran Tony Richardson and rookie John Conner — making for a heavy backfield.

Washington didn’t seem to be in the picture until the second preseason game against the Panthers, when he forced a fumble with a crushing hit on a punt return and was given a shot on offense immediately afterward.

A former seventh-round pick by the Jaguars, he is a strong runner with good feet and field vision, and popped off runs of 22 and 11 yards Thursday night on his way to a 4.7 yards-per-carry average.

The USC product was waived by Jacksonville last September and spent most of the season bouncing on and off the Cowboys roster before the Jets signed him off Dallas’ practice squad in December. Now he’s hoping to stick through Saturday.

“I believe I earned my wings to be a Jet,” Washington said. “That’s my final thoughts. But as I said before, it’s not my say-so to say if I got them or not.”

Notes: The Jets will not announce their cuts until 6 p.m. Saturday, but according to several people with direct knowledge of the Jets’ moves, the following players have been let go. They requested anonymity because the team has not announced the moves: FB Jason Davis, WR Larry Taylor, C Robby Felix, S Keith Fitzhugh, LB Tim Knicky, S Emanuel Cook, DT Ty Steinkuhler, DT Martin Tevaseu, LB Boris Lee and DE Jason Lamb. LB Ricky Foley was also cut, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported. Ryan has said S Donovan Warren and LB Joshua Mauga, who were both held out much of the preseason with concussions, will not make the roster.

Jenny Vrentas: jvrentas@starledger.com

I can't wait for the Hard Knocks vignette where Mike Tannenenbaum gets to explain exactly how Joe McKnight beat out Chauncey Washington. What a joke.

I agree. Chauncey Washington has been a player that I've been rooting for since we signed him. I went over to youtube and watched what kind of runner he was at USC. I said then and I'll say it now he reminds me of Thomas Jones while Joe McKnightmare is Blair Thomas. McKnightmare hasn't earned a spot of this roster he is only making the team as someone put it "to save face". A guy like Belichick would have no problem cutting a player like him outright, whether he was only 1 of 4 draft picks we had. the year that the Pats drafted Merriwether they had like a dozen picks and by Thanksgiving the #1 pick was the only one left. Unfortunately the Jets FO doesn't have the guts to do the right thing by Washington and instead will keep McKnight who I have zero faith in if the game was on the line and he had the ball.

A guy like Belichick would have no problem cutting a player like him outright, whether he was only 1 of 4 draft picks we had.

I don't know if there is another guy like Belichick in that regard, Jimmy. Very, very rare that a GM will cut a fourth round pick, and it would probably be difficult for even Beli to cut one that he traded up for.

For what he cost, I'll be happy if he pans out as a punt returner. I doubt he'll ever be a between the tackles guy, but maybe he can be a third down back in the receiving game. Kid should be sleeping with a football right now. He has some ability.

As for these last couple cuts, I wonder if the Jets are trying to generate trade interest of their own. Maybe trying to get a late pick for a guy like Washington.

this was the year I was talking about-so it was 9 picks and they sent a couple away in the Moss deal too I believe. Every other guy didn't make it through the season

Rnd Name College

1 Brandon Meriweather Miami (Fla.)

4 Kareem Brown Miami (Fla.)

5 Clint Oldenburg Colorado State

6 Justin Rogers Southern Methodist

6 Mike Richardson Notre Dame

6 Justise Hairston Central Connecticut State

6 Corey Hilliard Oklahoma State

7 Oscar Lua USC

7 Mike Elgin Iowa

I don't know if there is another guy like Belichick in that regard, Jimmy. Very, very rare that a GM will cut a fourth round pick, and it would probably be difficult for even Beli to cut one that he traded up for.

Belichick doesn't trade up for players like McKnight. He will take a chance on guys that have potential and question marks but he ain't gonna trade up for one. Actually it is pretty rare he trades up at all.

But BB is willing to admit that he made a mistake and cut his loses early than hang onto a guy if he feels another player is better but was drafted later or was an UDFA, etc. I can not imagine BB ever saying that he is going to keep a player on the 53 that he doesn't feel is capable of being part of the 45 on game day.

BB would either cut him or he would have some sort of injury that resulted in him being shipped to the IR for a year.

Belichick doesn't trade up for players like McKnight. He will take a chance on guys that have potential and question marks but he ain't gonna trade up for one. Actually it is pretty rare he trades up at all.

But BB is willing to admit that he made a mistake and cut his loses early than hang onto a guy if he feels another player is better but was drafted later or was an UDFA, etc. I can not imagine BB ever saying that he is going to keep a player on the 53 that he doesn't feel is capable of being part of the 45 on game day.

BB would either cut him or he would have some sort of injury that resulted in him being shipped to the IR for a year.

yup this one reeks of Mike Tannenbaum not wanting to look bad in the eyes of his peers. It's real important to him to win that NFL exec of the year thingy he's been trying so hard to add to resume'

Belichick has a little Parcells in him in that he'll draft a player who does one extremely specific thing well--a TE who he sees on tape that chips the DE well that might help him beat the Colts, or the OG with good feet that can get to the second level and will help him beat the Jets. Then, like Parcells, he gets pissed when the kid doesn't rapidly learn the rest of the game right away and lops their heads off.

I agree with all of this.

Just saying that he's extremely rare in this league with that attitude. I don't think there's another guy cutting fourth round picks - and that includes all of Beli's protégés around the league. Just doesn't happen.

McKnight's certainly been a disappointment, but he has upside. He would not clear waivers. Someone would take a chance on him. And as much as it sucks to waste a spot on the 53 man roster waiting for this kid to be able to hold onto a football, it would suck worse if he went on to have a good career on another team starting later this year.

I have never understood either the expectations of joe mcknight nor the assumption that Mr. T will not let him be cut. He was a 4th round pick, for christ sake. Not a first or a second or even a third. Leon Washingtons come around in the fourth round about once a decade.

I have never understood either the expectations of joe mcknight nor the assumption that Mr. T will not let him be cut. He was a 4th round pick, for christ sake. Not a first or a second or even a third. Leon Washingtons come around in the fourth round about once a decade.

It was a trade up as well, so McKnight cost 2 picks.

I agree. Chauncey Washington has been a player that I've been rooting for since we signed him. I went over to youtube and watched what kind of runner he was at USC. I said then and I'll say it now he reminds me of Thomas Jones while Joe McKnightmare is Blair Thomas. McKnightmare hasn't earned a spot of this roster he is only making the team as someone put it "to save face". A guy like Belichick would have no problem cutting a player like him outright, whether he was only 1 of 4 draft picks we had. the year that the Pats drafted Merriwether they had like a dozen picks and by Thanksgiving the #1 pick was the only one left. Unfortunately the Jets FO doesn't have the guts to do the right thing by Washington and instead will keep McKnight who I have zero faith in if the game was on the line and he had the ball.

BS he hates Maroney and cannot get him cut because the team thinks he is still a player.

Someone would take a chance on him. And as much as it sucks to waste a spot on the 53 man roster waiting for this kid to be able to hold onto a football, it would suck worse if he went on to have a good career on another team starting later this year.

This is the part I disagree with.

Seriously, what are the odds? You said you would be happy if he became a punt return or serviceable 3rd down back. Yeah, it is possible he gets picked up and turns into a player that is worth having on a game day roster. But the chances he will ever be game changing player is almost nil.

Also just because he was successful somewhere else doesn't mean he would have been on the team. Maybe the spark he would need to be successful is being cut an picked up somewhere else or maybe he and Anthony Lynnn aren't on the same wavelength and anther coach could reach him.

The potential upside of this kid compared to his lack of performance says he ain't worth a roster choice. It is a matter of caring more about looking good than being good.

If he was picked up by NE, MIA or Buf and scored the winning TD against the Jets in a division game...well then you have moved into "it would suck worse" territory.

Yeah I agree, it is not just Tanny. And there are folks who are even worse about this. There is some speculation that the reason why Sage was traded to the Giants is he was looking better than Jackson and one was a Childress pick and the other not, and Childress didn't want to have his guy look worse than the guy he inherited. If true, it is the ultimate in stupid. BB marches to the beat to his own drummer.

BS he hates Maroney and cannot get him cut because the team thinks he is still a player.

If BB realy wanted him gone he would be gone. And there is some specuation he won't be on the final 53. But there is a huge difference between the two running backs one was drafted in the first round and turned out to be really more like second or third round talent, but still a guy worth having on the team. The other was a 4th rounder that should not have been drafted at all or maybe in the 6th or 7th round. Both are draft day mistakes. But you don't cut a guy just cause he is not as good as his draft positions say he ought to be. You cut a guy cause he is not one of your 53 best options.

This is the part I disagree with.

Seriously, what are the odds? You said you would be happy if he became a punt return or serviceable 3rd down back. Yeah, it is possible he gets picked up and turns into a player that is worth having on a game day roster. But the chances he will ever be game changing player is almost nil.

Also just because he was successful somewhere else doesn't mean he would have been on the team. Maybe the spark he would need to be successful is being cut an picked up somewhere else or maybe he and Anthony Lynnn aren't on the same wavelength and anther coach could reach him.

The potential upside of this kid compared to his lack of performance says he ain't worth a roster choice. It is a matter of caring more about looking good than being good.

If he was picked up by NE, MIA or Buf and scored the winning TD against the Jets in a division game...well then you have moved into "it would suck worse" territory.

Yeah I agree, it is not just Tanny. And there are folks who are even worse about this. There is some speculation that the reason why Sage was traded to the Giants is he was looking better than Jackson and one was a Childress pick and the other not, and Childress didn't want to have his guy look worse than the guy he inherited. If true, it is the ultimate in stupid. BB marches to the beat to his own drummer.

Anthony Lynn isn't the guy fumbling the ball 3 times this summer bro-McKnightmare is the guy doing it and he's also the guy that let 2 punts sail over his head to be downed inside the 5 yard line Thursday night-TWO!!!! Maybe Lynn has some culpability here, maybe he should make McKnight walk around everywhere holding a football-that's what I would do if I were his coach-why that hasn't been suggested is beyond me...it's the 1st thing I thought of...You've become an excellent poster here GWAGH...IMHO

Anthony Lynn isn't the guy fumbling the ball 3 times this summer bro-McKnightmare is the guy doing it and he's also the guy that let 2 punts sail over his head to be downed inside the 5 yard line Thursday night-TWO!!!! Maybe Lynn has some culpability here, maybe he should make McKnight walk around everywhere holding a football-that's what I would do if I were his coach-why that hasn't been suggested is beyond me...it's the 1st thing I thought of...You've become an excellent poster here GWAGH...IMHO

No, Anthony Lynn isn't the one fumbling the ball. The onus is on McKnight.

But have you ever had a coach or teacher you didn't connect with and thought was horrible, even though half the class thought he/she was the best coach/teacher in the world. Likewise you ever have a teacher/coach you connected with great, even though all your friends though he/she made absolutely no sense. Same deal. It possible (although I think unlikely) the McKnight just ain't a good fit for the Jets. Not that the Jets are objectively a bad place for RBs, just that it hasn't clicked and could elsewhere. That is why you can't always call a cut a bad move if the guy is decent elsewhere.

Thank you for that last comment. I like your posts as well. You talk football as a straight shooter. Not homerism "we rule you drool" as some poster do.

yea it can happen-sometimes there is a personality conflict-maybe that's part of what is going on or maybe McKnight hasn't EARNED the respect either by coming in out of shape and then underacheiving and playing pretty much like a pu$$y so far

JennyVrentas Confirmed the Brooks Foster waived/injured reported by @LisaZimmerman. If I can confirm Dan Gay, that means Jets are done...

JennyVrentas ... and that also means David Clowney, Chauncey Washington and Danny Woodhead are all safe. And CB Brian Jackson. Checking my math

JennyVrentas Confirmed the Brooks Foster waived/injured reported by @LisaZimmerman. If I can confirm Dan Gay, that means Jets are done...

JennyVrentas ... and that also means David Clowney, Chauncey Washington and Danny Woodhead are all safe. And CB Brian Jackson. Checking my math

I hope you are right SFJ. If Rex had cut Washington I would have really lost a lot of respect for him. Washington has earned a spot on this team. Even got a game ball.

Unlike McKnight, Washington will contribute this year, and should Greene or LT get banged up will be a battering ram for a game or so.

For what he cost, I'll be happy if he pans out as a punt returner. I doubt he'll ever be a between the tackles guy, but maybe he can be a third down back in the receiving game. Kid should be sleeping with a football right now. He has some ability.

As for these last couple cuts, I wonder if the Jets are trying to generate trade interest of their own. Maybe trying to get a late pick for a guy like Washington.

Quentin Moses comes to mind. One-time top half of first round projection, drops to 1st pick in round 3 to Oakland, and they cut him September 1st. lol

I hope you are right SFJ. If Rex had cut Washington I would have really lost a lot of respect for him. Washington has earned a spot on this team. Even got a game ball.

Unlike McKnight, Washington will contribute this year, and should Greene or LT get banged up will be a battering ram for a game or so.

yea they've confirmed it and Rex will have a PC at 6 to pretty much seal it

I agree with all of this.

Just saying that he's extremely rare in this league with that attitude. I don't think there's another guy cutting fourth round picks - and that includes all of Beli's protégés around the league. Just doesn't happen.

None of Belichick's proteges may have this willingness. But his mentor sure does. Dolphins cut last years #2 and #3.

None of Belichick's proteges may have this willingness. But his mentor sure does. Dolphins cut last years #2 and #3.

Yeah, but that's a year later. If McKnight fails to progress, it would not surprise me at all if he's cut next year.

Yeah, but that's a year later. If McKnight fails to progress, it would not surprise me at all if he's cut next year.

McKnight was a 4th rounder. Cutting him next year after no progress doesn't qualify as admitting a mistake early, nor would cutting Gholston next year. Cutting your #2 and #3 from last year on the same day means you have seen enough and are willing to take the heat in the press over "bad drafting." But, yeah it ain't the same thing as cutting them year one.

Archived