No closing Coles deal today folks

SoFlaJets

Count on it, Coles passes his physical. A toe injury like Coles may have is something that is open to interpretation as to how serious it is. Plenty of atheletes and regular guys have arthritic toes or previously broken toes etc... The Jets want this to happen and know that he will be at least as mobile as he was last year. Moss has passed and Coles will pass as well.

Wow. Has anyone read the Washington Post Article on Coles? Snyder should be committed.

Redskins, Coles Just Could Not Reconcile

By Nunyo Demasio

Washington Post Staff Writer

Washington Post.com/March 9, 2005

The pivotal moment for Laveranues Coles occurred during the regular season finale, when the Washington Redskins defeated the Minnesota Vikings, 21-18, at FedEx Field. During the season, the Redskins wide receiver had expressed displeasure to Coach Joe Gibbs about Washington's conservative offense, and the two met near the midway point of the season to try to work things out. But Coles felt that little had changed in Gibbs's system the rest of the way. And with the Redskins eliminated from the playoffs, and tailback Clinton Portis out with an injury, Coles searched for a sign that things would change for next season.

Against the Vikings, however, Coles finished with three catches for 37 yards as Gibbs called 31 rushes, mostly for reserve tailback Ladell Betts. Despite the victory, Coles felt that Gibbs's play-calling indicated that he had no future in Washington.

"That was the final nail in the coffin," Coles, who was traded to the New York Jets last weekend for wide receiver Santana Moss, said yesterday. "He [Gibbs] wasn't flexible. We didn't see eye to eye. I just felt like it [the offense] wasn't for me. He knew that. I knew that. So we felt that it was best that we both go our separate ways."

After the season, Gibbs and Coles attempted to reconcile at Redskins Park during two extended meetings.

On Jan. 3, the day after the season finale, Gibbs instructed an assistant to get Coles for a meeting. But Coles left Redskins Park without talking to Gibbs. Coles said he returned to the facility later to meet with Gibbs. "I was wrong for walking out," Coles said. "I admit that, but I went back."

Gibbs initially broached the matter of Coles's right big toe injury, which has bothered him the past two seasons. But the discussion eventually turned to Coles's desire to leave. According to Coles, Gibbs said that his departure could be worked out if Coles forfeited some money. "He said: 'The other option is you might have to stay here,' " Coles recalled. " 'I know you don't want to do that because it wouldn't be comfortable for either of us.' "

After the meeting, Coles said that he left it up to his agent, Roosevelt Barnes, to work out a departure. Coles said that being released was initially Redskins owner Daniel Snyder's idea. In return, Coles would forfeit the final payment of his signing bonus: $5 million due April 1.

"It went from: 'Okay,' to 'We never shook on it,' " Coles said, "to 'We never even said it.' When me and Gibbs talked about it first, it seemed like that's what was going to happen."

Gibbs, in meetings most of yesterday, did not return a call seeking comment. Snyder's spokesman, Karl Swanson, did not return voice messages seeking comment.

Gibbs has said that both sides never made such an agreement. Barnes didn't return several calls yesterday. Coles said later that Gibbs told him in a telephone conversation that such an agreement was never finalized.

Indeed in the final meeting in mid-February, Gibbs tried to reconcile with his disgruntled player, Coles said. Gibbs explained he planned to open up the offense. Coles said he apologized if he had been a locker-room distraction.

Coles said he took notes during the meeting. "It went great," Coles said. "After that, he thought we might be able to work things out."

However, Coles said that the situation disintegrated after a Feb. 21 article in the Washington Post that described his unhappiness with the Redskins and reported that the two sides had reached an oral agreement that would likely lead to his release. The Redskins and Coles accused each other of disclosing private information, Coles said, and disagreed on a solution.

"We agreed to keep everything out of the media," Coles said. "But once everything hit the fan and came out, they just went ballistic. They started talking nasty and everything went south. It went from night to day.

"I'm not totally innocent, I admit that. I was frustrated this whole year. But they didn't handle things much better. I think people's pride and manhood got in the way. Mr. Snyder was made to look like a liar because it looked like he was backing out of an agreement."

Coles said that he knew that things reached the point of no return two weeks ago after a phone conversation with Snyder, who, Coles said, threatened to make life miserable for him if the team was forced to bring him back. Coles said that Snyder was angry that the wideout had initially caused the trade with the Jets for Moss to collapse on Feb. 26 by demanding a contract extension.

"He said: 'If you come back here, you'll never play again,' " Coles recalled, adding that Snyder promised to send him a flat-screen TV on which to watch games. " 'We'll bench you for two years then we'll cut you.' He said: 'If you come back, we'll torture you.' "

"Once he was threatening me, I said to myself: 'Man, I know I have to leave.' I knew I couldn't come back because of the way they handled it."

Coles said that he was so disturbed by Snyder's remarks that he called later. "I said. 'Why would you threaten my career? I've done nothing wrong,' " Coles said. "And [snyder] admitted that he was being emotional."

During an extensive telephone interview yesterday, Coles expressed ambivalence about how his departure occurred. Coles said that he was reluctant to criticize Gibbs -- "he's a legend," Coles said -- but felt compelled to speak the truth about an offense that took too long to open up.

And while Coles said that his former coach was too resistant to change in an outdated offense, the wideout believes that Gibbs's determination will eventually pay off.

"The best thing I can say about him is he's proven that he can win," Coles said. "And I know with his determination he's going to get that team turned around. He told us that whether it's this year, next year or the year after, he's going to have guys on his team that are going to want to win and fight for him. With his work ethic, he will eventually get that done. But I was just too miserable to stay aboard."

Coles added that despite his criticism of the organization, he wishes the Redskins well, especially former teammates.

The Redskins signed Coles as a restricted free agent in March 2003. Coles, 27, played his first season with Washington under coach Steve Spurrier, whose downfield passing game suited the 5-foot-11, 193-pound receiver.

Despite Coles's complaints about Gibbs's offense, he finished with the second-most passes thrown his way in the NFL last year, according to Stats Inc. The Redskins threw in Coles's direction 168 times -- two fewer than wideout Chad Johnson of the Cincinnati Bengals. However, most of the balls to Coles were intermediate passes, and Coles finished with only one touchdown -- on an option pass from Portis.

Coles said that he became more miserable each week of the season because there were few signs that the offense was being altered. "With the losing, it became depressing," Coles said. "It wore on me mentally."

Coles said that he grew most disenchanted late in the season when, he said, the coaching staff went out its way to help Portis try to reach 1,500 yards. (Portis would have become the first player in NFL history to reach the milestone in his first three seasons.) After Portis suffered an injury in Washington's next-to-last game, Coles said, Gibbs dismissed Coles's desire to finish with at least 1,000 receiving yards.

"When it was my turn, they threw me three balls in the first half," said Coles, who finished with a career-high 90 catches for 950 yards, but with a career-low 10.6 yards per catch. "I told him, 'Coach I don't feel like I'm one of your guys, so I need to go somewhere else.' "

What would Coles miss about Washington?

He paused: "The fans and some of my teammates. The past football season was the most miserable season I had as a football player. I should never feel the way I felt, and I never want to feel that way again."

Someone has to say it ... Coles comes off like a CANCER in this column as well

After a "WIN" he's complaining about his role?

AFTER A WIN?????

And he's bitching cause Gibbs didn't get him "HIS NUMBERS"

What a selfish, self-centered little creep

OBTW, Gibbs is a decent man ... VERY DECENT ... and a HOF coach

If Gibbs was a little rusty after a 15 Year layoff what he deserved was his players support till he knocks off the rust, not some selfish little piss-ant annoying him about "HIS NUMBERS"

Snyder is another story ... he always comes off as a dewbag cause that's what he is ... but Coles does not come off well here either

IMO the only person who walks away from this affair with his dignity and reputation in tact is the only one {of the three} who had any class to begin with ... JOE GIBBS

The other two walk away looking like two idiots who deserved one another

whos your source???? LIMOLADY...LOL

Just got a call from my source at Hofstra. Coles is on his way right now and it looks good.

The press conference will be tonight if everything goes as expected.

Someone has to say it ... Coles comes off like a CANCER in this column as well

After a "WIN" he's complaining about his role?

AFTER A WIN?????

And he's bitching cause Gibbs didn't get him "HIS NUMBERS"

What a selfish, self-centered little creep

If Gibbs was a little rusty after a 15 Year layoff what he deserved was his players support till he knocks off the rust, not some selfish little piss-ant annoying him about "HIS NUMBERS"

Snyder is another story ... he always comes off as a dewbag cause that's what he is ... but Coles does not come off well here either

IMO the only person who walks away from this affair with his dignity and reputation in tact is the only one {of the three} who had any class to begin with ... JOE GIBBS

The other two walk away looking like two idiots who deserved one another

Yes, it was after a win, however it was after the season as well. If I am the receiver who has a problem with the system, I decide to play out the rest of the season and see if things improve and then address it after the season. Isn't that what Coles did?

Dude, you have GOT to get your lips off ol Coach Joe's rear end Hambone. Joe Gibbs WAS a HOF coach, the same way the Joe Paterno WAS a HOF college coach. Neither looks too good right now....

The fact, my dear Hambone, is that Joe Gobbs hasn;t made a single good decision since returning to the NFL, either through his own ineptness, or due in part to the meddling of GM/Owner Dan Snyder.

Joe Gibbs may indeed be a "decent man", as if THAT had anything to do with anything when it comes to football and winning and good decisions. But so far in his return, he is a loser through and through.

After all, anyone who overpays (by millions) his chosen annointed QB (whom no other teams really wanted) simply because he shares the same religious views (and forget how past his prime the QB was) is not thinking correctly when it comes to winning.

--Signing and Starting Brunell....Mistake

--Staying with Brunell after it was clear he was done....Mistake

--Getting Rid of Champ Baily for Clinton "Completely Wrong for My Offense" Portis....Mistake

--His Offense, as a whole, in 2004.....Mistake (2nd worst in NFL).

--His GM duties....lost Coles, Smoot and Pierce, took 9 M cap hit, wasted all his space on Samuals....Mistake

Joe Gibbs said (and I'm paraphrasing here) "We will keep our 'core redskins', L.Coles....F.Smoot....A. Pierce, no matter what it takes."

Well, now they are all gone...akin to "Coles will be a Jet as long as I'm here - H.Edwards". I am willing to bet good solid american money you CRUSHED Herm for those comments Hambone.....

So where is some LEGITIMATE opinion on the failure that is the return of Joe Gibbs.

Dude, you have GOT to get your lips off ol Coach Joe's rear end Hambone. Joe Gibbs WAS a HOF coach, the same way the Joe Paterno WAS a HOF college coach. Neither looks too good right now....

The fact, my dear Hambone, is that Joe Gobbs hasn;t made a single good decision since returning to the NFL, either through his own ineptness, or due in part to the meddling of GM/Owner Dan Snyder.

Joe Gibbs may indeed be a "decent man", as if THAT had anything to do with anything when it comes to football and winning and good decisions. But so far in his return, he is a loser through and through.

After all, anyone who overpays (by millions) his chosen annointed QB (whom no other teams really wanted) simply because he shares the same religious views (and forget how past his prime the QB was) is not thinking correctly when it comes to winning.

--Signing and Starting Brunell....Mistake

--Staying with Brunell after it was clear he was done....Mistake

--Getting Rid of Champ Baily for Clinton "Completely Wrong for My Offense" Portis....Mistake

--His Offense, as a whole, in 2004.....Mistake (2nd worst in NFL).

--His GM duties....lost Coles, Smoot and Pierce, took 9 M cap hit, wasted all his space on Samuals....Mistake

Joe Gibbs said (and I'm paraphrasing here) "We will keep our 'core redskins', L.Coles....F.Smoot....A. Pierce, no matter what it takes."

Well, now they are all gone...akin to "Coles will be a Jet as long as I'm here - H.Edwards". I am willing to bet good solid american money you CRUSHED Herm for those comments Hambone.....

So where is some LEGITIMATE opinion on the failure that is the return of Joe Gibbs.

Excellent points WF..And I'm a big Gibbs Fan! Could

it be that some were right and time has passed him

by?? :roll:

War, I never criticized Herm for letting Coles leave for that kind of insane money and taking the #13 overall pick ... I thought it was the smart move ... and I also felt Coles comments about Herm {on his way out the door} were totally uncalled for and UNGRATEFUL to boot, cause Herm {like Gibbs} is a decent man who did not deserve that

Just take your money and leave ... there was no need to trash Herman Edwards on your way out the door ... there's a salary cap and we couldn't afford to match ... END OF STORY

But it seems to me this nitwit has a chip on his shoulder ... every divorce ends ugly for this little twit ... happened when he left Fla State and trashed Bowden ... happened when he left the Jets and trashed Herm ... and now it's the SAME OLE SAME OLE

Anyone see a pattern here?

Just because the guy is a Jet again, lets not make him out to be a good guy ... because he's not

yeah well it's a good thing they give out rings based on who wins games not who is a good guy

you know me - when it comes to players the more crack the better! !

I'm with you, Bit ... I wanted Randy Moss and I know he's a creep, because I also know he's a great player, so I would endure all else if he helped us win games

Ditto Coles ... HE'S JUST A BAD GUY ... but I'll root for him to succeed cause his success is linked to our success as a team

Sav,

No, I don't think the GAME, the X's and O's, has passed Gibbs by at all.

Here's my position on Gibbs:

#1 He's taken on too much. During his first run, he was NOT the GM, and was almost always over-ruled by both Bethard and Casserly (two great GM's btw) on player decisions. Joe Gibbs was never known for his brilliant player evealuation decisions.

#2 He works for the worst owner in the NFL today. Dan Snyder, in his time here, has been wrong at every single thing he has done. He is the worst kind of meddler, the "fantasy football" guy, who runs his team like it's Madden 2005. Money doesn't buy wins without knowledge to correctly utilize that money.

#3 He has grown stubbon in his older years. Where once Joe Gibbs would have changed his "O" to fit his talent and the defenses he played against....now he is trying to force-feed his "O" on the rest of the league. And the league ate it up.

#4 The Salary Cap MATTERS. Joe Gibbs has made a number of verbal blunders and cap-related errors in his breif second tenure. Reality is he never had to deal with it before, and has no experience with it. That isn;t good, to say the least. His complete inexperience leads to errors...like the Coles situation and the 9 Million Cap Hit they just took to get a WORSE WR....

I'm with you, Bit ... I wanted Randy Moss and I know he's a creep, because I also know he's a great player, so I would endure all else if he helped us win games

Ditto Coles ... HE'S JUST A BAD GUY ... but I'll root for him to succeed cause his success is linked to our success as a team

Coles has a complex of not being appreciated by his peers. It started at FSU, continued with the Jets and followed him with the skins...he's a punk and there's no way around that...hopefully he can return to his 2002 form for us...he'll still be a punk though.

When I made my predictions for The 2004 NFL Season.

I had Joe Gibbs and The Redskins at 6 and 10 and out of the playoffs and Voila, Guesss what happened.

I got ripped for not picking The Skins to make the playoffs. Ripped for picking The Pats to beat The Eagles in the superbowl...

The game has not passed Gibbs by.

The Gibbs situation reminds me exactly of The Vermeil situation in St. Louis.

Both hall of fame coaches who were out of the game for a long time. They both brought back a ton of their old long time assistants with them.

They both had losing seasons when they came back. And all the critics said that the game had passed Vermeil by.

The same thing is being said of Joe Gibbs now. Joe Gibbs didn't stop being a good head coach. You don't just turn it off.

But in this league, You need the talent and you need some luck. It's going to take time for Gibbs to get things right in Washington. Quick fixes don't work in The NFL. Snyder still hasn't learned that.

Does Gibbs have the patience to stick it out? That's the big question.

Archived