Please fire or demote Shotty, Thank You.

ECURB

Fire Shotty?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Should the JETS fire or demote Shotty?

• Yes
    • No

Do I think he is a great OC? No.

Do I think he is the major problem with the Jets offense? No.

Players need to execute. That's the problem.

That sums it up.

I dont think Schotty is a good OC. But its not like he's ever had a QB worth a damn. The holds true today.

If Jets fans cant admit that Sanchez isnt very good and was awful yesterday so they need to pin this on Schotty...so be it. But 3 decisions/throws that should have been made werent. That was the difference in the game. And in games like that, thats all it takes.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you watch that 2nd to last series? How do you allow your QB to go sneak on 1st and 10 when you are in a position where you are playing for 4 downs and most likely going for a TD? How do you call all deep patterns on 3rd and 4th downs? Thats bizzare playcalling. Its like that final play in Denver and just because the Jets got lucky does not make it right. Unless Holmes was supposed to do something different and was covered too tightly, (which Ill admit is possible), there was no other pattern on the field even close to the first down marker. Edwards was running to the end zone. Cotchery was on a deep post. Keller was about 5 yards beyond where the Jets needed to go. You dont have to take crazy chances all game.

Secondly as an OC that has full power over the offense and playcalling you have to adjust. You see your QB stinks on the field. His accuracy has been awful all year and now his receivers have decided that its too tough to catch a football- you have to resort to running the football even when the fans boo you and the Jets arent breaking big runs. A 3-0 game is now dictating to you that the game has become a sloppy grind it out smashmouth game. You have to start playing field position and using your defense to get you a short field. You have to grab that feel for the game, realize what you wanted to do isnt working, and start to play more ball control move the sticks football. The Jets didnt do that. Their goal was to throw the ball 30 yards a pop, act like they were the greatest show on turf when one of those passes was actually caught, and then proceed to turn the ball over or drop the football right after those big plays. This has been an issue with this guy for years even if you want to give him the pass for the Favre season where Favre just decided to call his own shots those last couple of games.

First off, that QB sneak was done so the Packers could not challenge the previous play.

I seriously doubt that Edwards and Cotch were the primary receivers on the 3rd and 4th down plays. Either the guys (Keller and Holmes) beyond the 1st down marker were covered or Sanchez just taking a chance going deep, I don't think that was a Shotty designed play.

And I agree with you, I think the Jets could have run the ball down the Packers throats the entire 2nd half.

That sums it up.

I dont think Schotty is a good OC. But its not like he's ever had a QB worth a damn. The holds true today.

If Jets fans cant admit that Sanchez isnt very good and was awful yesterday so they need to pin this on Schotty...so be it. But 3 decisions/throws that should have been made werent. That was the difference in the game. And in games like that, thats all it takes.

Why do I have a feeling that the only QB you'd accept is Tim Tebow?

Did you watch that 2nd to last series? How do you allow your QB to go sneak on 1st and 10 when you are in a position where you are playing for 4 downs and most likely going for a TD? How do you call all deep patterns on 3rd and 4th downs? Thats bizzare playcalling. Its like that final play in Denver and just because the Jets got lucky does not make it right. Unless Holmes was supposed to do something different and was covered too tightly, (which Ill admit is possible), there was no other pattern on the field even close to the first down marker. Edwards was running to the end zone. Cotchery was on a deep post. Keller was about 5 yards beyond where the Jets needed to go. You dont have to take crazy chances all game.

Secondly as an OC that has full power over the offense and playcalling you have to adjust. You see your QB stinks on the field. His accuracy has been awful all year and now his receivers have decided that its too tough to catch a football- you have to resort to running the football even when the fans boo you and the Jets arent breaking big runs. A 3-0 game is now dictating to you that the game has become a sloppy grind it out smashmouth game. You have to start playing field position and using your defense to get you a short field. You have to grab that feel for the game, realize what you wanted to do isnt working, and start to play more ball control move the sticks football. The Jets didnt do that. Their goal was to throw the ball 30 yards a pop, act like they were the greatest show on turf when one of those passes was actually caught, and then proceed to turn the ball over or drop the football right after those big plays. This has been an issue with this guy for years even if you want to give him the pass for the Favre season where Favre just decided to call his own shots those last couple of games.

You're damned if you do. Against the Ravens, he wasnt aggressive enough. Yesterday, he was too aggressive. Sanchez should have run the damn ball and made it manageable 4th down. He admitted that. They play broke down and players went deep to try and break free. His initial reads were not in the endzone.

I agree with your ball control assessment. Would have been smart to call that type of game yesterday. I dont think anyone other Gato actually thinks Schotty is good at his job, but I truly dont think we have this uproar with a couple of better decisions and finishing some plays left on the field.

Has he explained the QB sneak yet. When it happened I though maybe he was expecting a challenge so he just wanted to get the ball snapped...and was that Sanchez's call or Schotty's? My initial thought was they feared Sanchez crossed the LOS and they didnt want to let a challenge take place.

That sums it up.

I agree it's tough to drop all of yesterday into Schotty's lap, but at some point, Schotty will have to take the fall for not finding a QB. Pre-draft, he held individual workouts for both Clemens and Sanchez. Clemens is a lost cause, and Sanchez is ridiculously streaky. Right or wrong, Schott is the common denominator in five years of spotty offensive play.

Secondly as an OC that has full power over the offense and playcalling you have to adjust.

That is the problem. Whats he going to adjust to? And btw I agree 100% with your assessment except for the QB sneak. When we came out running the ball and didn't get anywhere, was it the the O lines fault? Or LT and Greene suddenly cant hit holes? Or there are no holes?

I'm hard pressed to believe the O line and our RB's digressed to garbage over the bye so perhaps the holes were plugged. Thats when PLAY DESIGN and PLAY CALL dissect what an opposing D is doing and call for a different formation and different motion to create a hole. The same is true, only worse, with the passing attack. Were there guys open? Yep - but how often and were they the primaries? We don't have a polished QB, we have a young talented QB that doesn't see the field well yet and doesn't throw the ball well when flustered.

A good offense adjusts like in a chess game. Schottenheimer doesn't even know how to design good plays, let alone call them at the right time.

Why do I have a feeling that the only QB you'd accept is Tim Tebow?

Dumb.

Sanchez played bad yesterday, why you cant admit that is your own problem.

I agree it's tough to drop all of yesterday into Schotty's lap, but at some point, Schotty will have to take the fall for not finding a QB. Pre-draft, he held individual workouts for both Clemens and Sanchez. Clemens is a lost cause, and Sanchez is ridiculously streaky. Right or wrong, Schott is the common denominator in five years of spotty offensive play.

This is true, and I dont want to all of a sudden be pinned as a Schotty apologist. I think he stinks, have for a long time. Hell, I used to have "fire B Schitt" in my thingy under my Avatar.

But yesterday was the offense as a whole. Sanchez was off, our WR's were horrible, we had some awkward calls on the INT's, we had 2 fumbles one that took a lucky bounce from LT of all players, and we had a back breaking holding call when finally got into the redzone.

Give GB credit, they had our number and our offense didnt respond. Coaching included. But the offense still had the chance to make plays and they didnt come through. Bottom line.

Excellent post !!

Can you admit that Sanchez had a horrible game yesterday?

I've already said as much in multiple threads. I just don't think all of the criticism is accurate and I don't think he was the primary reason for the loss.

He had a bad game. It happens. Even Tom Brady and Peyton Manning have bad games now and then.

You're damned if you do. Against the Ravens, he wasnt aggressive enough. Yesterday, he was too aggressive. Sanchez should have run the damn ball and made it manageable 4th down. He admitted that. They play broke down and players went deep to try and break free. His initial reads were not in the endzone.

I agree with your ball control assessment. Would have been smart to call that type of game yesterday. I dont think anyone other Gato actually thinks Schotty is good at his job, but I truly dont think we have this uproar with a couple of better decisions and finishing some plays left on the field.

Has he explained the QB sneak yet. When it happened I though maybe he was expecting a challenge so he just wanted to get the ball snapped...and was that Sanchez's call or Schotty's? My initial thought was they feared Sanchez crossed the LOS and they didnt want to let a challenge take place.

Someone pointed out that maybe the Jets felt they were going to catch the Packers subbing with 12 men on the field and wanted to get an extra 5. I could buy that logic more than the over the line, only because I think he was a long way behind the line when he threw the ball. He ran up but backpedaled before he was even close. From where the blue line was on the screen I don think he was even within two yards of it. The coaching staff should have been on top of that and in his ear telling him not to rush the play if that is why they chose to do it.

As for the Ravens game I dont think that was on Schotty nearly as much as everyone else. I think that was more on Rex having his QB play with his tail between his legs than the Jets playing ultra conservative. I dont think there was any read progression in that game. He had a target and there was a defender within 10 yards so he just dumped the ball. Thats more on Sanchez, IMO.

It requires good coaching to play good football.

...And they haven't gotten that? Thet team is 5-2 coming off a season they went to the AFC Championship game with a rookie QB and the coaching is the issue?

Still makes no sense.

Accept that they had a sh*tty game. It happens.

...And they haven't gotten that? Thet team is 5-2 coming off a season they went to the AFC Championship game with a rookie QB and the coaching is the issue?

Still makes no sense.

It makes as much sense as attributing blame only to players and credit only to coaches.

It makes as much sense as attributing blame only to players and credit only to coaches.

Is that what I'm doing? No one actually reads my posts anymore, right?

I think the players had a bad day. Whatever blame that gets goes to them. When it comes to the actual football playing part of winning football games, they sucked and beat themselves.

The coaches also had a terrible day, including the Savior, Rex Ryan. His challenges sucked, his timeouts sucked....The Great Mike Westhoff let his punter go free...a terrible call since he didn't make it since that's how real analysis works. Schotty's offense looks like sh*t. sh*t happens.

Attributing most of the blame in a loss to guys who don't even touch the ball on Sunday is just lame and half assed....IMO.

Yes well...if one side is allowed to react irrationally then I have the freedom to do the same.

I think the players had a bad day. I'm not blaming them for it. I'm not calling for anyone to be fired. Sh*t happens. I know there must be blood after a loss, and so I apologize for my irrationality with that. I should know better.

Why not just be rational?

Why not just be rational?

And say that a loss is a loss, sh*t happens, and move on?

I am saying that. I nearly always say that after a loss. I also choose to hold the players responsible for their f*ck ups...something that seems to be a novel concept on this board and one that is looked at as if it's actually that ridiculous.

I also just happen to think that the vast majority really can't wait to pin a Jets loss on the OC so I allow that to make me react irrationally. I think it's hacky at best.

I am saying that. I nearly always say that after a loss. I also choose to hold the players responsible for their f*ck ups...something that seems to be a novel concept on this board and one that is looked at as if it's actually that ridiculous.

I also just happen to think that the vast majority really can't wait to pin a Jets loss on the OC so I allow that to make me react irrationally. I think it's hacky at best.

I don't understand why people need a scape goat or an untouchable, there is plenty of blame to go around.

I've already said as much in multiple threads. I just don't think all of the criticism is accurate and I don't think he was the primary reason for the loss.

He had a bad game. It happens. Even Tom Brady and Peyton Manning have bad games now and then.

Are we forgetting it was windy and Rodgers missed alot of open recievers as well as Sanchez ? IMO thats a tell tale sign as well that Green Bay had no running game to fall back on BUT WE DID and WE DID'NT and WE'VE SEEN THIS BEFORE

Attributing most of the blame in a loss to guys who don't even touch the ball on Sunday is just lame and half assed....IMO.

Again, no it isn't. In the span of one year, with only 2 additions to a unit, you saw a defense go from being ranked 16th to 1st. Why do you think that is? Did the players on the field just up and decide to play better?

Know what's hacky? Insisting that pinning poor performances on coaching is dumb. That's hacky.

We pin it on the OC because GOD knows weve had alot of practice Its not like this is the first game hes made some ridiculous play calls.

First off, that QB sneak was done so the Packers could not challenge the previous play.

I seriously doubt that Edwards and Cotch were the primary receivers on the 3rd and 4th down plays. Either the guys (Keller and Holmes) beyond the 1st down marker were covered or Sanchez just taking a chance going deep, I don't think that was a Shotty designed play.

And I agree with you, I think the Jets could have run the ball down the Packers throats the entire 2nd half.

I just watched all three of those plays to see what the deal was. Sanchez wasnt even close to the LOS on that pass. If the coaches told him to do the sneak then they paid about as much attention as their punter.

The third down play was a design deep. The Jets sent 4 guys out with everyone of them going down the field. When the ball is put in the air there is nobody within 15 yards of the LOS. Cotchery was sent to the front of the end zone with Braylon in the back. His first read may have been Holmes on the skinny post around the 15 yard line. Keller is the only guy I cant find. He starts out down the field but Id assume he drags to the sideline at some point Judging where the defenders are Id say he is around the 18. Clearly the play was designed to get the Jets inside the 10 yard line so they could run their goalline offense. The 4th down decision was on Sanchez. The Jets sent out 5 and they had LT and Keller crossing short. He probably could have hit Keller who could have just run for a 1st, but he never looked there. He went deep to J-Co who had the coverage all over him.

I just watched all three of those plays to see what the deal was. Sanchez wasnt even close to the LOS on that pass. If the coaches told him to do the sneak then they paid about as much attention as their punter.

I saw that live and figured that had to be the case, then I saw the replay at home and was just baffled. It was that obvious. I'll say it again too. That 3rd and 1 call at the end of the half was just about one of the worst calls I've ever seen in a 2-minute drill.

2 completely botched 2-minute drills in the span of one game. That is just infuriating.

The zone Denver threw at him was copied by Packers. Sanchez having issues with a zone and its either 1) confusing him or 2) scaring him enuf to not make a throw.

Thats why we saw so many hand taps and dump offs.

Plus Packers had depeleted D Line amd a 3 man rush. Jets should have stuck to run and forced Packers to eventually come out of 3 man front.

After Denver zone confusion, I think Jets would have been served better to give players 3 days off, not 8 and fixed some of the Offensive issues.

Greene needs to stop taking getting himself taken out of games...possibly by holding onto the ball.

He hasn't fumbled since week 1. And if your talking about his pass catching skills, I'm not gonna kill the guy for it because he was never much of a pass catcher at Iowa either. Its something to work on with him, but right now its obvious thats Tomlinson will be in on plays where the rb might catch the ball 95% of the time. Greene isnt CJ2K, he's more of a Bettis lite.

Archived