If Herm got fired, what would be his next coaching gig?

SouthernJet

OK, lets debate this.

Some Hermaholics say that 'Oh my, he would get another HC gig' others say he wouldnt get any NFL coaching gig.

Weigh in on what you think his next coaching job would be.

I will start by saying I think the NFL establishment protects Herm to some degree due to his supposed connection to NFL front office and a African American in a high profile New York HC job.

That being said I think the same establishment knows the truth that he lacks the strategy and 'crunch time' saavy to be a successful HC.

So I think he not only doesnt get a HC gig, but probably doesnt get a DC job either.

My guess woyuld be a DB or assistant HC job with either Vermeil or Dungy.

Another possibility is a stint in the NFL front office. He actually may be a valid qualified and darn good future NFL exec.

Another possibility is a stint in the NFL front office. He actually may be a valid qualified and darn good future NFL exec.

I think you've hit it right on the head with this comment - Herm is a perfect executive - look good, be a figurehead, make no real decisons. Perfect.

Unfortunately, Hermy doesn't have the qualifications for that job.

LOL. Yes he does. The story obviously didn't make it as far as Texas.

The team was 3 and 3. They were preparing for a game. If they won the make the states. If not they don't.

So anyway the coach suspends a kid. The principal reverses the suspension. The coach quits. All 9 assistants quit.

The principal coaches the team. She gets a bunch of parents together, they watch game film and she leads the team to a 30+ point loss.

Herm would have had them down by 7 with 5 minutes to go. They would have lost with Herm but people would have hung around longer and concession sales would have been much better!

Holmdel High, NJ

Their coach just left, there is an opening.

This happens to be where I live so I am right on top of this story-the coach quit because he threw a player off the team for misconduct and the admin reinstated the player. Herm would never be as tough as that so he would fit in here

This happens to be where I live so I am right on top of this story-the coach quit because he threw a player off the team for misconduct and the admin reinstated the player. Herm would never be as tough as that so he would fit in here

Does the thought of Faba watching high school football turn anybody else on?

Er, I mean does it scare anybody else?

:D

if u say so Rainman

I know it is tough to imagine a Jets fan that doesn't blame the entire season on Herm, but I don't.

Having a serious discussion about Herm on this board is like to trying give a reach-around to a one armed retarded gorilla in a pool of jello.

BZ

From the Daily News...the comment at the very end may answer the question this thread asks

Green & bear it

GM addresses Super mess

Jets' Insider

By RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Jets general manager Terry Bradway expects Herman Edwards to return as coach but isn't so sure about the status of injured quarterback Chad Pennington.

"Fire away," the Jets' Terry Bradway said yesterday by phone, anticipating the kind of questions no GM wants to hear eight weeks into a season, if ever. The Jets are 2-5, and it seems like they haven't caught a break since the Chargers' Nate Kaeding missed a 40-yard field goal in overtime of the wild-card playoff classic last January.

This is a team that began with Super Bowl aspirations. Things have gone so awry that Bradway, sounding like Fred Wilpon, said the revised goal is to be playing "meaningful games in December."

How did it get to this? What's in the future?

In a state-of-the-team interview with the Daily News, Bradway touched on several subjects. The highlights: He expects Herm Edwards to be back next year regardless of the final record; he admitted they can't be certain if Chad Pennington will return to his past form; and he attributed many of the woes to the seven season-ending injuries.

Let's start firing away:

Asked if Edwards (37-34) will get a "free pass" because of the injuries or whether his job will be in danger if he continues to lose, Bradway replied, "Oh, gosh, no. First of all - a free pass? - I don't know what that means. Nobody feels great about what's happened, but when you look at Herm's body of evidence, his complete work, he has accomplished more than nearly every Jets coach in history.

"We expect to be here for a long time and we'll continue to work toward building a championship. In times like this, that might seem far away, but we've turned it around before and we hope to do it again."

Jets Insider's Take: Unless the season spirals out of control - like if the Jets decide to emulate the Vikings and book their own "Love Boat" cruise on the Circle Line - Edwards and Bradway, both signed through 2007, deserve another chance. But it should come with a "playoffs-or-else" mandate from Woody Johnson.

Bradway on how Johnson is coping with the miserable start:

"He's been great, very supportive. He understands what's going on. He has been around the game enough to know this (injury situation) is a bit unusual. We're in constant communication with Woody. We probably talk five times a week. He's up to speed. It doesn't mean he's not frustrated, but he understands."

JI's Take: Johnson isn't going to get cranky unless the product on the field starts to affect his ability to sell luxury suites in his new stadium.

On whether Pennington (two shoulder operations) will regain his pre-surgery form and how his prognosis will impact the quarterback search next offseason: "Chad is a little bit of an unknown right now. We've talked about all different scenarios we have to address going forward. At the appropriate time, we'll do what we have to do for the football team. I realize inquiring minds want to know what we're going to do, but there are too many unknowns right now."

JI's Take: The Jets already have determined they need to acquire a starting-caliber quarterback. The possibilities include the Titans' Billy Volek, the Redskins' Patrick Ramsey and the Chargers' Drew Brees, although he probably won't be available.

On whether Pennington will be on the roster in 2006:

"I would expect he'll be here next year. Nothing leads me to believe he won't."

JI's Take: Nothing except a $3 million roster bonus, payable in March. The Jets probably will try to get him to waive it, but Pennington's hard-line agent, Tom Condon, isn't going to be in a generous mood.

On Curtis Martin's slow start and whether he's concerned the 32-year-old back has reached the end: "No, not really. Look what he did up in Buffalo (148 yards). It's a little unfair to evaluate Curtis because of what's happened so far (with the reshuffled line). He's still capable of gaining a lot of yards. You don't go from the No.1 rusher in 2004 to falling off the table in 2005. I don't see that happening."

JI's Take: Bradway has a list of the top five needs for 2006, and you can bet running back is No. 1 or No. 2. Reggie Bush, anyone?

On invisible tight end Doug Jolley, the centerpiece of a predraft trade with the Raiders that cost the Jets their No.1 pick:

"We knew we had a need for a receiving tight end and, according to all our reports, Doug Jolley fit the bill. Do I still think he can be a receiving tight end? Yes, I do. Our problem now is finding a way to get him involved. I can see why people are frustrated, and I'm sure Doug is frustrated, too."

JI's Take: Heath Miller, whom the Jets could have drafted if they had kept their pick, is looking good. The Steeler rookie has six TDs.

On whether he stayed too long with the aging corps of veterans on offense:

"Not really. We were able to infuse some youth with Adrian (Jones) and Brandon (Moore). Kevin (Mawae) was still playing at a high level and Pete (Kendall) has had a pretty good year. If you look at Curtis, Jerald (Sowell), Wayne (Chrebet), Kevin, Pete, and Jason (Fabini), those guys can still play. It's not like they're all in the 35 range. The age wasn't a concern."

JI's Take: Bradway says that now, but in the offseason, he'll blow up the offense.

On second-guessing himself for trading Santana Moss, who has blossomed with the Redskins: "It's too early to evaluate that deal. We really like Laveranues (Coles). He fits our offense. We like our group of receivers."

JI's Take: At the time of the trade, most pundits said the Jets got the better of the deal. You can't blame Bradway on this one.

Jets' clipboard

Hot seat

Pete Kendall, coming off a nightmarish debut at center, goes head-to-head with the Chargers' Jamal Williams, one of the premier nose tackles.

X's and O's

Looking for a positive? Here's one: The Jets are 7-for-7 in third-and-1 situations. Hey, it's something.

Whispers

Rumors persist in league circles that the Chiefs have an eye on Herm Edwards as a successor to Dick Vermeil, who is expected to retire.

Rumors persist in league circles that the Chiefs have an eye on Herm Edwards as a successor to d!ck Vermeil, who is expected to retire.

What type of draft pick compensation would we have to give the chiefs in order to get them to take Herm off of our hands. I'm thinking at least a 1st and a 3rd

OK, lets debate this.

Some Hermaholics say that 'Oh my, he would get another HC gig' others say he wouldnt get any NFL coaching gig.

I will start by saying I think the NFL establishment protects Herm to some degree due to his supposed connection to NFL front office and a African American in a high profile New York HC job.

That being said I think the same establishment knows the truth that he lacks the strategy and 'crunch time' saavy to be a successful HC.

So I think he not only doesnt get a HC gig, but probably doesnt get a DC job either.

Head coach of KC. Vermeil is retiring and KC wants Herm to coach

• 2 years later...
OK, lets debate this.

Chiefs

Jags

Ravens

Bills

Falcons

BZ

back in nov. 2005, BZ hit it on the head

Archived