Tim Hasselbeck on Sanchez

Jetsfan80

I was listening to Mike & Mike a few minutes ago, and they had Timmy Hasselbeck on. They asked him what is wrong with Sanchez, and I anticipated generic statements or points we'd heard before. He actually made a couple good critiques I hadn't heard, 1 on Sanchez's technique and the other that pointed to coaching:

1) Sanchez takes his left hand off the ball too much, which Tony Romo is also prone to do. It makes him very vulnerable to turnovers, and the best QB's in the league keep it in both hands as much as possible.

2) Sanchez is not Peyton Manning, so why do the Jets insist on forcing him to utilize long cadences, making adjustments at the line and snapping the ball with 1 second left? Sanchez does some of his best work on the fly when LESS thought is required because he has athleticism and uses his feet well.

Point # 2 is yet another indirect criticism of Schottenheimer from a neutral source. The writing is on the wall.

I was listening to Mike & Mike a few minutes ago, and they had Timmy Hasselbeck on. They asked him what is wrong with Sanchez, and I anticipated generic statements or points we'd heard before. He actually made a couple good critiques I hadn't heard, 1 on Sanchez's technique and the other that pointed to coaching:

1) Sanchez takes his left hand off the ball too much, which Tony Romo is also prone to do. It makes him very vulnerable to turnovers, and the best QB's in the league keep it in both hands as much as possible.

2) Sanchez is not Peyton Manning, so why do the Jets insist on forcing him to utilize long cadences, making adjustments at the line and snapping the ball with 1 second left? Sanchez does some of his best work on the fly when LESS thought is required because he has athleticism and uses his feet well.

Point # 2 is yet another indirect criticism of Schottenheimer from a neutral source. The writing is on the wall.

It's so true.

While Sanchez blows the donkey, all game I was screaming 'INTERMEDIARY ROUTES'. Like, a lot. My neighbors must not have had a clue what was going on.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I do question this a bit. If the little ****er has such a problem with long cadences and killing plays, why doesn't he just stop? I don't think Schottenhiemer forces him to do that sh*t. It's like complaining about complexity and audibles. I understand it doesn't make things easy for the kid, but I don't think there is a rule that he has to call an audible.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I do question this a bit. If the little ****er has such a problem with long cadences and killing plays, why doesn't he just stop? I don't think Schottenhiemer forces him to do that sh*t. It's like complaining about complexity and audibles. I understand it doesn't make things easy for the kid, but I don't think there is a rule that he has to call an audible.

No chance this is true. Young QB's do what their coaches tell him. There's absolutely no way Schottenheimer would send him out there and let him audible at the line on his own. As Hasselbeck said, he's not Peyton Manning. This is something Schottenheimer wants Sanchez to do, not Sanchez acting on his own.

Gee ... this type of revolutionary thinking is taking away all the viable ammo away from the Schottenheimer apologists (last counted at 3) that still want to brand him as the scapegoat.

The asshat is employed to design and implement an offense that puts points on the board for the Jets. Reality dictates that he should probably do that with the players he has on the roster - not the ones he plays with on Madden. Schottenheimers "theoretical" offenses have hurt this team the first 4 years he was here. They are killing this one.

The first point is a fundamental problem with his game, but there are a ton of QBs who do it besides Romo. I think when you hold the ball that way you have to work the pocket a bit differently especially if teams rush you up the middle.

On the second point that is the way the offense is designed. That is Schottenheimers offense. Back in 2007 the plan was that the team was fully immersed in the offense and Chad would be calling a number of plays at the line to confuse the defense. That didnt work because the team was poor, but when you sign up for Schottenheimer that is the offense you sign up for. Mark is in his second year and should be fully immersed in the offense. That is a Rex problem, though. OCs dont usually change their system for a QB. Most feel that the system is what makes the QB look good. Rex is the guy that had to change that if it was a problem.

On the second point that is the way the offense is designed. That is Schottenheimers offense. Back in 2007 the plan was that the team was fully immersed in the offense and Chad would be calling a number of plays at the line to confuse the defense. That didnt work because the team was poor, but when you sign up for Schottenheimer that is the offense you sign up for. Mark is in his second year and should be fully immersed in the offense. That is a Rex problem, though. OCs dont usually change their system for a QB. Most feel that the system is what makes the QB look good. Rex is the guy that had to change that if it was a problem.

I'd say it's a problem. I could probably find a few hundred million people to agree with me but thats not the point. For all Chad Pennington is or isn't, before the ball is snapped I would put him just behind Peyton Manning in smarts and ability. He got us countless 1st downs with his hard count. It's after the ball is snapped that Chad freaks out and then has no arm to throw the football. This was also a problem.

To think a kid with 16 college starts under his belt is going to come in here and in 2 years take us to the Superbowl running a highly complex offense with suspect play design is crazy, as we are all finding out. Problem is the people that bought into the insanity are the same ones that now have to pull the plug on it.

No chance this is true. Young QB's do what their coaches tell him. There's absolutely no way Schottenheimer would send him out there and let him audible at the line on his own. As Hasselbeck said, he's not Peyton Manning. This is something Schottenheimer wants Sanchez to do, not Sanchez acting on his own.

Agreed. So do old QBs not named Brett Favre. Even Brady does what he is told by his coaches... its kind of what separates the NFL from the playground.

The first point is a fundamental problem with his game, but there are a ton of QBs who do it besides Romo. I think when you hold the ball that way you have to work the pocket a bit differently especially if teams rush you up the middle.

Exactly.

Pre-snap deception and low percentage throws are the staple of Schitty's offense. Seriously. The Jets don't run high perception routes by their WRs. Slants and crossing routes are rare while deep outs and posts are in abundance.

Sanchez has his accuracy issues, but he is also throwing to receivers running low percentage routes.

Agreed. So do old QBs not named Brett Favre. Even Brady does what he is told by his coaches... its kind of what separates the NFL from the playground.

That's not what I'm saying. I never said that Sanchez should start calling audibles on his own, but he should be able to NOT call them also. Against Baltimore the complaint was that they were baiting him into calling an audible, killing the play, and then returning to some other D. I've heard some say the problem was that there wasn't an "un-kill call", but I never read that myself. I don't think that the OC has absolute say on the snap count either. Those are things designed to give the QB more control of the offense and more chance to observe the D. If Sanchez can't handle it then I don't think the problem is necessarily with Schottenhiemer. It might be, if those things are forced, but I'm not completely sure they are.

That's not what I'm saying. I never said that Sanchez should start calling audibles on his own, but he should be able to NOT call them also. Against Baltimore the complaint was that they were baiting him into calling an audible, killing the play, and then returning to some other D. I've heard some say the problem was that there wasn't an "un-kill call", but I never read that myself. I don't think that the OC has absolute say on the snap count either. Those are things designed to give the QB more control of the offense and more chance to observe the D. If Sanchez can't handle it then I don't think the problem is necessarily with Schottenhiemer. It might be, if those things are forced, but I'm not completely sure they are.

Of course the QB is in control out there, but Schottenheimer doesn't put him in a position to succeed. Schotty simply isn't holding up to his side of the bargain. He's absolutely NOT the right guy to be trying to develop a young QB, and that has been apparent from day 1.

Of course the QB is in control out there, but Schottenheimer doesn't put him in a position to succeed. Schotty simply isn't holding up to his side of the bargain. He's absolutely NOT the right guy to be trying to develop a young QB, and that has been apparent from day 1.

I'm not going to play Gato. I'm just saying, if he is giving the kid more than he can chew, why does the kid keep taking such big bites? I tend to think the play calling is actually protecting Sanchez. Everybody is complaining about all the runs, but that is because Sanchez kept throwing it to the Dolphins and putting it on the floor. Never mind how pathetic the receivers looked. We'll see what happens against Pitt. Their D is probably good enough that we'll be stoned again, but I feel much better about Chicago.

I'm not going to play Gato. I'm just saying, if he is giving the kid more than he can chew, why does the kid keep taking such big bites? I tend to think the play calling is actually protecting Sanchez. Everybody is complaining about all the runs, but that is because Sanchez kept throwing it to the Dolphins and putting it on the floor. Never mind how pathetic the receivers looked. We'll see what happens against Pitt. Their D is probably good enough that we'll be stoned again, but I feel much better about Chicago.

There isnt a chance in hell the offense finds pay dirt against the Steelers. Literally no chance of it happening.

The beauty is, we'll get watch Sanchez cry like the little pussy he is on the sideline during another Nationally Televised game and we can all blame everyone but him for lacking the emotional intelligence it takes to be a starting QB in the NFL.

I HAVE ONE QUESTION: EVERYTIME SANCHEZ GOES TO SLANTS WE MOVE THE BALL. WHY ARE OUTS, THE SAME ROUTE THAT KILLED PENNINGTON HERE, THE COMMON CALL UNTIL THE 4TH QUARTER?

sorry, didn't mean to scream...

Its like he constantly throws outs, gets picked or nearly picked, and then throws a couple slants every week that have a very highly % completion, but not till late. Am I the only one noticing this?

Gee ... this type of revolutionary thinking is taking away all the viable ammo away from the Schottenheimer apologists (last counted at 3) that still want to brand him as the scapegoat.

The asshat is employed to design and implement an offense that puts points on the board for the Jets. Reality dictates that he should probably do that with the players he has on the roster - not the ones he plays with on Madden. Schottenheimers "theoretical" offenses have hurt this team the first 4 years he was here. They are killing this one.

YES & YES & YES...so if you take that thought process one step further, the HC upon seeing the crap is not working needs to take control...Hence my other comments that he is not doing that and needs too. Sanchez is a second year QB and is pressing way to much he needs to be reeled in for his own good and the good of the team. With that said, this is when the OC needs to create a game plan based on strengths and this is exactly what is NOT being done, hence why we suck on offense.

YES & YES & YES...so if you take that thought process one step further, the HC upon seeing the crap is not working needs to take control...Hence my other comments that he is not doing that and needs too. Sanchez is a second year QB and is pressing way to much he needs to be reeled in for his own good and the good of the team. With that said, this is when the OC needs to create a game plan based on strengths and this is exactly what is NOT being done, hence why we suck on offense.

runing the ball has been our strength, and can be again, but it needs to be mixed up more...remember Herm? run, run pass, punt? sound familiar?

Exactly.

Pre-snap deception and low percentage throws are the staple of Schitty's offense. Seriously. The Jets don't run high perception routes by their WRs. Slants and crossing routes are rare while deep outs and posts are in abundance.

Sanchez has his accuracy issues, but he is also throwing to receivers running low percentage routes.

Yeah its kind of a strange offense that way. The one thing about his offense that cant be debated is the high interception rate and a big reason is because of the type of routes they run and where the ball is being forced to. I do think they kind of miss having either a 2nd TE that can also catch or a more traditional type player to be an occasional possession guy. Hartsock is basically worthless on the field.

Yeah its kind of a strange offense that way. The one thing about his offense that cant be debated is the high interception rate and a big reason is because of the type of routes they run and where the ball is being forced to. I do think they kind of miss having either a 2nd TE that can also catch or a more traditional type player to be an occasional possession guy. Hartsock is basically worthless on the field.

Basically? That guy has ruined more drives with penalties then he has receptions for his carreer. I don't know how he ever gets on the field...they should have cut him loose last year after the Atlanta game when he had 2 penalties on the same drive in the red zone and BASICALLY cost us the game.

True.

And Jetfan13 mentioned the out pattern which Chad had problems with. That's one of the toughest throws to make and there is a high interception rate on those throws in tight coverage because it is very easy for the DB to cut under.

I have no idea where Schitty's mindset is. Does he think it's 100% execution? Is anyone telling him about the fundamental flaw in some of his plans and play design?

It's comical. Schitty thinks he's going to fool the Pats by starting the game in shotgun and hurry up. But that works if there are easy completions out there, but Schitty still has the receivers run those tough patterns.

Finally, I can never understand why Schitty can't decide on a set of plays that work and have the team master them. Many good offenses do that. They have their bread-and-butter passing plays. But Schitty finds something that works, then doesn't go back to it.

I think you guys are off base blaming Schottenheimer for the outs. First of all, the kid doesn'r have to throw them. Especially when the db has already jumped under the route. He did that twice in a row v the dolphins. Second tou are asking to take away half the field. Not throwing any outs is worse than not throwing any deep balls and that was why we had to dump Penny

I think you guys are off base blaming Schottenheimer for the outs. First of all, the kid doesn'r have to throw them. Especially when the db has already jumped under the route. He did that twice in a row v the dolphins. Second tou are asking to take away half the field. Not throwing any outs is worse than not throwing any deep balls and that was why we had to dump Penny

Archived