Sackless wonder

stoicsentry

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/columns/story?columnist=cimini_rich&id=5969869

What's the deal. If it's not physical ability, and it sure sounds like it's not effort, then why can't this guy do anything? College version of Jake Long is better than many average NFL tackles, and he got 3 sacks on him, so why nothing in the NFL? Why can't he even make his presence known? I keep going back to one play vs. Denver, I think it was last year, where he was chasing Cutler. It looked like his feet were stuck in the sand or something.

Oh man just imagine for a second if he turns it on in the playoffs totally out of nowhere and plays like we expected him too. SIGH

Vernon Gholston will be a Jet next year at a vastly reduced cost. His teammates seem to love him, Rex seems to love him and he is a physical beast. He has contributed a little and at the right price he is a project worth keeping.

What price? I wouldn't keep him at any price. I wouldn't keep him at minimum wage, and I mean Burger King's minimum wage, not the NFL's. He's taking up a roster spot, for what?

In 1 game, Marcus Dixon has produced as much as this guy has in 47 games combined. And I don't even know who Marcus Dixon is. No one knows who Marcus Dixon is. We don't even know whether that's his name.

That's how bad Vernon Gholston is. He's being outproduced by guys who, let's be honest, we don't know enough to say whether they are real or fragments of our imagination.

He's not a ghost. He's worse than a ghost. He's a paradox of time and space.

Vernon Gholston will be a Jet next year at a vastly reduced cost. His teammates seem to love him, Rex seems to love him and he is a physical beast. He has contributed a little and at the right price he is a project worth keeping.

No one loves him.

They just talk nicely about him while he's still here. If nothing else, I can't wait until he's gone to hear all the quotes from my favorite player on the Jets, 'Anonymous Jet'.

No one loves him.

They just talk nicely about him while he's still here. If nothing else, I can't wait until he's gone to hear all the quotes from my favorite player on the Jets, 'Anonymous Jet'.

You are right. The Jets are a well-oiled media machine so all the players wax poetic about their support for Vernon Gholston as a result of the immense and highly effective public image training that they all have received.

No one loves him.

"It would be awesome," said nose tackle Sione Pouha, smiling as if he were visualizing the sack. "I'd be out there jumping on him, even if I'm not in the game on that play."

Yeah. Pouha for one obviously doesn't like the kid at all.

You are right. The Jets are a well-oiled media machine so all the players wax poetic about their support for Vernon Gholston as a result of the immense and highly effective public image training that they all have received.

The sarcasm is appreciated, but the difference is, we've yet to once hear a negative comment about another player on the team come out of this locker room.

No one loves him.

Thats simply not true. I heard Mark Sanchez loves his dark ripped body.

Sun's out, gun's out.

I hope he does something in the next two weeks. I don't want this guy to be another James Farrior, who did nothing here and then became a stud in Pittsburgh.

Farrior may not have been a stud here but he was ALL-FREAKING world compared to the Ghost. I remember actually being bummed when we let him go, can't imagine feeling like that on Vern's exit.

This was the topic of conversation a few days ago with a few NYJETS fans young and old. We all agreed hes not the same player that played at Ohio St. The younger crowd blamed it all on roid rage, others blamed it on his lack of football knowledge and some just saying he is too smart and thinks too much to play the game.

I say WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED? and CAN IT BE FIXED?

This was the topic of conversation a few days ago with a few NYJETS fans young and old. We all agreed hes not the same player that played at Ohio St. The younger crowd blamed it all on roid rage, others blamed it on his lack of football knowledge and some just saying he is too smart and thinks too much to play the game.

I say WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED? and CAN IT BE FIXED?

Here's the problem...he SUCKED at Ohio State.

He had a good year with some sack numbers but he was beating Tackles that played for Youngstown State, Akron, Northwestern, Kent State. Sure he beat Jake Long a couple times...and that was why he got the 6th overall pick.

When you watched him play...he was pathetic. He had the bull rush and thats it. And he looked stiff as a board in the championship games against SEC talent. Dude had bust written all over him if anyone paid any attention.

Really? You were bummed to lose a guy who had 5.5 sacks in five years? I sincerely doubt that.

He was a beast his final season with the Jets...BEAST.

Tackling machine, had more picks than Revis has this season, forced fumbles, had a sack. It was pretty clear in his final season he was going to be a player.

VG hasnt even shown a glimpse of becoming a decent player. I like the guy and was happy with the pick. What happened is beyond me? I just cant see paying him the kind of money we are and getting nothing in return. We need impact players and depth not dreams and wishes. Sorry

And that was his fifth year.

Your point?

Crushlove said he was upset to see him go...as was I. You said he did close to nothing, yet his final season with the Jets he was arguably our best defender.

And comparing him to Gholston is just silly anyway, in his first season in the league he had more tackles and sacks then VG has in 3 years.

Your point?

Crushlove said he was upset to see him go...as was I. You said he did close to nothing, yet his final season with the Jets he was arguably our best defender.

And comparing him to Gholston is just silly anyway, in his first season in the league he had more tackles and sacks then VG has in 3 years.

Steve, Farrior had one sack and two picks in '01. He was hardly our best defender.

Steve, Farrior had one sack and two picks in '01. He was hardly our best defender.

Joe, he led the team in tackles. Mo Lewis only had 3 sacks, Marvin Jones only had 1, maybe our LB'ers in a 4-3 didnt get a lot of sacks? I dunno. Across the board, our LB'er production was pretty equal...but Farrior was playing awesome. He was clearly much better than Jones and Lewis at that point in their careers.

I'd say you could easily argue that JAbe or Farrior was our best defender in 2001.

Archived