Stephen Ross wants the Dolphins to open up the offense

JOJOTOWNSELL

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/10/stephen-ross-wants-the-dolphins-to-open-up-the-offense/

Now that Dolphins owner Stephen Ross has completely disrupted the dynamics between the front office and the coaching staff by courting Jim Harbaugh before firing Tony Sparano — and then extending Sparano’s contract after failing to land Harbaugh — Ross plans to dabble in offensive strategy.

What could go wrong with that?

“I’ve told Tony that to me, I want an aggressive, creative [offense] not playing just to keep it close, where people really are a little more unpredictable,” Ross said in an interview with TheFinsiders.com, a website operated by the Dolphins, via Jeff Darlington of the Miami Herald. (Darlington also apparently works for TheFinsiders.com while also covering the Dolphins for the Herald, which technically means that he’s working for the team he’s covering. What could go wrong with that?)

Ross also wants the Dolphins to force the issue, with a hurry-up offense.

“Our players are training in that weather,” Ross said. “Let’s take advantage of it. Let’s go with a hurry-up offense. Let’s wear them down. You know? We’ve never done that. You know? This isn’t the north, where you just want to take it four yards and a cloud of dust.

“So I think I look for a different brand, seeing the Dolphins how fans want to see it, and how we win, going downfield, in the days of Dan Marino, the days we all want to go back to.”

Basically, Ross wanted and didn’t get a rock-star coach that would help the Dolphins compete with the Miami Heat. Ross instead will force his meat-and-potatoes coach to adopt a rock-star style that he surely has considered and rejected at some point in his extensive coaching career.

What could go wrong with that?

Harbaugh lasted over a dozen years in the league, most of which were while Marino was playing and no doubt knows realizes just how hard it was to do what Marino did and just how great a QB the guy was. So he interviews for a position and during the interview the owner notes that the offense was dangerous back when they had Dan Marino in his prime, and therefore the current offense should be modeled after those offenses even in the absence of having Dan Marino on the team.

Baffling that he turned them down. Just baffling.

Harbaugh lasted over a dozen years in the league, most of which were while Marino was playing and no doubt knows realizes just how hard it was to do what Marino did and just how great a QB the guy was. So he interviews for a position and during the interview the owner notes that the offense was dangerous back when they had Dan Marino in his prime, and therefore the current offense should be modeled after those offenses even in the absence of having Dan Marino on the team.

Baffling that he turned them down. Just baffling.

I bet you part of that conversation hinged on Andrew Luck following his coach.

not thru the eyes of local talk radio and the bazillion Skins fans I talk to everyday. Snyder IS their Monty Burns.

Did Snyder ever have the following exchange with his GM?

Smithers: Uhh, sir?

Burns: What is it, Smithers?

Smithers: I'm afraid all of those players have retired and, uh... passed on. In fact, your right-fielder has been dead for a hundred and thirty years.

Burns: Damnation! All right, find some good players, living players! Scour the professional ranks; the American League, the National league, the Negro Leagues.

Did Snyder ever have the following exchange with his GM?

He and Vinny Cerrato had that exact conversation 100 times. look at the over the hill talent they brought in over the years. Think about it. They paid them all well. They made Adam Achuletta one of the highest paid DB's at one time and then cut him mid season. LOL

I'd like to retract my previous comments.

Stephen Ross is a cross between Dan Snyder, Monty Burns and Reggie Dunlop.

Dude WTF is your problem. Monty Burns and Reggie Dunlop are cool mofo's. There is NOTHING cool about the Dolphags or Stephen Ross.

You should be banned for this type of talk.

Dude WTF is your problem. Monty Burns and Reggie Dunlop are cool mofo's. There is NOTHING cool about the Dolphags or Stephen Ross.

You should be banned for this type of talk.

I meant purely from a humor point of view.

I don't ascribe any of the positive traits of Burns and Dunlop to Ross, its just that the unintentionally comedic aspects of Ross' increasingly ridiculous persona remind me of some of their crazier moments.

I meant purely from a humor point of view.

I don't ascribe any of the positive traits of Burns and Dunlop to Ross, its just that the unintentionally comedic aspects of Ross' increasingly ridiculous persona remind me of some of their crazier moments.

Can't you ever admit when your wrong?

He read too many features on Oregon's offense, clearly.

Or he watched too many Houston Oilers games back in the early '90's when Jack Pardee (sp?) ran the run and shoot. Ross is a clown. He makes Jerry Jones look like a MENSA candidate.

Archived