Will Former Jet Martin Get The Call From ‘The Hall’?

JetNation

jets.gif

On Saturday evening the NFL will announce the new list of inductees into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.  Many fans, including yours truly, are hoping that former New York Jets running back Curtis Martin is one of the 5 players that gets the call.   Martin, in his first year of eligibility, is one of 15 finalists  which includes the likes of Deion Sanders, Marshall Faulk, Cris Carter, and Jerome Bettis.

As decision day approaches there have been some disputes over Martin’s qualifications for the Hall as compared to other NFL greats.  Lets take a quick look at some of Curtis’ career accomplishments.

- 4th leading rusher in NFL history with 14,101 yards (behind Emmitt Smith, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders)

- 1 of only 2 players in the history of the NFL to rush for 1,000 yards for 10 consecutive seasons (the other Barry Sanders)

- According to Stats Inc. ranks 3rd in the history of the NFL with 4,002 offensive touches (behind Emmitt Smith and Walter Payton)

- In a list of players with over 1,000 NFL touches, Martin ranks 1st averaging 23.8 touches a game (Tomlinson #2 with 23.6)

- Curtis ranks 10th in the history of the NFL averaging 103.8 yards per game from the line of scrimmage.

- In his  last full NFL season Martin became the oldest player to ever lead the NFL in rushing with 1,697 yards

-100 career touchdowns (90 rushing, 10 receiving)

- 5 time Pro-Bowler, 4 time Jets team MVP ( in 2007 team award was named after Martin)

- In a span from 1995-2004 Martin missed only 4 games

Not for nothing but I think that is a pretty impressive NFL resume.  Statistically Martin meets the criteria for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.  When you add in the man that is Curtis Martin, the induction should be a slam dunk.  Curtis Martin is one of the classiest athletes to ever play a down in the NFL.  Martin took a tremendous amount of pride in helping out his community, even going as far to allocating a portion of his checks for charity.  Most of Curtis’ off the field accomplishments flew under the radar as Martin was never looking for notoriety, just to give back to those in need of help.

I have had the chance to meet Curtis Martin several times throughout his career and you could never meet a more fan friendly professional athlete.  Martin always took the time before and after games to take pictures and sign autographs for the fans.  Regardless of the outcome of the game Martin always stood proud and gave back to the fans that always appreciated his efforts. The words “class act” are often overused, but with Curtis Martin they could not be any more appropriate.

On Saturday I hope the powers that be induct Curtis Martin into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.  Martin was a warrior on the field and a tremendous ambassador off of it.  What else could you ask for out of a NFL player?

fUhnSSNDI3I

View the full article

I hope so. I'd like to see Martin get in on the first ballot.

But given the desdain for him within our own fanbase, combined with his lack of bravado and media-whoring during and after his career, I have my doubts he'll get in on the first try. Or maybe even the second or third.

Sadly, I fear an Art Monk style situation with Martin. The longer it goes, the more reasons (excuses?) folks will find not to put him in.

It is a tough class but I think he has a very good shot. Here would be my list

1) Deion Sanders (This will be an easy call)

2) Ed Sabol: I would be shocked if he is not inducted for all the work done by NFL Films

3) Willie Roaf

4) Marshall Faulk

5) Cris Carter

6) Chris Hanburger (How he even got this far is beyond me when a guy like Randy Gradishar can't get a sniff) Sorry this guy is nowhere near the level of player of a Butkus, Nitschke or Mike Lucci)

I think it could come down to Bettis and Martin for one more slot. With the Steelers in the Super Bowl this year I would guess Bettis gets it but I won't be surprised if they give it Martin.

Do I think Martin should get in this year? Absolutely. Do I think it's unfathomable that he does not? No. But there's one thing I've said a dozen times already and will say again, if Bettis gets in on the first ballot and Martin does not, this entire thing is a complete joke. Martin has outclassed Bettis in every single way in their careers except for one single thing, Martin didn't get to ride on the coattails of a SB team as a BACKUP RB.

Do I think Martin should get in this year? Absolutely. Do I think it's unfathomable that he does not? No. But there's one thing I've said a dozen times already and will say again, if Bettis gets in on the first ballot and Martin does not, this entire thing is a complete joke. Martin has outclassed Bettis in every single way in their careers except for one single thing, Martin didn't get to ride on the coattails of a SB team as a BACKUP RB.

SB's a big deal for visibility, so is playing on a premier franchise rather then an also ran..

also, i believe gary myers is the jets representative on the selection comittee..

Not to mention that if a certain sexual predator didn't stick his arm out to make a game-saving tackle, Bettis would've ended his career doing his best Ernest Byner impression.

SB's a big deal for visibility, so is playing on a premier franchise rather then an also ran..

also, i believe gary myers is the jets representative on the selection comittee..

I know that, which is exactly the point. If Bettis makes it in ahead of Martin it will have absolutely NOTHING to do with what he has done himself, but rather what others around him did, which is complete load of horsesh*t.

I know that, which is exactly the point. If Bettis makes it in ahead of Martin it will have absolutely NOTHING to do with what he has done himself, but rather what others around him did, which is complete load of horsesh*t.

bettis was more well known and popular during his playing days, it's not called the hall of best players

SB's a big deal for visibility,

In the year the Steelers won the SB, Bettis had 180 yards and 3 TD's in 4 games.

In the Divisional Round in '96 - a season which ended in a SB loss for New England - Martin ran for 166 yards and 3 TD's in that game alone.

Granted, he was dogsh*t in the AFC Championship Game and Super Bowl that year (and pretty much every other playoff game he participated in - hence why I'm more detractor than supporter), but to give Bettis credit for "winning" a SB is like giving Alonzo Mourning credit for the Heat winning a title in '06.

In the year the Steelers won the SB, Bettis had 180 yards and 3 TD's in 4 games.

In the Divisional Round in '96 - a season which ended in a SB loss for New England - Martin ran for 166 yards and 3 TD's in that game alone.

Granted, he was dogsh*t in the AFC Championship Game and Super Bowl that year (and pretty much every other playoff game he participated in - hence why I'm more detractor than supporter), but to give Bettis credit for "winning" a SB is like giving Alonzo Mourning credit for the Heat winning a title in '06.

ok, i don't remember giving him credit, but point taken

ok, i don't remember giving him credit, but point taken

Perhaps you didn't give him "credit" per se, but you went out of your way to note that, unlike Martin, Bettis played for a SB winner - even though his limited contributions to that team during the twilight of his career shouldn't amount to much when evaluating their respective careers.

Perhaps you didn't give him "credit" per se, but you went out of your way to note that, unlike Martin, Bettis played for a SB winner - even though his limited contributions to that team during the twilight of his career shouldn't amount to much when evaluating their respective careers.

I was speaking more of the PR he received for his effort, I haven't made a single point in regards to either of thier on the field performances..

I understand your point of view, but I definitely think the HoF voters do take Super Bowls into account - no matter the circumstance.

As CTM says, too, it is the Hall of Fame. Bettis played for a nationally popular team, with a well known nickname, while Martin flied under the radar most of his career.

Archived