Source: Jets deny Titans' request

Larz

This reminds me, how many interviews for HC jobs did Schotty get this time around? 38?

I wouldn't weep for Callahan, exactly. The Tennessee job is a graveyard--a Head Coach-by-default who just mercilessly lopped off some of his assistants, no QB in sight, crazy owner, and despite all that there are expectations because of Fisher's past success with the roster. Meanwhile, Callahan gets to sit here with a top, young OL and look like a coaching savant while Schottenheimer either implodes or the Jets win a title, with either resulting in a chance for Callahan to get a better job next year than wiping sputum off of Mike Munchak's chin this year.

This reminds me, how many interviews for HC jobs did Schotty get this time around? 38?

I wouldn't weep for Callahan, exactly. The Tennessee job is a graveyard--a Head Coach-by-default who just mercilessly lopped off some of his assistants, no QB in sight, crazy owner, and despite all that there are expectations because of Fisher's past success with the roster. Meanwhile, Callahan gets to sit here with a top, young OL and look like a coaching savant while Schottenheimer either implodes or the Jets win a title, with either resulting in a chance for Callahan to get a better job next year than wiping sputum off of Mike Munchak's chin this year.

All true, but could you imagine what Callahan could do with Chris Johnson?

Thats for Callahan to decide though. isn't it? Its wrong blocking someones opportunity espicially since its standard procedure to allow position coaches to interview for OC,DC or HC..How pissed you think Callahan is if in fact he wanted to interview..I would be smokin.

Thats for Callahan to decide though. isn't it? Its wrong blocking someones opportunity espicially since its standard procedure to all ow position coaches to interview for OC,DC or HC..How pissed you think Callahan is if in fact he wanted to interview..I would be smokin.

"wrong." how naive. this is why you sign contracts - to lock in guys integral to your success for extended periods.

"wrong." how naive. this is why you sign contracts - to lock in guys integral to your success for extended periods.

No..Your wrong..Don't keep on your "Jet Blinders"..Even the casual fan such as yourself knows

thats how the NFL does business as far as coaches are concerned...So you think its a good idea to hold a coach

hostage? No its not..I would say its bad for business in the long haul.

1. Why would I squirm?

2. What else is Johnson going to do? Put up 2000....oh that's right.

In this fantasy, Callahan goes to Tennessee and puts together a dominating ball-control offense featuring Chris Johnson and rookie QB Blaine Gabbert, while Schottenheimer continues his wishy-washy ways here and everybody displaces their Schotty anger on the last person who thinks he's awesome, SenorGato. "Squirm" may have been hyperbolic.

No..Your wrong..Don't keep on your "Jet Blinders"..Even the casual fan such as yourself knows

thats how the NFL does business as far as coaches are concerned...So you think its a good idea to hold a coach

no Glenn, he's actually right. The rules state that any team CAN block a peripheral move if they want. Callahan becoming another teams' OC would qualify as that. Now if he wanted to interview for the head coaching job he would be allowed to.

And you know what, f*** those people who might say the Jets are discouraging upward mobility for their assistants. If a dunce like Schottenheimer can keep a job he's been underqualified for for 6 years, any mother f***er can move up in the ranks with the Jets.

but that's the whole thing about it 8-0 it's NOT upward mobility. It's giving away your organization's coaching talent and getting nothing in return for it. It's just like how every year we've tried to get Rob Ryan and were never allowed by Oakland and Cleveland.

read the whole thread. i said i was against the coach blocking. but "wrong"? maybe ill-advised, according to your opinion on the impact of attracting future coaches, but wrong? absolutely not.

Don't know all the circumstances, but that's business. Used to be that NFL teams couldn't block any assistant coach promotion (although Callahan's Asst. HC title would've prevented this one under the old rules, too), but that rule changed a few years back. The assistants were pissed about it, too, and there was some talk about them forming their own union. That didn't happen.

As people have alluded to in this thread, Callahan very possibly doesn't want the job. Don't see the OC position in Tennessee to be the fast track to a HC gig anywhere, as PFT suggests Callahan is looking for. It's more likely the fast track to unemployment. The only guy to ever knock on Mike Heimerdinger's door was Herm Edwards.

Callahan's got a good gig here. He's beloved beyond his abilities. If he got the OC job here, you'd see his popularity level start to tank in no time. I guarantee that.

In this fantasy, Callahan goes to Tennessee and puts together a dominating ball-control offense featuring Chris Johnson and rookie QB Blaine Gabbert, while Schottenheimer continues his wishy-washy ways here and everybody displaces their Schotty anger on the last person who thinks he's awesome, SenorGato. "Squirm" may have been hyperbolic.

You may have been hyperbolic.

Don't know all the circumstances, but that's business. Used to be that NFL teams couldn't block any assistant coach promotion (although Callahan's Asst. HC title would've prevented this one under the old rules, too), but that rule changed a few years back. The assistants were pissed about it, too, and there was some talk about them forming their own union. That didn't happen.

As people have alluded to in this thread, Callahan very possibly doesn't want the job. Don't see the OC position in Tennessee to be the fast track to a HC gig anywhere, as PFT suggests Callahan is looking for. It's more likely the fast track to unemployment. The only guy to ever knock on Mike Heimerdinger's door was Herm Edwards.

Callahan's got a good gig here. He's beloved beyond his abilities. If he got the OC job here, you'd see his popularity level start to tank in no time. I guarantee that.

why does everyone think TN is a dead end.. Thier DC just got a HC gig last year, Greg WIlliams came from there to get a HC gig in Buffalo. At the end fo the day, getting a HC job as an OC is all about productivity of the offense, and there's some pieces there.

why does everyone think TN is a dead end.. Thier DC just got a HC gig last year, Greg WIlliams came from there to get a HC gig in Buffalo. At the end fo the day, getting a HC job as an OC is all about productivity of the offense, and there's some pieces there.

The big gamble there is that you're taking a job for a newb Head Coach who could get swept out in the next three years, leaving you on the street next to him. Especially as an OC whose first job will be to breast-feed a baby-QB from a depleted QB draft class or, worse, keep an empowered, fresh off his victory over Fisher, Vince Young from hanging himself after you ask him to actually read the playbook. Or, read.

The big gamble there is that you're taking a job for a newb Head Coach who could get swept out in the next three years, leaving you on the street next to him. Especially as an OC whose first job will be to breast-feed a baby-QB from a depleted QB draft class or, worse, keep an empowered, fresh off his victory over Fisher, Vince Young from hanging himself after you ask him to actually read the playbook. Or, read.

If you have confidence in your self, the type of confidence you need to be a HC, I don't see how you look at the roster and say I can't succeed here. The titan's offense was off to a good start with Young, if Callahan's 50% of the coach that everyone here thinks he is, I'm sure he'd figure it out. And maybe Munchak gets rolled in three years leaving an opening for Callahan..

Like i said, i don't give a crap that we did this, if Rex thinks Callahan is too good to lose, then it's fine with me, regardless of what unwritten rules we're violating. I want to win a SB, not the Tony Dungy award for classiest NFL team.

If you have confidence in your self, the type of confidence you need to be a HC, I don't see how you look at the roster and say I can't succeed here. The titan's offense was off to a good start with Young, if Callahan's 50% of the coach that everyone here thinks he is, I'm sure he'd figure it out. And maybe Munchak gets rolled in three years leaving an opening for Callahan..

Like i said, i don't give a crap that we did this, if Rex thinks Callahan is too good to lose, then it's fine with me, regardless of what unwritten rules we're violating. I want to win a SB, not the Tony Dungy award for classiest NFL team.

but Chan, Callahan has no say in the matter on a peripheral move-the New York Jets have all the say here unless he retires, waits a year and then takes the job as long as he no longer is under contract..

I don't think even Bill Walsh would want to be told by his owner that Vince Young is locked-in as your QB for life, so I don't think it'd be good for any aspiring HC to take on that task if that's how it shakes out. There's less than zero at QB down there, but Chris Johnson and Kenny Britt are nice building blocks. Still, who knows what Munchak is, and if he was a viable HC candidate before Fisher pulled the plug.

but Chan, Callahan has no say in the matter on a peripheral move-the New York Jets have all the say here unless he retires, waits a year and then takes the job as long as he no longer is under contract..

Callahan knew the deal when he started cashing checks as the Assistant HC.

I don't think even Bill Walsh would want to be told by his owner that Vince Young is locked-in as your QB for life, so I don't think it'd be good for any aspiring HC to take on that task if that's how it shakes out. There's less than zero at QB down there, but Chris Johnson and Kenny Britt are nice building blocks. Still, who knows what Munchak is, and if he was a viable HC candidate before Fisher pulled the plug.

What's wrong with young? He's a good player that's a little crazy.. most coaches focus on the first part ;)

I posted in the other denial thread that I thought the jets were doing d- a favor, preventing him from having to decline an interview for a promotion with the raiders. I have no reason to belive this is different other than my opinion

I just think blocking your assistants from even exploring opportunities is bad business because it will cause other assistants to think twice about coming here. I understand the jets have the right to do so under the rules

you want to be seen as a springboard for success, not a dead end

I like callahan, but if sh*tty survived this season, there is zero reason to think he is an OC in waiting. heck, he may wind up going the college route again to escape the jets strategy

Archived