Haloti Ngata

ZachEY

Non-Exclusive Franchise Player.

Sign him.

Give up the 2 1st rounders.

We're picking what, 30th this year?

We should make the playoffs AT LEAST next year. He's worth it.

I actually think this is an absolute no-brainer.

Without knowing what the cap will look like I can't even begin to consider this.

Definitely worth the money he will command and the 2 firsts and then some though.

Without knowing what the cap will look like I can't even begin to consider this.

Definitely worth the money he will command and the 2 firsts and then some though.

I don't think there's a player we need to resign that would be a better use of money.

You're right. YOu can't begin to consider it.

How can you say he will be worth the money he will command + 2 firsts and then some without knowing the money he will command?

We don't know if there will even be a draft to give up these picks beyond 2011. We don't know if all of the franchise tags being thrown around have any validity - I think they probably won't. The money he gets might be enough to sign both WR and Asomugha. Without the CBA (especially if the union is decertified)they may all be true FAs in which case we can negotiate with him like everybody else. Peyton Manning too.

Too much to invest in one player--two firsts plus a megadeal to bolster a unit that's already pretty good? Fuhgeddaboutit. You maybe do that for DeMarcus Ware or Justin Tuck, but not a beastly DE/NT who isn't really helping you get to the QB. Here's a novel idea--why doesn't Tanny go find and draft his own Haloti Ngata?

Too much to invest in one player--two firsts plus a megadeal to bolster a unit that's already pretty good? Fuhgeddaboutit. You maybe do that for DeMarcus Ware or Justin Tuck, but not a beastly DE/NT who isn't really helping you get to the QB. Here's a novel idea--why doesn't Tanny go find and draft his own Haloti Ngata?

Dude. Ngata is the best D-lineman in the NFL, bar none. He does help you get to the QB because the offense HAS to account for him on every play. Finding a player like this is not very easily done my friend.

Our defense is pretty good right now according to you, add Ngata to it and it becomes spectacular, possibly legendary.

Don't see it happening....Rex doesn't value dlineman like other positions. He gets production out of the lunch pail guys like Devito and Pouha.

I disagree. Rex started with the Ravens as D-line coach. He can coach 'em up but he recognizes the value in a talent like Ngata, especially having coached him for his first 3-4 years.

Not that I find this feasible, but how do you figured Ngata isnt doing anything to help you get to the QB? He commands, double and triple teams, and still get his own pressure...but the extra attention, leaves Suggs and comp. one on one with TE's or OT's, who he'll dominate over and over again. I realize we dont have a Suggs type players, but I'm confident with a presence like Ngata in the middle, he'd help add 3-4 sacks for jag's like Pace/Thomas and definitely help with getting Scott and Harris freed up with nice lanes to the QB.

The bottom line is, Ngata is the best in the biz and his presence alone makes it easier to get to the QB.

Don't see it happening....Rex doesn't value dlineman like other positions. He gets production out of the lunch pail guys like Devito and Pouha.

I dont know about that. I agree that he thinks he can turn any Dlineman into a stud, but he recognizes Ngata is the best in the biz. He's said it numerous times that he's hands down the best Dlineman in the game. And I'm pretty sure he listed him up there with Revis and the best defender in Football.

I dont know about that. I agree that he thinks he can turn any Dlineman into a stud, but he recognizes Ngata is the best in the biz. He's said it numerous times that he's hands down the best Dlineman in the game. And I'm pretty sure he listed him up there with Revis and the best defender in Football.

No worries, we have VG.

I crack myself up.

Imagine Ngata and Revis on the same defense with David Harris and Bart Scott.

I agree with everything you said, but Rex is also the guy that dropped him as an LB. Ngata is one of the few guys I haven't heard raving about how great Rex was. I never got the feeling that there was anything bad between them, but he wasn't a guy who would take a bullet for Rex like Scott or that Rex and those guys loved like Gregg. It also may just be that I missed those articles/quotes.

Only because Jenkins has been hurt so often. Would like to think TOm's point has some merit, that they are looking to eitehr draft or move up to take a simialr player, thoguh Ngata is a great DT.

Got a decision to make; do you make a move like this, which precludes getting a high end LB or DB(or re-sign Cro), or fill one of thsoe spots instead. You cannot allocate cap space for all 3 defensive needs.

I agree with everything you said, but Rex is also the guy that dropped him as an LB. Ngata is one of the few guys I haven't heard raving about how great Rex was. I never got the feeling that there was anything bad between them, but he wasn't a guy who would take a bullet for Rex like Scott or that Rex and those guys loved like Gregg. It also may just be that I missed those articles/quotes.

Dropped who as a LB? I dont think I've ever heard Ngata speak at all, so I cant say that I've heard him gush about Rex like most of his former players do.

No news is good news? I dunno.

Dropped who as a LB? I dont think I've ever heard Ngata speak at all, so I cant say that I've heard him gush about Rex like most of his former players do.

I've got a hard time believing any good defensive player would have trouble playing for Rex.

I think the reason the Ravens tagged him non-exclusive was specifically to intice the Jets. Ozzie Newsome's not stupid. He knows Rex would be interested in Ngata. For the Ravens this is a no-brainer. They either keep Ngata or replace him with a pair of 1st rounders and judging by Newsome's track record in the first round - HOLY CRAP that's a great deal for the Ravens:

1996: Johnathon Ogden

1996: Ray Lewis

1997: Peter Boulware

1998: Duane Starks

1999: Chris McAlister

2000: Jamal Lewis

2000: Travis Taylor

2001: Todd Heap

2002: Ed Reed

2003: Terrell Suggs

2003: Kyle Boller

2004: no pick

2005: Mark Clayton

2006: Haloti Ngata

2007: Ben Grubbs

2008: Joe Flacco

2009: Michael Oher

2010: no pick

Not many misses in that list.

I've got a hard time believing any good defensive player would have trouble playing for Rex.

I think the reason the Ravens tagged him non-exclusive was specifically to intice the Jets. Ozzie Newsome's not stupid. He knows Rex would be interested in Ngata. For the Ravens this is a no-brainer. They either keep Ngata or replace him with a pair of 1st rounders and judging by Newsome's track record in the first round - HOLY CRAP that's a great deal for the Ravens:

1996: Johnathon Ogden

1996: Ray Lewis

1997: Peter Boulware

1998: Duane Starks

1999: Chris McAlister

2000: Jamal Lewis

2000: Travis Taylor

2001: Todd Heap

2002: Ed Reed

2003: Terrell Suggs

2003: Kyle Boller

2004: no pick

2005: Mark Clayton

2006: Haloti Ngata

2007: Ben Grubbs

2008: Joe Flacco

2009: Michael Oher

2010: no pick

Not many misses in that list.

They dont miss first rounders often and they do pretty damn well in then 2nd and have founds some studs in later rounds...guy like Ray Rice, Dawan Landry, Brandon Stokley, Kruger, Mclain, Hartwell, Taylor...lots of guys that contribute not picked in the 1st. Newsome is a great talent evaluator especially on defense.

And though they had no first round pick last season, they landed Sergio Kendle and Terrence Cody in the 2nd...who knows, maybe they think they have a player in Cody and wouldnt mind getting some extra picks. Ray Lew and Ed Reed arent getting any younger...neither is their offense, Heap, Housh, Mason.

Only because Jenkins has been hurt so often.

rex has always gotten the most out of cheap DL talent... going back to Kelly Gregg and Justin Bannan. I do agree they will target an Ellis replacement in the draft but that player has to fall to 30, they won't move up or otherwise mortgage the future to get that player.

I was just talking about some preseason bullsh*t where Rex tried Ngata at MLB. It's pretty much the only quote I remember from Ngata about Rex.

"It's Rex playing around with us," Ngata said. "I don't think we're ever going to use it, but we're just having fun in training camp."

My link

I was just talking about some preseason bullsh*t where Rex tried Ngata at MLB. It's pretty much the only quote I remember from Ngata about Rex.

"It's Rex playing around with us," Ngata said. "I don't think we're ever going to use it, but we're just having fun in training camp."

My link

Ah ha, he did that with Big Jenk sometimes too.

My link

I don't see how this is a negative. Wasn't it Suggs who called Rex the "Mad Scientist" because he was willing to try just about anything defensively?

Most guys love playing for him for just this reason.

My link

This is a pretty good article on him all together, seems like a class act, but he does give Rex some love here...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=chadiha_jeffri&page=hotread11/Haloti%20Ngata

It wouldn't take long before the Ravens coaches gave Ngata reasons to come out of his shell. Former defensive coordinator Rex Ryan -- now the Jets' head coach -- didn't merely envision Ngata as a massive interior force. He saw Ngata's athleticism and figured he would fit nicely in a scheme known for asking players to line up in various positions to confuse an offense.

By his second year, Ngata was lining up at linebacker and even safety as many as 10 to 12 plays a contest. "I thought it was crazy at first," Ngata said. " But [Ryan] helped me see how talented I was. He taught me that it was OK to not be afraid of being a finesse guy at times instead of always relying on power."

I don't see how this is a negative. Wasn't it Suggs who called Rex the "Mad Scientist" because he was willing to try just about anything defensively?

Most guys love playing for him for just this reason.

Who said it was a negative? I just said that Ngata hasn't been gushing about Rex like everybody else that's played for him. That's the only thing I remember Ngata ever saying about the guy. In fact, at one point is said something to the effect of the Ravens current DC being just like Rex except skinnier with less hair.

I'm geeking out on this stuff right now Dom, but I know you get into it too...so...this was out of a Rex quote preparing for New England...this is what I was referring to earlier.

On comparing Vince Wilfork to Haloti Ngata and Kris Jenkins…

“He’s probably closer to Kris, but he’s a great football player. There’s no question. He surprised us on the run. He’s a huge man, but gives you some pass rush and plays hard. I think Haloti Ngata is in a class by himself.”

Picking 30th makes this very enticing

The problem with this whole thing of course is the fact that tagging a player right now is purely academic. No FA is getting signed until there is a CBA and the franchise tag may be very different or non-existent in the new CBA. Based on the Jets current needs and FA situation, here's to hoping the franchise tag no longer comes with a penalty of two 1st rounders.

Just the prospect of Ngata on the Jets D is incredible. Can you imagine if it actually happened?

The problem with this whole thing of course is the fact that tagging a player right now is purely academic. No FA is getting signed until there is a CBA and the franchise tag may be very different or non-existent in the new CBA. Based on the Jets current needs and FA situation, here's to hoping the franchise tag no longer comes with a penalty of two 1st rounders.

Just the prospect of Ngata on the Jets D is incredible. Can you imagine if it actually happened?

If they decertify the union there won't be any drafts. The draft is an antitrust violation that is only allowed because it is part of a CBA. No union = no collective = no collective bargaining agreement = no antitrust exemption = no draft. That's the way I see it.

They dont miss first rounders often and they do pretty damn well in then 2nd and have founds some studs in later rounds...guy like Ray Rice, Dawan Landry, Brandon Stokley, Kruger, Mclain, Hartwell, Taylor...lots of guys that contribute not picked in the 1st. Newsome is a great talent evaluator especially on defense.

And though they had no first round pick last season, they landed Sergio Kendle and Terrence Cody in the 2nd...who knows, maybe they think they have a player in Cody and wouldnt mind getting some extra picks. Ray Lew and Ed Reed arent getting any younger...neither is their offense, Heap, Housh, Mason.

The interesting thing is this:

We all want to ability to sign the best guys and most of us have faith in the Jets ability to rate talent and Tannenbaum's ability to deal with contracts. This is a time of uncertainty. If we have an open season the Jets may be able to spend on guys like Aso and/or Ngata. If there are restraints, teams with quality, smart front offices that can keep contracts under control like the Jets and Ravens with thrive. If it's an open season guys like Daniel Snyder may actually find success by signing ever name player under the sun. The Jets might be better off in a tight climate.

If they decertify the union there won't be any drafts. The draft is an antitrust violation that is only allowed because it is part of a CBA. No union = no collective = no collective bargaining agreement = no antitrust exemption = no draft. That's the way I see it.

You think the players' ultimate goal is to nail the owners in a collusion lawsuit? Because that is the only result I can see coming from decertification. How does that benefit them?

Archived