Jason Taylor wants to return

visajets

Linebacker Jason Taylor wants to return to Jets, if he plays again

Published: Wednesday, March 02, 2011, 2:15 PM Updated: Wednesday, March 02, 2011, 2:52 PM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

John Munson/The Star-LedgerJason Taylor said he spoke to Jets coach Rex Ryan Tuesday and told him he'd like to return to the organization.

Jets linebacker Jason Taylor isn't sure about the future of his football career, but if he plays again, the 36-year-old veteran would like it to be with the Jets.

Taylor, who was released by the Jets this week, told reporters in South Florida that he spoke to coach Rex Ryan Tuesday.

"I want to play in New York," Taylor said before the Honda Classic "Kenny G Pro-Am" at PGA National Resort & Spa in Palm Beach Gardens, via audio from ESPN 760 radio. "For sure. If I'm going to play -- I told Rex this yesterday -- if I'm going to play, I want to play with the Jets. I had a fantastic time up there. Great team, good young quarterback that’s continuing to grow up and become more and more of a pro quarterback, and it's great to see. I had a great time, came up a little short. It's not easy to repeat it three years in a row to the AFC Championship Game, but if they’ll have me, I think I'd enjoy doing it again."

Taylor said there was open communication before his release, and that he expected it, based on the way his contract was structured. He was due an increased base salary in 2011, $2.3 million, and a non-guaranteed $10 million roster bonus in the first week of the league year.

Taylor expects there to be a lockout, with the current collective bargaining agreement due to expire at the end of the day Thursday and no new agreement yet in place. Asked if he thought it would play again, Taylor said he would wait to see how and when the labor situation is resolved and then address his future.

"We've got to find out when we have football. This thing could go until September, October, we have no idea," Taylor said. "Will that affect me? I think it affects everybody, regardless of my situation. I'm one player among 2000. It will affect everybody.

"Look, I’m an old guy in this league that’s looking to play another year or two maybe," he added. "There are guys in this league that have played four or five years that are going to be free agents sitting on the cusp of making a bunch of money, and really securing their financial futures that are up in the air, (who) have no idea what's going to happen. My story, my problem, is the least of anybody’s concern."

Twelve of Taylor's 14 seasons were spent in South Florida, where he still has a home and deep roots. What about a return to the Dolphins?

"I don’t think there's a chance in the world that they’re going to call," he said. "Obviously there's been, like I said before, there's been no communication. Obviously I played for another team, and we didn’t communicate very well when I played there. That ship may have sailed, and that’s OK."

Waste of a roster spot. Taylor gave us what we needed. A strip sack of Brady, a sack on Henne, and a safety against the Steelers.

Now its time to draft us a pass-rusher, not depend on one who is 37 years old.

Hell with the draft.... I heard Vernon Gholston is available. :lol:

I'd like to see him back for another year. He can still bring something to this team.

Yeah, other free agents hopefully willing to take less to play for Rex... the coach that turned the Jets-hater into the HOF'er that wants to come back after being cut.

Waste of a roster spot. Taylor gave us what we needed. A strip sack of Brady, a sack on Henne, and a safety against the Steelers.

Now its time to draft us a pass-rusher, not depend on one who is 37 years old.

Yeah, depending would be bad.

Personally, I think he's pretty close to washed up. But if he comes dirt cheap, and the Jets can employ him in a very limited role, I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back. He's more useful at the bottom of the roster than Vernon Gholston.

Jets need to find pass rushers in FA, the draft, Canada.... somewhere.

Archived