2011 NFL Draft: Predictions For Jets First Round Pick

JetNation

The 2011 NFL Draft is quickly approaching which means that football analysts from all across the country are starting to post their mock drafts.  Lets take a look at some of the predictions for the New York Jets first round pick.

Steve Wyche- NFL.com : Justin Houston OLB Georgia

Brent Sobleski- TFY: Muhammad Wilkerson DT Temple

Rob Rang- NFLDraftScout.com: Phil Taylor DT Baylor

Chad Reuter- NFLDraftScout.com:  Leonard Hankerson WR Miami

Matt Bitonti- DraftDaddy.com: Cameron Heyward DE Ohio State

WalterFootball.com: Muhammad Wilkerson DT Temple

Don Banks – SI.com: Phil Taylor DT Baylor

Pat Kirwan- NFL.com: Akeem Ayers OLB UCLA

Charles Davis- NFL.com: Rahim Moore S UCLA

While all of these predictions are subject to change as the draft approaches, it is evident that most of the analysts feel that upgrading the pass rush will be the Jets number one priority.  I tend to agree with this assessment as Gang Green is in desperate need of an explosive player that can get to the quarterback.

At the same time drafting a player like wide receiver Leonard Hankerson makes sense if the Jets are unable to re-sign both Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes.  This is where the uncertainty around the new CBA really hurts Gang Green.  The inability to sign or re-sign free agents leaves so many question marks for the Jets, especially considering that the team has approximately 17 players set to test the market.   It will be interesting to see how this all plays out if there is any type of lockout.

di</img>di</img>

xdCjPbB3YIg

View the full article

Faba, I think it's defense all the way as well.

I think S Rahim Moore is not getting enough play. That's the right slot for him and the Jets need S rotation if not starter. Also, even though a different regime, the Jets have started 2 rookies at S in the past and they've played well from the jump.

I think S Rahim Moore is not getting enough play. That's the right slot for him and the Jets need S rotation if not starter. Also, even though a different regime, the Jets have started 2 rookies at S in the past and they've played well from the jump.

Moore did not run well enough at Indy to be considered a late first. He's closer to a late 2nd if not 3rd rounder at this point.

to put it into perspective Brooks Reed ran in the 4.6's at almost 270, Rahim Moore ran in the 4.6's at almost 210.

Moore did not run well enough at Indy to be considered a late first. He's closer to a late 2nd if not 3rd rounder at this point.

to put it into perspective Brooks Reed ran in the 4.6's at almost 270, Rahim Moore ran in the 4.6's at almost 210.

I know, but the Jets don't have a 2nd. I've seen him at late first/early second which is where the Jets are at 30, which is really a high 2nd rounder. The Jets' 3rd rounder is more like a 4th.

That said, I agree with you guys on Front 7. Better Front 7 prospect at 30 than Moore then they'll pick him. I just think there won't be a better need prospect at 30 than Moore.

I just think there won't be a better need prospect at 30 than Moore.

they need a safety but he's not a sure thing. he's the best of an atrocious crop. he might even be there at 94, there's no demand for a coverage safety who can't run.

Not sure that's how this works. Moore had good workouts otherwise, and is a better tackler than given credit. He doesn't hit like a smash mouth safety, but he can play the pass better than most of those guys.

Front seven is obviously the biggest need, but the Jets need to go BAP with so few picks and last year's class not being major contributors at this time.

I agree, and the best available player will possibly be Martez Wilson, he is a stud in the making, he is 6'4" 260, and ran a in the 4.46 range at the combine, I know ILB is not a huge need this year, but Scott's not getting any younger, and the price is not getting any cheaper, I think we would be foolish to pass him up, and I also think with that kind of talent, size, and speed who's to say he can't play outside if asked for a season or 2.

Jabaal Sheard in the first, Mark Herzlich in the mid-rounds to eventually replace Bryan Thomas

???????

Who is Sheard replacing, if not Thomas? It's certainly not Pace before Thomas...and then Herzlich is not a 3-4 OLB propsect...or the same prospect he was 2-3 years ago.

If the last two drafts have shown us anything, it's that Rex is only bringing in guys who eat glass and would play with two broken ankles. Correct me if I'm wrong, draft gurus, but haven't Ayers and Moore been slapped with the old "kinda soft" label? You'd think that would eliminate them from consideration.

???????

Who is Sheard replacing, if not Thomas? It's certainly not Pace before Thomas...and then Herzlich is not a 3-4 OLB propsect...or the same prospect he was 2-3 years ago.

Sheard Replaces Taylor if not Gholston. I agree Herzlich is not the same, but there is no reason to think he can't rebound. He was still productive last season. I believe he can recover. Besides he is a mid-round pick.

I couldn't disagree with them drafting a DL. I just believe those guys will add impact to the team. I also have heard this is one of the deepest drafts for DL in a long time, so maybe they find that mid-round guy who is willing to do the dirty work that is required for the Jets

That's eight years too many!

Then this guy is a can't miss to replace him!

I agree, and the best available player will possibly be Martez Wilson, he is a stud in the making, he is 6'4" 260, and ran a in the 4.46 range at the combine, I know ILB is not a huge need this year, but Scott's not getting any younger, and the price is not getting any cheaper, I think we would be foolish to pass him up, and I also think with that kind of talent, size, and speed who's to say he can't play outside if asked for a season or 2.

No prospect could be that size and run the 40 that fast and end up being a non-factor in rushing the passer like Bryan Thomas. Couldn't possibly happen. I mean, what were BT's measurables when he was drafted?

:bag:

No prospect could be that size and run the 40 that fast and end up being a non-factor in rushing the passer like Bryan Thomas. Couldn't possibly happen. I mean, what were BT's measurables when he was drafted?

:bag:

I'm going to reserve judgement until I hear what his body fat percentage is.

Archived