Calvin Pace had 8.5 sacks in 15 games last year...

SenorGato

3 in the playoffs to lead the team.

Why no love for Calvin "Settin da" Pace? Is it the money? The steroids? It can't be the steroids if you're an NFL fan. What else could it be? The injuries? The fact that he's not an elite pass rusher? He threw up 8 in his 12 regular season games in '09...clearly we have a guy who isn't quite top tier but is high caliber. What must Calvin "Settin da" Pace do to acquire more love this possibly upcoming season?

Pace ranks among worst pass rushers

March, 16, 2011

By Rich Cimini

ProFootballFocus.com released a study Wednesday on pass-rushing effectiveness, using a formula to rank the top 10 overall rushers, the top 10 interior defensive linemen and the top five rookies.

And, yes, the bottom 10 rushers, and that list includes Jets OLB Calvin Pace. According to PFF, Pace was the fourth-worst rusher with a PRP (pass rushing productivity) of 3.87. What the heck is PRP? Good question.

Here's the explanation:

They determine “QB Disruption Points,” which values sacks over hits and pressures: QB Disruption Points = Sacks + Hits (0.75) + Pressures (0.75).

Then, to arrive at a score that measures productivity per rush, it's: Pass-Rushing Productivity = QB Disruptions Points / Number of Pass Rushes x 100.

According to the Jets' in-house stats, Pace finished with 5.5 sacks and eight QB hits. They didn't release stats on pressures. Yes, it was a disappointing season for Pace, but keep in mind that he missed the first four games because of foot surgery to repair a fracture. It's quite likely that he played the entire season at less than 100 percent.

Nevertheless, Pace hasn't posted big sack totals in his three seasons with the Jets, underscoring the need to add an edge rusher in the upcoming draft.

Wondering about the rest of the bottom 10? From the worst, the bottom 10 consists of Keyunta Dawson (Colts), Kentwan Balmer (Seahawks), Eric Foster (Colts), George Selvie (Rams), Tyler Brayton (Panthers), Robert Geathers (Bengals), Tim Crowder (Bucs), Clark Haggans (Cards), Frank Zombo (Packers).

The best? It's Tamba Hali (Chiefs).

Matt39 I find the numbers in your post off for a few reasons:

1. It's from one season.

2. It's from one season where the guy missed 4 games due to a messed up foot that he was probably rushed back from anyway.

He's a complimentary pass rusher, but he's definitely a guy I could see throwing up 10-11 sacks over a season next time they play football.

Pace, like Scott and Harris, would probably greatly appreciate a more jumbo sized DL here.

Matt39 I find the numbers in your post off for a few reasons:

1. It's from one season.

2. It's from one season where the guy missed 4 games due to a messed up foot that he was probably rushed back from anyway.

He's a complimentary pass rusher, but he's definitely a guy I could see throwing up 10-11 sacks over a season next time they play football.

Pace, like Scott and Harris, would probably greatly appreciate a more jumbo sized DL here.

Pace is JAG. Given the opportunity to play for Rex, he has underperformed. He has always underperformed. We picked him up because he was supposed to be "on the verge" of a breakout year with the cards. He just never broke out. He has had a few big plays--just like anyone else playing the position inevitably does. But that A-hole J. Taylor saw fewer snaps per game played and still had a bigger impact at the ripe old age of 57. Ellis was more consistant in pass rush and he's over 130 in human years. Alas Bryan Thomas wasn't as good. But Bryan Thomas isn't good. He's just there. Decent, unspectacular player. Pace is just a notch above him...though Thomas plays every snap every season.

Pace is JAG. Given the opportunity to play for Rex, he has underperformed. He has always underperformed. We picked him up because he was supposed to be "on the verge" of a breakout year with the cards. He just never broke out. He has had a few big plays--just like anyone else playing the position inevitably does. But that A-hole J. Taylor saw fewer snaps per game played and still had a bigger impact at the ripe old age of 57. Ellis was more consistant in pass rush and he's over 130 in human years. Alas Bryan Thomas wasn't as good. But Bryan Thomas isn't good. He's just there. Decent, unspectacular player. Pace is just a notch above him...though Thomas plays every snap every season.

Oh, OK. Duh.

3 in the playoffs to lead the team.

Why no love for Calvin "Settin da" Pace? Is it the money? The steroids? It can't be the steroids if you're an NFL fan. What else could it be? The injuries? The fact that he's not an elite pass rusher? He threw up 8 in his 12 regular season games in '09...clearly we have a guy who isn't quite top tier but is high caliber. What must Calvin "Settin da" Pace do to acquire more love this possibly upcoming season?

Maybe not dissapear for entire games. Sacks are not the only way to judge a player. How many "Big" sacks did he have stopping drives in the 4th quarter ? The ones you remember are the ones that stop drives and come in big moments like the ones Shawn Ellis gets for us.

Maybe not dissapear for entire games. Sacks are not the only way to judge a player. How many "Big" sacks did he have stopping drives in the 4th quarter ? The ones you remember are the ones that stop drives and come in big moments like the ones Shawn Ellis gets for us.

No clue. How many did Ellis have? Perception and reality can be two totally different things...you're merely bringing up a hypothesis you don't plan to prove but do plan to treat as a significant fact.

Also another flaw in the Matt39 link...they don't even have a number for pressures.

Oh, OK. Duh.

Pace had 1-1/2 more sacks than drew coleman. Not saying Pace sucks. Just saying he is overpaid for his production. And also....Duh. Definately Duh.

Also...the Man face comment. Your opinion can no longer be trusted. (even though I respect you going to bat for Schottenheimer...that's a tough position to defend).

No clue. How many did Ellis have? Perception and reality can be two totally different things...you're merely bringing up a hypothesis you don't plan to prove but do plan to treat as a significant fact.

Also another flaw in the Matt39 link...they don't even have a number for pressures.

I dont give a damn how many Ellis Had, Pace is NOT a big play LB and he does dissapear for long periods of time. Your the one with no clue my friend. For the money Pace signed for he has not come close to the expectations that were set for him. One play stands out for me all year with Pace and that was the Sack of Tom Brady in the playoffs. Not to mention the very stupid play at the end of the Steeler game the jets were persueing Rothlesberger to the side lines with Pace in front of him. As soon as rothlesberger go to the Sidelines Pace should have realized he had no where else to go with the football and leaped up to block the pass since he was not in a position to make the tackle and he stayed flat footed and the pass was thrown right over his head for the completion that ended the game. Bad reaction there by Pace since Roths only other option was to run out of bounds.

The big Problem the Jets have is getting to the QB and thats what Paces job is, if of course, you have any clue as to how our defense is supposed to run and create plays. If Pace is such a good football player then why do we have this issue ? Why do so many people say we have a problem at OLB ? Compared to the better OLB's in the league Thomas and Pace are not even in the picture.

Calvin Pace is a decent linebacker that gets paid like a very good one. He's not a sack machine. I don't recall any reason to expect him to be one. IMO he is WAY better than Bryan Thomas, but that is not saying much. In this thread he is suffering from Jets Fan Disease - any Jet player is either the best or the worst. It's obvious that Pace is far from the best, so he must be the worst. I guess I'm a little guilty of it too, what with my deep Bryan Thomas hate.

Pace is a good football player. Talking about upgrading him is like talking about upgrading Leonhard. It is possible and it would be nice, but the other guy at his spot blows monkeys and barely exists, so why worry about Pace or Leonhard? Worry about Thomas and Pool (or the empty spot where Pool's expired contract is).

Archived