Judge Nelson declines Stay

JetsFanNick12

I think this means they owners can still appeal to the 8th circuit, but judge nelson just kicked the door open for the players for the time being

the owners need to be very careful about forcing a lock out now, fans see this as a glimmer of hope to have football in 11, and the owners will look bad if they appeal instead of sitting down at the bargaining table

I saw the NFLPA issued a memo to players today

how can they do that ?

didn't they decertify ?

wtf ?

I saw the NFLPA issued a memo to players today

how can they do that ?

didn't they decertify ?

wtf ?

Decertification just means the PA is no longer a union with the power to bargain collectively on behalf of players. They're still a trade organization or a confederacy of dunces or a G.R.O.S.S. club or whatever you prefer.

Decertification just means the PA is no longer a union with the power to bargain collectively on behalf of players. They're still a trade organization or a confederacy of dunces or a G.R.O.S.S. club or whatever you prefer.

ah, OK

but didn't they negotiate with the court mandated mediator last week ?

Can't wait to stay up until midnight on a Thursday to watch a single round of the NFL draft, baby. This Goodell fella, he's like a man of the people and stuff!

people hate it but I love an early draft. It's 2 days less waiting. When you are obsessed as I am that's a big deal. waiting the whole week til draft day used to be a nightmare.

people hate it but I love an early draft. It's 2 days less waiting. When you are obsessed as I am that's a big deal. waiting the whole week til draft day used to be a nightmare.

It sucks. Goodell took one of the fans' High Holy Days and shredded it because some dipsh*t TV exec pointed out that Glee puts up good numbers on weeknights. If he thinks there are millions of casual NFL fans just frothing at the mouth to find out which franchise ****s itself by drafting Cam Newton's entourage on a weeknight then he's dumber than he looks. In years past, it was an event--you'd load up your buddies, go to a bar, and spend the afternoon watching the first round and stick around--maybe--for the second round. Now? F*ck it. I'll let my Yahoo Sports App stay up for me.

Not when the draft was usually scheduled for last Saturday.

The draft was an all day event for me...I mean it isnt the end of the world....but I liked it much better on Saturday noon.

It sucks. Goodell took one of the fans' High Holy Days and shredded it

people dont seem to realize this but the real fun of the draft is in the late round. any jag-off can make a 1st round pick and have a coinflip's chance of it being good. it takes a genius to find a starter or even pro bowler in round 5 or 6.

my point is people could still enjoy the weekend if they wanted to...

as a side note the tv coverage sucks I follow the whole thing on the internet. It used to make me mad when the Jets were picking in rd 2 but Boomer was interviewing the equivalent of Cam Newton and no one acknowledged the players picked or what was happening.

the big secret of the draft it absolutely sucks to watch on TV. it's people at a desk talking. I could watch the ping pong finals and get more action.

people dont seem to realize this but the real fun of the draft is in the late round. any jag-off can make a 1st round pick and have a coinflip's chance of it being good. it takes a genius to find a starter or even pro bowler in round 5 or 6.

my point is people could still enjoy the weekend if they wanted to...

as a side note the tv coverage sucks I follow the whole thing on the internet. It used to make me mad when the Jets were picking in rd 2 but Boomer was interviewing the equivalent of Cam Newton and no one acknowledged the players picked or what was happening.

the big secret of the draft it absolutely sucks to watch on TV. it's people at a desk talking. I could watch the ping pong finals and get more action.

It sucks to watch at home, true. But at a bar? Drinking all afternoon and only being required to look at the TV every fifteen minutes? It's like heaven for closeted alcoholics with ADD, which describes 97% of NFL fans.

It sucks to watch at home, true. But at a bar? Drinking all afternoon and only being required to look at the TV every fifteen minutes? It's like heaven for closeted alcoholics with ADD, which describes 97% of NFL fans.

So what Steeler bar you watching the draft from tonight Tom?

demaurice smith is absolutely raping the NFL's lawyers

+1

There is also a misconception about what the players are doing in the Brady v. NFL antitrust case.

The players are saying that there can't be any salary cap, restricted free agency, a draft, etc. without a collective bargaining agreement. Since there isn't one (as the owners opted out of the last one) then there can't be any such rules.

In other words, the players (and the Courts) have taken a big dump on the owners' position (which has, surprisingly, been bought by some fans) that as employers they can do anything they want.

No, the owners can't. If the owners want a draft, free agency rules and a salary cap then they have to BARGAIN for it.

I'm stunned that so many fans don't understand this point or the issues involved.

That was court-ordered. As far as I understand it, the decertification basically means the players want the dispute decided through the courts.

Yes BUT, it won't be decided "by the court."

The goal is to reach a settlement and that settlement becomes the new CBA. That's what happened in White v. NFL. There won't be a judge or a jury telling the NFL how to conduct business. The owners are stupid, but they're not that stupid to let that happen.

And, yeah, the owners are stupid. Where are those people that said the owners are too smart to let a workstoppage happen or that they'd win in court? LOL.

Yes BUT, it won't be decided "by the court."

The goal is to reach a settlement and that settlement becomes the new CBA. That's what happened in White v. NFL. There won't be a judge or a jury telling the NFL how to conduct business. The owners are stupid, but they're not that stupid to let that happen.

And, yeah, the owners are stupid. Where are those people that said the owners are too smart to let a workstoppage happen or that they'd win in court? LOL.

I thought White v. NFL was just decided by the Madden voters the other day?

+1

There is also a misconception about what the players are doing in the Brady v. NFL antitrust case.

The players are saying that there can't be any salary cap, restricted free agency, a draft, etc. without a collective bargaining agreement. Since there isn't one (as the owners opted out of the last one) then there can't be any such rules.

In other words, the players (and the Courts) have taken a big dump on the owners' position (which has, surprisingly, been bought by some fans) that as employers they can do anything they want.

No, the owners can't. If the owners want a draft, free agency rules and a salary cap then they have to BARGAIN for it.

I'm stunned that so many fans don't understand this point or the issues involved.

It's surprising to you that the majority of NFL fans are complete dolts? Clearly this is the reasoning for the suit, as it was the last time the players sued the league.

In order for the league to get around the anti-trust issues raised by installing anti-competitive measures (restrictions on salary and player movement), they need buy-in from the players (by way of the NFLPA) in the form of a CBA. The same holds true for every other professional sports league that employs such practices. <br>

It's surprising to you that the majority of NFL fans are complete dolts? Clearly this is the reasoning for the suit, as it was the last time the players sued the league.

In order for the league to get around the anti-trust issues raised by installing anti-competitive measures (restrictions on salary and player movement), they need buy-in from the players (by way of the NFLPA) in the form of a CBA. The same holds true for every other professional sports league that employs such practices. <br>

Exactly and THAT'S WHY the NFL and the players are partners.

Fans trumpeting the "owners are employers yadayadaya" don't understand that. The owners can't run the league as they want without agreement by the players.

Exactly and THAT'S WHY the NFL and the players are partners.

Fans trumpeting the "owners are employers yadayadaya" don't understand that. The owners can't run the league as they want without agreement by the players.

Beware the wrath of ECURB.

They're still a trade organization or a confederacy of dunces or a G.R.O.S.S. club or whatever you prefer.

The honoraria practically bestow themselves. Preposterous Hat-Wearing Migdet-in-Chief De Smith and the like. But wouldn't that make Von Miller Susie Derkins?

The reporters were a couple days ago that if the stay is declined then the league year would start... Since it happened late tonight the league year probably can't start until Friday

Monday, the NFL owners still have the pending case that is being seen in the 8th court of appeal - they meet on the 29th.

Beware the wrath of ECURB.

You should be afraid.

This is shaking out just as it started... it is a game of chicken... the players got a victory but it is not enough to end it... for that one side will need to take a paycut.

Archived