• Is not very shifty, slippery, elusive or agile

• May struggle to get outside and turn corner

• Vision and overall instincts are questionable

• Needs to work on keeping his pad level down

• Has struggled with weight and conditioning

• Some concerns when it comes to durability

• Didn't turn it on and emerge until senior year

Notes:

A one-year starter for the Cardinals --- Named 1st Team All-Big East in 2010 --- Toiled as underachieving backup for three years but came out of nowhere to have one of the top rushing season's in Louisville history as a senior --- Was a wild youngster who ran with gangs and was even stabbed at one point --- Turned life around near end of high school with the help of a football coach --- Actually played cornerback for majority of prep career and didn't make the move to running back until senior season --- Dealt with a knee injury in 2010, missing one game and being hampered in a handful of others --- Extremely quiet and reserved and doesn't like the media or spotlight --- Was barely on the radar of NFL scouts heading into senior campaign but caught everyone's attention and dramatically improved stock with a breakout season --- Late bloomer whose best football may still be ahead of him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Career Statistics

Year GP ATT YDS AVG TD REC YDS TD

2007 8 24 187 7.8 2 3 25 0

2008 11 75 354 4.8 2 12 58 0

2009 11 108 392 3.6 4 12 103 0

2010 12 229 1,405 6.1 11 18 158 3

Totals 42 436 2,338 5.4 19 45 344 3

Interesting. If we were gonna take a back, I could have seen a scat back but this guy sounds like he offers you something similar to Shonn Greene (worse a bit overall, plus a bit on catching)

Really? I think we have the scat in Joe McKnight, and I was actually hoping for a bigger back (if we took a RB at all). I read a profile of him in the New York Times that said he ran 10 pounds heavier than he is, and could carry another 10 pounds without it hurting his speed. Actually the whole thing is worth reading. The author had Bilal as the #3 RB in the draft!

3. Bilal Powell, Louisville (5-10, 207)

Mikel Leshoure of Illinois is the safest pick, and I wouldn’t criticize a team or fantasy owner for rating him as one of the top three runners on their draft board. However, I believe the top four backs on my list are better runners between the tackles now. I also believe they possess higher upside.

Powell seems like a risky choice as the third-rated back in this draft; I doubt N.F.L. teams see him as this safe an investment. Like Leshoure, Powell has only a year of blue chip production. He is only 207 pounds, but he has the best combo of power, speed, balance and maturity between the tackles I’ve seen.

Powell also carries the ball high and tight with greater consistency then any back I’ve seen in this class. Despite ceding time to teammates on third downs at Louisville, Powell revealed at Senior Bowl practices that he is physical and a technically sound blocker.

Powell loves to initiate contact, and he runs as if he’s 10 pounds heavier than his weight. I’ve seen Powell up close and he has the frame to add another 10 pounds and keep his speed. He still plays with a former defender’s mentality. His reserved personality lights up when he talks about hitting.

Really? I think we have the scat in Joe McKnight, and I was actually hoping for a bigger back (if we took a RB at all). I read a profile of him in the New York Times that said he ran 10 pounds heavier than he is, and could carry another 10 pounds without it hurting his speed. Actually the whole thing is worth reading. The author had Bilal as the #3 RB in the draft!

I think the bold officially answers the question, Powell was clearly the "Rex pick" in this draft. He specifically made mention of an offensive player with a defender's mentality. Given last year's hard on for Conner, it's not overly surprising.

I like this pick. If we lose either Holmes or Braylon, we are going back to running the ball 9,000 this year. LT is toast. As young, deep backfield is a good, good thing.

I do, too.

This seems to be the pick people don't like, either because they wanted another defender, or just didn't think we needed a RB - but I think the Jets needed a RB. Shonn Greene doesn't need 15 carries to get going, he needs a couple months. And LT is close to the end. This kid could wind up being useful early on.

I do, too.

This seems to be the pick people don't like, either because they wanted another defender, or just didn't think we needed a RB - but I think the Jets needed a RB. Shonn Greene doesn't need 15 carries to get going, he needs a couple months. And LT is close to the end. This kid could wind up being useful early on.

Agree completely.

Plus, a beast DL makes the LBers and secondary better. So does not losing Jim Leonard.

i think the CS when they went over contingencies -- i mean not far-out unlikely ones -- i mean potential things that could could happen, they said to themselves, wtf do we do if greene gets majorly hurt during the season?

it is better to preempt these scenarios then have to deal with them from behind the 8ball.

Really? I think we have the scat in Joe McKnight,

If by scat you mean feces, then maybe.

No, seriously, I remember the comparisons people made to Bush and Leon but it's funny because I haven't gotten that impression of him yet as a quick, agile back. He looks a lot slower and a little stronger than I thought.

and I was actually hoping for a bigger back (if we took a RB at all). I read a profile of him in the New York Times that said he ran 10 pounds heavier than he is, and could carry another 10 pounds without it hurting his speed. Actually the whole thing is worth reading. The author had Bilal as the #3 RB in the draft!

Funny that the disagreement should come like this, since I believe in power football and you're (I gather) more about speed and versatility. I have to admit, it's always nice to have another bowling ball.

Still confused though because I thought we had already picked up some kind of option to bring L.T. back. We're not really going to carry 4 RBs and 1 FB, are we?

Still confused though because I thought we had already picked up some kind of option to bring L.T. back. We're not really going to carry 4 RBs and 1 FB, are we?

I don't see why not. They carried 3 RBs and 2 FBs last season. Dump Richardson and you are at the same amount. They carried Cumberland all year on the roster/inactive. He'll have to sh*t or get off the pot. Maybe they will just roll with Keller, Mulligan and Cumberland and there are two roster spots right there. I can't imagine them carrying less WRs, but they may be willing to split Keller, Cumberland, Tomlinson and/or McKnight so they might not need to add too many. If Powell and Connor add to specials they might not need to carry as many active LBs

If Powell was really somebody they were targeting to get (and I am liking him the more I learn about him), then I hope they let LT go. LT showed flashes early, but quickly fell into a rut of first contact and down. Now he is a year older. Save the money and go with the young legs and different styles of the three kids.

One name:

Ahmad Bradshaw.

He's a clone of that guy, and adds a toughness to our run game that when I think about it...I'm not sure we have. I think he might even put Greene to shame with how tough he'll run behind our line. On an intuitive level I like this pick alot, despite the fact that I wasn't huge on picking a RB. I was actually hoping they'd go for Vereen, but Powell packs more of a punch.

One name:

Ahmad Bradshaw.

He's a clone of that guy, and adds a toughness to our run game that when I think about it...I'm not sure we have. I think he might even put Greene to shame with how tough he'll run behind our line. On an intuitive level I like this pick alot, despite the fact that I wasn't huge on picking a RB. I was actually hoping they'd go for Vereen, but Powell packs more of a punch.

Lets hope he doesnt fumble as much as Ahmad does.

Shonn Greene is entering the third year of a four year contract, and I don't think he's come close to living up to the hype that surrounded the Jets need to trade up to the top of the third round to select him. His carries jumped from 108 to 185 last year, but his TD's (and to his credit, fumbles) stayed stagnant, and his ypc dropped nearly a yard.

He had a coming out party in the '09 playoffs with two terrific performances, and backed that up with just one 100 yard game last year (117 against Buffalo - where Joe McKnight had his 189 yard performance).

I think Powell is here to give him legitimate competition for the #1 RB spot, and that if he's not; he should be.

One name:

Ahmad Bradshaw.

I think that's a perfect comparison. Really like Powell, just wasn't thrilled with taking a RB in general. Vereen fits well with what NE likes to do, it's going to be irritating stopping him in the screen game.

I mentioned this in another thread and I'll say it here again, FWIW, Charlie Casserly thinks this pick is the best value pick in the entire draft. Not that he's some time of god, but I think he does do his research and he really liked this player.

The way they were celebrating in the war room clearly indicates the Jets feel the same way. I trust this regime a lot when it comes to personnel. I think they have a good read on what type of value players can add to their team.

Shonn Greene is entering the third year of a four year contract, and I don't think he's come close to living up to the hype that surrounded the Jets need to trade up to the top of the third round to select him. His carries jumped from 108 to 185 last year, but his TD's (and to his credit, fumbles) stayed stagnant, and his ypc dropped nearly a yard.

He had a coming out party in the '09 playoffs with two terrific performances, and backed that up with just one 100 yard game last year (117 against Buffalo - where Joe McKnight had his 189 yard performance).

I think Powell is here to give him legitimate competition for the #1 RB spot, and that if he's not; he should be.

He was clearly 2nd fiddle for most of the year. If LT has anything left, i'd really like to save his legs and experience for they playoffs and not burn him out by midseason like last year.

He was clearly 2nd fiddle for most of the year. If LT has anything left, i'd really like to save his legs and experience for they playoffs and not burn him out by midseason like last year.

He was even more clearly second fiddle the previous year, but put up much better numbers.

In 2010, he had 9 games with sub-4 ypc. In 2009, he had only 7, with three of those coming on 3 or fewer carries.

In his rookie year, he looked potentially special. He followed it up looking pretty average behind a very good OL. Tomlinson is supposedly toast, but still managed a better ypc than Greene despite the fact that LT got practically all the short yardage carries. To me, that's pretty damning.

I think what they think of Greene has a lot to do with this pick.

He was even more clearly second fiddle the previous year, but put up much better numbers.

In 2010, he had 9 games with sub-4 ypc. In 2009, he had only 7, with three of those coming on 3 or fewer carries.

In his rookie year, he looked potentially special. He followed it up looking pretty average behind a very good OL. Tomlinson is supposedly toast, but still managed a better ypc than Greene despite the fact that LT got practically all the short yardage carries. To me, that's pretty damning.

I think what they think of Greene has a lot to do with this pick.

Maybe, but I think it indicates more that they whiffed on McKnight last year.

Greene picked it up in the playoffs again. I'm not overly concerned with him....drafting a back every year is never a bad idea either.

Maybe, but I think it indicates more that they whiffed on McKnight last year.

Greene picked it up in the playoffs again. I'm not overly concerned with him....drafting a back every year is never a bad idea either.

They take RB's more often than I would. I'd take one high when I needed an instant starter, otherwise I'd scoop a couple out of the UDFA market every year. There's always a couple good backs there.

Greene's reminding me a lot of LaMont Jordan. The Jets are big on loyalty, and Greene will get the nod at RB, but I expect Bilal to push him.

I also hate the beatings that McKnight takes in here. I see him having a nice career in a Brad Smith type fashion. Solid special teamer, and a guy whose hands they try to get on the ball in a variety of ways. If Smith is gone this year, I could see McKnight handling some option duties, KOR's, and even lining up outside once in a while. Kid took a lot of sh*t last year, stuck with it, and made himself valuable on special teams.

Weaknesses:

• Average speed / quickness and lacks a burst

• Is not very shifty, slippery, elusive or agile

• May struggle to get outside and turn corner

• Vision and overall instincts are questionable

• Needs to work on keeping his pad level down

• Has struggled with weight and conditioning

• Some concerns when it comes to durability

• Didn't turn it on and emerge until senior year

Is that all? It would have been quicker to just type he sucks

They take RB's more often than I would. I'd take one high when I needed an instant starter, otherwise I'd scoop a couple out of the UDFA market every year. There's always a couple good backs there.

Greene's reminding me a lot of LaMont Jordan. The Jets are big on loyalty, and Greene will get the nod at RB, but I expect Bilal to push him.

I also hate the beatings that McKnight takes in here. I see him having a nice career in a Brad Smith type fashion. Solid special teamer, and a guy whose hands they try to get on the ball in a variety of ways. If Smith is gone this year, I could see McKnight handling some option duties, KOR's, and even lining up outside once in a while. Kid took a lot of sh*t last year, stuck with it, and made himself valuable on special teams.

Absolutely agree on McKnight. When you consider how badly he started out, you have to give him some serious credit for how he turned things around. He dug himself into a REAL deep hole early and by the end found ways to get himself onto the field. With Wright gone Westhoff spent most of the season trying different people out at gunner and McKnight was the one who eventually took that job and ran with it, and if you ask me was very impressive in that role. For a guy to start off as badly as he did to get his way onto the field on special teams tells you a lot about the work he put in. Especially considering that you know Westhoff doesn't put up with sh*t from anyone.

While I know everyone likes to crap on his performance in the Bills game, the bottom line is he was playing with second string blockers and still outperformed both of the guys on the depth chart ahead of him from earlier in the season. He actually put up the second best rushing performance anyone did against the Bills ALL SEASON. He's never going to be a starter or every down type back with the Jets, but I would be shocked if once LT is gone, he's not the Jets immediate option as 3rd down back and even utilized some in that role and in a change of pace capacity even if LT is here this year.

Archived