lets have another Sanchez argument

Matt39

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Full Rex quote from King will be helpful:

Ryan tells an interesting story in the book about pursuing a franchise quarterback once he got the Jets job. The choice came down to USC's Mark Sanchez and Kansas State's Josh Freeman. "We sent both of them a mini-playbook and asked them to learn what they could from it before they met with us,'' Ryan told me. "They both blew the doors off us when we got them in a room. We'd ask about out formations and bam-bam-bam, they knew it all quick. Both very, very sharp guys.''

But in telling the story in the book, Ryan says one of the factors that swayed the Jets was how Sanchez was regarded by his peers. He said 24 high school and college mates showed up to catch balls for Sanchez. When they'd been to Kansas State to work out Freeman, two of his receivers showed up. "Honestly,'' Ryan told me, "that might have been what separated them -- the immense respect we sensed from the people who played with Mark and knew him so well.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/05/08/mmqb/index.html#ixzz1LsfSx53e

I'm not. Freeman has won one game when playing against a team with a winning record in his career.

Right, but it's not like he had the supporting cast he would have had here. I'm a Sanchez fan but I'd trade him straight up for Freeman in a heartbeat.

Ryan also said the Jets' decision to draft a quarterback in 2009 came down to Mark Sanchez and Josh Freeman. The Jets apparently loved them both, but Sanchez emerged as their choice because teammates responded to him better.

Really went out on a limb there to say this. Stafford was getting drafted #1 by the Lions and there were only 2 more pure QB's in the entire draft who were projected before round 4. So not much of a stretch to say that the Jets were going to either draft the 2nd-rated or 3rd-rated QB in the draft - the only 2 after Stafford with round 1 grades - after Favre had retired again and the only QB's left on the roster were Kellen Clemens and Erik Ainge.

Right, but it's not like he had the supporting cast he would have had here. I'm a Sanchez fan but I'd trade him straight up for Freeman in a heartbeat.

I'm not so sure about that. LeGarrette Blount was a beast for them last year and Mike Williams is an emerging stud. And nobody wants to admit how good Kellen Winslow is.

If Sanchez had those guys and the favorable schedule Tampa had last year he probably could have put up similar numbers.

They played the NFC West dude. That's like a D1 team playing a D1AA team.

I'm not so sure about that. LeGarrette Blount was a beast for them last year and Mike Williams is an emerging stud. And nobody wants to admit how good Kellen Winslow is.

If Sanchez had those guys and the favorable schedule Tampa had last year he probably could have put up similar numbers.

They played the NFC West dude. That's like a D1 team playing a D1AA team.

Tampa has a nice young skill position group but the Jets roster is flat out better. On both sides of the ball. Your NFC West point is valid.

Tampa has a nice young skill position group but the Jets roster is flat out better. On both sides of the ball. Your NFC West point is valid.

The Jets played both North divisions last year. Let's see Freeman's numbers when he plays Green Bay, Chicago, Pittsburgh and Baltimore's defenses all in the same year. And it's not like they play tough D in the NFC South either. Those games are track meets.

With all due respect, you're out of your f$#@ing mind.

Call me crazy, but as it stands now I'll take the guy who had the 25-6 TD to interception ratio and managed to complete 61 percent of his passes. I'm not sitting here complaining that we ended up with Sanchez, I just think Freeman is better now and has the higher upside.

Call me crazy, but as it stands now I'll take the guy who had the 25-6 TD to interception ratio and managed to complete 61 percent of his passes. I'm not sitting here complaining that we ended up with Sanchez, I just think Freeman is better now and has the higher upside.

Freeman: 1 career win against a team with a winning record.

Sanchez: Most road playoff wins in NFL history.

Yeah, but how many of them were thrown to his HIGH SCHOOL TEAMMATES!?!?

Let's not.

Tell me when Josh Freeman leads his team to a winning record when he's not playing the easiest schedule in the NFL.

tell me when sanchez leads his team to a winning record without a top 3 defense

Freeman: 1 career win against a team with a winning record.

Sanchez: Most road playoff wins in NFL history.

Freeman: That would probably change if he had been on the Jets the last two years. I realize that is an unprovable hypothetical but I think it's true.

Sanchez: Awesome. One of the reasons that I like the guy.

While I get your point and know what you're doing, how can you not be thrilled to have a QB who couldn't possibly be more of the Anti-Pennington?

I have no problem with Sanchez.. I've always been in favor of the pick and the player.. just don't think he's anywhere as good yet as klacko is claiming.. so in that one regard, over-worship, he's becomming too similiar to CP

I have no problem with Sanchez.. I've always been in favor of the pick and the player.. just don't think he's anywhere as good yet as klacko is claiming.. so in that one regard, over-worship, he's becomming too similiar to CP

I'm not saying he's a superstar dude. I am saying I like him more than I like Josh Freeman. I was glad we didn't take Freeman because his numbers declined significantly from his sophomore year to his junior year at K-State. I really wanted Percy Harvin in the 2009 draft and thought we were in a perfect position to draft him.

Now if you think Freeman is so good that saying Sanchez is better is making Sanchez out to be awesome then that's an entirely different conversation.

I think Sanchez is better than Freeman and has done more impressive things while facing tougher competition overall. That's it. I am not comparing Sanchez to Peyton Manning.

Perhaps, but I can deal with it considering he still doesn't get a fraction of the worship Chad once did (and for some, still does), and has already done more in his career to earn it than ole JCP. Frankly, I know there are a number of areas he definitely needs to improve on and be more consistent in, but it's still early and from what we've seen so far, I'm cautiously optimistic. If nothing else, at this point I'm still riding the high of being thrilled to have a Jets QB who doesn't sh*t all over himself every time it actually matters.

Given how filled the NFL is with choke-artist QBs these days, I probably wouldn't want a number of the "better" QBs over Sanchez.

Archived