Schotty Likes Round 7 "Mac" Attack

flgreen

Schotty Likes Jets’ Round 7 ‘Mac’ Attack

Posted by Eric Allen on May 11, 2011 – 2:15 pm

The Jets have their franchise signalcaller already in place, but that doesn’t mean they kept Mark Sanchez out of their mind once the 2011 NFL Draft reached its seventh and final round. They invested in quarterback insurance and got great value with the selection of Alabama’s Greg McElroy (No. 208 overall) and then they came back 19 selections later and grabbed one of Sanchez’s closest friends in ultra-productive Colorado WR Scotty McKnight.

McElroy, who wore No. 12 at ‘Bama in honor of his dad’s favorite player, also led the Tide to a national championship just as Jets great Joe Namath did. The 6’2”, 225-pounder started 27 games for the Crimson Tide, ranking third in school history with 39 touchdown passes, and his 1.52 interception percentage was the lowest in school annals.

Last season McElroy completed a sterling 71 percent of his passes for 2,987 yards and 20 touchdowns with just five interceptions. That followed an undefeated championship campaign as he threw for 2,508 yards and 17 TDs.

“That’s where the draft process is not perfect — we were definitely surprised he was there,” Schottenheimer said. “But you look at a guy who broke his thumb in the Senior Bowl and was not able to do many things in the offseason like the combine. Sometimes those guys fall through the cracks. It’s crazy to think of a guy that I think has lost maybe four games throughout his high school and college career falling through the cracks. We were thrilled when he was there and you can never have enough quarterbacks. The guy’s a winner. The guy’s extremely bright.”

Since seventh grade, McElroy owns a 40-3 mark as a starter and was 24-3 while leading the Tide. He completed his undergraduate degree in three years, posting a 3.86 grade-point average in business marketing. But the well-rounded McElroy, who threw for 56 touchdowns in his one year as a starter at Southlake Carroll HS in Dallas, has physical skills that shouldn’t be dismissed.

“He has great arm talent. I think the guy is extremely accurate. He has plenty of arm strength, arm velocity, throws the deep ball, throws the nine [go route] really well,” Schotty said. “He is maybe not as tall as you would like, like a guy 6’3”, 6’4”. But he knows how to move in the pocket and that’s what you need. It’s similar to the way we have it with Mark Sanchez — able to move around and find throwing lanes. The guy’s truly underrated when it comes to his physical ability because he has a lot of strong traits we’re excited to work with.”

McElroy also has worked under the same QB guru as Sanchez. Born in Los Angeles, McElroy began training with Mission Viejo head coach Bob Johnson in his pre-teen days.

“That should be an easy fit chemistry-wise and camaraderie-wise,” Schottenheimer said. “We think maybe we got an awfully good player to work with and develop over the years.”

While McElroy will compete behind Sanchez, McKnight hopes he’ll be in position to catch plenty of his passes from his childhood pal. The 5’11”, 185-pound McKnight, not invited to the combine, is the all-time Colorado leader in receptions (215) and receiving touchdowns (22). He was the 10th player in NCAA history to catch a pass in each game he appeared in and the Jets were quite aware of his receiving prowess.

“I remember I think it was our bye last year, Mark flew out to Colorado to watch him break the Colorado receiving record for the number of catches or yards,” said the Jets’ offensive mastermind. “You start taking notice of that. And then Mark goes out to help out with Colorado’s pro day.”

While the Buffaloes will transition from the Big 12 to the Pac-12 without McKnight, his elevation to the pros will be made easier by Sanchez.

“I think we’re getting an awfully good football player, a guy who can play in the slot and a guy who produced in a very good conference,” Schotty said. “We’re excited to add Scotty in there, and to know Mark and him will have that ‘me-to-you’ factor immediately is a benefit.”

I’ve seen McElroy play quite a bit. Not because I had a clue he would wind up with the Jets, but because I watch a ton of SEC football. Actually more then I watch NFL except for the Jets.

I was stunned that he was still there in the 7th. He doesn’t have a very strong up field arm, but he does get it up field accurately. Lot of wobble, and loft to it, but it gets there on time.

He strongly reminds me of Pennington before the shoulder injuries. Same type of smart accurate QB. I know a lot of Jets fans will groan about that, but if Pennington had been drafted in the 7th he wouldn’t have all the hate he gets.

I honestly thought he was going to be drafted around the 4th round. I guess the broken thumb hurt him. This kid is going to be a good NFL player, not talking a franchise QB, but I suspect he is going to be around the NFL for a very long time.

I’m glad he’s a Jet

He strongly reminds me of Pennington before the shoulder injuries. Same type of smart accurate QB. I know a lot of Jets fans will groan about that, but if Pennington had been drafted in the 7th he wouldn’t have all the hate he gets.

Disagree. Pennington was a d*** who undermined other QB's in his efforts to win a starting job. McElroy seems like a kid who will accept his role.

I'm still convinced this is really when he re-injured his shoulder.

I find it hilarious how people put him onto some high moral pedestal with really no reason behind it whatsoever. Even if you don't agree with those of us who think he is a douche that's fine, but there's absolutely nothing to support him being any better of a person than your average NFL player.

Disagree. Pennington was a d*** who undermined other QB's in his efforts to win a starting job. McElroy seems like a kid who will accept his role.

He undermined them by playing better in practice? When Pennington first arrived they had to push him because he was too passive. He was afraid to let the ball loose and content to sit on his a$$ while Testicles ran the team. Even if you believe that Pennington somehow "undermined other QB's" he certainly didn't do it when he was drafted. Give the kid time. If he's any good he'll be looking for a starting job too. Hell, Clemens has sucked a$$ and he "wants a chance to start".

according to this article he only played 16 games in highschool and went undefeated and then went 24-3 at alabama to get to 40-3? So he only played his senior season and won the state championship? Is that accurate? but the article says he was 40-3 since 7th grade so does that mean he only played 43 games from 7th-12th grade? something doesnt add up either way or am i missing something.

He undermined them by playing better in practice? When Pennington first arrived they had to push him because he was too passive. He was afraid to let the ball loose and content to sit on his a$$ while Testicles ran the team. Even if you believe that Pennington somehow "undermined other QB's" he certainly didn't do it when he was drafted. Give the kid time. If he's any good he'll be looking for a starting job too. Hell, Clemens has sucked a$$ and he "wants a chance to start".

So you're saying give McElroy time and he'll turn into a d*** too, right? ;)

I'm still convinced this is really when he re-injured his shoulder.

I find it hilarious how people put him onto some high moral pedestal with really no reason behind it whatsoever. Even if you don't agree with those of us who think he is a douche that's fine, but there's absolutely nothing to support him being any better of a person than your average NFL player.

Considering the assault charges, women intimidated and/or impregnated, drug and alcohol busts, etc., perhaps it is fairly safe to say that Pennington is a better person than the average NFL player - which in no way needs to suggest that he's even a decent human human being.

Although he's probably a much better person than the average owner. :)

Considering the assault charges, women intimidated and/or impregnated, drug and alcohol busts, etc., perhaps it is fairly safe to say that Pennington is a better person than the average NFL player - which in no way needs to suggest that he's even a decent human human being.

Although he's probably a much better person than the average owner. :)

I wouldn't exactly call those the actions of the average player. Granted, those are the ones who get put into the spotlight and reported on most by the sensationalistic "news". Most players you never hear about their personal lives because in all likelihood they're just normal people. Those are the kind of players I'm talking about when I say there's no reason to believe Chad is better than average.

Archived