Does Randy Moss to the New York Jets Make Sense? You Tell Me…

MikeC

When the dam opens and the free agent UFA’s all flood the market at once, there is going to be one hell of a signing orgy. One of the most anticipated and publicized situations will be what the New York Jets do as they have a ton number of Unrestricted Free Agents and obviously will not be able to sign them all.

Holmes was clear that the only way he would stay with the Jets is with a long-term contract. How about Randy? I think this is a pretty interesting article that lets you make up your own mind.

Here is the full story. Thanks for signing up Mike.

custom.gif mike_avatar_100.pngBy Mike Cardano

Executive Director

May 10th, 2011 Optimized-Moss.jpgThis NFL Lockout is screwing up everything. I hear people say that it doesn’t matter that there is a lockout now, as long as they get it straightened out by some time this summer. Anyone who thinks the lockout isn’t messing with the league’s daughter right now is either ignorant or they are messing with her too. The whole damn NFL equilibrium is messed up right now.

This past weekend, NFL Scout, Jayson Braddock, spoke about the importance of the Undrafted Free Agents to the function of the NFL and how all the UDFA’s are currently stuck in limbo. Not only are those players getting screwed at the moment, but the teams are as well. No one knows who is going to end up where and teams can’t plan anything with regard to their roster composition. Just as important, is the Unrestricted Free Agent market, and no one knows when teams will be able to start signing players.

When the dam opens and the free agent UFA’s all flood the market at once, there is going to be one hell of a signing orgy. One of the most anticipated and publicized situations will be what the New York Jets do as they have a ton number of Unrestricted Free Agents and obviously will not be able to sign them all.

New York Jets Unrestricted Free Agents

• Optimized-JetsLogo-300x178.jpgDavid Harris
  • Antonio Cromartie
  • Santonio Holmes
  • Braylon Edwards
  • Brad Smith
  • Brodney Pool
  • Shaun Ellis
  • Tony Richardson
  • Drew Coleman
  • Eric Smith
  • James Ihedigbo
  • Nick Folk
  • Steve Weatherford
  • Kellen Clemens

Most people assume that the 2011 season, should it happen, will fall under the rules of the previous collective bargaining agreement. If this is the case the Jets would be able to re-sign their big play receiver, Santonio Holmes, for $3.5 million. Even though prior to the lockout the Jets placed the highest restricted tender possible on him should he sign with another team (first- and third-round draft picks), Holmes was clear that the only way he would stay with the Jets is with a long-term contract. So as it stands now, Holmes is just as likely to not be re-signed as any of the other players on this list.

So who would replace the big play ability of Holmes if he signs elsewhere? Last month on NFL.com, Vic Carucci speculated that Randy Moss might be the guy and now that theory is gaining some steam. Carucci suggests that head coach, Rex Ryan, still thinks that Moss has value in stretching the field and that Ryan wouldn’t at all be concerned with Moss’ baggage that he brings.

Carucci says, “The off-the-field headaches Moss can bring with his me-first attitude don’t concern Ryan in the least. Ryan guides a Jets team with egos large enough to rival his own, and has shown in back-to-back AFC Championship Game appearances during his first two seasons as a head coach that he doesn’t allow such things to get in his way.”

According to multiple league insiders, the interest the Jets have in Moss is twofold. One, it could help them weather the very real possibility of losing at least one of their three free-agent receivers: Holmes, Braylon Edwards and Brad Smith. Two, it would keep Moss from returning to the Patriots, whom he is known to want to re-join.”

As a close observer of the New York Jets, I have to say that I honestly don’t think that Moss would be a problem in the Jets locker room. Besides the Braylon Edwards DUI, Ryan was able to keep Edwards, Santonio Holmes and Antonio Cromartie (and his kids) all out of trouble, focused and playing well. One more animal added to the Jets zoo just wouldn’t matter. Also, adding a knucklehead to the equation, particularly if you are subtracting one or more should be a non-issue.

Last year turned out to be a career worst for Moss with just 28 receptions for three teams. He totaled just 393 yards with 5 TD’s, his longest being a 37 yarder. Moss just turned 34 in February and there are many who say that he’s washed up. Those claiming that Moss is a has-been may in fact turn out to be correct. He certainly hasn’t gotten any faster. But if you are one of those claiming that Moss is done and you also said that after his putrid 2006 campaign with Oakland, when he only had 42 catches for 553 yards and 3 TD’s, well, you lost your right to even opine on the topic and I don’t want to hear from you. Not unless you explain Moss’ next year of 98 catches for 1,493 yards with 23 TD’s. 23 TD’s! 23! Yes I know that Tom Brady was throwing him the ball, but Tom Brady has thrown passes to plenty of fine receivers and none of them went 1,493 / 23.

The counter argument to the above is that while Moss hasn’t gotten any faster, reports are that he hasn’t gotten all that much slower either. I know he hasn’t gotten shorter and he’s still got hands. Also, since Moss really didn’t have the ball thrown his way that often, he certainly didn’t get beat up last year.

You can make the argument pro or con for Moss in a Jets uniform and you can present a factual compelling argument either way. Here’s a list of all the Free Agent Wide Receivers on the market (not including the UDFA’s.) You tell me, is Randy Moss the best one to get?

• Randy Moss (TEN)
  • Santonio Holmes (NYJ)
  • Braylon Edwards (NYJ)
  • Brad Smith (NYJ)
  • Steve Breaston (ARI)
  • Early Doucet (ARZ)
  • Brian Finneran (ATL)
  • Donte’ Stallworth (BAL)
  • TJ Houshmandzadeh (BAL)
  • Rashied Davis (CHI)
  • Devin Aromashodu (CHI)
  • Terrell Owens (CIN)
  • Chansi Stuckey (CLE)
  • Sam Hurd (DAL)
  • James Jones (GB)
  • Jacoby Jones (HOU)
  • Mike Sims-Walker (JAC)
  • Kevin Curtis (MIA)
  • Sidney Rice (MIN)
  • Hank Baskett (MIN)
  • Greg Lewis (MIN)
  • Lance Moore (NO)
  • Courtney Roby (NO)
  • Derek Hagan (NYG)
  • Steve Smith (NYG)
  • Darius Reynaud (NYG)
  • Johnnie Lee Higgins (OAK)
  • Legedu Naanee (SD)
  • Malcom Floyd (SD)
  • Vincent Jackson (SD)
  • Ben Obomanu (SEA)
  • Mike Williams (SEA)
  • Laurent Robinson (STL)
  • Danny Amendola (STL)
  • Mark Clayton (STL)
  • Maurice Stovall (TB)
  • Santana Moss (WAS)

No. Randy Moss played on 3 separate teams last year and sucked on every one. The dude is way past his prime and only plays good when he wants to. Picking up Moss would be a HUGE mistake. There are much better options out there. We should focus on Holmes and Edwards.

Yes.

He is going to receive the vet minimum with incentives.

Like in 2007, he could be motivated for one last huge contract. Plus, he just might be motivated to play the Patriots twice.

You do not see this as a win-win?

If 2007 Moss shows up, he is going to be huge.

If 2010 Moss shows, it is minimum investment.

You do not see this as a win-win?

If 2007 Moss shows up, he is going to be huge.

If 2010 Moss shows, it is minimum investment.

No, I don't see it as a win-win. The Pats delivered Moss from football purgatory, (otherwise known as Oakland) and gave him a career renaissance. He rewards them by calling out the QB in the locker room. He follows this up by playing badly for a team that made an active effort to recruit him, and bombed out on a third team afterward.

The Jets have a SuperBowl to win. If Braylon or Homes don't get signed, I expect the Jets to take pains to get the best replacement available, not waste their time hoping some old headcase can somehow get it together again.

Moss never tried because his heart was left in NE after the trade and he was clearly not in any team's gameplans... Moss is the second best receiver on that board behind vincent jackson, if we had to lose one our two receivers he is the guy to pursue hands down

The Jets do not need WR's who wont block nor catch a pass over the middle in traffic which is excatly what Moss is.

Braylon Stays, Santonio goes, Smith will stay as well.

There are some decent WR's on that list we can consider to replace Alligator arms Santonio. Jacoby Jones, Lance Moore (age ? ) .....I would much rather we rely on posession type receivers rather than Santonios 3 or 4 big plays per year along with tons of drops and the fear of getting hit over the middle. i just wish there was a way to Dump that waste Dustin Keller as well/

i just wish there was a way to Dump that waste Dustin Keller as well/

Tell me he didn't just say that!?

Dustin is good. Don't blame him because Shotty doesn't call a lot of plays for him.

Dude compare Holmes and Edwards stats. They are almost the same, and that's with Holmes missing 1/4 of the season. 3 or 4 big plays the whole year, my a$$. We need to find a way to get Holmes and Edwards signed, even if we lose Cro and Smith. We don't want some washed up has been who's heart isn't in the game anymore.

Slouch. Moss doesn't sniff top 5 on that list. Will he play "like a Jet"? He's quit like a dog on more than one team. Won't the guys you are asking to run through brick walls going to be bothered by signing this lazy dog?

OTOH, plaxico isn't exactly a model citizen and everybody seems to love that idea.

You tell me, is Randy Moss the best one to get?

ummmmmmmm

• Santonio Holmes (NYJ)
  • Braylon Edwards (NYJ)
  • Mike Sims-Walker (JAC)
  • Sidney Rice (MIN)
  • Malcom Floyd (SD)
  • Vincent Jackson (SD)

no

I'm sure cost - both in terms of dollars and draft pick compensation - is not an insignificant factor. While I won't be surprised by some team overpaying, Moss is unlikely to garner a deal as big as these guys (with the obvious exception of Sims-Walker) if they all have their freedom as full unrestricted free agents like Moss. And absent players like Holmes and VJ getting picked up by a team willing to surrender a first round draft pick and more, there isn't much out there to choose from.

Archived