anyone else see what Scottie Pippen said? UH OH

Blackout

Wow Im shocked that they went there. I guess they want a perimeter defender who can probably get out and dunk on the break. Cant see him doing well offensively in the NBA. Hes a pretty terrible shooter without the confidence in his ballhandling needed to use his athleticism to drive to the hoop.

Somebody to try and stay in front of Wade, maybe? They probably figured they weren't taking Melo off the court anyway, so they had no need for Singleton. This is a weird draft.

Somebody to try and stay in front of Wade, maybe? They probably figured they weren't taking Melo off the court anyway, so they had no need for Singleton. This is a weird draft.

Could be. I guess in theory with Melo and Amare they dont need another scorer, especially if they do intend on making a run at someone like Paul. Its not like he is a total offensive liability in that he is going to project to make a team play 4 on 5, buts hes pretty much a throwaway player on offense. Still its kind of crazy for the crowd to boo. Its the middle of the NBA draft. Its not like the NFL where you often find big players. Picking where the Knicks did is like picking in the 5th or 6th round of the NFL draft. If you find a guy that becomes a good quality starter you really hit it big.

Could be. I guess in theory with Melo and Amare they dont need another scorer, especially if they do intend on making a run at someone like Paul. Its not like he is a total offensive liability in that he is going to project to make a team play 4 on 5, buts hes pretty much a throwaway player on offense. Still its kind of crazy for the crowd to boo. Its the middle of the NBA draft. Its not like the NFL where you often find big players. Picking where the Knicks did is like picking in the 5th or 6th round of the NFL draft. If you find a guy that becomes a good quality starter you really hit it big.

Ha. You know how draft crowds are. They'd sell their children for the right to draft a player that they'd never even heard of until they read a profile on him in the paper. How many of those people ever watched Chris Singleton (who I assume they wanted) play a minute of basketball?

Speaking of fans getting excited about players they've never seen, I like what the Nets came away with--Marshon Brooks and Jordan Williams. Two dudes who can actually do something with the basketball when it drops into their hands. Hopefully, it's a precursor to trading Brook Shields Lopez and bringing in guys with a pulse to placate Deron Williams.

Utah drafted Kanter with the pick they got for Williams, essentially to take minutes away from uber-bust Derrick Favors, who they also got in the Williams deal. Moral of that story: never trade your stars until there's a gun to your head.

Georgia Tech was probably the dumbest basketball team I've ever seen so I'm sure he'll fit right in with the Knicks philosophy.

But from the looks of it- he has freak athleticism and can hopefully will be able to handle the elite guards of the league on the perimeter.

I would have preferred Singleton, but Isiah knows more than I do.

Ha. You know how draft crowds are. They'd sell their children for the right to draft a player that they'd never even heard of until they read a profile on him in the paper. How many of those people ever watched Chris Singleton (who I assume they wanted) play a minute of basketball?

Speaking of fans getting excited about players they've never seen, I like what the Nets came away with--Marshon Brooks and Jordan Williams. Two dudes who can actually do something with the basketball when it drops into their hands. Hopefully, it's a precursor to trading Brook Shields Lopez and bringing in guys with a pulse to placate Deron Williams.

Utah drafted Kanter with the pick they got for Williams, essentially to take minutes away from uber-bust Derrick Favors, who they also got in the Williams deal. Moral of that story: never trade your stars until there's a gun to your head.

Brooks could be a streak scorer in the NBA. You would think a player like him would mesh well with a point that can drive and work the lane where someone can kick it out to him. I do think he has to mature alot for the league. In college he was definitely a me-firt player way more interested in scoring 40 points on a given night than winning a game. Sometimes those guys can become nice complements in the NBA or they just mope and play with no energy....Im not so sure on Williams. Seems like a guy that is going to battle weight issues. I guess he lost some weight to get ready for the draft, but who knows if that lasts. He'll outwork guys if he makes the team and could be someone that runs into a short jumper or gets garbage baskets on offense.

I still dont get the Utah trade. I guess they feel the ceiling is high enough for Favors to justify it, even though Favors quickly fell out of favor with the Nets staff, though they never wanted him in the first place. I think the team was crushed when they lost the lottery and lost out on Wall. But tossing Williams aside with a year and a half left for Favors, a high pick in a weak draft and some late nothing selections just seems like poor value.

Shumpert is a athletic freak who is the best defensive guard in the draft.

He's a bum.

Aside from having been able to watch him on national TV, what makes Faried's skillset in Biyombo's body better than Biyombo himself?

Is this a serious question? Faried's skillset in Biyombo's body is a top ten player in the league day one.

Brooks could be a streak scorer in the NBA. You would think a player like him would mesh well with a point that can drive and work the lane where someone can kick it out to him. I do think he has to mature alot for the league. In college he was definitely a me-firt player way more interested in scoring 40 points on a given night than winning a game. Sometimes those guys can become nice complements in the NBA or they just mope and play with no energy....Im not so sure on Williams. Seems like a guy that is going to battle weight issues. I guess he lost some weight to get ready for the draft, but who knows if that lasts. He'll outwork guys if he makes the team and could be someone that runs into a short jumper or gets garbage baskets on offense.

I still dont get the Utah trade. I guess they feel the ceiling is high enough for Favors to justify it, even though Favors quickly fell out of favor with the Nets staff, though they never wanted him in the first place. I think the team was crushed when they lost the lottery and lost out on Wall. But tossing Williams aside with a year and a half left for Favors, a high pick in a weak draft and some late nothing selections just seems like poor value.

The Jazz completely panicked after the Sloan thing and made a Mangini-esque move--dumping the perceived malcontent for below market value to show who's boss. Utah is on its way to becoming a moribund franchise. Favors is terrible who will, at best, be Tony Battie. Zero feel for where to be on an NBA court.

The more I read and see of Brooks, his upside seems to be Jason Terry. He's supposed to have character concerns, though. I can't imagine he'd start problems with Deron Williams looking him in the eye every day. There was an interesting thing I was reading about Brooks--using some advanced metrics, they determined that while he was a chucker, he was surprisingly efficient with the shots he took. If he cuts out the fade-away 20-footers, he'll stick.

There was an interesting thing I was reading about Brooks--using some advanced metrics, they determined that while he was a chucker, he was surprisingly efficient with the shots he took. If he cuts out the fade-away 20-footers, he'll stick.

At what point does one go from "efficient chucker" to "scorer" in the NBA?

• 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The funny thing is Pippen had all those opportunities to do escape the shadow and never could. His first non Jordan year they couldnt even win the division and then he pouted in the playoffs. His second year they were essentially a 500 team until Jordan came back and led the team on a big run to close the year and get a decent seed in the playoffs. He had all those opportunities in Portland, which was arguably the most talented team (on paper) in the west. He was supposed to be the missing piece as the veteran leader and 6th man type atfer getting wiped out by the Spurs the year before. He essentially made no differrence. They got to the West Finals and blew it. I dont think they ever got out of the first round after that year.

I actually dont think Pippen goes into the HOF if there was no Michael Jordan. He would have been one of those guys that was the lead scorer on a team, but he never would have been a big winner or filled up the stat sheet the way he did with Jordan. It would have been more along the lines of players the caliber of a Kendall Gill or Hammer Gilliam simply being the best option on a medicore team and scoring points.

In the reg season they were 2 games worse than they were the prior season with Jordan. Take Kobe off the 2009-2010 Lakers and tell me they still win it all if he isn't there for the whole season. And to be fair he might have gotten to the Finals if not for that phantom foul call in '94. Chicago wiped the floor with the Pacers during the reg season so more likely than not they would have faced Houston.

Whatever -- screw Pippen and the 10,000 ridiculous calls that went Chicago's way against NY (and everyone else) over Jordan's career.

Archived