AL MVP so far?

Matt39

The fact that I root against boston doesn't change the fact that a Boston underling went to SD and traded their 28 year old best player making zilch back to his old team for nothing.

Gonzalez makes 5.5 million this year. The entire Padres Roster this season is 45 million. He would have been 10% of the payroll if still there. They cannot operate like that and he was definitely going to command a big raise, one they could not afford. Such is the life of a small market club.

And again, the Padres received top prospects and more than they would have if he left via free agency, which he would have and probably to the Red Sox.

Please show me the articles blasting Jed in San Diego. I would love to see that.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just as an addendum, Jeff Moorad, owner of the Padres, signs off on all of the deals. Just so you know. So that means he agreed to the deal.

So in your view, he must be in cahoots too and a terrible businessman and owner and he should be fired and run back to Boston too.

That is not a fact, that is an opinion. Clubs trade MLB FA ready players for prospects all the time. Nothing new here.

The Jed.Theo love story makes it new. If this was the yankees doing it you'd be ALL OVER it. You're just arguing with me for the sake of arguing.

The Jed.Theo love story makes it new. If this was the yankees doing it you'd be ALL OVER it. You're just arguing with me for the sake of arguing.

No matter that every one else sees you as delusional in this thread.

Go ahead and continue to be paranoid about crooked deals and boogeymen in baseball

Jone-What trade offer did he have in hand that was better?

Not sure you or I are lucky enough for that information

I do know this, Jed didn't know either. This signing was preordained. The day Jed signed in SD, Theo knew he hit the lottery

Prove it.

They cannot even justify him going to any of the other big market teams much less have proof.

JOneE and MM will have there little circle jerk and claim conspiracy.

Tinfoil_Hat_Cat.jpg

I think Ells and Gonzo will probably cancel each other out

Then again, the media buys into the Boston garbage

That's a distinct possibility. The top three guys in the Sox line-up could garner votes. Voting for the MVP and Cy Young in the AL will be very interesting. I wonder if the Verlander-Weaver game from this weekend will impact any voters.

I think Ells and Gonzo will probably cancel each other out

Then again, the media buys into the Boston garbage

:huh:

Says the fan of the most over hypes athlete in the history of man kind.

derek-jeter-300x295.jpg

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/index.php/offense/wrc/

Weighted Runs Created (wRC) is an improved version of Bill James’ old Runs Created (RC) statistic, which attempted to quantify a player’s total offensive value and measure it by runs. This way, instead of looking at a player’s line and listing out all the details (e.g. 23 2B, 15 HR, 55 BB, 110 K, 19 SB, 5 CS), you could synthesize all the information into one metric and say, “Player x was worth 24 runs to his team last year.” While the idea was sound, James’ formula has since been superseded by Tom Tango’s wRC and is based off of wOBA.

Similar to OPS+, Weighted Runs Created Plus (wRC+) measures how a player’s wRC compares with league average. League average is 100 and every point above 100 is a percentage point above league average. For example, a 125 wRC+ means a player created 25% more runs than league average. Similarly, every point below 100 is a percentage point below league average, so a 80 wRC+ means a player created 20% fewer runs than league average.

wRC+ is also park and league adjusted, meaning you can use it to compare players that played in different years, parks, and leagues. Want to know how Ted Williams compares with Albert Pujols in terms of offensive abilities? This is your statistic.

So, Bautista, with the highest wRC+ has created the most runs for his team (park adjusted) and is therefore quantitatively the most valuable player in the AL.

He's so valuable his team is in 4th place. He can have a silver slugger. There are players way more important to their team than Bautista.

He's so valuable his team is in 4th place. He can have a silver slugger. There are players way more important to their team than Bautista.

Not according to WAR:

Jose Bautista 7.0

Dustin Pedroia 6.7

Jacoby Ellsbury 5.8

Ben Zobrist 5.6

Adrian Gonzalez 5.3

(3 out of the top 5 for Boston :D :D)

I never bought the MVP having to be a on a first place team even before I got into sabermetrics. Sabermetrics has just confirmed that view. According to WAR, Bautista is worth 7 wins, which is the most of any player in the AL. The fact that his team is only a game over .500 just shows how much they would suck without him.

Not according to WAR:

Jose Bautista 7.0

Dustin Pedroia 6.7

Jacoby Ellsbury 5.8

Ben Zobrist 5.6

Adrian Gonzalez 5.3

(3 out of the top 5 for Boston :D :D)

I never bought the MVP having to be a on a first place team even before I got into sabermetrics. Sabermetrics has just confirmed that view. According to WAR, Bautista is worth 7 wins, which is the most of any player in the AL. The fact that his team is only a game over .500 just shows how much they would suck without him.

How many people who vote for these awards actually follow the made up stats? Look at the voting history and tell me they are going to give it to a player on a losing team.

The fact that the Jays are only one game above .500 shows that they would be in 4th place without him too.

How many people who vote for these awards actually follow the made up stats? Look at the voting history and tell me they are going to give it to a player on a losing team.

The fact that the Jays are only one game above .500 shows that they would be in 4th place without him too.

I agree with you there. Most baseball writers are complete idiots.

Sawx fans get off on MVP's

Yankess fans get off on World Championships

You never would of known that by the uproar when Morneau won the MVP over Jeter a few years back....deservedly so I might add.

Weaver of the Angels looks like the CY Young with C.C. and Verlander fighting for 2nd place.

So if Adrian Gonzalez and Bautista switched teams Bautista would be more valuable? Jays would be 25 games under .500 withouy Joey Bats.

Archived