Movies We've Seen Thread

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

They are not trying to "make art."  I think that might be the primary issue.  

There's 1967 Gen X and 1980 Gen X. There's a huge difference.

On 2/4/2024 at 2:30 PM, bicketybam said:
On 2/4/2024 at 1:24 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:
I'm convinced that nobody actually likes Wes Anderson movies (Because they all suck), but certain people pretend to like them because they think it makes them seem artsy or intelligent. 

The Royal Tenenbaums and Rushmore were good movies. Those two I liked.

Never saw The Royal Tenenbaums but Rushmore was hilarious.   You were in the sh_t?

• Upvote 1

On 12/16/2023 at 5:57 AM, Dunnie said:

Tru story .. I flew to LA for a job interview.. had to kill a few hours before ... Decided to catch a film ... No idea what Jackie Brown would be like ... Decided why not I love QTs writing. As I am watching it ... I realize during the mall parking lot scene that I'm watching the movie in that mall .. the Del Amo ... Then I realized the company I am interviewing at was located in Torrance ... A sh*t hole ... But also a location in that film.

So surreal.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Loved Jackie Brown.  Thought it was a very underrated movie.

• Upvote 3

On 4/7/2024 at 1:21 PM, Dunnie said:

Nice one .. whole nother genre..

Bridge On the River Kawaii
Stalag 17
And the very under rated ... The Camp on Blood Island.

Damn, I'm getting old, how did I forget to mention "The Great Escape"? And a friend of mine who is a huge movie nut, also mentioned to me 
"Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence"

On 4/7/2024 at 12:52 PM, Dunnie said:

All great choices ... Bridge Too Far was always a bomb with an exceptional cast .. but it's popularity has grown over the years and for that I am very happy.

Big Red One - 'The Reconstruction' makes that film much more adult and in many ways different and better.

We Were Soldiers
Fury
The Thin Red Line
Dirty Dozen
Kelly's Heroes

All good ones.

So many good films in that Genre.

I agree, so many great ones that I watched with my dad and brothers growing up, especially the WWII movies! 

One older WWI movie that was shown once a year around St Patrick's Day starring Jimmy Cagney  The Fighting 69th was a family favorite as it was about my grandfathers regiment. 

My grandfather was born in Ireland and was working as a trolley car driver in Brooklyn when we entered WWI.  He and his brother immediately signed up in the NY Irish Regiment that Robert E Lee had dubbed "The Fighting 69th" after facing hard battles against them in the Civil War. My grandfather then fought in every major battle that the U.S fought in France, though the regiment had been changed to The 165th U.S Infantry of the multi state 42nd Rainbow Division they still always considered themselves "The NY Fighting 69th". 

The movie itself was typical campy acting of that late 30's early 40's era but had a lot of big name actors...

Fighting_69th_VHS_cover.jpg

My favorite all time "war" movie though would have to be Glory . Such a powerful Civil War movie starring Denzel Washington, Mathew Broderick and Morgan Freeman which still gives me a gut wrenching sense of courage over fear when believing that the cause is greater then life itself when facing probable death in the final battle scenes.

glory-movie-poster-1989-1020191708

• Sympathy 1

I agree, so many great ones that I watched with my dad and brothers growing up, especially the WWII movies! 
One older WWI movie that was shown once a year around St Patrick's Day starring Jimmy Cagney  The Fighting 69th was a family favorite as it was about my grandfathers regiment. 
My grandfather was born in Ireland and was working as a trolley car driver in Brooklyn when we entered WWI.  He and his brother immediately signed up in the NY Irish Regiment that Robert E Lee had dubbed "The Fighting 69th" after facing hard battles against them in the Civil War. My grandfather then fought in every major battle that the U.S fought in France, though the regiment had been changed to The 165th U.S Infantry of the multi state 42nd Rainbow Division they still always considered themselves "The NY Fighting 69th". 

My favorite all time "war" movie though would have to be Glory . Such a powerful Civil War movie starring Denzel Washington, Mathew Brodderick and Morgan Freeman which still gives me a gut wrenching sense of courage over fear when believing that the cause is greater then life itself when facing probable death in the final battle scenes.
glory-movie-poster-1989-1020191708.jpg?w=660
Amazing Backstory ... I'm 100% Irish as well ... Slainte ..most of the family is military as well back to the rough riders of 1898.

I cannot believe I hadn't seen that one yet being the movie buff I am.

Will definitely give it a go.

19 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

There is a fine line between inclusion and pandering.  Disney is a few thousand miles into the panderverse.

Eric Cartman Lol GIF by South Park

I think they forgot who their target audience is.  Those horrible Housewives shows know who their target audience is and lean into it.  Disney fails to grasp that simple concept.  Plus, they provided content like a fire hose, when they needed a faucet.  

True but I think their storylines are incredibly stupid too.  And when I say I don’t mind some of the wokeness, I mean I don’t mind have female or persons of color main characters as long as it’s not overwhelmingly so.

9 hours ago, Jetkwondo said:

The movie itself was typical campy acting of that late 30's early 40's era but had a lot of big name actors...

My favorite all time "war" movie though would have to be Glory . Such a powerful Civil War movie starring Denzel Washington, Mathew Broderick and Morgan Freeman which still gives me a gut wrenching sense of courage over fear when believing that the cause is greater then life itself when facing probable death in the final battle scenes.

glory-movie-poster-1989-1020191708

My Grandfather was in the Navy on a 4 Stacker Destroyer in WWI. Yes, World War ONE. LOL. Dad was Navy. Both went on to long careers in Law Enforcement... SO, of course I went Army, and then became a Fireman. lol

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

23 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I’m a pure Gen X geek and about as big a fan of SW and Marvel as you’ll find. Honestly, there’s not enough time in our lives to be triggered by people’s choices in the art they make. I simply don’t care. 

Wolverine isn’t a tall dude who sing show tunes in my world, but that’s the Wolverine most people love. Let them.

I don't believe he was tall to begin with.  🤣

I will push back on calling it art.  The people that developed the stories created art.  Today, they are trying to color between the lines.  

8 hours ago, rangerous said:

True but I think their storylines are incredibly stupid too.  And when I say I don’t mind some of the wokeness, I mean I don’t mind have female or persons of color main characters as long as it’s not overwhelmingly so.

That I would agree with.  I am not comic expert by any stretch, but a couple of You Tube channels I follow are into much more.  I listen to their projection of where the universe could go and then see where it went.  Leaves me thinking, "are you reading the comics"?

• Upvote 1

On 4/9/2024 at 3:33 PM, PFSIKH said:

I don't believe he was tall to begin with.  🤣

I will push back on calling it art.  The people that developed the stories created art.  Today, they are trying to color between the lines.  

That I would agree with.  I am not comic expert by any stretch, but a couple of You Tube channels I follow are into much more.  I listen to their projection of where the universe could go and then see where it went.  Leaves me thinking, "are you reading the comics"?

Drinker? Gary? Drinker is great, Gary is OK. Its a Gundam cracks me tf up... 😆 

• Upvote 1

I watched few movies this weekend.

Shot caller.  It was okay.  It stars Jamie Lanister from Game of Thrones.  I am not trying to spell that name.  There are quite a few people you would recognize.  I just wonder if there was more that did not make it into the film that would have flushed somethings out.

The Bricklayer.  This was a good movie.  The thing this movie suffers from is.  It is not John Wick.  Aaron Eckhart does a good job, but his movement is not as crisp as Keanu Reeves.  It is a Korean knock off.  Probably a reference that few will get, but if you go there, you can get an Armani suit for a fraction of the price.

30 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

I watched few movies this weekend.

Shot caller.  It was okay.  It stars Jamie Lanister from Game of Thrones.  I am not trying to spell that name.  There are quite a few people you would recognize.  I just wonder if there was more that did not make it into the film that would have flushed somethings out.

The Bricklayer.  This was a good movie.  The thing this movie suffers from is.  It is not John Wick.  Aaron Eckhart does a good job, but his movement is not as crisp as Keanu Reeves.  It is a Korean knock off.  Probably a reference that few will get, but if you go there, you can get an Armani suit for a fraction of the price.

I saw Shot Caller a while back. Was pretty good for what it was, better than I expected. But yeah, seems like they cut some stuff out. Interesting story though...  a frightening look at Prison Culture. 

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I saw Shot Caller a while back. Was pretty good for what it was, better than I expected. But yeah, seems like they cut some stuff out. Interesting story though...  a frightening look at Prison Culture. 

I do not know why it started appearing on my You Tube account, hopefully not foreshadowing, but there is a whole prison experience channels you can peruse.  Ironically, Shot caller was on my radar to watch, but one of the channels put it back on when they were critical of it.  

4 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

I do not know why it started appearing on my You Tube account, hopefully not foreshadowing, but there is a whole prison experience channels you can peruse.  Ironically, Shot caller was on my radar to watch, but one of the channels put it back on when they were critical of it.  

Nah, YouTube is for fun stuff like Drinker or The Fat Electrician. Check his channel out, he has some really cool vids mostly about obscure but crazy, interesting or just flat out badass military history. Just watched something about the 77th Infantry Division in the Pacific. Amazing stuff nobody knows about anymore... he was "one of us" and has "our" humor...

Watched the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre last night. It was…ok. I can definitely see how it would scare or disturb people in the 70s but I feel like slashers have done a lot since then. Still, it wasn’t bad or anything although I did feel like the ending was sort of convenient and abrupt.

For what it was intended to be, a summer action blockbuster, Topgun : Maverick is almost a perfect movie. I watched it last night for the third time and it’s just so fun. Admittedly I’ve been playing the ace combat games for many years and I’m a fanboy of fighter missions but wow this ******* movie

As many know cruise is an accomplished pilot and was flying some of the time. 

23 minutes ago, Larz said:

For what it was intended to be, a summer action blockbuster, Topgun : Maverick is almost a perfect movie. I watched it last night for the third time and it’s just so fun. Admittedly I’ve been playing the ace combat games for many years and I’m a fanboy of fighter missions but wow this ******* movie

As many know cruise is an accomplished pilot and was flying some of the time. 

No he wasn't, lol 😅

10 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

I thought you meant the jets.

Oh no lol. They chose the f-18 because it’s a 2 seater and they could film the actors in the second seat jet with a qualified navy pilot flying. It’s still cool to see the actors dealing with the G’s. I saw an interview with the guys that were flying and the way the special effects were able to put the actors faces on them was really interesting. 
They show cruise in the second seat getting launched off a carrier and just that experience must have been amazing 

it’s a silly mission but really satisfying for the jet sequences.  I expect one bunker buster dropped from 6,000 feet would get the job done lol 

Said eff it and clicked Ricky Stanicky this weekend.

Did it exceed expectations?  How could it not, they were low to begin with.  It is a dumb funny movie.  John Cena carries the movie and introduces us to:  

Spoiler

Air Dicking