Jets third-round pick not a U.S. citizen, could be deported

F.Chowds

Posted by Evan Silva on July 8, 2011, 8:38 PM EDT

Jets rookie defensive lineman Kenrick Ellis‘ felony assault trial has been pushed back from July to November 28. Ellis needed the postponement because he recently changed attorneys.

However, Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com reports that Ellis is not a U.S. citizen. Rather, the Jamaica native is a “permanent resident,” and any person who is classified as such and convicted of an aggravated felony is deportable, per United States immigration law.

Thus, Ellis’ best bet is to agree to a plea bargain before his trial. He must make sure his assault charge isn’t of the aggravated variety and carries less than a year’s sentence.

Immediately after drafting him with the 94th overall pick, the Jets insisted they were confident in Ellis’ side of the story, which alleged that he beat a man with a baseball bat. The felony charge is for “malicious wounding.”

A repeat felony offense would also make Ellis eligible for deportation.

The Jets rated Ellis as the 36th overall player on their draft board. But one rival G.M. explained that Ellis’ court case made him all but undraftable in April:

“That was big for us. It’s a pain in the tail, the whole legal issue.”

Wait I thought he punched a guy in the face who had a baseball bat.

This is nonsense anyway. Tanny doesn't take chances that don't have the odds in his favor. This is going to be dismissed or find that it will get knocked down

It was a wiffle ball bat and the sheriff was after him for what he did to his daughter.

Jets rookie defensive lineman Kenrick Ellis‘ felony assault trial has been pushed back from July to November 28. Ellis needed the postponement because he recently changed attorneys.

However, Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com reports that Ellis is not a U.S. citizen. Rather, the Jamaica native is a “permanent resident,” and any person who is classified as such and convicted of an aggravated felony is deportable, per United States immigration law.

Thus, Ellis’ best bet is to agree to a plea bargain before his trial. He must make sure his assault charge isn’t of the aggravated variety and carries less than a year’s sentence.

Immediately after drafting him with the 94th overall pick, the Jets insisted they were confident in Ellis’ side of the story, which alleged that he beat a man with a baseball bat. The felony charge is for “malicious wounding.”

The Jets rated Ellis as the 36th overall player on their draft board. But one rival G.M. explained that Ellis’ court case made him all but undraftable in April:

Upside: enormous beast with 1st round talent.

Downside: missed out on drafting Anthony Schlegel 2011.

The rival GM's comments don't bug me since most of them are within a couple years away from getting fired anyway.

The emboldened above is all you really need to know about this "story."

The Jets drafted him because they were confident in his side of things. Whether he was deported or imprisoned, the result would be the same: he wouldn't be eligible for football. Obviously, the Jets think he'll be available for football.

I'm also not concerned about the thoughts of "one rival GM." Most of them are on short leashes, often just one decent mistake away from being fired. If Tannenbaum can survive Gholston, he can pretty much survive anything. He has job stability, and with it he can take calculated risks. Getting the 36th player on your board late in the third is a smart risk.

And Rich Cimini can continue on his quest to be the Albert Goldman of sports writing.

The emboldened above is all you really need to know about this "story."

The Jets drafted him because they were confident in his side of things. Whether he was deported or imprisoned, the result would be the same: he wouldn't be eligible for football. Obviously, the Jets think he'll be available for football.

I'm also not concerned about the thoughts of "one rival GM." Most of them are on short leashes, often just one decent mistake away from being fired. If Tannenbaum can survive Gholston, he can pretty much survive anything. He has job stability, and with it he can take calculated risks. Getting the 36th player on your board late in the third is a smart risk.

And Rich Cimini can continue on his quest to be the Albert Goldman of sports writing.

Still mad about The Lives of John Lennon, I see. Good comparison, though.

If I had known he was a illegal I would have hired him to do my yard work months ago blink.gif

Hes not an ILLEGAL, hes a permanent resident and he wont be deported unless he ****s up again and gets another felony.

Plus he's not a Mexican, only Mexicans do yard work!

Hes not an ILLEGAL, hes a permanent resident and he wont be deported unless he ****s up again and gets another felony.

Plus he's not a Mexican, only Mexicans do yard work!

Guatemalans...I think there r more in S Fla then there are in Guatemala itself.

Archived