fish want Orton

slats

Dolphins interested in acquiring Kyle Orton

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 26, 2011, 8:48 AM EDT

k-ortonpoint.jpg?w=215

Getty Images

So now we’re clear that the Broncos are making quarterback Kyle Orton very available.

Who will be interested?

In Arizona, Orton would make sense as a backup plan if the Cardinals can’t acquire Kevin Kolb. In Miami, Orton may be the first option.

“The first Dolphins call [Tuesday] will be to Denver to survey the cost for Orton,” according to Dave Hyde of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

It’s a great fit. The Dolphins need a legitimate alternative to Chad Henne, and Orton fits the bill. His salary looks big for 2011 ($9M), but it could be negotiated down.

The question is whether Miami is comfortable giving up a mid-round pick for Orton when someone like Vince Young may not cost any draft pick compensation. Hyde makes it sound like Young would be the next option on Miami’s wish list, but their biggest hope is that no one else competes hard for Orton.

If Miami wants to make it happen, we think this a deal they should be able to close.

Orton may be the safest option for any team looking for a QB, and he has a history with Brandon Marshall making him potentially even more appealing to the fish.

If Miami really wants him, I hope there's a lot of interest in his services to keep his trading price and salary high. :)

Wow, Henne has fallen far and fast!

12 months ago there were articles about how he was the most promising young QB and was better than Sanchez and even JiF was riding his jock. Now they Dolphins can't move on fast enough and are talking trading for Orton or signing Vince freakin' Young? :rl:

Wow!

I don't like this at all. Orton is a good QB. Steal for a mid rounder It's hard to believe that that Denver is going with Tebow as a starter. I like the guy as a wildcat kind of guy, but the Starter?

Agreed. Orton has been quite underrated in his career. Dude has played in some really crappy offensive situations and yet a hell of a lot more often than not manages to rack up the wins. He's a massive upgrade from Henne, without question.

I don't like this at all. Orton is a good QB. Steal for a mid rounder It's hard to believe that that Denver is going with Tebow as a starter. I like the guy as a wildcat kind of guy, but the Starter?

Meh, I don't think he'll be that cheap. Other teams are interested in him so the Dolphins will likely pony up more than a mid-rounder. It's gonna take at least a third.

Guest Jpf4671

This can't be true,..Henne is a franchise QB! Bill Parcells said so,.so did Mike Francessa and every Dolphin fan in NY!....hmmmmmmm?

Are you drunk? It'll be a 3, tops.

And based on the Nnamdi thread, a lot of guys here are lying about their feelings on Orton as a quarterback.

No way, dude. He's the only QB available that's worth a damn amd the Broncos know that. No way the fags get orton for less than a 2.

Not really. But he is a first round pick.

To draft a first round QB again you have to first find out if the current one is a bust!

It wasn't John Fox who drafted Tebow in the 1st round. New regimes mean new QB's. Wouldn't be surprised if its Quinn or a potential FA signee who ends up behind center for the Broncos.

It wasn't John Fox who drafted Tebow in the 1st round. New regimes mean new QB's. Wouldn't be surprised if its Quinn or a potential FA signee who ends up behind center for the Broncos.

True. Tebow was not drafted by Fox. But that 1st round pick happened very recently. I would be surprised if Fox told the media that Tebow and Quinn are in competition for the starting job once Orton is traded!

A 3 for a QB who had 3600 yards and a 2:1 TD to INT ratio 2 in a row? Really? What planet are you living on?

The planet that understands that the Broncos painted themselves into the corner with that market. They flushed a first round pick on Tebow and teams know that they can't hold Orton at $9 Million as well as Tebow at his salary.

The planet that understands that the Broncos painted themselves into the corner with that market. They flushed a first round pick on Tebow and teams know that they can't hold Orton at $9 Million as well as Tebow at his salary.

There are enough teams that need QB's that they won't have to give Orton away.

Tebow was the 25th pick of the draft last year. His contract is not an issue.

Archived