More fricken unsubstantiated rumors - CBS: Jets sign Aso

Jetsfan80

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a blog on NFL.COM

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/07/29/asomugha-will-choose-between-jets-cowboys/

Prized free-agent cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha will choose between signing with the New York Jets and Dallas Cowboys, NFL Network insider Michael Lombardi reported Friday.

The New York Jets have been consistently linked to Asomugha, while the Dallas Cowboys are making a late push to add him to their secondary.

The Cowboys would have to release cornerback Terence Newman in order to fit Asomugha under their salary cap, Lombardi reported.

Lombardi said he expects that Asomugha will make a decision by the end of the day Friday.

As recently as Thursday, it was believed that the Texans were the leading candidate to land the services of Asomugha, the three-time Pro Bowl corner who has spent his entire eight-year career with the Oakland Raiders. Asomugha was also connected to the San Francisco 49ers, but on Friday, Lombardi reports, the team began telling people it was no longer involved.

But in a story that is changing by the hour, Asomugha has determined that the Cowboys and Jets give him the best chance to win immediately — something he did not experience often in Oakland — while receiving one of the top cornerback contracts in the league.

Lombardi reported Thursday that Asomugha, widely considered the top player available in free agency, could land a contract in the range of $12 million to $14 million per season from the Texans. That would have made Asomugha the NFL’s highest-paid cornerback, eclipsing the average annual salary of the four-year, $46 million deal that Darrelle Revis signed with the Jets last offseason.

It is widely believed that the Jets would not be able to compete with that kind of offer, but Lombardi suggested that some Jets players — likely offensive linemen Nick Mangold and D’Brickashaw Ferguson and possibly even Revis — could restructure their contracts to make room for Asomugha to join the team.

Other than their pursuit of Asomugha, the Jets have been relatively quiet in a frenzied free-agency period. The Jets been telling free agents they can’t do anything else until Asomugha makes a decision, Lombardi reports.

Earlier this week, Jets passer Mark Sanchez said he was willing to restructure his contract to help the Jets re-sign some of their big-name free agents. On Wednesday, the team agreed to terms with wideout Santonio Holmes on a five-year deal that averages slightly less than $10 million per season with $24 million guaranteed.

My gut says that the Cowboys are going to swoop in and sign him and have to cut half their team to make room...

Likewise, Jerry Jones will get what he wants.

I just hope it happens soon, so that we can still get cro and braylon back, and maybe see what else is out there.

Sorry... I work... for a real company doing a real job and don't sit plastered to a desk waiting for Jets news to drop while trying to sell an anchor to make numbers...

I've managed to sell about a quarter million dollars worth of pipes, valves and fittings while plastered to this desk waiting for Jets news to drop, I'll have you know.

PS. For the 900th time: I DON'T SELL ******* ANCHORS!!!

I've managed to sell about a quarter million dollars worth of pipes, valves and fittings while plastered to this desk waiting for Jets news to drop, I'll have you know.

of course not, you're not a cannibal after all

This thread makes no sense to me. If Dallas is telling people to assemble at the dome wouldn't that lean towards him going there? I hate this!

Yeah, it's fun not having a dog in this fight. I hope it doesn't happen, but if it does I'm not going to be pissed or anything.. w/e

Yes, yes you do. At that rate you would sell 125 million a year in pipes? Where is the mansion in South Beach, the Porsche Carrera GT3 and the vacation house in Tahoe? ;P If you are selling that much your company needs to up the compensation ante.

Sorry... I work... for a real company doing a real job and don't sit plastered to a desk waiting for Jets news to drop while trying to sell an anchor to make numbers...

Oh... that totally justifies it. Hey guys, he's got a real job, so when he's wrong or reporting things 2 hours after the fact its because of that. Not because he failed to do any research or read 2 minutes of an article before posting. :rolleyes:

The rest of us have fake jobs and therefor are better at researching ahead of time. :lol:

Archived