Breaking: Eric Smith

F.Chowds

TheJetsStream Manish Mehta

Breaking: Jets have agreed to terms on three-year deal for safety Eric Smith, per source. #nyj

Eric Smith has agreed to terms on a three-year deal with the Jets, according a person with knowledge of the deal. That person requested anonymity because the Jets have not yet announced the move.

Retaining Smith is good news for the secondary, just hours after the Jets lost out in the Nnamdi Asomugha sweepstakes. Entering free agency, the team had just one true safety under contract, Jim Leonhard, who is coming off a season-ending tibia fracture.

Smith is a smart player as well as a special-teams ace. Special-teams coordinator Mike Westhoff reached out to him several times since the free-agency negotiating period opened and must be relieved he kept at least one of the Smiths, after losing Brad Smith to the Bills Thursday.

Smith, a third-round draft pick for the Jets in 2006, drew interest from a handful of other teams but ultimately wanted to return to the Jets. The team made its first offer earlier today

$800k signing bonus. I hope that's enough for him to be able to move out of his parents' house and still somehow afford a Planet Fitness membership.

Details on Jets Eric Smith's three-year contract that includes an $800K signing bonus nydn.us/ohl8Xv

Smith is a smart player as well as a special-teams ace. Special-teams coordinator Mike Westhoff reached out to him several times since the free-agency negotiating period opened and must be relieved he kept at least one of the Smiths, after losing Brad Smith to the Bills Thursday.

I wonder if there is any truth to this statement. I think Ihedigbo was much better on specials. Smith is trustworthy, but I have to think there are better options for special teams.

$800k signing bonus. I hope that's enough for him to be able to move out of his parents' house and still somehow afford a Planet Fitness membership.

Sometimes T0m, you're worth it.

I just going to go with Yaaaay Eric Smith's back :sarcasm:....It's why I something something.

Then who?

If we don't upgrade our CB situation there has to be a decent safety available. I am OK with Smith as a starter if we solidify our CB situation.

Smith is a decent rotational guy/backup who can hit hard and play well on special teams so I don't mind having him on the roster at all.

So the Jets choose not to bring back their best coverage safety in Pool, and then sign an admittedly good special teamer, but complete dog crap safety to $2.5 million a year deal? Absolutely idiotic. That contract better be HEAVILY incentive driven or completely back loaded, because there's no way in the world he deserves a contract close to that much. Dude is the definition of a vet minimum player.

If we don't upgrade our CB situation there has to be a decent safety available. I am OK with Smith as a starter if we solidify our CB situation.

Smith is a decent rotational guy/backup who can hit hard and play well on special teams so I don't mind having him on the roster at all.

While those things may be true, you forgot to mention he can't cover to save his life and falls on his face more than any player in the NFL. Smith as a starter would be a disaster.

While those things may be true, you forgot to mention he can't cover to save his life and falls on his face more than any player in the NFL. Smith as a starter would be a disaster.

Which is surprising because you'd figure Rex would know that. He's basically a linebacker in a safety's body and we used him that way in the playoff games. But come on, he can't start for us. That's a disaster.

Thats hysterical. I wish i had a link to that article.

So the Jets choose not to bring back their best coverage safety in Pool, and then sign an admittedly good special teamer, but complete dog crap safety to $2.5 million a year deal? Absolutely idiotic. That contract better be HEAVILY incentive driven or completely back loaded, because there's no way in the world he deserves a contract close to that much. Dude is the definition of a vet minimum player.

Brodney is one hit away from being out of the nfl.

I dont think the jets were very high on him.

Archived