Jets aren't bringing back Braylon Edwards

F.Chowds

This is the reality of the situation. We have to learn to read between the lines, and this is all I'm seeing. Its too bad, but he's a knucklehead. So, ultimately I trust the front office.

I wonder if Colts fans sit and freak out day in and day out that their team hasn't done anything on the 4th day of free agency... because the Colts almost never make a splash, and seem to be a pretty good team...

Helps when you have Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne, and two very good pass-rushing DEs.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Helps when you have Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne, and two very good pass-rushing DEs.

Yep, all developed through the draft... what I'm saying is, sometimes as a good team, you don't have to run out on the first day of FA and spend like you are rebuilding... look at the teams that are making all these signings... Seattle, Jacksonville, Houston... aside from Aso, all the other FA's have been swallowed up by sh*tty teams, willing to overpay them.

Jets are doing the right thing IMO.

They went hard after the best players available. Came out 1/2 and now they are filling out the roster. I knew it wouldn't be pretty with all the FAs we had, but patience is the key... the time to build and improve this team is far from over.

I still want to know WTF are going to do with all this cap space that we cleared?

Simple. Were gonna overpay Cro at $10M per. Which is why yesterday was a disaster. We lose Aso and compund that by being "forced" to give Cro $10M per year. Its a nightmare.

And by the way, after Cro gets his $10M there aint a whole lotta cap space left for someone like Braylon.

Simple. Were gonna overpay Cro at $10M per. Which is why yesterday was a disaster. We lose Aso and compund that by being "forced" to give Cro $10M per year. Its a nightmare.

And by the way, after Cro gets his $10M there aint a whole lotta cap space left for someone like Braylon.

Braylon ain't coming back and Cromartie and his agent will be told to pack salt and good luck you ain't worth as much as you THINK you are

Yep, all developed through the draft... what I'm saying is, sometimes as a good team, you don't have to run out on the first day of FA and spend like you are rebuilding... look at the teams that are making all these signings... Seattle, Jacksonville, Houston... aside from Aso, all the other FA's have been swallowed up by sh*tty teams, willing to overpay them.

Jets are doing the right thing IMO.

They went hard after the best players available. Came out 1/2 and now they are filling out the roster. I knew it wouldn't be pretty with all the FAs we had, but patience is the key... the time to build and improve this team is far from over.

Thanks Primate. You just talked me off the ledge. I literally feel better after reading this post. I was CRUSHED last night. I didn't even watch NFL total access :D

Good stuff. thanks.

Sofla... you think Mike T and Rex are pissed at Aso/Cro's agent right now and are telling to to go F himself? I have to think there's at least a little animosity there. no?

My guess is the Jets are now thinking long rather than short term and dont want to tie up big future cap space in Edwards, who is more or less a number 2 looking to be paid like a low level number 1. If the Jets believe fully in Sanchez its the right financial move because you dont want to tie up too much space in non elite players.

Which would be all well and good if there was any indication whatsoever that the Jets had a legitimate backup plan in line. Meaning, not James Jones who was only even mediocre with one of the best QBs in the league throwing him in the ball, and would likely get a contract far more than he's worth. A day ago the Jets were going to piss away every last cent they had available to them in order to sign a guy to cover #2 WRs, and now they apparently don't even think they need a #2 WR of their own, or a safety, or a number of other positions as they suddenly apparently "can't afford" anyone.

Thanks Primate. You just talked me off the ledge. I literally feel better after reading this post. I was CRUSHED last night. I didn't even watch NFL total access :D

Good stuff. thanks.

Sofla... you think Mike T and Rex are pissed at Aso/Cro's agent right now and are telling to to go F himself? I have to think there's at least a little animosity there. no?

I do-I think they (Cro, Aso and the agent) were playing a bigger game than just Nnamdi and the Jets and were looking at a bigger picture-"we can hold the Jets hostage after Aso goes to Philly" I don't think the Jets like the way they are being used and will not put up with it

This is the reality of the situation. We have to learn to read between the lines, and this is all I'm seeing. Its too bad, but he's a knucklehead. So, ultimately I trust the front office.

I wonder if Colts fans sit and freak out day in and day out that their team hasn't done anything on the 4th day of free agency... because the Colts almost never make a splash, and seem to be a pretty good team...

Don't use the Colts they have the best player in the league at the most important position.

Don't use the Colts they have the best player in the league at the most important position.

Not going to debate the merit of using the Colts as an example. The point is, the Same Old Jets mentality was to fix everything through over-priced free agents... too much time away from football maybe, but people have forgotten these are NOT the SOJs.

Losing out on Asomugha doesn't make them the SOJs... bumping the offer up to something absurd that lands us in salary cap hell, with a non-competitive team, for the next decade would have been SOJ.

Which would be all well and good if there was any indication whatsoever that the Jets had a legitimate backup plan in line. Meaning, not James Jones who was only even mediocre with one of the best QBs in the league throwing him in the ball, and would likely get a contract far more than he's worth. A day ago the Jets were going to piss away every last cent they had available to them in order to sign a guy to cover #2 WRs, and now they apparently don't even think they need a #2 WR of their own, or a safety, or a number of other positions as they suddenly apparently "can't afford" anyone.

I think if Sanchez is the goods they dont need a very good 2. Maybe they want to see how good Sanchez is before they commit. I like Edwards alot, but if you overpay for him (and the Jets put themselves in the position of having to overpay for him) and Sanchez turns out to be kind of bleh then its going to be really tough to improve when Edwards is guaranteed to be a big money earner through 2013. Maybe the team feels that next year they will know if they need another elite guy at the position and can make a run at somebody, maybe Vincent Jackson. I just hope we dont get Randy Moss for a year. I could see the Jets interested in Owens, if he is healthy enough to play, and Burress. Plax can fill the passing duties of Edwards nicely and would probably be on a 2 year deal.

We should have seen the writing on the wall with Edwards last year. I said all along that he was the one guy that it made all the sense in the world to sign to a nice frontloaded contract and use the uncapped year. He had no 30% rule limitations or anything else. The fact that the Jets did not do it shows they didnt think he should be a long term guy here.

Hopefully they use their cap room to now fill the team with some solid veterans. Right now the team is top heavy with a bunch of scrubs on the bench. They can at least address that.

Not going to debate the merit of using the Colts as an example. The point is, the Same Old Jets mentality was to fix everything through over-priced free agents... too much time away from football maybe, but people have forgotten these are NOT the SOJs.

Losing out on Asomugha doesn't make them the SOJs... bumping the offer up to something absurd that lands us in salary cap hell, with a non-competitive team, for the next decade would have been SOJ.

While I agree with this, there is a middle ground between signing big name FAs to solve all of the Jets problems, and standing there with their thumbs up their asses and not addressing major holes on the team while the Jets FAs get signed away and the team gets progressively worse. I'm still holding out hope there's things in the works we aren't hearing about, which is a very realistic possibility, but right now I think there's much better reasons to be annoyed than the lack of Asomugha signing.

I have to tell you I find so much stuff going on with the Jets really confusing and I can see that a lot of people on here do to. The Braylon situation especially. You hear absolutely ZERO chatter on him from other teams, barely any coverage on TV asking where this guy is going, nobody asking the questions we all have like "WHY are the Jets not wenting to pay this guy?" or "Why is apparently nobody willing to pay this guy?" or "How did we have 12 mil to throw at Aso and now have nothing to pay Bray?"

And the most annoying part of all is that it doesnt seem to be strange to anybody else except Jet fans...wtf is going on with him?

Wouldn't signing aso been SOJ?

I think if Sanchez is the goods they dont need a very good 2. Maybe they want to see how good Sanchez is before they commit. I like Edwards alot, but if you overpay for him (and the Jets put themselves in the position of having to overpay for him) and Sanchez turns out to be kind of bleh then its going to be really tough to improve when Edwards is guaranteed to be a big money earner through 2013. Maybe the team feels that next year they will know if they need another elite guy at the position and can make a run at somebody, maybe Vincent Jackson. I just hope we dont get Randy Moss for a year. I could see the Jets interested in Owens, if he is healthy enough to play, and Burress. Plax can fill the passing duties of Edwards nicely and would probably be on a 2 year deal.

We should have seen the writing on the wall with Edwards last year. I said all along that he was the one guy that it made all the sense in the world to sign to a nice frontloaded contract and use the uncapped year. He had no 30% rule limitations or anything else. The fact that the Jets did not do it shows they didnt think he should be a long term guy here.

Hopefully they use their cap room to now fill the team with some solid veterans. Right now the team is top heavy with a bunch of scrubs on the bench. They can at least address that.

While I can understand not wanting to throw down huge money for a #2 and thinking you don't need a top option there, there's no doubt that no matter how good your QB, you're limiting his ability to succeed by not giving him quality options. Aaron Rodgers is a hell of a lot better QB than Sanchez, and James Jones was only his #3 WR on that team, and they didn't see him worth retaining. That doesn't exactly sound like the kind of guy who's going to be a big help to a struggling young QB with accuracy issues to me, does it to you? I'm not saying it needs to be Edwards or any other high-priced option, but they need to be giving this kid some legitimate help, and not another one of these other teams backup who was only even made to look decent (at best) by an elite QB.

While I agree with this, there is a middle ground between signing big name FAs to solve all of the Jets problems, and standing there with their thumbs up their asses and not addressing major holes on the team while the Jets FAs get signed away and the team gets progressively worse. I'm still holding out hope there's things in the works we aren't hearing about, which is a very realistic possibility, but right now I think there's much better reasons to be annoyed than the lack of Asomugha signing.

There is a middle ground for everything - I agree, and didn't mean to convey it as a polarizing statement. I'm just trying to be positive, but these miserable babies want to argue everything towards self-pity and sky is falling.

I have to tell you I find so much stuff going on with the Jets really confusing and I can see that a lot of people on here do to. The Braylon situation especially. You hear absolutely ZERO chatter on him from other teams, barely any coverage on TV asking where this guy is going, nobody asking the questions we all have like "WHY are the Jets not wenting to pay this guy?" or "Why is apparently nobody willing to pay this guy?" or "How did we have 12 mil to throw at Aso and now have nothing to pay Bray?"

And the most annoying part of all is that it doesnt seem to be strange to anybody else except Jet fans...wtf is going on with him?

something is definitely up there bro-we haven't heard of ONE TEAM going after Braylon-why is that-what is he into these days?

something is definitely up there bro-we haven't heard of ONE TEAM going after Braylon-why is that-what is he into these days?

And why does that not seem strange to any media outlets or any of our beat writers?! So bizarre.

Wouldn't signing aso been SOJ?

I thought that was what I insinuated, so yes. It pretty much was a SOJ decision to come into free agency and go after the guy the fans wanted... two CB's making a combined $20-30 million per season would have been a joke. The Madden roster would have been nice, but the more I've thought about it... the more I cringe.

Allocating that much money to 2 players on one side of the ball, essentially means you have to have a ton of draft picks and hit gold on all of them to sustain long-term success as an organization.

The right thing to do is pair Revis with Cro, or someone like Richard Marshall, a physical #2 CB who doesn't suck. Add a situational pass rusher, a safety and another veteran CB.

Then focus on the offense, which has been the achilles heel of this team.

we're all talking about it on Twitter and Tom Shane said the same thing and made that comparion saying maybe the Jets think he doesn't live and die football-just like Rhodes.

People forget these are human beings here, with biases.. trying to build the best team they can..... rex is obsessed with football, and is going to prefer guys that are similiar. Braylon doesn't seem to be that type of guy... now of course he'll make exceptions for freaks liek Mevi$ $louch, but BE, like KR, aren't near that category of player... so they go

I thought that was what I insinuated, so yes. It pretty much was a SOJ decision to come into free agency and go after the guy the fans wanted... two CB's making a combined $20-30 million per season would have been a joke. The Madden roster would have been nice, but the more I've thought about it... the more I cringe.

Allocating that much money to 2 players on one side of the ball, essentially means you have to have a ton of draft picks and hit gold on all of them to sustain long-term success as an organization.

The right thing to do is pair Revis with Cro, or someone like Richard Marshall, a physical #2 CB who doesn't suck. Add a situational pass rusher, a safety and another veteran CB.

Then focus on the offense, which has been the achilles heel of this team.

My apologies, somewhere along the way I came to think you were in the "omg want teh aso" camp

People forget these are human beings here, with biases.. trying to build the best team they can..... rex is obsessed with football, and is going to prefer guys that are similiar. Braylon doesn't seem to be that type of guy... now of course he'll make exceptions for freaks liek Mevi$ $louch, but BE, like KR, aren't near that category of player... so they go

Ooohhh,,, man he invoked the Kerry Rhodes!!!! Hahahah... great point though. :)

The main problem I have is Tanny let Rex force him to go all in on Aso and just figured since Tanny said I can get the money I can recruit him and get it done, he didn't and now 5 days into this camp starting tomorrow there is no Slot WR no veteran DE no FS no Nickel back or Dime back signed a pissed off ST's coach a pissed off DB coach and an agent laughing at the Jets cause he used them and now thinks he can hold them hostage for Cromartie,

Bad job putting eggs in 1 basket, and anyone who thinks a rookie will help this year is not paying attention.

Thats an assumption tho, you could be right but if you think back is that what it looked like?

He seemed like an awesome teammate last year, he worked out at Sanchez's Jets West camp all summer, openly stated he would give Jets home town discount, and obviousely loves being here. If theres a reason theyre not going after him then fine but i just want to know what the reason is and it seems like thats what alot of us want to know.

My apologies, somewhere along the way I came to think you were in the "omg want teh aso" camp

I don't do the whole in one camp, in another camp... it would be stupid NOT to want Aso... but it would be stupid to argue that it wouldn't be an epic fail from the standpoint of building a team.

Sure I wanted him.... for $7-8 million per year.

No deal?

Oh well. We can win without him. Its always my wish that the Jets build this team to be competitive EVERY year.

Thats an assumption tho, you could be right but if you think back is that what it looked like?

He seemed like an awesome teammate last year, he worked out at Sanchez's Jets West camp all summer, openly stated he would give Jets home town discount, and obviousely loves being here. If theres a reason theyre not going after him then fine but i just want to know what the reason is and it seems like thats what alot of us want to know.

Jets would have ZERO class to make that reason public right now. Give the guy a shot to latch on elsewhere... "can't afford him" is a good enough reason for now.

Jets would have ZERO class to make that reason public right now. Give the guy a shot to latch on elsewhere... "can't afford him" is a good enough reason for now.

Ok fair enough, I wouldnt want them to do that to him either except whatever it is it seems others already know because nobody seems to want him.

I dunno, guys a career underperformer and did get caught DWI at some obsecene hour during the season... but yes, just a guess on my part..

Ok fair enough, I wouldnt want them to do that to him either except whatever it is it seems others already know because nobody seems to want him.

Lets stop for a minute and recognize that this "something" that is wrong with him is purely frustrated fan-driven hypothesis.

It'll all work out. They might be negotiating with him now for crying out loud, we have no clue.

Lets stop for a minute and recognize that this "something" that is wrong with him is purely frustrated fan-driven hypothesis.

It'll all work out. They might be negotiating with him now for crying out loud, we have no clue.

True! Guess I just wanna seem them sign someone else once the Aso thing fell through but itll all work out.

"can't afford him" is a good enough reason for now.

I don't see why there has to be another reason. He wants more than he's worth. What he wants minus the hometown discount he's supposedly willing to take is more than he's worth. It's not like the Jets aren't willing to take risks. If there's some other issue it just comes off his bottom line. Which is still more than he's worth.

The main problem I have is Tanny let Rex force him to go all in on Aso and just figured since Tanny said I can get the money I can recruit him and get it done, he didn't and now 5 days into this camp starting tomorrow there is no Slot WR no veteran DE no FS no Nickel back or Dime back signed a pissed off ST's coach a pissed off DB coach and an agent laughing at the Jets cause he used them and now thinks he can hold them hostage for Cromartie,

Bad job putting eggs in 1 basket, and anyone who thinks a rookie will help this year is not paying attention.

I'm not going to defend them on that one because I really didn't want Asomugha anyway-I though we would have been just fine with Cro and Braylon but now I'm not so sure I want either one back unless the price is right. we have a lot of holes to fill-TE, CB, WR DL

Archived