Tanne says expect more moves, especially trades

bLguerriero1

rotoworld makes a good point:

The Jets have explored the "possibility of trading Cotchery," in large part to utilize his cap space for other moves. Even if they're not admitting it publicly, Cotchery's offseason back surgery is also a factor. Unless the right price is a mid-to-late round pick, we don't envision Cotchery drawing much interest as a health risk coming off a disappointing season.

still would piss me off if we just ship him out for a 5th

What does this mean?

Tell you what, either way, free agency has been good so far. According to basically all pundits, we were going to get screwed during this offseason. Instead, we really haven't... we're approximately the same team with some new rookies and more experience for all the guys that were here last year.

Harris: stays

Cro: stays

Holmes: stays

Buress: replaces Edwards, shorter term but practically a wash

Strickland: replaces Coleman, that's a wash

Hunter, Turner re-signed: practically a wash on the O-line again here, would prefer Woody but Hunter isn't too bad of a downgrade and Ducasse will have a chance

Anything we do from here on in is just gravy. Tanny has done a great job of keeping the team from falling apart in what was bound to be a tough offseason.

What does this mean?

Tell you what, either way, free agency has been good so far. According to basically all pundits, we were going to get screwed during this offseason. Instead, we really haven't... we're approximately the same team with some new rookies and more experience for all the guys that were here last year.

Harris: stays

Cro: stays

Holmes: stays

Buress: replaces Edwards, shorter term but practically a wash

Strickland: replaces Coleman, that's a wash

Hunter, Turner re-signed: practically a wash on the O-line again here, would prefer Woody but Hunter isn't too bad of a downgrade and Ducasse will have a chance

Anything we do from here on in is just gravy. Tanny has done a great job of keeping the team from falling apart in what was bound to be a tough offseason.

I essentially agree with this with 2 key exceptions:

1. Burress has a long way to go to prove his replacement of Edwards is a wash. I think he has the potential to be a very good pick-up for the Jets, but we're nowhere close to that being proven true.

2. Safety - The Jets safety situation was crap to start the year last year with a healthy Leonhard and Smith buried as a backup behind Pool, who was the Jets best coverage safety last year. Now Leonhard is coming off of an injury and Smith is penciled in as the starter. That's horrid.

I essentially agree with this with 2 key exceptions:

1. Burress has a long way to go to prove his replacement of Edwards is a wash. I think he has the potential to be a very good pick-up for the Jets, but we're nowhere close to that being proven true.

2. Safety - The Jets safety situation was crap to start the year last year with a healthy Leonhard and Smith buried as a backup behind Pool, who was the Jets best coverage safety last year. Now Leonhard is coming off of an injury and Smith is penciled in as the starter. That's horrid.

Probably see a lot of Lowery at safety, and Smith playing a bunch of LB/S hybrid, which gives Rex a lot of creative possibilities.

we need a de and depth on the oline. there are still plenty of decent fa's. i don't know why we need to trade cotch.

By DE, do you mean a pass rusher? Because between the draft and Pitoitua coming back, I think the DL is probably the one area of the team that's the most solid.

I'm all for more moves, especially with Tanny's track record of finding gems. I just don't want to see our most reliable WR taken away from Sanchez. Otherwise we're one puff away from having a 34 year old criminal, 2 years removed from football as our #1.

Heard Tanny on 1050 they asked him how they were with the cap? His awnser very comfortable where we are right now, if an opportunity comes to add (I interpret that as a BIg splash player) we will be ready and able. Everyone wants to know where all the money went, it's still there if needed in terms of more renegotiating, Harris' franchise number, Sanchez and Thomas can still restructure (if they did already they would not be able to practice, so don't say Sanchez did YET, cause he didn't) so there is more money available for another big name if one comes available that the Jets really like, probably not till Thursday thou after the league year starts, when teams need to be cap compliant, and restructuring does not result in not being able to practice.

Archived