As of 4PM on Tuesday, 8/4

slats

$8.9M in cap space.

Not sure if that includes releasing Cotch, or if the Jets have added Mason - but that's still plenty of room to maneuver.

Tannenbaum said to expect more moves, citing especially trades, so I don't think he's close to done just yet. A number of teams are still well over the cap [Raiders ($15,246,000); Steelers ($8,597,000); Lions ($7,793,000); Cowboys ($6,671,000); and Texans ($3,358,000)], and have to get under by 1PM tomorrow. Potential trade partners?

$8.9M in cap space.

Not sure if that includes releasing Cotch, or if the Jets have added Mason - but that's still plenty of room to maneuver.

Tannenbaum said to expect more moves, citing especially trades, so I don't think he's close to done just yet. A number of teams are still well over the cap [Raiders ($15,246,000); Steelers ($8,597,000); Lions ($7,793,000); Cowboys ($6,671,000); and Texans ($3,358,000)], and have to get under by 1PM tomorrow. Potential trade partners?

Well maybe we can pay Mason 8 mil per and take care of that . :(

Slats if we were going to do something in the WR dept why get Mason ? I do agree some teams will have to dump but do you see anything coming out of those teams mentioned ?

I think the answer is, "because Rex loves him."

I was just starting to look at those teams' cap situations now. Unfortunately, not every team has a fan like Jason putting it all in one quality spot. I'm sure most of them will do simple restructures. Cutting players can be cheaper than trading them, trades usually bring all the dead money forward into the current year (not sure what the dates are). But that could mean some interesting bodies on the FA market tomorrow, too.

Im positive something is up. I say we acquire Taylor Mays and a WR or 2 other than Mason.

I HOPE something is up. Just sucks losing the three guys we lost in BE, Cotch and B Smith. If Ellis hapens to sign with the pats I seriously may puke. My stomach sank when I read that. Just give the guy 2 mil because he sacked brady 3x in the playoffs for Gods sakes!!!

That guy is the hard hitting FS everyone wants. Eric Smith and Brodney Pool suck thats what everyone says.

Who exactly is your everyone?

Jets have Pool and Smith to hit people, hopefully they get Ihedigbo back, too. They need a coverage safety, not another LB back there.

I think the answer is, "because Rex loves him."

I was just starting to look at those teams' cap situations now. Unfortunately, not every team has a fan like Jason putting it all in one quality spot. I'm sure most of them will do simple restructures. Cutting players can be cheaper than trading them, trades usually bring all the dead money forward into the current year (not sure what the dates are). But that could mean some interesting bodies on the FA market tomorrow, too.

We can probably expect something quick based on info GM's discuss with one another. I hope something is in the works

$8.9M in cap space.

money in the bank.you gotta beleive tanny has a trick or 2 up his sleeve

$8.9M in cap space.

That number does not include Cotchery (1.8M in savings) or signing Mason (which I dont think happened yet, but will cost the team 525K) so the Jets are at 10.2M assuming they use the 3M in credits available to the team.

That number does not include Cotchery (1.8M in savings) or signing Mason (which I dont think happened yet, but will cost the team 525K) so the Jets are at 10.2M assuming they use the 3M in credits available to the team.

Thats alot of $, something is in the works.

You think Mason will sign here for the vet minimum? I'm doubtful on that.

You act like it's a given that they should borrow against next year's cap. Why?

You act like it's a given that they should borrow against next year's cap. Why?

Its not borrowing against next years cap. Thats the big misconception that everyone has about it because of the way the media reports everything (similar to Claytons nonsense about teams each having to spend 99% of the cap in cash every year). The reallocation of the borrowed money doesnt occur until 2014 at the earliest and the teams gets 4 years to decide how to reallocate the money. Assume the Jets use 3M this year. They could add 750K in 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017. They could add 3M in 2017. They could add 1M in 2014, 2015, and 2017. Its chump change because they have so many years to plan for it and then make it hit in a year they have tons of cap room. Plus all those figures being released are based on a 123+ cap because the league is operating under the assumption that everyone is taking it since it makes almost no sense not to.

Its not borrowing against next years cap. Thats the big misconception that everyone has about it because of the way the media reports everything (similar to Claytons nonsense about teams each having to spend 99% of the cap in cash every year). The reallocation of the borrowed money doesnt occur until 2014 at the earliest and the teams gets 4 years to decide how to reallocate the money. Assume the Jets use 3M this year. They could add 750K in 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017. They could add 3M in 2017. They could add 1M in 2014, 2015, and 2017. Its chump change because they have so many years to plan for it and then make it hit in a year they have tons of cap room. Plus all those figures being released are based on a 123+ cap because the league is operating under the assumption that everyone is taking it since it makes almost no sense not to.

Thanks for filling me in. Good stuff.

10m in space with 3m more to use? What the hell do the jets have up their sleeve.

I feel like I'm going to wake up and osi and desean are jets.

That'll happen if you sleep for 7 years, and give Osi and DeSean the opportunity to age and complete prison sentences. Jets only sign old convicts.

My hope is that Tanny and Rex have targeted a difference maker who they plan on acquiring . Otherwise, the moves they've made over the last few days will make even less sense than they do now.

Archived