Shaun Ellis a Patriot

JonEJet

Holy Mackerel!

You know what? Good for him, man. Any hard feelings I might've had are all gone. That's a nice end of career payment for him. He'd've been foolish to turn it down.

Completely agree. Nice payday for Ellis and at that amount, guy is clearly going to get his shot to start for that team. Hate it had to be for that team of all teams, but he wasn't going to get anything close to that offer anywhere else, so it was the right thing for him to do. Honestly, part of me now actually wonders if it actually cost the Pats a little more to get Ellis than it otherwise would have because it was the Pats, because they certainly FAAAAR outbid the Jets.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DE is mainly used to stop the run they aren't pass rushers in the 3-4. If BB wants to actually get success out of Haynesworth it means he's planing on playing considerable 4-3

Seymour had 8 sacks twice as a 3 - 4 DE http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SeymRi00.htm

Ellis had 8 sacks in Mangini's final year and he ran the exact same D as NE http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/ElliSh00.htm

Mike Wright has 5.5 sacks as a DE in the 3 - 4 http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WrigMi20.htm

3 - 4 DEs run stuff and pass rush.

August 8, 2011 12:50 PM 10 comments

Shaun Ellis' deal with Patriots: $4-$5 million

BY Manish Mehta

Shaun Ellis had about five million reasons to sign with the Patriots. The Daily News has learned that Ellis agreed to a one-year deal believed to be worth between $4-$5 million dollars. New England’s offer was about five times more than the Jets’ veteran minimum offer of $910,000, according to a source.

Shortly after Mark Sanchez likened the Jets defense to the 1985 Chicago Bears’ unit (“It’s like they practiced every day during the lockout,” he said), Rex Ryan put a stop to it:

“No,” Ryan said. “This team’s not there.’’

Ryan says Plaxico Burress will participate in individual drills in practice later today. He may see a bit more time in team drills.

Matt Kroul has been moved from defensive line to offensive line, prompting Bart Scott to call Kroul the "Fat Faneca."

Ryan calls undrafted free agent linebacker Nick Bellore the biggest surprise on defense thus far.

Ryan says Gang Green will go live with goalline drills on Thursday. Real hitting.

Gang Green is thinking about selling a bobblehead of outspoken special teams coach Mike Westhoff. Unfortunately, the bobblehead doesn’t come with accompanying sound. The organization wants 288 pre-orders by the end of Wednesday before committing to the project.

For more Jets news, follow Manish Mehta on Twitter at http://Twitter.com/TheJetsStream

Reports out now that he's going to cost NE between 4 and 5 million-thanks for using up all the remaining Pats cap Shaun

I'm starting to think that the cap is a joke being played on the fans. Seems like every team has a way around it. And, I hear the Pats aren't done.

And, I hear the Pats aren't done.

And why wouldn't they? They're only trying to keep up with the Sawx in assembling the greatest team in the history of the world.

This is the year they actually do go undefeated, and the Pats rule the world again

And why wouldn't they? They're only trying to keep up with the Sawx in assembling the greatest team in the history of the world.

This is the year they actually do go undefeated, and the Pats rule the world again

Hey, I follow the Pats secretary on Twitter. She's some southern belle turned admin who has loose lips (settle down, Captain) and everything she posts - example "big signing coming today, be patient, it's happening. Hope I don't get in trouble again teeheeheee" comes true. EVERY TIME.

BTW, the reverse jinx does not work when your words oooze with sarcasm. I wrote the book on the reverse jinx, pal. :)

The guy on NFL Live just said something about Ellis never really buying into what Rex and NY have been trying to do here, so they really didn't want him around the new young guys. Guess that's why they offered vet min. so he would have no choice but to choose elsewhere.

The guy on NFL Live just said something about Ellis never really buying into what Rex and NY have been trying to do here, so they really didn't want him around the new young guys. Guess that's why they offered vet min. so he would have no choice but to choose elsewhere.

That's a bunch of pr spin being spoon fed to the media. And most people eat it up. What a crock. I've seen this done so many times by so many differennt organizations. Jets, Sox, Cowboys, Redskins, Flyers, Sabres, Rockies...well, you get the idea.

So, Ellis wasn't into buying what? Winning? Or being a loudmouth? C'mon. What Ellis wasn't buying is taking a vet min and mentoring a young guy to take his place.

That's a bunch of pr spin being spoon fed to the media. And most people eat it up. What a crock. I've seen this done so many times by so many differennt organizations. Jets, Sox, Cowboys, Redskins, Flyers, Sabres, Rockies...well, you get the idea.

So, Ellis wasn't into buying what? Winning? Or being a loudmouth? C'mon. What Ellis wasn't buying is taking a vet min and mentoring a young guy to take his place.

The offer itself may be all the proof you need as to whether this is true. Why not make a real offer if they actually wanted him? This way they attempted to get a steal at the veteran's minimum or get rid of him. The lowball deal certainly corroborates this story.

I agree.

My first thought: Bullsh*t

My second though: still Bullsh*t

The offer itself may be all the proof you need as to whether this is true. Why not make a real offer if they actually wanted him? This way they attempted to get a steal at the veteran's minimum or get rid of him. The lowball deal certainly corroborates this story.

Or the size of the offer made my the Pats demonstrates how much it took to get him to leave the Jets and their vet minimum offer.

I don't buy for a second that Ellis didn't buy into what Rex was doing here on defense. I do think the Jets were essentially done with him, though, with the DE position on the team being strong with or without him.

Oh, a Pats fan says it and everybody agrees. But I say it and it's all "F.U. Shane, you negative a$$hole." I see where I rank.

Hate you all.

maybe this was posted, but ross tucker said he was at jets camp last week, asked around why the jets haven't made a bigger offer and was told;

ellis is a lousy practice player

he never bought into rex

the jets didn't want him around the pups they saw him as a bad influence

so the jets made a veteran minimum offer, basically a polit good bye, and I heard the pats offer was 4 million

Archived