Shaun Ellis a Patriot

JonEJet

Ellis should have been re-signed. The D-Line is 1 injury away from disaster. Kroul-Gilbert instead of Ellis. WTF

The Patriots, Colts, Packers are one injury away from having starting QBs of Mallet, Orlovsky and Flynn. Pretty easy to play that game.

Agreed... rookies with no time to learn the system starting on the d-line? We are going to get run all over!

Good thing Devito and Pouha have neither never played a snap in the NFL or know the system. Oh wait, that's right, they're some of the best 34 dlineman in the league. It's like you actually think Rex is throwing in the towel on his defense and team by giving up Ellis.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Young, old, either way you need depth. I like some of these moves but we have lost a ton of depth.

How did we lose depth by not re-signing Ellis?? We replaced him with Wilkerson and also drafted Ellis. This is in addition to having Pito coming back healthy, with gilbert getting another year under his belt. If anything, we have more quality depth than last year.

How can a Player, who has been apart of the jets-pats rivalry for so many years, just jump ship like this. I mean it was shaun ellis who sealed that game against the pats with a sack.

Its his job and they offered money, you would do the same.

Shaun Ellis is dead to me. He's put in 11 years of blood sweat and tears for the Jets, he would have went down as my all-time favorite Jet behind only Curtis Martin, the man was the heart and soul of our defensive line dating back to them John Abraham days; but this is like your brother sleeping with your wife... He's dead to me. Some say "it's only business", but my favorite Jet signing with the NE Patriots is personal from a fans perspective. I wish the worst upon Ellis on the football field, I'd love to see him have a non-productive season and I'd love to see the Jets run the football down his throat for 4 quarters strong. I'm not about to cry over spilt milk, the man is 34 years old and has been on a steady decline for 3 years now. Yes, he had a monster game against the Patriots during the playoffs, but that was the best game Ellis has played in YEARS. 60 tackles and 8 sacks in 08, 53 tackles and 6.5 sacks in 09, 36 tackles and 4.5 sacks last year. If that trend continues? The Patriots will be lucky to see 20 tackles and 2 sacks out of Shaun Ellis this up coming season. His best football is behind him, it's all down hill for the big cat from here on out, and to be honest with you? I CAN'T WAIT to see Ellis struggle! Jet fans have seen the best out of Shaun Ellis, I'm thankful to say that NE fans can never and will never say the same. Rant over, I've already moved on. I gave my Shaun Ellis jersey to a homeless man at McDonalds by the name of Smitty and I've marked Sunday, Oct 9 2011 on my calendar. I've washed my hands clean.

If playing for the Patriots is so bad, then why is Curtis Martin your favorite Jet?

I think it's worth pointing out that most of the cheesesdicks lauding the Jets for dumping Ellis and Cotchery were also the same ones shredding Revis for holding out.

There is literally nothing about this post that makes any sense whatsoever, especially considering none of the three situations are even slightly comparable in any imaginable way. That is, of course with the exception of you fabricating reasons to constantly hate on the Jets GM.

There is literally nothing about this post that makes any sense whatsoever, especially considering none of the three situations are even slightly comparable in any imaginable way. That is, of course with the exception of you fabricating reasons to constantly hate on the Jets GM.

Oh, you bitter and angry cheesedick. The point is, Revis got trashed for disloyalty and acting outside the team concept. Get paid as much as you can when you can, because as soon as you lose a step you're out the f*cking door with a propaganda-filled article by Manish Mehta trashing you for your greed half-written and waiting for you in his Word file. And, of course, two-faced fans who who suck your cock when you're on the roster and mother**** you the second you get cut. But we don't know anybody like that, do we?

Lost a step = old players.

The Jets offered both Ellis and Mason the veteran minimums, because they are old players. Mason took the deal, Ellis did not. My point is that the Jets have historically been the ones who over-pay for veteran Pats players, and in this case, we see the Jets being out-bid by the Patriots for an old Jets player.

Its a nice change of pace... we get younger... and the Patriots commit the same fan-foul by signing Ellis, as the Jets did when they signed Jason Taylor.

+1 The team is moving on and building for the future. Ellis did show flashes and came up huge against the Pats, but he showed a whole lot more flashes of being done throughout the season. He doesn't want to take the minimum salary and be more of a role player/mentor, fine. He is delusional, but it is his call. Far from being irreplaceable at this stage of his career. Screw him -- I'm with the "he is dead" camp. Hope he tears up his knee soon.

Jets offered Ellis the vet minimum to be a backup, because they don't need an old player, who has lost a step, to start for them.

Pats offered Ellis more money than the Jets, to bring Ellis in as a starter.

I'm not sure how this makes the Jets FO look bad? All through the 2000's the Jets were the ones scooping up players when the Pats were done with them and already gotten their best years out of them. The tide has turned here.

A one year deal isnt exactly a huge risk.

Ill bet Ellis wont be used an every down player or play in every quarter. He will be used as a situational DE with the younger NE DLs backing him up. That should keep him from getting worn down as the season grinds on.

The starting front in the NE 3 - 4 is menacing compared to last season: Haynesworth - Wilfork - Ellis.

A one year deal isnt exactly a huge risk.

Ill bet Ellis wont be used an every down player or play in every quarter. He will be used as a situational DE with the younger NE DLs backing him up. That should keep him from getting worn down as the season grinds on.

The starting front in the NE 3 - 4 is menacing compared to last season: Haynesworth - Wilfork - Ellis.

Haynesworth won't do sh*t in the 3-4, I have a feeling NE is going to show a lot more 4-3 fronts.

Oh, you bitter and angry cheesedick. The point is, Revis got trashed for disloyalty and acting outside the team concept. Get paid as much as you can when you can, because as soon as you lose a step you're out the f*cking door with a propaganda-filled article by Manish Mehta trashing you for your greed half-written and waiting for you in his Word file. And, of course, two-faced fans who who suck your cock when you're on the roster and mother**** you the second you get cut. But we don't know anybody like that, do we?

Thanks for proving me point, in that you find it necessary to twist the facts in order to try to find your agenda. Hate to break it to you, but as far as I've seen you seem to be the only person in the world who was this ridiculous notion that there has been even the slightest bet of negativity expressed about Cotchery by the team or the media. Let's recap what really happened with each player:

Revis holds out his rookie year, eventually comes to an agreement on a 6-year deal. 3 years into his 6-year deal, Revis holds out again, refusing to honor the contract he signed. These are the facts.

Cotchery comes in like every other rookie, signs his contract and goes about his business. In 2006 Cotchery cracks the starting lineup and has a breakout year. After one year as a starter the Jets award Cotchery with a new 5-year contract extension after that season. Cotchery continues to play under that deal until a week ago, when the Jets granted Cotchery his release, at his request.

Shaun Ellis comes in as a first round pick and did his whole contract thing then. After a rough go for a little bit thanks to the idiocy of Herm Edwards, Ellis becomes a Pro Bowl, 10 sack type DE for the Jets. The Jets agree with him to a 6-year contract extension during the 2004 season. Ellis played out the entirety of that contract, becoming a free agent just a few weeks ago. As a free agent, the Jets made him an offer at the veteran minimum to return as a backup. Ellis instead took a better offer from the Patriots, which included the potential to start.

Everything listed above is purely fact based. There's no opinions involved in that, it's simply the events that occurred. Yet looking at it, I fail to see where exactly the Jets were such horribly terrible people in all of this. That said, I also don't see any issue with anything that Cotchery or Ellis did either. So again, there's really no relevancy whatsoever to someone having an issue with one player refusing to honor their contract, and whether or not that person feels it was the correct decisions for the Jets to grant a player his requested release or not re-signing a free agent. That is except for the fact that you take issue with anyone who fails to take the stance that casts Tannenbaum in a poor light in every single one of those instances, regardless if there's actually any particularly logical reason to do so.

I continue to be perplexed as to why you care so much about these articles, particularly considering they don't exist.

Shark, jumped.

You know when I jumped the shark? When I bet Tom Shane that if the Jets didn't win the Super Bowl I'd donate $20 to a children's charity, then when I lost I didn't pay up.

Oh wait, I didn't do that. You did.

Not exactly how it went down. I said id donate to the jimmy v foundation and I did. I've actually donated alot more than 20$ to it and spent multiple hours fundraising for it, so if you want to take a personal problem and look like an a$$hole publically, well done.

I think its hilarious how much Patriots players are celebrating over this move. It reminds me of when many Jet fans were applauding the return of Ty Law in the middle of the 2008 season lol. My anger over this is not primarily about losing Ellis' play, but about Ellis being audacious enough to just walk away from the franchise after 11 years to go to a hated rival.

You can't rip Revis for milking the Jets for every penny he can while he has leverage while at the same time nodding in approval at the front office for unceremoniously dumping veterans who don't have leverage over what turned out to be a few hundred K. Like I said, if you don't get paid while you can, you will never get paid. No one, and rightfully so, gets paid for sentiment. I don't see how that's ripping Tannenbaum at all. A little over-sensitive much?

As for the Mehta swipe, here are the tweets from him right after Cotchery and Ellis were dumped. Please note that it was only Mehta who offered these up first, despite every reporter on the Jets beat being on campus at the same time. Like Herm used Cannizaro as his personal propagandist, so has Tannenbaum employed Mehta.

Devastating blind-sides? Maybe not. But they're dirty little justifications trying to paint the poor Jets front office as being backed into a corner by two respected vets. It makes them look small. If you want to say that the Jets, from a PR standpoint, have ever been successful at looking anything other than small, I don't know what to tell you. This is just an extension of that.

Wow, it took you all of a half of a sentence to completely throw away the facts and get back to your completely subjective, slanted bullsh*t. By all means, granting a player his requested release and another players contract simply expiring TOTALLY qualify as "unceremoniously dumping". That's not even an opinion anymore, that's actually just factually inaccurate. But hey, I get it, you're simply incapable of looking at these things from any other perspective than the one that paints the picture you've already decided on in your mind. Sorry if it's so hurtful to you that anyone dare not agree with you on it. I find it laughable you try to accuse me of being over-sensitive, while you try to preach to the masses about how nobody should dare to hold a certain set of opinions that are not justified in the eyes of the all-knowing T0mShane. The fact that those tweets are the evidence you use to support your opinion of Tanny being the evil administer of smear campaigns makes it crystal clear that you've gotten past the point of being capable of even the slightest bit of objectivity when it comes to the Jets GM. That's your problem to get over, but it sure as hell doesn't make everyone else who doesn't share it wrong.

Wow, it took you all of a half of a sentence to completely throw away the facts and get back to your completely subjective, slanted bullsh*t. By all means, granting a player his requested release and another players contract simply expiring TOTALLY qualify as "unceremoniously dumping". That's not even an opinion anymore, that's actually just factually inaccurate. But hey, I get it, you're simply incapable of looking at these things from any other perspective than the one that paints the picture you've already decided on in your mind. Sorry if it's so hurtful to you that anyone dare not agree with you on it. I find it laughable you try to accuse me of being over-sensitive, while you try to preach to the masses about how nobody should dare to hold a certain set of opinions that are not justified in the eyes of the all-knowing T0mShane. The fact that those tweets are the evidence you use to support your opinion of Tanny being the evil administer of smear campaigns makes it crystal clear that you've gotten past the point of being capable of even the slightest bit of objectivity when it comes to the Jets GM. That's your problem to get over, but it sure as hell doesn't make everyone else who doesn't share it wrong.

Fair enough, bro. You have your perception of what happened and I have mine. I don't begrudge you seeing things from the pro-organization view and you were the one who flipped your wig coming after me about the Revis comment. You think I'm wrong or alarmist, that's cool. Thank you for your rabid objectivity.

But they're dirty little justifications trying to paint the poor Jets front office as being backed into a corner by two respected vets.

No, they're perfectly reasonable and amply corroborated justifications that rightly paint the Jets front office as engaging in customary processes of personnel arbitrage.

Check out what Rex Ryan said about Ellis joining the hated Patriots...

Rex on Ellis signing w/Pats: "The fact that he chose them ... There's no chance I wish him well. I wish him health".

Which pretty much means, that Ellis will need luck to stay healthy, especially with Mangold or maybe even John Conner having a bounty out for Ellis come Sunday, Oct 9th and Sunday, Nov 13th 2011.

TheJetsStream Manish Mehta

#Patriots deal for Shaun Ellis: 1 year. Believed to be worth between $4 and $5M, per source. It was 5 times more than #Jets offer.

No wonder he went there. They actually offered him a lot of money.

Jesus. And Pats fans are trying to tell us Ellis is going to be a "situational" DE? Yeah f***ing right. The people bashing the front office for letting Ellis go can quiet down now. That's WAY overpaying a 34-year old, even for 1 year.

Jesus. And Pats fans are trying to tell us Ellis is going to be a "situational" DE? Yeah f***ing right. The people bashing the front office for letting Ellis go can quiet down now. That's WAY overpaying a 34-year old, even for 1 year.

Agreed that's overpaying. I still think the veteran minimum was a slap in the face. They offer him a decent contract and he doesn't go looking elsewhere.

I predicted that Ellis would be a Pat when we didn't re-sign him. I'm surprised J-Co isn't also up there. Both were Pats killers. Cotchery always made a clutch catch or two against them and Shaun Ellis has always been the one Jet who seemed to be able to get to Brady on any kind of a consistent basis.

TheJetsStream Manish Mehta

#Patriots deal for Shaun Ellis: 1 year. Believed to be worth between $4 and $5M, per source. It was 5 times more than #Jets offer.

No wonder he went there. They actually offered him a lot of money.

Holy Mackerel!

You know what? Good for him, man. Any hard feelings I might've had are all gone. That's a nice end of career payment for him. He'd've been foolish to turn it down.

Archived