Ravens pass on Cotchery

Jetsfan80

I guess Cotchery just has more leadership than teams know how to handle?

http://www.masnsports.com/dan_kolko/2011/08/wide-receiver-rumblings.html

Wide receiver rumblings

August 11, 2011 8:16 AM

by Dan Kolko

The list of free agent wide receivers that the Ravens have not signed, for one reason or another, is growing.

We can now add Jerricho Cotchery and Steve Smith to the group.

After bringing Cotchery in for a visit and a physical on Tuesday, the Ravens have decided to pass on the former Jets wide receiver, according to The Sun. While Cotchery was the best healthy option remaining on the free agent market, the Ravens never truly seemed that interested in him, and they've decided to go in another direction instead of throwing some of their limited cap space at the 30-year-old.

Cotchery caught 41 passes for 433 yards and two touchdowns for the Jets last season.

Smith, who spent the last four seasons with the Giants, inked a deal with (who else?) the Eagles yesterday. Coming off microfracture surgery on his knee, Smith never drew much interest from the Ravens. The USC product will likely not be ready for the start of the season, but he gives the Eagles another big-name free agent signing to add to their "Dream Team".

So, with no experienced wide receivers behind Anquan Boldin on their depth chart, why are the Ravens letting all these free agent wideouts head in other directions?

Trust me when I say that the Ravens really like what they've seen from rookies Torrey Smith and Tandon Doss thus far in camp.

It should say enough that when talking to Derrick Mason about possibly returning, the Ravens told him that he wouldn't be the team's No. 2 wide receiver, and according to a source close to Mason, the veteran receiver was worried he might not find much playing time in Baltimore this season.

That's how much faith the Ravens have in their rookie tandem at this point.

Smith has shown his speed and physicality so far, and Doss is shifty and apparently has vacuums for hands, as he's caught everything thrown in his direction.

The Ravens will let things ride with Boldin and the two rookies for now, and they'll see how things shake out in preseason action. If one or both of the rookies proves that he isn't ready for the bright lights of the NFL just yet, a veteran free agent can be signed at a later time once cuts are made around the league.

In other wide receiver news, if you happen to be living in the New England area and are looking for a new roommate, Chad Ochocinco might be able to help you out.

Hey, if you want to find someone who will keep you entertained and won't have a problem paying his rent on time, you could probably do a lot worse than Ocho.

I guess Cotchery just has more leadership than teams know how to handle?

http://www.masnsports.com/dan_kolko/2011/08/wide-receiver-rumblings.html

Wide receiver rumblings

August 11, 2011 8:16 AM

by Dan Kolko

The list of free agent wide receivers that the Ravens have not signed, for one reason or another, is growing.

We can now add Jerricho Cotchery and Steve Smith to the group.

After bringing Cotchery in for a visit and a physical on Tuesday, the Ravens have decided to pass on the former Jets wide receiver, according to The Sun. While Cotchery was the best healthy option remaining on the free agent market, the Ravens never truly seemed that interested in him, and they've decided to go in another direction instead of throwing some of their limited cap space at the 30-year-old.

Cotchery caught 41 passes for 433 yards and two touchdowns for the Jets last season.

Smith, who spent the last four seasons with the Giants, inked a deal with (who else?) the Eagles yesterday. Coming off microfracture surgery on his knee, Smith never drew much interest from the Ravens. The USC product will likely not be ready for the start of the season, but he gives the Eagles another big-name free agent signing to add to their "Dream Team".

So, with no experienced wide receivers behind Anquan Boldin on their depth chart, why are the Ravens letting all these free agent wideouts head in other directions?

Trust me when I say that the Ravens really like what they've seen from rookies Torrey Smith and Tandon Doss thus far in camp.

It should say enough that when talking to Derrick Mason about possibly returning, the Ravens told him that he wouldn't be the team's No. 2 wide receiver, and according to a source close to Mason, the veteran receiver was worried he might not find much playing time in Baltimore this season.

That's how much faith the Ravens have in their rookie tandem at this point.

Smith has shown his speed and physicality so far, and Doss is shifty and apparently has vacuums for hands, as he's caught everything thrown in his direction.

The Ravens will let things ride with Boldin and the two rookies for now, and they'll see how things shake out in preseason action. If one or both of the rookies proves that he isn't ready for the bright lights of the NFL just yet, a veteran free agent can be signed at a later time once cuts are made around the league.

In other wide receiver news, if you happen to be living in the New England area and are looking for a new roommate, Chad Ochocinco might be able to help you out.

Hey, if you want to find someone who will keep you entertained and won't have a problem paying his rent on time, you could probably do a lot worse than Ocho.

I kinda feel bad for Cotch. I'm sure their are other teams out there that might give him what he wants like the Panthers, Browns, or Lions.

LMFAO! This effin' a$$-hat insists on being released and cannot get the Ravens to bite? He'll be lucky to land at UPS, which is much closer to his real status in life. Good riddance.

Sad ending to a player who showed up and did his job here. Could it be hes demanding way too much money?

LMFAO! This effin' a$$-hat insists on being released and cannot get the Ravens to bite? He'll be lucky to land at UPS, which is much closer to his real status in life. Good riddance.

All I have to say is WOW, may god have mercy on your soul

Seriously? Did he bang your sister and forgot to call?

Sad ending to a player who showed up and did his job here. Could it be hes demanding way too much money?

Probably. J Co has a lot of heart but had a ruff year last yeat.

All I have to say is WOW, may god have mercy on your soul

Exactly. Kinda an over the top dick reaction.

I feel bad that Jerricho overestimated his value and has yet to find a team, but not too bad since he is a multi-millionaire and I am currently semi-employed.

He really should've had his agent tampering in the background before asking to be released. Or maybe he asked to be released because he saw the writing on the wall, anyway.

Tough for him to be on the market this year, considering that last season was his worst as a pro.

He really should've had his agent tampering in the background before asking to be released. Or maybe he asked to be released because he saw the writing on the wall, anyway.

Tough for him to be on the market this year, considering that last season was his worst as a pro.

Yep. Or he/agent badly misread the market.

He should have just taken the paycut with the Jets.

Pretty ironic offseason moves. Some fans killing Jets for letting JCo go and signing Mason. But Mason is healthy and practicing, but JCO is still without a team and may not be able to pass a physical.

Yep. Or he/agent badly misread the market.

He should have just taken the paycut with the Jets.

Pretty ironic offseason moves. Some fans killing Jets for letting JCo go and signing Mason. But Mason is healthy and practicing, but JCO is still without a team and may not be able to pass a physical.

My guess is it was more than just the potential paycut, but also the fact that he knew on the Jets he would never put up the kind of numbers to get another deal, particularly as he got pushed further and further down the depth chart. He probably figured he'd be better off signing a one-year deal somewhere else where he can start or at least be a significant target and having the kind of season to earn himself a long-term deal for next year.

My guess is it was more than just the potential paycut, but also the fact that he knew on the Jets he would never put up the kind of numbers to get another deal, particularly as he got pushed further and further down the depth chart. He probably figured he'd be better off signing a one-year deal somewhere else where he can start or at least be a significant target and having the kind of season to earn himself a long-term deal for next year.

That's my thinking as well. He was setting himself for his next, and last, big payday. Unfortunately, his options are dwindling. He needs to find a pass-first team quickly to maximize his value. I thought the Chargers, but I haven't heard anything like that.

Tannenbaum got killed for letting Smith, Edwards, Ellis, and Cotch go, even though each player's original demands far exceeded what the Jets could pay reasonably.

• Edwards - Signs with 49ers fro peanuts and is currently hurt, not practicing.
  • Ellis - on PUP.
  • Cotch - Unsigned with seemingly no interest ... could be the back injury.

We'll see about Smith and just what kind of impact he has on Buffalo. My opinion is that it will be nowhere near the success he had with the Jets.

Maybe this Tanny guy isn't so stupid after all, huh?

Jury is still out, but at the current time, you can certainly see what the Jets thinking was.

Archived