No Game of Thrones thread?

T0mShane

Being a dwarf is just a literary device. Tyrion is a classic tragic hero.

I'm not sure the goal is for you to relate to him, as you are suggesting, so much as it is for you to pity him. His character is consumed with trying to earn his father's approval, it's not about being picked on, and not meant to be a bat-signal to every nerd who has ever been bullied to relate to him... it is meant to make your heart break for the character, he is in fact one of the few "good" souls in the story.

It's funny, I was starting to feel that way about Theon, but then Joe inspired me to watch some of the older episodes, and I forgot how much of a sh*t he was because it's been so long. I'm not saying he deserved everything that has happened to him, but **** that guy.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being a dwarf is just a literary device. Tyrion is a classic tragic hero.

I'm not sure the goal is for you to relate to him, as you are suggesting, so much as it is for you to pity him. His character is consumed with trying to earn his father's approval, it's not about being picked on, and not meant to be a bat-signal to every nerd who has ever been bullied to relate to him... it is meant to make your heart break for the character, he is in fact one of the few "good" souls in the story.

Nah, I think it was meant to relate to him. 

I love the show and y'alls commentary. I still need to catch up on this season, I've only watched the first two episodes. Joffrey dying was the best thing ever and I I like Arya and the Hound. Daenyrs (sp) is more me for me in the show than the books but it's been awhile since I read them. Agreed that Rob's storyline is better in the show as of Sansa (she was annoying add hell in the books)

awesome show. really got hooked after binge watching the first three seasons in about a month and a half time period. now im all caught up. dont think its up to par with breaking bad yet (even tho its hard to compare genres), but its freaking great. heres hoping the red viper pulls off the upset against the mountain sunday night. 

That was truly the most uncomfortable 30 seconds watching a TV show/movie I've ever experienced. Traumatising.

Between the context and the brutality it really is bad as it gets. The Mountain screaming his "confession" as he gauged his eyes out was harrowing. **** this.

George R. R. Martin is a sociopath and should be locked up.

**** you George RR Martin. **** you up the goat ass.

I was prepared for it. My buddy told me after I got hooked on the pilot that "every character that I'll probably like will die". LOL

That was truly the most uncomfortable 30 seconds watching a TV show/movie I've ever experienced. Traumatising.

Between the context and the brutality it really is bad as it gets. The Mountain screaming his "confession" as he gauged his eyes out was harrowing. **** this.

George R. R. Martin is a sociopath and should be locked up.

I put it in the same class as the episode of Breaking Bad where the 2 Mexican assassin dudes came after Hank in the parking lot. I was standing in front of my TV yelling for him to finish him off, the same way I yelled at Hank to find it in himself to survive that shootout, or the same way I used to yell at the Jets before I realized I like having sex on Sundays.

And yes, absolute sociopath... which is what makes it fun. :)

Speaking of magic, Stanis' witch is one of the hottest women in the history of TV right? Aside from the whole giving birth to dark spirits thing, the red hair totally does it for me.

I love red hair (it's the color I have), but there is something about her face that doesn't seem quite right. Not sure if it's too narrow or what, can't say for sure. 

Well, it's settled, I'm installing a giant anchor as my home security system.

That was awesome.

Speaking of magic, Stanis' witch is one of the hottest women in the history of TV right? Aside from the whole giving birth to dark spirits thing, the red hair totally does it for me.

the perfect breasts totally do it for me... 

I have little time for grown up programming as I am usually seated next to an 8 year old or 13 year old when the TV is on, so I begrudgingly avoided this show until today, and holy sh*t

watched episode 1 today, looks like I have a new late night habit !!

time for bed kiddies !

LOL.........that's what i told my gal.

I was a huge fan of Tyrion through 3 seasons, but I think this is the season where Dinklage firmly established him as one of the all-time classic TV characters and one of the greatest acting jobs in the history of anything. It's not even up for debate anymore. His descent this season into the finale last night (won't say what happened out of respect to Larz) was very methodical and well played out. Going into last night I thought that Martin and Co had drawn out the story too much, but after watching him make his way through that dark corridor and the tone of his voice while speaking, I just don't think any of that would have had the same effect had it not been done over such a long period of time. I can't say any of what happened last night was surprising, but that was 4 seasons in the making right there and Dinklage pulled it off in fantastic fashion.

Archived