IF YOU HAD TO PICK BETWEEN THE TWO

Ken Schroy

This is the problem right now...some fans are so angry with Rex that they can't take a step back and acknowledge the fact that he has had a great deal of success when given the talent to do so.  Lots of coaches in this league have done less than Rex has managed to do and they've done it with a lot more talent.  Idzik has done close to nothing as a GM.  Rex has outperformed him by leaps and bounds.  I'm ready to move on from Rex, but as a lot of people have said, if he goes, Idzik should go.  If you're only going to keep one, why in the world who you keep the one who has accomplished  less? 

in the context of "keep one" it would mean hiring another GM who has to keep the coach, and that's not smart.  the "rex made cake out of crap" argument was ok at 8-8, but I just can't forgive all the contunuing mistakes

late sloppy substitutions that result in wasted TO's or 12 men penalties

almost never having 3 TO's at the end of the game.  that literally can cost you the game

almost always giving up the score at the end of the half.  it's bizarre

being way too loyal to players and not benching them when they deserve it

the geno was late for a meeting and had no consequence thing still pisses me off

he is an innovator in the NFL, can play chess with peyton manning and tom brady and win

but

HC is just not his thing

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not entirely sure that this is clear.

IMHO, Idzik simply isn't qualified to be a GM. The Jets have an unqualified GM because keeping Rex was part of the deal last time, and better candidates chose not to even interview. I agree with sourceworx's posts in this thread. Keeping either one of these guys results in getting lesser candidates at the other position. Keeping an unqualified GM just so he can select from a lesser pool of head coaching candidates is a recipe for disaster.

It may be unfair to Idzik. I understand that point of view. But the Jets need to do what's best for the team, and that's cleaning house.

I mean 4 of our losses against pretty good teams were only by a score. I think after an offseason we can make the jump to winning those games. That was pretty much what I meant, regardless the GM. I think Idzik deserves some praise for that. It's a completely new team, and with a competent quarterback, we can do some damage IMO. 

I agree that not firing both puts us in a bad position for the other. I just still have faith. I don't think keeping Idzik is that detrimental for us, if at all. I guess that's just where our opinions differ.

in the context of "keep one" it would mean hiring another GM who has to keep the coach, and that's not smart.  the "rex made cake out of crap" argument was ok at 8-8, but I just can't forgive all the contunuing mistakes

late sloppy substitutions that result in wasted TO's or 12 men penalties

almost never having 3 TO's at the end of the game.  that literally can cost you the game

almost always giving up the score at the end of the half.  it's bizarre

being way too loyal to players and not benching them when they deserve it

the geno was late for a meeting and had no consequence thing still pisses me off

he is an innovator in the NFL, can play chess with peyton manning and tom brady and win

but

HC is just not his thing

Rex's mistakes are magnified times a million with a 2-8 record.  Some of the best teams in the NFL are more penalized than the Jets, and mister hard ass disciplinarian Jim Harbaugh can't get his players to stop calling TO's early in games.  Rex, like every coach, makes mistakes.  It's when you're losing games that it becomes more about the mistakes than it does the absence of talent.  Don't get me wrong at all, I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but Rex's comments about the starting QB being an organizational decision means we don't really know who made the call on Geno.  If it was Rex, then it's a huge failure on his part.

More on the timeout thing...every single week in almost every single game we see how valuable they are.  Why would a HC just tell his offensive guys he's pulling them for a series if they use a TO before the two min. warning.  I'd take a busted play and a punt to save a TO nine times out of ten.

More on the timeout thing...every single week in almost every single game we see how valuable they are.  Why would a HC just tell his offensive guys he's pulling them for a series if they use a TO before the two min. warning.  I'd take a busted play and a punt to save a TO nine times out of ten.

I say this every time, especially on a 5 yard delay of game penalty

I mean 4 of our losses against pretty good teams were only by a score. I think after an offseason we can make the jump to winning those games. That was pretty much what I meant, regardless the GM. I think Idzik deserves some praise for that. It's a completely new team, and with a competent quarterback, we can do some damage IMO. 

I agree that not firing both puts us in a bad position for the other. I just still have faith. I don't think keeping Idzik is that detrimental for us, if at all. I guess that's just where our opinions differ.

The last two years have been the worst years with Rex as head coach. Both years, the Jets have been terrible with points and turnover differential. The difference last year is that Rex & Co. managed to squeeze out those close games, and this year they're losing them. This team is on a downward trajectory with Idzik buying the groceries. So yes, our opinions do differ. :)

The QB position is a serious concern. The final nail in Tannenbaum's coffin was his handling of the QBs, IMO. Extending Sanchez and trading for Tebow was too much for him to overcome. Two years with Idzik, and the team is still terrible at the position, and not nearly enough has been even attempted to rectify the situation.

Sheldon Richardson has been his only really good draft pick. Imagine what his drafting record would be if he hadn't had a second first round pick that year? This draft was pretty awful. No other way to describe it. Not sure what there is there to have faith in.

Both should be gone. We've gotten zero production from this draft which is unfathomomable at this point.

Rex can't maintain a strong enough staff around him to warrant him being a HC. Rex worked with a good staff surrounding him. Now it's just a disorganized CF.

Repeat the mistake of two years ago??? We cannot keep the HC and let the GM go. 2 years ago we should have cleaned house. We have NOTHING to show for these past two years. NOTHING. SO I would be in favor of cleaning the house of the coaching staff and the GM but if I had to retain one, it would be the GM. You just CANNOT force a new GM to keep the HC again. I don't care what KORN/FERRy Say about it.

LL

Both should be gone. We've gotten zero production from this draft which is unfathomomable at this point.

Rex can't maintain a strong enough staff around him to warrant him being a HC. Rex worked with a good staff surrounding him. Now it's just a disorganized CF.

Repeat the mistake of two years ago??? We cannot keep the HC and let the GM go. 2 years ago we should have cleaned house. We have NOTHING to show for these past two years. NOTHING. SO I would be in favor of cleaning the house of the coaching staff and the GM but if I had to retain one, it would be the GM. You just CANNOT force a new GM to keep the HC again. I don't care what KORN/FERRy Say about it.

LL

I don't think the new GM should be forced to keep Rex.  I think he should be given time to look at the roster, watch game film and talk to, or even re-interview Rex and decide from there.  If he feels like Rex should have won 10-12 games with this team but didn't, then go get the guy who would have....and get some QB's.

This is the problem right now...some fans are so angry with Rex that they can't take a step back and acknowledge the fact that he has had a great deal of success when given the talent to do so. Lots of coaches in this league have done less than Rex has managed to do and they've done it with a lot more talent. Idzik has done close to nothing as a GM. Rex has outperformed him by leaps and bounds. I'm ready to move on from Rex, but as a lot of people have said, if he goes, Idzik should go. If you're only going to keep one, why in the world who you keep the one who has accomplished less?

When is a coach "given" talent? Peyton Manning wasn't walking through that door. A coach has to produce players and, where he can't, find a way to compensate for those spots where he doesn't have an All-Pro. Every team in the league is playing with JAGs at key spots. The difference is, Rex just throws his hands up and puts those JAGs one-on-one with Jordy Nelson because that scheme worked in 2009.

LL

we got plenty of cap space for idzik to squander with his garbage acqusitions

When is a coach "given" talent? Peyton Manning wasn't walking through that door. A coach has to produce players and, where he can't, find a way to compensate for those spots where he doesn't have an All-Pro. Every team in the league is playing with JAGs at key spots. The difference is, Rex just throws his hands up and puts those JAGs one-on-one with Jordy Nelson because that scheme worked in 2009.

This may be true, and we'll find out in time.  I believe that most of his players have seen their ceiling and that they were just never going to be much good.  I'm not going to spend more time arguing who picked the players because neither of us know.  When he leaves, we'll see if Geno is a better player, and a slew of other players. I just hope the next guy is great, and we can get back to talking about the team and not the two guys running the team.

This is nothing but bullsh*t.  Keep spouting it though, some of your ilk will agree and by 2018 it will be accepted as fact.  IMO, your player development angle has some validity, but is spoiled by claiming that he is putting JAGs on Jordy Nelson man-up, as if Rex has not been running multiple coverages, tons of zone, etc.  No, Rex is Kotite putting Vance Joseph man-to-man on Tim Brown.  The guy is working with what he has.  So sorry that he has not developed Philip Adams at an acceptable pace.

This is nothing but bullsh*t.  Keep spouting it though, some of your ilk will agree and by 2018 it will be accepted as fact.  IMO, your player development angle has some validity, but is spoiled by claiming that he is putting JAGs on Jordy Nelson man-up, as if Rex has not been running multiple coverages, tons of zone, etc.  No, Rex is Kotite putting Vance Joseph man-to-man on Tim Brown.  The guy is working with what he has.  So sorry that he has not developed Philip Adams at an acceptable pace.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199510010nyj.htm

oof. I was at that game.

Archived