We Need One of these Backs....

JetBlue

In my personal order of preference. Unless we trade down, should be in 2nd round or later.

1.Todd Gurley may still be there because of injury... 

2. Jay Ajayi 

3. Duke Johnson

4. Melvin Gordon

5. Tevin Coleman

6. Jeremy Langford

7. Ameer Abdullah*

8. Corey Grant

9. David Johnson*

10. Tyler Varga*

* Added those guys to the list after posting this and are not in any order of preference. 

We land any one of these backs and I will be a happy camper.

We do need a running back but it's not that urgent a need.

Does everything have to be an urgent need?  Right now we have Ivory (has been injury prone due to his running style), Powell who is a fine all around back but strikes fear into absolutely no one and Richardson (who I do like) and that's it.  This is one of the deepest running back classes in years and we have an opportunity to draft a quality back in the 2nd, 3rd and perhaps even 4th round who can be an every down back and replace Ivory in a year or two.

Does everything have to be an urgent need? Right now we have Ivory (has been injury prone due to his running style), Powell who is a fine all around back but strikes fear into absolutely no one and Richardson (who I do like) and that's it. This is one of the deepest running back classes in years and we have an opportunity to draft a quality back in the 2nd, 3rd and perhaps even 4th round who can be an every down back and replace Ivory in a year or two.

We need a running back because Ivory gets injured and Powell is just an ok player. That said I'd rather just get a guy like Tyler Varga in the later rounds or Ajayi in the middle rounds.

We need a running back because Ivory gets injured and Powell is just an ok player. That said I'd rather just get a guy like Tyler Varga in the later rounds or Ajayi in the middle rounds.

I doubt Ajayi lasts very long. I see him going late 2nd or early third.  The word has got out about him.  I don't know as much about Varga but I Langford and Grant should be available rounds 3, 4 or later unless there is a run on backs (no pun intended).

Not really; I like him but he has a rep as a fumbler and that scares me...

I spoke about this in another thread.  In the past four years no player in a major conference school touched the football more than Ameer (886).  That dose not include returns.   The more dishes you clean the more you will break.   His fumble totals went down each of the past four seasons as he got better and that's with being the focal point of the defense.  The kid is good and will be a weapon for someone.    Compare him to Warrick Dunn who had a pretty good career. 

In my opinion there is no way he is ranked any lower than #4 from the rb group this year.

I spoke about this in another thread.  In the past four years no player in a major conference school touched the football more than Ameer (886).  That dose not include returns.   The more dishes you clean the more you will break.   His fumble totals went down each of the past four seasons as he got better and that's with being the focal point of the defense.  The kid is good and will be a weapon for someone.    Compare him to Warrick Dunn who had a pretty good career. 

In my opinion there is no way he is ranked any lower than #4 from the rb group this year.

Fair enough.

I doubt Ajayi lasts very long. I see him going late 2nd or early third. The word has got out about him. I don't know as much about Varga but I Langford and Grant should be available rounds 3, 4 or later unless there is a run on backs (no pun intended).

Varga is a Richie Anderson clone who dominated the senior bowl and will be there for us in round 7. He can play Rb and FB

I know I am bias, huge Canes fan, yes, more misery. Yet would love to see Duke Johnson in Green and White. The kid speed is scary and he kills defenders in the open field. He has great hands and catches the ball as well as any wide receiver. He will make an immediate impact wherever he goes.

As far as I'm concerned our options are this:

1st -- if we're talking a back in the top half of the first, it better be Gurley.

2nd/Trade -- trade up to get Gordon on the back end of round 1

nobody I like enough to take at #37. Don't think Coleman does enough after contact.

3rd/4th -- David Johnson or David Cobb

In my personal order of preference. Unless we trade down, should be in 2nd round or later.

2. Jay Ajayi 

3. Duke Johnson

4. Melvin Gordon

5. Tevin Coleman

6. Jeremy Langford

7. Ameer Abdullah*

8. Corey Grant

9. David Johnson*

10. Tyler Varga*

* Added those guys to the list after posting this and are not in any order of preference. 

Ty Montgomery is an out of the box RB prospect.  To quote Matt Miller, Montgomery is "a receiver who isn't really a receiver but more of a return man hidden in a running back's body".  At Stanford, Montgomery has been used primarily and wrongly as a WR and part time RB and Wildcat QB while being a terrific punt and kick returner.  I think a smart GM is going to draft him and make him a full time RB not unlike what the JAX did with Denard Robinson a couple years ago.  Note Robinson's conversion paid some pretty big dividends this past year; he appears headed for a breakout season next year.  Montgomery is even a better candidate for conversion as he has the size (6-0 220) and has played the position.  With his WR background, build and open field elusiveness and speed, Montgomery has the makings of an explosive every down back provided he develops as a blocker.  At the very least, you'd have a third down back that can get you chunk yards when you get him the ball in space.  Considering he can be had on day 3, he presents an intriguing low risk high reward type pick at RB.

Ty Montgomery is an out of the box RB prospect.  To quote Matt Miller, Montgomery is "a receiver who isn't really a receiver but more of a return man hidden in a running back's body".  At Stanford, Montgomery has been used primarily and wrongly as a WR and part time RB and Wildcat QB while being a terrific punt and kick returner.  I think a smart GM is going to draft him and make him a full time RB not unlike what the JAX did with Denard Robinson a couple years ago.  Note Robinson's conversion paid some pretty big dividends this past year; he appears headed for a breakout season next year.  Montgomery is even a better candidate for conversion as he has the size (6-0 220) and has played the position.  With his WR background, build and open field elusiveness and speed, Montgomery the makings of an explosive every down back provided he develops as a blocker.  At the very least, you'd have a third down back that can get you chunk yards when you get him the ball in space.  Considering he can be had on day 3, he presents an intriguing low risk high reward type pick at RB.

He might be worth a look as a running back. 

gailey likes speed, i think we'll go duke.

i thought abdullah was super impressive in college, could be a lesean mccoy type. doesn't have blazing speed but he more than makes up for it with his quick feet and change of direction.

I would be okay with either but my preference is Jay Ajayi. Outside of Gurley he is the most complete back in this draft imho. 

• 2 weeks later...

I would be okay with either but my preference is Jay Ajayi. Outside of Gurley he is the most complete back in this draft imho. 

Yeah, i love Ajayi. He is fun to watch. Only knocks on him are his upright running style and his ball-carrying. He is a bit reckless and fumble-prone. Those flaws are fixable though.

I doubt anyone is sleeping on Ajayi, his footage clearly stands out. He will be a sneaky late 1st rd pick. Imagine him behind that Dallas o-line...

Dude, you seriously need to get back in tight with Gordon if you're throwing Ajayayaji's name around like he's a more complete back. Watch their tape back to back. Gordon could stop halfway through a 40 yard TD to stick his pee-pee in Ajayi's butt, and still make it to the endzone. 

2. Jay Ajayi 

3. Duke Johnson

4. Melvin Gordon

5. Tevin Coleman

6. Jeremy Langford

7. Ameer Abdullah*

8. Corey Grant

9. David Johnson*

10. Tyler Varga*

Highlighted the ones who I would love to see on our roster, Gurley is just a monster but obviously has a risk to picking him, if it were me I would take the chance on him in a trade down situation or if we got super lucky and he fell to round 2. Coleman is a bit slow but he is big and strong, he was also pretty successful as the only offensive threat on his team. Abdulla I think would be a decent compliment to Ivory as he is a bit quicker with decent hands to catch the ball but he does have some fumbling problems to work out, I think he would be a good fit in Chans system.  My biggest concern with RB is everyone wants the fast guy who can catch the ball and I think our most success in recent history came from LT and Greene. LT was able to tire out a defense and then Greene who I personally never liked was actually able to do alright running through the middle of a tired defense.

Dude, you seriously need to get back in tight with Gordon if you're throwing Ajayayaji's name around like he's a more complete back. Watch their tape back to back. Gordon could stop halfway through a 40 yard TD to stick his pee-pee in Ajayi's butt, and still make it to the endzone. 

Seriously did you have go there?Lol, I think Ajayi is a better receiver out of the backfield; hence more of a complete back.  I also seriously doubt Gordon makes out of the first round now, but if he did, and was available at 37, I would all for taking him.   

Seriously did you have go there?Lol, I think Ajayi is a better receiver out of the backfield; hence more of a complete back. I also seriously doubt Gordon makes out of the first round now, but if he did, and was available at 37, I would all for taking him.

I hear ya. I was being silly. Gordon could circles around him but you're right. He's gone by DET in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We may finally have a GM who doesn't out-think himself - who actually has a sound plan for the whole draft.

The strengths of this draft line up with our needs perfectly IF, we go:

Round 1: OLB

Round 2: WR

Round 3: RB

There will be left over studs at each and every one of our draft slots at these positions.

We may finally have a GM who doesn't out-think himself - who actually has a sound plan for the whole draft.

The strengths of this draft line up with our needs perfectly IF, we go:

Round 1: OLB

Round 2: WR

Round 3: RB

There will be left over studs at each and every one of our draft slots at these positions.

Exactly! 

Looks like I might lose my bet with Paradis, will have to clear the cob webs off my cheque book and pry it open.

Have a look:

Todd Gurley - RB - Player

Yahoo! Sports' Charles Robinson reports the "word on the street" is Georgia RB Todd Gurley will be a top-10 pick.

Specifically, Robinson expects Gurley to be picked in the 6-10 range. The Jets and Falcons at Nos. 6 and 8, respectively, would seem to be the most logical fits in that range, as ESPN's Todd McShay's most-recent mock draft released on Wednesday has the Jets taking Gurley at No. 6. Gurley reportedly received "two thumbs up" at his medical recheck in Indianapolis, adding more fuel to Gurley's already piping-hot draft stock. He's a lock to come off the board on Day 1.

Even I'm a little surprised he's now a top 10 selection... but then again, that's sort of the extreme version of what i was thinking all a long, in that Gurley a year from now has the potential to be the best RB in the NFL... he's worth overlooking the immediate limitation.

Archived