"..3 Potential Landing spots for colin kaepernick "... yup, we're one of them ~ ~ ~ Article dated March 9, 2015

kelly

Almost 50 years as a franchise with no SB appearances. Do you really think that Geno can develop as a QB? The evidence shows that Kap is already developed as an NFL QB.

If he is on the block as rumors have it, he won't come with a high cost. The primary place the Jets don't threaten defenses is at QB. Kap dramatically changes that equation in favor of the Jets.

Go get him Mac

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost 50 years as a franchise with no SB appearances. Do you really think that Geno can develop as a QB? The evidence shows that Kap is already developed as an NFL QB.

If he is on the block as rumors have it, he won't come with a high cost. The primary place the Jets don't threaten defenses is at QB. Kap dramatically changes that equation in favor of the Jets.

Go get him Mac

This is where we differ.

That's your point, and you're welcome to it. My point is developing a QB , not paying the bill for someone's mistake.  Kap's contract is a problem when compared to his ability as an NFL QB.

Is he a better QB than Geno Smith today ?   I have no idea . He used what he had to the best of his ability and it got him where he is. Great for him and those who believe in him.

I don't, just like I don't believe in Paying Russell Wilson like he's Joe Montana.

Kaepernick's contract isn't really that bad.  

Whether we are talking about Sanchez, Kaepernick or Wilson, the question is did these QB's take their teams to the respective big games or did they mostly go along for the ride.  Neither Kap nor Wilson have demonstrated the ability to put the team on their back and are more the beneficiaries of being in the right place at the right time.  

That's what I thought.  When the 49er's initially annouced the $$$ there was a lot of talk about it being too fat a contract.  Then, when more details were revealed, the cost of cutting him loose after year 1 was not such a big deal.  I forget the specifics but this was the gist of it.

THIS should tell you something about Kap's real value, or lack thereof, if the 49er's are trying to pawn him off on another team.  QB 3 card monte.

I am not completely against the suggested move (considering our likely '15 starter) but no way would I give up a lot, and certainly not Mo who at the very least is valuable currency going forward.

Fitz is mediocre and Geno is terrible.  But at least they're cheap.

Saying "Our QB situation sucks, get anyone else please!" is an easy way to set your franchise back several years.  Want Russell Wilson?  Of course.  For 2-3 first round picks and an extension paying him $20M plus per?  NO.  Want Kaep?  Sure.  For $15.3M (2015) and $16.8M (2016)?  NO.

It's ok to go with a stopgap route until a better option comes available.  It's not an excuse to mortgage your franchise's future just to get your instant gratification.  Especially since, in Kaep's case, he's most definitely not a franchise saver.  He had one of the best coaches in the league and talent all around him in San Fran, and still couldn't get further than the Jets did with Mark Sanchez.  And his play has digressed.  No thanks.

The best option right now is to stick with what we have at QB and wait until next offseason to reevaluate what we want to do.  By then, Brees and/or Rivers might be available for a lot less than we'd have to give up to get Wilson or Kaep.  Not to mention, the 2016 rookie QB class might be significantly better than the 2015 class.  And we also should do our due diligence on Bryce Petty's development.

Saying "Our QB situation sucks, get anyone else please!" is an easy way to set your franchise back several years.  Want Russell Wilson?  Of course.  For 2-3 first round picks and an extension paying him $20M plus per?  NO.  Want Kaep?  Sure.  For $15.3M (2015) and $16.8M (2016)?  NO.

It's ok to go with a stopgap route until a better option comes available.  It's not an excuse to mortgage your franchise's future just to get your instant gratification.  Especially since, in Kaep's case, he's most definitely not a franchise saver.  He had one of the best coaches in the league and talent all around him in San Fran, and still couldn't get further than the Jets did with Mark Sanchez.  And his play has digressed.  No thanks.

The best option right now is to stick with what we have at QB and wait until next offseason to reevaluate what we want to do.  By then, Brees and/or Rivers might be available for a lot less than we'd have to give up to get Wilson or Kaep.  Not to mention, the 2016 rookie QB class might be significantly better than the 2015 class.  And we also should do our due diligence on Bryce Petty's development.

Didn't they make it to the Superbowl with Kaep?  Harbaugh Bowl in fact; he led a second half come back and they almost won the game.  He has seemingly regressed since that game but is still young.  Not saying I would make the trade but I would think very hard about it.... 

...it has been nearly 50 years since the Jets went to the SB. Kap has taken his team there already and Wilson has done so twice. Wether you give them the credit for doing so is your own choice. However, they were the starting QB's.

The Jets owe it to the fanbase to field the best team possible and have a legit chance to win the SB. If Kap can make the difference the FO needs to get it done. Just how much longer does this fanbase have to keep waiting till next year?

Kap or Wilson are not just somebody else at QB. They both represent huge upgrades at the premium position in the NFL for the Jets.

...it has been nearly 50 years since the Jets went to the SB. Kap has taken his team there already and Wilson has done so twice. Wether you give them the credit for doing so is your own choice. However, they were the starting QB's.

The Jets owe it to the fanbase to field the best team possible and have a legit chance to win the SB. If Kap can make the difference the FO needs to get it done. Just how much longer does this fanbase have to keep waiting till next year?

Kap or Wilson are not just somebody else at QB. They both represent huge upgrades at the premium position in the NFL for the Jets.

Wilson yes, Kaep no.  Kaep has digressed.  He's a middle of the pack QB at this point, nowhere near worth the coin he was paid. I'd rather throw Fitz out there this year.

I get the impatience.  I really do.  But about 15-20 other teams are in the exact same situation as us.  Do you really think we have a legit shot at getting Wilson/Kaep if they're put on the trade block?  Some piece of sh*t franchise will sell the farm to get one of those dudes.  Nothing Macc has done as GM so far suggests he'd pull the trigger on something like this.

Wilson yes, Kaep no.  Kaep has digressed.  He's a middle of the pack QB at this point, nowhere near worth the coin he was paid.

I keep reading here that if Geno was middle of the pack.....Kap at WORST already is...

It'd be like dumping an ugly GF then trying to marry the first whore you can find.  Set your standards a little higher and have some patience. 

Macc was never going to be able to come in here and fix our prior regimes' failures overnight.  But he seems to be doing a fine job of trying to do so.  Problem is that QB's don't grow on trees, and the ones other teams have would require a king's ransom in a trade. 

Before any restructures, these are the cap hits/ base salaries for his contract until the year 2020.

2015 = 15+ mil  / 10+ mil base

2016 = 16+ mil  / 11+ mil base

2017 = 19+ mil  / 14+ mil base

2018 = 19+ mil  / 15  Mil base

2019 = 19+ mil  / 16+ mil base

2020 = 21+ mil  / 19+ mil base

Now I realize that the vast majority of the signing bonus is already mostly paid out, meaning that the Jets could cut this player and not be liable for most of this cap hit, but why would you trade for this player, and then cut him to avoid these hits which will be ours as long as he's on the team and his contract is not restructured.

Does anyone think this kid is going to restructure this contract and give any of this money back ?

All salaries and cap hits taken from over the cap web page.

This link shows the science speaks differently

http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr/_/year/2013

Kap is a value pick right now

This was done in 2013 which probably means it was based on the 2012 season . We are about to enter the 2015 season and I can guarantee you those folks don't have the same opinion today as they did back then. For the 1st 2 yrs as a Jet, many were calling Mark Sanchez the Sanchise. What do those same folks call him today ?

Look through the trees and see the Forest.

Geno is f*cking terrible.  Doesn't make Kaep worth $15-16M per year plus a 1st rounder (and probably Wilkerson) in a trade.  Understand?

Where did I say trade Mo? I said trade Geno and a draft pick. Round tbd. His salary is what it is. In 2013 he was the 6th rated NFL QB. Do YOU understand?

Wilson yes, Kaep no.  Kaep has digressed.  He's a middle of the pack QB at this point, nowhere near worth the coin he was paid. I'd rather throw Fitz out there this year.

I get the impatience.  I really do.  But about 15-20 other teams are in the exact same situation as us.  Do you really think we have a legit shot at getting Wilson/Kaep if they're put on the trade block?  Some piece of sh*t franchise will sell the farm to get one of those dudes.  Nothing Macc has done as GM so far suggests he'd pull the trigger on something like this.

Again, I keep reading here if Geno was a midlle of the pack QB......i never stated anywhere that Mac should sell the farm for him. While Kap has a low value is the time to get him if he is available. Don't mix my posts up with others who don't know what they are talking about.

Lol. Kap's value is certainly low right now. I think Geno has to be part of any trade for Kap by the Jets. Can't see him staying here. Now is the time to pull the lever ona deal like this for NY. Makes the Jets instant contenders is any SB preseason conversation.

The most prominent weakness on this team is QB. Veteran players like Brick, Harris, Cro and Mangold are owed by this franchise to win or at least provided the best opportunity to win it all.

Go get him Mac.

You had me until the bolded part.

Where did I say trade Mo? I said trade Geno and a draft pick. Round tbd. His salary is what it is. In 2013 he was the 6th rated NFL QB. Do YOU understand?

If the 49ers made that deal sign me up in a heartbeat.  But that's a pipe dream.  Geno has approximately 4th round pick value.  And that's probably being generous.

Any legitimate move for a QB is going to involve Wilkerson and a 1st as a starting point.  The 49ers have little incentive to accept much less than that because there's a LOT of QB-starved teams out there who are likely to think Kaep is their answer. 

Hell, we just saw Mariota go # 2 overall, and he's basically a cheaper, less talented Kaep.  That's the kind of investment teams are making.

It is clear that you don't want a SB this year. If Kap is available he should become the starting QB here.

Again, I keep reading here if Geno was a midlle of the pack QB......i never stated anywhere that Mac should sell the farm for him. While Kap has a low value is the time to get him if he is available. Don't mix my posts up with others who don't know what they are talking about.

He doesn't have low value.  That's where you're wrong.  Certainly his value is a lot less than it was 2 years ago, when he would have cost something like three 1st rounders.  But the 49ers have little incentive to deal him for anything less than a couple 1sts or at least something in that neighborhood.

It is clear that you don't want a SB this year. If Kap is available he should become the starting QB here.

It is clear you overrate Kaep.  He's not taking us there, sorry.  He's had his best days with QB whisperer Harbaugh and a super talented roster.  Those days are gone.  In order to get him we'd have to give up far too many assets, plus pay him 2nd tier QB money (Cutler/Flacco), when he's a middle-of-the-pack guy in reality.

Sacrificing future returns on a guy like him is not a bright move.  Macc understands we need a QB, and also probably recognizes that we can do better than Kaep.

If the 49ers made that deal sign me up in a heartbeat.  But that's a pipe dream.  Geno has approximately 4th round pick value.  And that's probably being generous.

Any legitimate move for a QB is going to involve Wilkerson and a 1st as a starting point.  The 49ers have little incentive to accept much less than that because there's a LOT of QB-starved teams out there who are likely to think Kaep is their answer. 

Hell, we just saw Mariota go # 2 overall, and he's basically a cheaper, less talented Kaep.  That's the kind of investment teams are making.

Kap is not coming here for free. Geno and a pick or two. Maybe Geno and a few WR's. SF gets to open up some cap space in the trade.

Kap is not coming here for free. Geno and a pick or two. Maybe Geno and a few WR's. SF gets to open up some cap space in the trade.

You must play a lot of Madden. 

Wilkerson and a 1st.  That's a lot closer to the actual pricetag it would cost.  You agree its not worth it.  Therefore this discussion has no further merit. 

I'd love it if Geno had that kind of value in the marketplace.  But he doesn't.  No one wants him.  Niners would say "You just keep Geno and we'll take another 1st rounder.  Or you send us Wilk and a 1st and maybe we'll flip a 3rd rounder back to you."

Aren't you the same guy that said Brick is through a few months back? Those vets deserve a shot at a ring here with a better QB.

A lot of those vets would have to be jettisoned if we're to take on Kaep's $15M+ cap number.  And we still wouldn't get our ring.

You must play a lot of Madden. 

Wilkerson and a 1st.  That's a lot closer to the actual pricetag it would cost.  You agree its not worth it.  Therefore this discussion has no further merit. 

I'd love it if Geno had that kind of value in the marketplace.  But he doesn't.  No one wants him.  Niners would say "You just keep Geno and we'll take another 1st rounder.  Or you send us Wilk and a 1st and maybe we'll flip a 3rd rounder back to you."

It has been about 10 years since I played Madden. No way would I trade Wilk unless he could not be signed by the Jets. Right now Kap's value is low. Clearly lower than it was in 2013/2014 NFCCG loss to Sea.

Get him for the value he is showing now, not on his potential with the Jets. Mac got Brandon Marshall for good value while he was lower than normal.

I'm not a Kaepernick fan and I see things going from bad to worse. He has no touch on his throws I think he puts way too much velocity making routine passes to underneath routes to compensate for making inefficient reads. Teams can contain him pretty quickly as a rusher by spying him. Pass.

Archived