Jets' Leonard Williams compared to Richard Seymour

BurnleyJet

Not just a waste, but an intentional slight to Jets fans everywhere... when you consider that Landry, Davante, A-Rob, Jeremy Hill, Latimer, or Garapolo could have been drafted there.

I wanted Jarvis Landry there.  It was just like the last time we took at TE that high when we were desperate for a WR and we traded up for Keller with Desean Jackson on the board....granted this time we didnt trade up into the first round. 

But its ok, there's guys out there making the big bucks to do this crazy thing called the draft. 

Amaro is the mush.  They need to just convert him to a WR and be done with it.  He'll never been a legitimate TE. 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would start Mauldin and put Coples in the D-line rotation.  Btw its amazing that we finally have a gm that knows how to draft.

I'm really surprised that hasnt happened with Sheldon's year in question.  Coples was a stud when Mo went out last year.  It's clearly his natural position.  Really thought we'd see a ton more of Babin, Pace and Maudlin at OLB with Coples playing with his hand in the dirt.

Which I guess is all still very possible when Bowles starts actually game planning.

I wanted Jarvis Landry there.  It was just like the last time we took at TE that high when we were desperate for a WR and we traded up for Keller with Desean Jackson on the board....granted this time we didnt trade up into the first round. 

But its ok, there's guys out there making the big bucks to do this crazy thing called the draft. 

Amaro is the mush.  They need to just convert him to a WR and be done with it.  He'll never been a legitimate TE. 

There aren't many legitimate TEs playing football anymore.  In most cases they're either a blocking TE or a receiving TE.  

Figured it out! 

Petty%203.gif

Thanks for positing these.

That right there, is a big boy throw.  This kid could have a future.  He's 100x more exciting than Fitz, that's for sure.  Not saying play him but damn....he had some big boy throws in the game. 

There aren't many legitimate TEs playing football anymore.  In most cases they're either a blocking TE or a receiving TE.  

This is very true.  

My point is more so around, why even stunt the guys growth by learning how to be a TE?  He's not a TE.  He never will be.  He's a WR through and through.  Just let him learn that game and scrap the TE duties all together. 

This is very true.  

My point is more so around, why even stunt the guys growth by learning how to be a TE?  He's not a TE.  He never will be.  He's a WR through and through.  Just let him learn that game and scrap the TE duties all together. 

Think the've compromised by making him a HBack and not a traditional TE

Thanks for positing these.

That right there, is a big boy throw.  This kid could have a future.  He's 100x more exciting than Fitz, that's for sure.  Not saying play him but damn....he had some big boy throws in the game. 

No doubt. That throw in particular looked like a vintage Favre rocket. I was giddy watching... I hope the kid can ball next year... even this year, if he's obviously ready. 

Mauldin looks so slow off the ball.  Love the tenacity to follow the play and make the play.

But really needs to work on his first step

Will come with reps. Rookie hesitation is usually about thinking / recognition. At some point, instinct should kick in... hopefully. 

I hear you. Its not like I didnt like the pick, but this dude outside of a nice denver game last year has done nothing. I dont recall him on the field last night either. 

He has a shoulder injury.  Amaro will be fine once he is fully healthy.   We need him back asap

Mauldin%202.gif

Whatever issues we had via the LB spot in terms of "speed" has greatly diminished with Mauldin. This guy is a freak. All the attention was on Williams after the game, but Mauldin had himself just as good a night. 

But, but he ran a 4.85 at the combine that means he is SLOW :-).   Mauldin is a BEAST.  If Coples had his motor and drive he would be an All Pro. 

He'll be fine health wise, but he needs to produce something this year. 

Yeah because last year he was just a rookie and still had a better year than Ebron who was drafted ahead of him.  Amaro, with Marshall and Decker getting alot of the attention, will produce some nice numbers.  

Mauldin looks so slow off the ball.  Love the tenacity to follow the play and make the play.

But really needs to work on his first step

lol, dude he is not slow off the ball; part of it is play recognition.  Remember he is a rookie; he will get better as time goes on. 

I still get furious with Richardson every time anything to do with our Dline gets brought up.  The part of our team that should be able to just wreck other teams and the bone head is gone for a min of 4 games maybe much more.  Wilk is hammy bound and contract whine mode.  Pisses me off.

lol, dude he is not slow off the ball; part of it is play recognition.  Remember he is a rookie; he will get better as time goes on. 

on the 2 plays shown, he was clearly the last guy off the ball.  

I agree, he's probably got a million things going through his mind, and that is slowing him down.  

Hasnt slowed Beasley though

I agree, he's probably got a million things going through his mind, and that is slowing him down.  

Beasley was a top ten pick, and Mauldin was drafted in the third round; I am sure there is a reason for that.   Beasley game IS speed and is a  true freak.  Mauldin has looked very good to me, he is constantly around the ball and made several plays. He looked FASTenough to me and I very happy with him so far.  On one of the plays you are talking about he made a great tackle from the other side of the line so I don't understand how he is looking slow off the ball.  

If Coples was playing at DE/DT the majority of the snaps he'd be a better player for us. 

Coples said he does what the team asks but he is a D lineman not a LB'er.. Also interesting Lenard Williams said college camps are much rougher then Pro camp because they still do 2 a days in college something the pussy CBA doesn't let the Pro's do anymore.. Which IMO contributes to all the injuries teams see now.. You can't even be in contact with the coaching staff now in the off season for football related issues..

In all fairness, two different positions.  L. Williams said it himself, sometimes when he is focusing on things like protecting his lanes, etc he sometimes hesitates, but if they say pin back your ears and go after the QB, he just goes.  Clearly Beasley and Williams have flashed and shown why they were picked so high.

As far as LB, you have to react to the play and then move.  Much harder to grasp and learn.  So, it is likely to take longer for the game to speed up.

Not too mention that Beasley and Williams were #1s while Mauldin with the middle of the 3rd round.  Let's give him a chance.

Coples said he does what the team asks but he is a D lineman not a LB'er.. Also interesting Lenard Williams said college camps are much rougher then Pro camp because they still do 2 a days in college something the pussy CBA doesn't let the Pro's do anymore.. Which IMO contributes to all the injuries teams see now.. You can't even be in contact with the coaching staff now in the off season for football related issues..

Agreed 100%.  I also think its the reason that so many teams look disjointed out there (stares at the Jets starters).  Timing off with WR's, OL missing calls, Defense missing assignments, etc.  All because of that stupid rule.  

Also, I think one of the unintended consequences of that rule is that now, just about every player in the league is doing some type off offseason program where they never actually give their body time to properly heal.  They take a few weeks off, then the next thing you know, they're at some camp working out.  I think the body needs a period of recuperation from Football.   And back when they had 2-a-days, they knew that once camp was over, they'd be in game shape.  Those types of programs werent seen as necessary as they do today.  I think that's a big factor to the amount of in camp injuries these days.

I'm really surprised that hasnt happened with Sheldon's year in question.  Coples was a stud when Mo went out last year.  It's clearly his natural position.  Really thought we'd see a ton more of Babin, Pace and Maudlin at OLB with Coples playing with his hand in the dirt.

Which I guess is all still very possible when Bowles starts actually game planning.

From the NY POST yesterday.

Quinton Coples smiles broadly, like the Cheshire Cat, every time he discusses his new role with the Jets. He has a twinkle in his eye and a “just wait” attitude.

After being used more in coverage the past two seasons by former head coach Rex Ryan, the Jets outside linebacker said he expects to return to his pass-rushing roots this season.

“It’s great. I think it’s a new opportunity to rush the passer, something I’m passionate about,” Coples said recently. “I’m pretty happy with the role I’ve got and the position I play on this defense.”

Coples is so confident about the way he has been told he will be utilized in new head coach Todd Bowles’ system he predicted double-digit sacks.

“Ten isn’t good enough,” he said with a cocky smile. “Got to keep going, the highest of the highest. Whatever number is possible.

“Sky is the limit.”

Coples emphasized he will do whatever is asked, and he did get exposed in coverage during Friday night’s preseason victory over the Falcons. He was beat on a short reception by running back Collin Mooney, who turned it into a 60-yard gain. Afterward, Bowles absolved Coples of blame, saying a miscommunication allowed Mooney to get free.

“I still do cover,” Coples said. “I have a lot less responsibility of covering. We have a great secondary, so they don’t really need me as much — if at all.”

After all, now that Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie and Buster Skrine have been added to the secondary, it could be one of the league’s best.

Coples hasn’t been a bust since the Jets selected him in the first round (16th overall) of the 2012 draft out of North Carolina, but he hasn’t been a boom, either. He has failed to produce more than 6.5 sacks in a season. He has shown flashes, but has lacked consistency.

He was ranked 39th among 46 of the league’s 3-4 outside linebackers by Pro Football Focus — 27th as a pass rusher, 17th in coverage, and 42nd against the run. Those numbers were somewhat down compared to his first year at outside linebacker, when PFF ranked him 31st overall, 38th as a pass rusher, 22nd in coverage and 18th against the run.

But, it should be noted, Coples was used more in coverage last season because the Jets were so weak in the secondary. He was asked to line up outside and bump wide receivers.

Shortly after the new staff was hired, Coples spoke with Bowles and defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers. They both told him they planned to use him on the line of scrimmage much more.

“I kind of missed that the past couple of years,” he said. “I was there for the team. It feels good to be back in a natural position that you’re good at.”

Coples has a lot riding on this season, which could be his last with the Jets. If he doesn’t take a significant step forward, the team could cut him at no cost, and save the $7.8 million he is due on the final year of the fifth-year option in his rookie contract. The presence of impressive — yet raw — third-round pick Lorenzo Mauldin could make Coples expendable.

Coples, however, said he isn’t thinking that far down the line.

“I’ve just got to go out and do my job, be productive and help this team,” he said. “If I’m not helping the team win or getting to our goal, which is the Super Bowl, I’m defeating the purpose of everything.

“I understand the business side. If that day comes [when the Jets don’t bring him back], you make the adjustments.”

Archived