TRADE dept. : Could Jets entertain idea of trading Geno Smith before deadline ? ? ?

kelly

Come on now that's not fair, you have a new coach,a new offense of coordinator, would had tailored a new offense of system to quarterback strengths.

Finally a trio of wide receivers who can actually get separation from the secondary. This is opposed to last year, when you had one Wide receiver who the defense could concentrate on. Then you factor in Carpenter on the offense line,which stabilized it, that's another addition

An lastly a totally rebuilt secondary which gets the opposing offense off the field and eventually tires the opposing defense. Which in turn opens up a running game and opens up the passing game. So, there's a lot different from last year come, not saying that Geno will do any better, but he certainly would have more tools to be successful

I was referring to the mass of "new weapons" on offense this year as described by others.  Eric Decker started 15 of 16 games last year.  The backfield is the same as last year except for our 3rd string guy who has barely seen the field this year.  So no change there.  Our tight ends are the same as last year if we ever wind up throwing to them.  Four out of the five members of the offensive line are the same as last year.  O-Linemen are not exactly "weapons" in any event with all due respect to Jumbo Elliot.  We have precisely two new guys on offense. Brandon Marshall and Devin Smith. Smith is a complete unknown at this point and so this supposed mass of new weapons is actually just Brandon Marshall.

I am not saying that Marshall does not change the receiver mix because he does but I am at a complete loss as to how people can say that we have this mass of new  weapons when in fact we have one new weapon.  Perhaps two if Smith turns out to be something.  I understand it helps to try and make the case that the poor impoverished QB last year could never possibly have enjoyed success without all the new guys that were added this offseason, but the problem with that idea is that it does not really survive examination.

We brought our offensive coordinator out of retirement.  But Chan Gaily is not a weapon anyway and if people want to cite him among the list of our new weapons that means the real list is very short indeed.

Perhaps the replacement for fireman Ed can also be listed as one of our new weapons.  That would make two.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Understood that Marshall is a new piece and the as yet unproven Devin Smith but other than that everyone else is the same.  The entire O-Line is pretty much the same, Decker, Kerley, Ivory, Powell, Cumberland and Amaro.  All were here last year.  What is this notion of all of these new weapons?

I don't think it's lack of weapons but rather a plethora of excuses. Good thing professional personnel men don't require a player to be in the ideal situation before they can evaluate him.

I'd say half the teams in the NFL have potent weapons and sh*tty quarterbacks. 

So by not trading Geno to them, we're keeping half the league from a chance at a Superbowl appearance. Like Arby's, we have the meats.

Ya, that sly Mac.. keeping geno from beating us in playoffs ;)

Have to keep Geno. If Fitz goes down w/injury or 'sputters out', Geno is logical choice, not Petty yet. Bad move to jettison Geno, unless Petty is looking like next coming of Namath in practice and its being kept secret.

Time on pine , might actually mature and mellow him out somewhat,,,Pine helps players sometimes..

If Genos in there, I will root 100% for him. 

If not for the "sucker punch" Geno Smith would have started the season as QB. Fitz has done a nice job, but the Jets offense is limited with him. Hasn't been able to stretch the field with downfield throws that have come up short. Geno can throw it deep, though not very accurately, so either way the Jets QB position is flawed. Unless Fitz gets hurt or completely loses his mind and loses games for the Jets, they will and should stick with him. Geno Smith has taken too much for granted in his tenure, but who can blame him when Rex simply handed the job to him when Mark Sanchez had clearly outplayed him in preseason before he got hurt in a questionable Rex move (what move by him wasn't questionable?). Geno will be moved after this season, because I don't think he has an ally in the locker room or in the coaches offices.

I don't think it's lack of weapons but rather a plethora of excuses. Good thing professional personnel men don't require a player to be in the ideal situation before they can evaluate him.

I think that is precisely spot on.

It helps Geno fans to create the fiction that last year Geno was bad because had the fewest weapons in the history of professional football on offense.  This year on the other hand we have amassed a boatload of new weapons for the QB to be successful with.  If only Geno could get to work with this new set of weapons that Fitzpatrick has.  Repeat this fiction often enough and loudly enough and maybe some people begin to believe it is true.  The problem is that it does not actually stand up to any kind of inspection.

Weapons Facts

Harvin - Top playmaker #1 receiver, recent Superbowl MVP - Loss

Marshall - Top playmaker #1 receiver - Added

Devin Smith - 2nd round draft choice - Injured in camp - Unknown quantity - Added

Eric Decker - Here last year - started 15 of 16 games - this year dinged up for a game as well.

Jeremy Kerley - Here last year

Enunya - Here last year

Owusu - here last year

Amaro - Here last year - missing significant time this year

Cumberland - Here last year

Ivory - Here last year

Powell - Here last year

Stacey - 3rd string RB, almost no carries - Added

Perhaps it  possible that there is another Jets team out there somewhere that added masses of new offensive weapons and that the people spreading this fiction are confused between that team and our team?  Or possibly they are making stuff up (again) and hoping nobody will call them on it.  I wonder which of the two it could be?

Or perhaps they were referring to Stacy and he is about to bust out and become a monster for us?

It helps Geno fans to create the fiction that last year Geno was bad because had the fewest weapons in the history of professional football on offense.  This year on the other hand we have amassed a boatload of new weapons for the QB to be successful with.  If only Geno could get to work with this new set of weapons that Fitzpatrick has.  Repeat this fiction often enough and loudly enough and maybe some people begin to believe it is true.  The problem is that it does not actually stand up to any kind of inspection.

Weapons Facts

Devin Smith - 2nd round draft choice - Injured in camp - Unknown quantity - Added

Eric Decker - Here last year - started 15 of 16 games - this year dinged up for a game as well.

Enunya - Here last year

Owusu - here last year

Ivory - Here last year

Powell - Here last year

Perhaps it  possible that there is another Jets team out there somewhere that added masses of new offensive weapons and that the people spreading this fiction are confused between that team and our team?  Or possibly they are making stuff up (again) and hoping nobody will call them on it.  I wonder which of the two it could be?

Or perhaps they were referring to Stacy and he is about to bust out and become a monster for us?

I'll keep it simple.

2014 Week 5 starting WRs - Kerley and David Nelson, with Salas as #3. Decker was hurt and the Harvin trade hadn't happened.

2015 Week 5 starting WRs - Marshall and Decker. Smith #3.

Weapons Facts

Enunya - Here last year

Owusu - here last year

Ivory - Here last year

Powell - Here last year

Just out of curiosity, and not directed at EM31.  I am just quoting this post.

Would you still be in favor of keeping Fitz in there if we weren't 3-1?  Cause we aren't winning because of what he and that side of the ball are doing.  Granted, the offensive play maker additions are not exasperated, and fair enough (I would say they are significant, but that is just my opinion).  However, the argument has been made that he should remain the starter because he is 3-1, and that would require doing a whole lot more addition to this team.  

The teams are not the same.  From the FO, to the CS to the personnel, and we do not know what we would get from Smith.  I hate Smith, I would take any starter in the league over him, and a lot of back ups including Fitzpatrick if they make good decisions.  The thing I am struggling with is Fitzpatrick isn't making good decisions, and he is physically limited.

First, think of another team in the NFL that would benefit from Geno coming over 5 weeks into their system having to learn it cold. Don't worry about second because second doesn't matter when you answer first with any common sense whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First, think of another team in the NFL that would benefit from Geno coming over 5 weeks into their system having to learn it cold. Don't worry about second because second doesn't matter when you answer first with any common sense whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He'd get there a week late and say he forgot to set his calendar correctly

http://www.hdwallpapersos.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/calendar-flip-pages.jpg

Just out of curiosity, and not directed at EM31.  I am just quoting this post.

Would you still be in favor of keeping Fitz in there if we weren't 3-1?  Cause we aren't winning because of what he and that side of the ball are doing.  Granted, the offensive play maker additions are not exasperated, and fair enough (I would say they are significant, but that is just my opinion).  However, the argument has been made that he should remain the starter because he is 3-1, and that would require doing a whole lot more addition to this team.  

The teams are not the same.  From the FO, to the CS to the personnel, and we do not know what we would get from Smith.  I hate Smith, I would take any starter in the league over him, and a lot of back ups including Fitzpatrick if they make good decisions.  The thing I am struggling with is Fitzpatrick isn't making good decisions, and he is physically limited.

I think/thought the Jets had a shot at the playoffs with Fitz and not with Smith.  If Fitz were the starter and we were say 2 games under .500 then I would be in favor of giving Geno the starting nod because (a) we are probably not making the post season anyway and (b) at some point finding out what we have with Geno, even if it is confirming the negative makes sense to do.

While we still have a live shot at the playoffs I would not be in favor of making the change.

I'll keep it simple.

2014 Week 5 starting WRs - Kerley and David Nelson, with Salas as #3. Decker was hurt and the Harvin trade hadn't happened.

2015 Week 5 starting WRs - Marshall and Decker. Smith #3.

I'll keep it even simpler and observe that you heavily cherry-picked in your response

You picked the one and only one game last year that Decker did not start (he started 15 of 16 games for us) and two weeks before we got Percy Harvin.

My list is complete.  All player additions, subtractions and those who were unchanged.  Unchanged is the vast majority and we swapped #1 receivers between Harvin and Marshall.  Hardly an avalanche of new offensive weapons as some here are fond of suggesting.

This is the problem with the idea of trading Geno Smith away. Geno is not a proven starting QB in the league, any team who would want Geno will be offering us somewhere around a 6th or 7th round pick as they would be willing to pay likely only the value of a backup QB for him. Currently Geno is worth more to us than the value we would get for him so it would be silly to trade him away.

You could come up with some insane scenario where a playoff bound team loses their QB and needs a new one in a hurry but even then they would be more likely to promote from within and just use their backup QB as he should already know their playbook as opposed to trading for Geno who has shown slight improvement over the two years he has been with us.

At the end of the day before starting a silly thread and dreaming about some team giving us multiple probowlers for a mediocre player you should ask yourself, if I were a fan of X team would I make this trade for Y player. (in this case the answer should be a very clear No!)

I think/thought the Jets had a shot at the playoffs with Fitz and not with Smith.  If Fitz were the starter and we were say 2 games under .500 then I would be in favor of giving Geno the starting nod because (a) we are probably not making the post season anyway and (b) at some point finding out what we have with Geno, even if it is confirming the negative makes sense to do.

While we still have a live shot at the playoffs I would not be in favor of making the change.

how many games does it take to find out what we got in a player? 60? 100?

how many games does it take to find out what we got in a player? 60? 100?

No, not that many games.  Personally I have seen enough because I think that Grno's flaws are not the kind of flaws that get cured with the passing of time.

On the other hand I would be a fool if I did not recognize that other people have a different view on this topic.   For those people, they need to see a more mature Geno in a (supposedly) a better situation just one more time.  Therefore I would steer a middle ground of giving Geno another shot at the end of this year if we are already out of it.

As a follow-on I would promise none of our QBs anything going into next year and I would have an open QB competition between all three of them.

Unless we win the Superbowl in which case the incumbent has the job locked up.

No, not that many games.  Personally I have seen enough because I think that Grno's flaws are not the kind of flaws that get cured with the passing of time.

On the other hand I would be a fool if I did not recognize that other people have a different view on this topic.   For those people, they need to see a more mature Geno in a (supposedly) a better situation just one more time.  Therefore I would steer a middle ground of giving Geno another shot at the end of this year if we are already out of it.

As a follow-on I would promise none of our QBs anything going into next year and I would have an open QB competition between all three of them.

Unless we win the Superbowl in which case the incumbent has the job locked up.

If you wait for everyone to give up on Geno, he will start for next ten years even if putrid.

I would hope not.  Geno might be better than all the other current Jets QB's.  If anything, let's at least have a QB competition next year and let the cream rise to the top.  Not default, jawgate or anything like that.  

If Fitz stays healthy and continues to win (big IF) all of 2015, I doubt Geno on roster in 2016 as Jets will play Fitz again and groom Petty for 2017 but use as #2 in 2016. Pick up a FA QB or draft a late round one again in 2016.

Open QB competition next year unless we are drafting 32nd. A real competition and not just naming the default incumbent as the starter to begin with.

No real reason to cut bait with Geno after this year.  He is already paid for and we should get to see what, if anything he has learned.

Archived