Jace Amaro hopes to revitalize tight-end position in Jets' offense

Gas2No99

Jace Amaro hopes to revitalize tight-end position in Jets' offense

Dick Consum-iniESPN Staff Writer

As he prepares for his third NFL season, Jace Amaro's claim to fame is that he triggered a war of words with Rex Ryan. Surely, you remember that unfortunate chapter in coach-player relations.

In a radio interview after Ryan was fired by the New York Jets, Amaro said the team lacked accountability in 2014. The tight end must have pushed a button because Ryan fired back, and he kept firing in subsequent interviews.

Amaro doesn't want to be remembered that way. He wants to be known for catching passes, not flak from his old coach.

"This is a big year for me, especially the way we played as a collective group," Amaro said after Wednesday's practice. "The tight ends only caught 10 balls [actually eight], so it's a big year for all of us. All I know is that we plan on getting more involved this season. I plan on getting involved a lot this season."

That's quite a statement, considering the Jets' recent history at tight end. Since 2011, their tight ends have produced a league-low 282 receptions, according to ESPN Stats & Information. By contrast, the NFL-leading New England Patriots have generated 545 catches from the position.

The Jets' drought has spanned four offensive coordinators, from Brian Schottenheimer to Tony Sparano to Marty Mornhinweg to Chan Gailey. We're talking about four entirely different systems, so you can't blame the lack of numbers on coaching. It's the talent; they haven't had a true pass-catching tight end since Dustin Keller.

Amaro hopes to change that.

He was a record-breaking receiver at Texas Tech, a second-round pick in 2014. He caught 38 passes as a rookie, but folks remember his six drops more than any of his receptions. Amaro didn't play a single down last season because he underwent labrum surgery in the preseason. Before the injury, he was listed as the No. 3 tight end on the depth chart, raising eyebrows.

A year ago, the Jets envisioned Amaro as an H-back, a fullback/tight end hybrid who can move around the formation. Coach Todd Bowles said they still see him as an H-back, which is interesting because Amaro doesn't share the same thought. He believes he'll get a shot to be a traditional tight end, capable of playing every down.

"It just takes a lot of practice, a lot of reps, catching the ball, doing the right things, getting open, and I think that’s one of the things I can do extremely well," Amaro said.

What do the Jets expect from Amaro? They have no idea. Really, they don't. Remember, the current regime didn't draft him and he got hurt last summer before it could formulate an evaluation.

He’s competing for a spot like everybody else," Bowles said. "He missed a year. I haven’t seen him play yet. My first year, he was out. So getting him back healthy, it’ll be interesting to see what he does."

The position is wide open. Jeff Cumberland is gone, so the top returning tight ends are Amaro, Kellen Davis and Zach Sudfeld, who also is returning from an injury. It's surprising the front office didn't make a stronger effort to improve the position, but maybe it's counting on Amaro to blossom and become the player the old staff, including Ryan, thought he could be.

Jace Amaro - TE -  Jets

Coach Todd Bowles confirmed third-year TE Jace Amaro is on the roster bubble.

The Jets' tight end depth is in a sorry state. Along with Amaro, Kellen Davis and Zach Sudfeld round out the top three. The Jets received a league-low 10 catches from their tight ends last season. It's possible they simply don't plan on using the position, instead opting for an extra tackle in blocking situations or using for receivers. Amaro missed all of 2015 with a torn labrum.

Source: ESPN.com 
May 27 - 9:37 AM

52 minutes ago, faba said:

Well he has to show better hands dependable for sure- the  current Jets management has no ties to him it is up to him to show something to prove his worth

He still had a very good catch rate. I'm not sure if it matters if you reach a ball and drop it, or if you don't reach it as long as you catch over  60% of the balls thrown your way. 

I don't understand the whole "roster bubble" thing.  He was out all last year and his rookie year may not have been all-pro worthy, but he wasn't horrible.  Even if we had a great option in front of him I'd think you still keep him around and see what he has.

He obviously is a big receiving threat.  I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do this season.  Another target his size, along with Marshall and Decker would make our RZ offense even better, regardless of who's under center.

6 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

I don't understand the whole "roster bubble" thing.  He was out all last year and his rookie year may not have been all-pro worthy, but he wasn't horrible.  Even if we had a great option in front of him I'd think you still keep him around and see what he has.

He obviously is a big receiving threat.  I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do this season.  Another target his size, along with Marshall and Decker would make our RZ offense even better, regardless of who's under center.

I think that 'roster bubble' is just a poorly chosen spin on Bowles actual comments.   Basically Bowles said that he didn't get a good look at him last year, and doesn't really know him, so like every other guy, he's going to have to fight to make the team. If anything I see it as keeping that spark lit under Amaro's ass.  

2 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

I think that 'roster bubble' is just a poorly chosen spin on Bowles actual comments.   Basically Bowles said that he didn't get a good look at him last year, and doesn't really know him, so like every other guy, he's going to have to fight to make the team. If anything I see it as keeping that spark lit under Amaro's ass.  

Good call.  Sounds like it's working.  Early reports sound promising.

37 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

He isn't on the bubble. Bowles is the opposite of Rex. He makes people prove their worth. He isn't going to anoint Amaro until he can stay on the field and produce. He's challenging Amaro to produce and earn a role. Amaro has skills and we have zero depth at TE. 

A lot of rookies drop a lot of passes. Bowles is playing tough love with him. Not sure about this H back vs traditional TE controversy if there is one. If Amaro doesnt fit the role they expect in Gailey's offense then they will go with someone else like Sudfeld and get rid of him. Gailey you would think will adapt to his talent if he thinks the guy is that good. And play him at his best spot. But that remains to be seen. After all the Jets didn't draft a tight end. Maybe Mac thinks he has one already on the roster. 

56 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He isn't on the bubble. Bowles is the opposite of Rex. He makes people prove their worth. He isn't going to anoint Amaro until he can stay on the field and produce. He's challenging Amaro to produce and earn a role. Amaro has skills and we have zero depth at TE. 

I like this thinking.  Could explain the Fitz thing.  Saying, they still want him, that he'll be the starter if signed, dropping little hints like, "of the QBs on the roster now, Geno is #1"...  while we don't actually have the cap space to sign Fitz and he's dangling out in free agency.  

It's all a ploy to drive (our eventual starter) Geno harder.  I like it!

10 hours ago, Mike135 said:

To play Te for some coaches, you better be able to block.   You can't block , and you aren't going to play Te for them.( not an option)        You might be able to play H-back . ( that's where Amaro going to have to win a job with the Jets). 

Jace Amaro is on the  roster bubble , as there is a good chance he doesn't make the Jet 53 man roster.    ( new regime didn't draft him, as they are looking for different things from the Te). 

There are a lot of NFL players that are like Jace Amaro.   They have the talent to play in the NFL , but don't possess the skills their current team is looking for at that particular position.( Jace Amaro might have to find his success with another team).

Jace Amaro - TE -  Jets

Jets TE Jace Amaro expects to be involved in the pass game.

The Jets had only eight catches from their tight ends last season. Amaro’s return has potential to give them an upgrade, but he isn’t a roster lock after missing all of 2015. Even if he starts, Amaro projects for a low-volume role.

Source: ESPN New York 
May 28 - 8:21 PM

2 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

He caught over 70% of the balls thrown his way as a rookie. Remind me again if Geno had a 70% completion rate with all his receivers. 

It doesn't matter what Jace Amaro did in another offense, under a different coach.( what they are looking for now from that position is a lot different.( you can't block- you won't play Te).  Why they were looking at him more as H-back,  than traditional Te.

Let me give you an example.( albeit a Raider one)   Te Mychal Rivera is very similar to Jace Amaro.  Pretty decent receiver( one time Derek Carr favorite target), who isn't very good blocker.    M Rivera probably isn't making the Raider roster,  because  of the importance Jack Delrio puts on blocking from that position.( you can't block , you aren't playing there).  His numbers dropped like a rock since the change in coaches.

M Rivera can play in this league, but it will be in another team uniform.

Another example J Kerley was excellent slot receiver for the Jets for a number of years.   The new coaching staff comes in and  prefers a different type of slot wr ( wr with size) . j Kerley playing time decreases a lot.  Kerley gone now , not because he wasn't effective , but what the coaches want from that position has changed.

So definitely Jace Amaro is on the roster bubble , as he doesn't fit what they the new staff wants from their Te position.

7 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

It doesn't matter what Jace Amaro did in another offense, under a different coach.( what they are looking for now from that position is a lot different.( you can't block- you won't play Te).  Why they were looking at him more as H-back,  than traditional Te.

Let me give you an example.( albeit a Raider one)   Te Mychal Rivera is very similar to Jace Amaro.  Pretty decent receiver( one time Derek Carr favorite target), who isn't very good blocker.    M Rivera probably isn't making the Raider roster,  because  of the importance Jack Delrio puts on blocking from that position.( you can't block , you aren't playing there).  His numbers dropped like a rock since the change in coaches.

M Rivera can play in this league, but it will be in another team uniform.

Cumberland, and Enunwa were the starters last year at H, and Y. That's not a mighty bar to hurtle for a 265 lb guy. 

They were talking about his drops and saying he had hands of stone. He did drop too many but made up for that by catching a higher percentage of balls thrown to him. If he catches 71% of his total passes then what difference does it make how many you dropped as apposed to not getting your hands on the ball? 

2 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

He caught over 70% of the balls thrown his way as a rookie. Remind me again if Geno had a 70% completion rate with all his receivers. 

Nope, but Geno completed over 70% of his passes to Amaro. If you need need me to make a lowlights video of all the dropped passes in 2013/14, which will include Amaro, let me know. 

Jace Amaro sucks. He can't block his way out of a wet paper bag and he damn near dropped as many passes as he caught in his lone season participation. He also can't stay healthy. As far as I am concerned, this guy is nothing more than a complete sh*t bum. I cannot see Gailey finding any good use for him in the offense. I'd imagine after this season Amaro will get cut or be traded.

Jace Amaro - TE -  Jets

Jets coach Todd Bowles made it sound like third-year TE Jace Amaro's roster spot is in danger.

The 49th overall pick in the 2014 draft, Amaro missed all of 2015 after catching 38 passes for 345 yards (9.1 YPR) as a rookie. Amaro was not drafted by the current Jets regime. "He’s competing for a spot like everybody else," Bowles said. "He missed a year. I haven’t seen him play yet." Whereas Bowles said the Jets "still see (Amaro) as an H-back," beat reporter Rich Cimini says "Amaro doesn't share the same thought," and sees himself as a "traditional tight end, capable of playing every down." This is a make-or-break year for Amaro in New York.

Source: ESPN New York 
May 29 - 6:15 PM

Archived