HOW ALL 31 FIRST-ROUND PICKS HAVE PLAYED THIS SEASON

Gas2No99

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Don't forget at the time they drafted Williams they still had Coples. At the time - certainly while Washington was on the clock at the #5 pick - they had no intention of cutting Coples. On the contrary, before that 4th year's camp even began, they exercised his 5th year option a month earlier. 

I think 2 years in a row Maccagnan wanted to have all his bases covered in case he got the pick(s) no one was willing to surrender for Mo. He didn't get what he wanted, clearly, but then cut nobody. He stuck himself with holding the hot potato.

Then he doubles down on this move with Mo, by offering him that contract instead of taking what he could get while he could get it, as if to insinuate this was his intention all along. And so far, that's blowing up in his face also.  

Maybe we need another plane and banner. put your face on it with your cell telling Woody to give you a call. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Don't forget at the time they drafted Williams they still had Coples. At the time - certainly while Washington was on the clock at the #5 pick - they had no intention of cutting Coples. On the contrary, before that 4th year's camp even began, they exercised his 5th year option a month earlier. 

I think 2 years in a row Maccagnan wanted to have all his bases covered in case he got the pick(s) no one was willing to surrender for Mo. He didn't get what he wanted, clearly, but then cut nobody. He stuck himself with holding the hot potato.

Then he doubles down on this move with Mo, by offering him that contract instead of taking what he could get while he could get it, as if to insinuate this was his intention all along. And so far, that's blowing up in his face also.  

With all the focus on Qb, which is problematic in my view but a more complicated case than some think when it comes to Macc, his handling of the Wilkerson situation coupled with the Lee pick is discouraging.  The best that can be said at this point is hopefully he's learning on the job, and some other things he's done will work out and bail him out.  And maybe Lee will improve.

But right now I don't see how the way Wilkerson has been handled can be justified.  He should have been traded early in the 15 off season.  I know Macc was brand new to the job, and maybe was afraid to make a big move like that.  But it was the right move, and we can clearly see how the way they handled it instead was not the right move. 

It also has the potential to be a huge problem going forward.  I say potential because it would be a mistake to assume Wilkerson will not improve significantly on getting over his current ailments.  So maybe it won't be a huge problem.  But it is easy to see how it could be.  Starting with what will they do with Richardson?

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I happen to disagree with this review, because coverage is not Lees reason for being here. His reason for being here is to increase the team's speed on the field, which he does. To help tackle the underneath routes. Before his injury. He led the team in tackles.

Plus and I continue to say this, outside of Luke Keuchly, I don't know of any linebacker that can properly cover a guy. 

WRa and TEs are too fast and athletic. That's why you see more nickel and dike packages these days

Sign me up for a dike package...

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

I agree. We could use a pass rusher like Chandler Jones & a team like the Patriots trade him for a 2nd round pick. We took Coples & the Pats took Jones. We took Kyle Wilson & the Pats took McCourty. It's really simple, the Jets need to draft better!

FYI   McCourty got picked ahead of Wilson. We took Wilson instead of Jerry Hughes. 

14 minutes ago, section314 said:

FYI   McCourty got picked ahead of Wilson. We took Wilson instead of Jerry Hughes. 

Yes, I forgot about that. But even if we took McCourty would he be a pro bowl safety with the Jets? Probably not because we don't even get coaches that can properly put guys in the best situation to succeed like Belichick does in New England.

With the Jets McCourty would have been a busted CB, lol.

3 hours ago, gEYno said:

Hence the impetus for my thread about direction.  This team is generally on the road to nowhere.  No QB, minimal young talent, have to trade probably our 2nd best player because he's a buffoon and we have too much talent at the one position.

Barring a situation like last year, 2nd easiest schedule in the league, this team is probably ways, and a new regime, away from a winning season.

Easiest schedule, bar none. 

3 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

With all the focus on Qb, which is problematic in my view but a more complicated case than some think when it comes to Macc, his handling of the Wilkerson situation coupled with the Lee pick is discouraging.  The best that can be said at this point is hopefully he's learning on the job, and some other things he's done will work out and bail him out.  And maybe Lee will improve.

But right now I don't see how the way Wilkerson has been handled can be justified.  He should have been traded early in the 15 off season.  I know Macc was brand new to the job, and maybe was afraid to make a big move like that.  But it was the right move, and we can clearly see how the way they handled it instead was not the right move. 

It also has the potential to be a huge problem going forward.  I say potential because it would be a mistake to assume Wilkerson will not improve significantly on getting over his current ailments.  So maybe it won't be a huge problem.  But it is easy to see how it could be.  Starting with what will they do with Richardson?

I'd feel more confident in that if his most recent, standout moves weren't:

• re-sign Fitzpatrick at $12M and expect anything other than disaster and losses when facing that early schedule, leaving a take it whenever you want it overpayment offer on the table for some 5 months;
  • re-sign Mo for some $17M/year instead of taking what he could get when he could get it.
  • restructure Buster Skrine, making the cap benefit negligible if he's cut (some $5M in dead space);
  • keep Geno Smith after re-signing Fitz and after seeing Petty do at least a competent job of running the huddle, thereby keeping 4 QBs for the season. Though no one foresaw it, this decision indirectly led to Petty getting injured. Should have been, if he's even in the ballpark of being close to ready, that's good enough because Geno wasn't leading the 2016 Jets to a SB if/when Fitz was no longer starting.

These aren't the moves from his first season. They are his most recent ones.

Admittedly, though, if Petty or Hackenberg pan out I'll overlook a ****load of his amateurish blunders from his first 2 seasons. Doesn't excuse them, but I suppose I could rationalize them as a means to an end. 

22 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

• re-sign Fitzpatrick at $12M and expect anything other than disaster and losses when facing that early schedule, leaving a take it whenever you want it overpayment offer on the table for some 5 months;
  • re-sign Mo for some $17M/year instead of taking what he could get when he could get it.
  • restructure Buster Skrine, making the cap benefit negligible if he's cut (some $5M in dead space);
  • keep Geno Smith after re-signing Fitz and after seeing Petty do at least a competent job of running the huddle, thereby keeping 4 QBs for the season. Though no one foresaw it, this decision indirectly led to Petty getting injured. Should have been, if he's even in the ballpark of being close to ready, that's good enough because Geno wasn't leading the 2016 Jets to a SB if/when Fitz was no longer starting.

Admittedly, though, if Petty or Hackenberg pan out I'll overlook a ****load of his amateurish blunders from his first 2 seasons. Doesn't excuse them, but I suppose I could rationalize them as a means to an end. 

So you would prefer our GM be a settler and without negotiating power

41 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Again I think the Qb deal was more complicated than you, but I won't digress on that.  Instead I also want to add to your list the I think inexplicable retention of Giacomini, and although most understand letting Cromartie go, the cb rotation he left the team with sucks.

This is crazy. Now Darren Lee is a bust? Geez I thought I was the ultimate pessimist. This reminds me of leasing a brand new car and saying you hate it 10 minutes after driving it off of the lot. You have to allow these guys to adapt to the bigger, faster, more complicated NFL game. If Lee sucks in year 2 then fine, if Hack sucks in year 2 after actually playing  then fine I will give you all your due credit, but now it looks like we are all looking for things to criticize because we are having yet another wonderful losing season.

3 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

Again I think the Qb deal was more complicated than you, but I won't digress on that.  Instead I also want to add to your list the I think inexplicable retention of Giacomini, and although most understand letting Cromartie go, the cb rotation he left the team with sucks.

Wow forgot about that one, and it's a bell I've been ringing since he did it.

Lee has a few notable strengths.  He has range, and he's tackled well on sweeps.  His big problem is that his pass rush is poor for such a speedy guy, his coverage skills haven't flashed and he is a complete liability as predicted when going up against blockers given his height/weight.

Basically he needs to become elite in one of those three problem areas in order not to be a bust.  I mean if he eventually becomes a great cover guy that can take away rbs and some tes, then im ok with the pick.  If not then you are looking at a serious reach for a first round talent.

On 10/28/2016 at 8:07 AM, Villain The Foe said:

True, and when they do draft and hit (Wilk, Shel, big cat) they need to understand that if you continue to draft at the same position then be prepared to let some good guys walk or to trade them.

Many fans were talking about how the Jets never keep their own, and to an extent they're correct, but when you have 3 of pretty much the same players all with 1st round money along with the best NT in the game, you don't release the NT and sign a blockbuster deal to a guy when you can make the argument that the other two have a higher ceiling. All I could do was shake my head at that.

I really liked Snacks I wish some other team signed him but the Giants.. As far as keeping your own the Pats seem to do it right since the beginning BB has let productive players leave like Lawyer Milloy,Samuel,Ty Law,Richard Seymour and Jones who had the same amount of sacks as Mo playing one year less.. And Mo got a bigger contract then Watt but as Gato says Mo is on the fast track to the HOF so he's worth it.. ;)

On October 28, 2016 at 5:51 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh I know I was kidding around, but yeah, I'm very disappointed in Bowles.  I get that HC's learn as they go in many ways, but can we ever just get a HC who "gets it" early on?  Do we have to wait till Year 4, or more realistically never get it?

Rex's first two years were impressive.

Archived