how much time do the coach and gm get?

kmnj

51 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

We're three drafts in and have no long-term answer at EDGE, LT, CB1, or WR1, and we're as far from a franchise QB as I can ever remember. Drafting Adams and Maye back-to-back is more baffling than anything the previous three GMs ever did. The pro personnel acquisitions have basically been Tannenbaum Lite. Literally every good thing that has happened to this franchise during his tenure has been the product of blind luck. It beggars the imagination that anyone is defending this guy.

44 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Looking at things pragmatically it's pretty bad. The roster has gotten progressively worse with every draft, and coming into this draft, the Jets had high picks in every single round and the roster really doesn't look that much better after they used them. That's just nuts. 

The fact that we are seriously rolling into 2017 with McCown for $6 million and the 2 bundt cakes at QB is the ultimate topper. 3 years in and this is what we have acquired? 

Not sure why you guys aren't understanding how amazing Charone Peake is.

19 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

I think Macc and the jets as a whole are a work in progress.  Will they have draft busts? Yes. Will they make mistakes in FA?  Yes. Will they have set backs with injury and players doing dumb sh*t? Yes.

Will they get better at this and ultimately succeed? Jury still out.

I have no idea whether all this will bring jets a championship as the odds are surely stacked against them however I do like the direction and doubt that will be derailed any time soon.

If they're headed for the toilet, wouldn't you want a derailment? 

I get the feeling that these guys don't feel like their jobs are on the line this year. If Bowles loses the locker room again, he may be sunk, but I think Mac is almost 100% guaranteed to be here next season. 

2 minutes ago, slats said:

I get the feeling that these guys don't feel like their jobs are on the line this year. If Bowles loses the locker room again, he may be sunk, but I think Mac is almost 100% guaranteed to be here next season. 

I've said this before and I'll say it again: the dumbest possible outcome would be firing Bowles and keeping Maccagnan, so I have no doubt that's exactly what Woody will do.

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I've said this before and I'll say it again: the dumbest possible outcome would be firing Bowles and keeping Maccagnan, so I have no doubt that's exactly what Woody will do.

Don't see how they're not tied at the hip, as Bowles is making the high draft choices anyways.

Why would you think that is the dumbest possible outcome just out of curiosity? Maccagan has done decent in his drafts, he brought in some decent young talent through free agency and via trades. He may not be the best gm in the nfl but he was a rookie at the job when we brought him in and I would take him over lots of other gms around the league the other thing to consider is he never got to choose his own coach which is something I feel every gm should have the opportunity to do. Also out of curiosity who would you replace them with and why would they want to come and be the new gm and hc of this team? I believe if you post something silly like this you should at least have an answer for that.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

23 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Why would you think that is the dumbest possible outcome just out of curiosity? Maccagan has done decent in his drafts, he brought in some decent young talent through free agency and via trades. He may not be the best gm in the nfl but he was a rookie at the job when we brought him in and I would take him over lots of other gms around the league the other thing to consider is he never got to choose his own coach which is something I feel every gm should have the opportunity to do. Also out of curiosity who would you replace them with and why would they want to come and be the new gm and hc of this team? I believe if you post something silly like this you should at least have an answer for that.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Maccagnan's drafts have been a disaster and his pro personnel moves have been even worse. The only way to make this team a bigger sh*theap than it already is is to give him the power to hire a coach. I don't keep a list of GM and HC candidates handy, so I'm not really sure how to answer that.

12 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Maccagnan's drafts have been a disaster and his pro personnel moves have been even worse. The only way to make this team a bigger sh*theap than it already is is to give him the power to hire a coach. I don't keep a list of GM and HC candidates handy, so I'm not really sure how to answer that.

I disagree with your belief that his drafts have been a disaster alot of the players on our roster have come from his drafts, i believe we have only cut one player drafted by macc and it was a fifth rounder. He has found decent value in the later rounds in players like Shell, Simon, and Peake and has done the correct thing in my opinion early in the draft by taking players like Leonard Williams and Jamal Adams instead of reaching deep for needs (Kevin White was a popular mock to us we took Leonard Williams who would you honestly rather have today). As for his free agent acquisitions he has been good at finding decent depth players as undrafted free agents like dion baily who is no longer with us, doug middleton, jalen marshall, robby anderson...He brought in Brandon marshall for a 5th round pick which at the time was a spectacular move for us...the fitzpatrick trade panned out well for us in his first year. I will not say he has been perfect as he has obviously made some mistakes when it comes to overpaying players (Revis, Harris, Fitz, maybe but hopefully not Wilk). The point is that we could certainly have it alot worse than Macc and if you believe he is bad enough that he absolutely needs to be replaced than you should probably have an idea of who you think will be better otherwise i think you should be careful what you wish for.

11 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I disagree with your belief that his drafts have been a disaster alot of the players on our roster have come from his drafts, i believe we have only cut one player drafted by macc and it was a fifth rounder. He has found decent value in the later rounds in players like Shell, Simon, and Peake and has done the correct thing in my opinion early in the draft by taking players like Leonard Williams and Jamal Adams instead of reaching deep for needs (Kevin White was a popular mock to us we took Leonard Williams who would you honestly rather have today). As for his free agent acquisitions he has been good at finding decent depth players as undrafted free agents like dion baily who is no longer with us, doug middleton, jalen marshall, robby anderson...He brought in Brandon marshall for a 5th round pick which at the time was a spectacular move for us...the fitzpatrick trade panned out well for us in his first year. I will not say he has been perfect as he has obviously made some mistakes when it comes to overpaying players (Revis, Harris, Fitz, maybe but hopefully not Wilk). The point is that we could certainly have it alot worse than Macc and if you believe he is bad enough that he absolutely needs to be replaced than you should probably have an idea of who you think will be better otherwise i think you should be careful what you wish for.

I'll start my search immediately

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

"Profoundly." That'd sting whomever it is you're looking to deride.

Not really looking to sting anyone, just laughing at the buffoonery displayed daily by a few with just zero self reflection capability. Not you though, you've never been wrong to the best of my knowledge.

Just now, NoBowles said:

Not really looking to sting anyone, just laughing at the buffoonery displayed daily by a few with just zero self reflection capability. Not you though, you've never been wrong to the best of my knowledge.

I've literally never been wrong. Thank you for acknowledging, my friend

I think the mistake some are making is considering Macc and Bowles together, which makes little sense since Macc didn't hire Bowles in the first place.  I think their performance will be viewed separately   

It's also easier IMO to evaluate a HC on a year to year basis as things like poor in-game decisions, lack of motivation of the players or broken locker rooms etc are pretty apparent immediately while evaluating draft classes and players takes more than a year or two.  I think Bowles is on the hot seat this year, but don't think Macc is, short of a large number of this years draft class totally bombing out in TC and I don't see that happening.

Archived