DIE DOUG DIE

Barton

Sorry, just watched NFL Network Game of The Week Jets/Steelers AFC Divisional Game

I am pathetic. I couldnt even eat while I was watching this nightmare all over again and I swear that each time I see Doug Brien line up for his 2nd field goal at the end of the game he'll make it. Ok, maybe not, but damn that was such a pathetic kick by brien. booted it like 50 yards left PATHETIC LITTLE ELF!!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't feel bad Barton.

Not only did I watch it I DVD it to go along with the Jets San Diego GOW. :shock:

As far as Brien is concerned. The difference between him staying and leaving was ONE INCH on the field goal that hit the cross bar. Another inch more and the Jets are playing for the AFC Championship.

As much as I would love to kill Brien, I really can't. Herm had a chance to go for the kill and he basically pulled a Schottenheimer.

I disagree. We would have had just as good a chance as anyone to beat them. Remember.....Any given Sunday.

Look you guys have your way of dealing with the Steelers loss and I have mine, we never would of beaten the Patriots, Ok! :cry:

Look you guys have your way of dealing with the Steelers loss and I have mine, we never would of beaten the Patriots, Ok! :cry:

With that doofus of an OC, probably not. I still would've shown up, though. Maybe Hendu would've pulled it out like what should've happened in PITT. That's why they play the game.

Sorry, just watched NFL Network Game of The Week Jets/Steelers AFC Divisional Game

I am pathetic. I couldnt even eat while I was watching this nightmare all over again and I swear that each time I see Doug Brien line up for his 2nd field goal at the end of the game he'll make it. Ok, maybe not, but damn that was such a pathetic kick by brien. booted it like 50 yards left PATHETIC LITTLE ELF!!

I watched it as well. It was horrible but in some ways good closure for the end of last season. Amazing that after everything that the Defense did (2 ints, 1 fumble recovery) that our kicker couldn't make a simple kick, twice.

Anyway, time to move on to bigger and better things. 2005 will see the return of that great defense, our healthy QB, some new weapons on offense and a bunch of young, quick players as SS/FS/CB.

Oh yeah, and a brand new kicker.

:)

BZ

The one thing that will always stick in my craw about that whole stretch.

In their last two losses (Rams and Steelers) the Jets got a Special Teams and a defensive Touchdown in EACH game and LOST them both.

Only the Jets could do that.

Did anyone see Curtis Martin's reaction right after the Steelers kicked that winning FG. I have never seen Martin react in that kind of matter. That is why I love NFL films.

While it's nice and simple to blame the kicker,

if the Offense scored more then 3 points it would

not have mattered!! Moss scored and Tongue also and

their both gone as well as Brien..And lets not forget

Paul"Love my Cumar" Hackett!! Now we have a OC that

cares about the Team not just the stats of a single player ! =D>

Finally a voice of REASON! I completely agree and if the HC had some insight he would have taken steps to ensure that CHAD did not lose yards on that stupid play rather then losing them as he did. Lets place blame where it really lies! HERM SUCKS! =D>

Hermy was responsible for losing that game.

Not Doug Brien.

Sorry dude. When the kicker missed TWICE to win the game. You blame the kicker.

BZ

Hermy was responsible for losing that game.

Not Doug Brien.

So I guess Vinatari had nothing to do with your wins either. He shouldn't even have gotten a Super Bowl.

Let me put it this way. If the kicker kicks the game winning goal is called the hero, if he misses, it is his fault.

In this case, not only did he miss the game winner ONCE which would be a Christie type of horrible miss, but he missed it TWICE which take all the blame and puts it on him.

Not saying he need to be burned at the stake, but he clearly wasn't able to produce when the game was on the line (or at least needed multiple chances to do so).

For Dougie, it was a mental thing, not a talent or leg thing.

And for all this offense crap. Did you SEE the Steelerrs defense?

BZ

We would have beaten the damn patriots too, IMO.

Count me in the group that would have given the Jets a fighting chance to win that game. There was a major blizzard going on in Bahston that day, which would have neutralized some of the patsies' edge. The ball bounces funny in a snowstorm. Would have been a low scoring affair, a couple of TOs and...

I guess in your fantasy world he was. When your kicker misses 2 kicks in the final 2 minutes of the game, it's his fault. No debate. No BS. It's Brien's fault.

So you're saying that, even with the knowledge that your kicker can't make a 40+ FG, not to mention in Heinz Field, where NO ONE makes those kicks, that no fault can be blamed on the man in charge?

For all the blame put on Brien for the missed kick (and he deserves much of it), the first field goal attempt of 43 yards would have matched the longest at Heinz field all year. That is knowledge that the head coach should be aware of. Because of the fact that he should have known that, they should have moved in closer and tried to make a possible 35 yarder or less instead of a 40, becuase with a 40 yarder, you know what Brien is thinking...he doesn't miss another one short, and when that happens he pulls it a solid 20 yards wide. Poor planning on Edwards and Westhoff's part for not getting in a good situation, but Brien has put the ball between the uprights.

Herm, Chad and Curtis all played a huge roll in losing that game.

Seriously, Doug Brien...who's been an average kicker his entire career, depending on him to hit two tough kicks on the worst field in the league isnt easy.

Apparently the NFL's leading rusher and our golden boy QB couldnt muster up more than 3 points.

Herm, Chad and Curtis all played a huge roll in losing that game.

Seriously, Doug Brien...who's been an average kicker his entire career, depending on him to hit two tough kicks on the worst field in the league isnt easy.

Apparently the NFL's leading rusher and our golden boy QB couldnt muster up more than 3 points.

2004 Playoffs:

Curtis Martin: 3.9 yards per carry, 0 TD's

For all the blame put on Brien for the missed kick (and he deserves much of it), the first field goal attempt of 43 yards would have matched the longest at Heinz field all year. That is knowledge that the head coach should be aware of. Because of the fact that he should have known that, they should have moved in closer and tried to make a possible 35 yarder or less instead of a 40, becuase with a 40 yarder, you know what Brien is thinking...he doesn't miss another one short, and when that happens he pulls it a solid 20 yards wide. Poor planning on Edwards and Westhoff's part for not getting in a good situation, but Brien has put the ball between the uprights.

Good point. I remember thinking that way as well. No way in hell Cowher would have wanted Reed kicking in that predicament. That is one tough place to kick, especially going towards that endzone.

It is amazing how much hindsight and coaching ability this board has.

Sounds like if we only played Lamont we would be sitting around with Super Bowl rings.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.....

The truth is, we were out played that game and the Steelers have an incredible defense. We had a chance at winning it but Dougie Fresh kicked it wide. He had the distance so don't pull this "Herm this or Herm that" the point is, he choked. He choked like he choked for those last three games.

Again, if he had that thing you would all have been calling him the hero of the year. Well, if he misses it he has to take the blame.

BZ

2004 Playoffs:

Curtis Martin: 3.9 yards per carry, 0 TD's

I got to stick up for my main man Cumar here!!

Since Hermie the Horrible has been Head Chef of

the Jets Martin has avg 4.6 in the playoffs and

had a 106 yd game vs the Raiders in 01!! Of course

he hasn't scored a playoff TD since the 98 Denver

Championship Game where he also wowed us with a

fumble and 14 yds rushing!! Scoring doesn't matter

to us Martinette's only the fact that he's our back

until he's at least 50 and the stats they keep a

piling up!! :mrgreen:

Yep. A Lombardi Trophy would tend to raise the bar on a man's value.

That Lombardi wouldn't taste as sweet... now, if they win it this year, I'll be among the rioters.. which makes it that much more sweet :lol:

But, damn they're dumb... dumb! Let's go with the guy who has two bad ankles and who we rode into the ground, instead of the guy who's as fresh as fresh can be, not doing anything over the 4 years he's been in the league. Gotta love that 'brain' trust.

The steelers kicker nailed a 40+ yarder in the 1st quarter I believe, and also in the 1st half Brien nailed a fairly long field goal (not sure exactly how long) with plenty of leg on it

Doug Choked

If you're Herm would you seriously call for a pass up the middle or on the sidelines against the steelers LBs, Safetys and Corners who are known to jump routes? I dont think so

And for all this offense crap. Did you SEE the Steelerrs defense?

BZ

You mean the exact same defense that the Pats easily hung 41 on the very next weekend?

Brady absolutely lit up that defense with ease, PennyBoy couldn't do crap.

Weak arguement BZ, very weak.

Archived