Was Mangini fired too hastily?

sirlancemehlot

Sh!!!!!!T... I wanted woody to come down on the field during the Seattle game and fire his ass....We won those games on talent alone, that can only take you so far just as coaching can only take u so far. We need to get a good balance.

Enough with marketing your website here. If you'd like to purchase ad space, please PM Max.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets see this year the Jets .....

* ... were the least injured team in the NFL.

*... had the 7th easiest SOS (based on current year schedule)

* ... chief divisional rival was one of the most injured teams in the NFL losing the league MVP during the first quarter of the first week, also losing best defensive player on the team to IR and at times need to rely on their fourth string running back.

*... was extremely aggressive in free agency, including acquiring a future first round HOF QB.

*... had a franchise record 7 pro-bowlers on the team.

* ... had the the 6th draft pick.

If that isn't enough to win the division (or at least come in second in the division) please tell me what else must go right for the Jets to pull it off.

Instead they lost the division to a team that last year went 1-15 and whose best positional upgrade was a player they picked up off the Jets trash pile.

What more could Mangini have hoped for?

* ... chief divisional rival was one of the most injured teams in the NFL losing the league MVP during the first quarter of the first week, also losing best defensive player on the team to IR and at times need to rely on their fourth string running back.

*... was extremely aggressive in free agency, including acquiring a future first round HOF QB.

If that isn't enough to win the division (or at least come in second in the division) please tell me what else must go right for the Jets to pull it off.

Instead they lost the division to a team that last year went 1-15 and whose best positional upgrade was a player they picked up off the Jets trash pile.

holy ****. when you you put it that way, it's hard to defend the fat bastard.

Finally, a Chowd who isn't being a hypocritical POS.

REX will be an improvement over EM that i know

he knows how to run a D and make a gameplan, EM failed miserably in NE

at DC and mumbles had to bail him out

that was the "sign" that we should have steered clear away from Pizza boy.

He knows how to run a D?

Of course he does, because I am sure he is the reason Ngata, Ray Lewis, Bart Scott, Terrell Suggs, Chris McAlister, Samari Rolle and Ed Reed are all-pro caliber players.

You also need to look at the Patriots for a cautionary reasons that could apply to Ryan. Funny how Charley is a little less genius like without Brady throwing the ball.

Don't play the fool (although you do it so well).

This is your previous post:

You were simply wrong, admit it.

Penny didn't "miss" half the season. He injured his ankle week 1, missed game 2, and then played IN EVERY GAME until the team was 1-7.

The fact is that the 1986 team was decimated by injuries while the 2008 team was not. You tried to argue (in a complete BS defense of Mangini whom you and your brethren have killed since he left the Pats) that Mangini's 4-12 embarrasment had to do with Chad "missing" half the 2007 season.

That's completely false. So, again, admit you're wrong and move on.

I said ok to your argument about being benched versus poor performance due to the ankle. :confused:

Do you want a cookie as well? :rolleyes:

There is one possibility for a good answer that doesn't speak badly about Ryan. (I'm not saying this IS the answer, but it's not far-fetched):

He is such a good DC that they didn't want to lose that by making him HC and having someone lesser oversee the defense, just so Ryan could oversee both the defense AND the offense AND some special teams, instead of sticking with that they know he's good at.

The Jets, by comparison, do not have that situation at DC in place.

That could be very true.

He could be like Dungy who had several HC interviews despite his superior qualifications before being hired as a HC. Like I said previously, maybe he is a bad interview.

Ryan was fired by the Ravens when Billick was canned. He interviewed with the Ravens as well as with the Dolphins. Obviously, did not get both. The Ravens offered the job to Jason Garrett who declined before settling on their 6th guy interviewed.

I am just saying buyer beware.

Finally, a Chowd who isn't being a hypocritical POS.

+1

Outside of gwagh and garb, it seems all of the pats* fans that were talking about how crappy mangini was (when he was pats dc and jets hc) and called him names like "ratgini" became huge mangini fans when he became a former jet.

This means one of two things:

1) They come to jet boards with the sole purpose of antagonizing jet fans

2) They are such blind homers that they believe anything their morally bankrupt team does is good and anything their rivals do is bad and will not work out.

Which is it?

+1

Outside of gwagh and garb, it seems all of the pats* fans that were talking about how crappy mangini was (when he was pats dc and jets hc) and called him names like "ratgini" became huge mangini fans when he became a former jet.

I wasn't all that impressed with Mangini when he was with the Patriots (although I did wish him the best back then). Not impressed with what he did with the Jets. And full expect that the Browns will suck this year.

That being said, so far I am not exactly wowed by how the Jets have gone about finding his replacement nor are dealing with cancer quarterback.

I wasn't all that impressed with Mangini when he was with the Patriots (although I did wish him the best back then). Not impressed with what he did with the Jets. And full expect that the Browns will suck this year.

That being said, so far I am not exactly wowed by how the Jets have gone about finding his replacement nor are dealing with cancer quarterback.[/quote]

Coming from you ? Who cares? :P

That being said, so far I am not exactly wowed by how the Jets have gone about finding his replacement nor are dealing with cancer quarterback.

Um, as far as getting their coach, what if their first choice is Rex Ryan. What would you have them do differently. :rolleyes:

You make some great points, but who made the Favre move?

IMHO that was the biggest reason for the Jets crashing and burning. While their D had clear issues, Frave had a 53.3 QB rating in December.

If it was Mangini, then he received his just deserts. If it was Tannebaum, Mangini was the scape goat for that abortion of a move.

IMHO that was the biggest reason for the Jets crashing and burning. While their D had clear issues, Frave had a 53.3 QB rating in December.

If it was Mangini, then he received his just deserts. If it was Tannebaum, Mangini was the scape goat for that abortion of a move.

Well, I guess that depends on what Mangini said in April and August. If EM was lobbying to trading down and taking Mayo instead of Gholston and was opposed to Favre trade then I would agree he was a scapegoat. If he supported those moves and still couldn't win, then I stand by my summary.

Favre was Woody Johnson. Eric and Mike wouldn't have had the balls to suggest it without prodding from Woody.

I say Mangini had to go. Some players didn't believe in how he ran things and I'm sure

there are many players that just didn't say anything. Now that we've seen how things

can spiral out of control it would have surely made sense for Mangini to pull Favre & Jenkins out of a few games. Being so close in the division at the time must of made that hard but a plan for success shouldn't involve a hurt 39 year old Quarterback to keep

playing and getting hit and continue to get worse as weeks go on and be ineffective at

the time anyway along with Jenkins who was hurt and pretty much ineffective in several late season games too but they were both out there gettin beat up. Had these two had

better time to rest .. we'd would've seen a playoff spot. I don't think we could've gotten very far but 1 playoff game I think we could've gotten to. Mangini isn't the proper coach

to coach a guy like Favre.. especially when Favre is in a lets-get-50-yards-every-play mode. It would have really helped for Mangini to have some balls and step up to Favre

instead of letting him do what ever he wants and keep the guy in there to continue down

a train-wreck-waiting-to-happen situation. Late in the season when Favre stepped on the field, it literally looked like he never left the field from the last game. He looked wiped out

and surely not capable of carrying the team for 4 quarters. This is where a head coach has to step in and take control. I'm a Favre fan and everything but it really would've helped

the team for him to be benched for awhile. In preseason & early season he had plenty

of arm strength(50 yarder to Cotchery in preseason AND miami game) but in late season it just wasn't there and Mangini failed to fix any of it for the rest of the season.

He just couldn't fix problems. Every time there was an issue with the team or a player, it never got resolved. The "statistics" say we should P-R-E-V-E-N-T Mangini from coaching for the Jets again.

:confused:

no, you're experiencing a form of sellers remorse. now that it is gone, you wonder if it was the right decision

but don't re write history to make it conform to your new view

woody is not over bearing, the personnel had 7 pro-bowlers and 3 all -pro, and he won the coin toss in NE and was the beneficiary of this

Whoa Hoss! I don't have a new view and the history is what it is--no re-write. My original post stated that we might, as an organization and as fans, be quick on the trigger in our assessment of talent and/or value to the team. We've been bitterly dissapointed so often that we expect the worst and are hyper-critical. Coles gets hated-on because he wants to make money, we hated Thomas Jones when he went all season with only 1 TD. We want everyone fired, traded, beaten with a stick. And I'm right there with all of you. Was Mangini a casualty of our decades of desperation? That was my only question, left up to debate and discussion. The board seems fairly split on the issue.

Mangini isn't the proper coach

to coach a guy like Favre.. especially when Favre is in a lets-get-50-yards-every-play mode. It would have really helped for Mangini to have some balls and step up to Favre

instead of letting him do what ever he wants and keep the guy in there to continue down a train-wreck-waiting-to-happen situation .

Mangini did tell Favre to stop putting it all on 20. Trouble is that Favre has played the Gambler his whole career. Its too late for him to change at this point and be the consertative type.

Archived