Which Players Currently On The Roster Are You Done With?

SoFlaJets

JF80 makes a great point, however, that that doesn't happen because good teams with good GMs are usually drafting late in the draft. The great players are brought in by first sucking the prior year (Brick/Ngata/Raji), draft trades (Mangold/Revis/Harris/Matthews) or rabbits foot up your a$$ (Brady).

So the point is, the odds are greatly stacked against the Jets from drafting another great player unless the Jets having a bad season.

Absolutely, studs are more likely to be found at the top, but considering he's effed up at all ends of the 1st, I'm not sure why he gets a pass in that regard.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought Wilson looked great on Sunday. Not sure where the disdain towards Wilkerson comes from either.

As a nickel he seemed to take care of his man and was good on pursuit. They aren't trusting him with CB#2 but I see progress.As to Wilkerson and any DL guy, people tend to boil it down to sacks because they don't really bother watching the trenches. And if you do, you tend to miss out on the other players. FOund myself watching either Ware or Burress when the Jets were on offense. Was clear early Jets had no way to stop him, and that Burress with a lot of 1 on 1 was going to make some plays.

Absolutely, studs are more likely to be found at the top, but considering he's effed up at all ends of the 1st, I'm not sure why he gets a pass in that regard.

What first round picks has he effed up besides Gholston?

Wilkerson played well on Sunday.

Yes he did...If you noticed, almost any time they blitzed up the middle, it was in between Wilk and Pouha.

That said, he looks like one of those guys that is going to take a minute to put it all together. In the game and in the preseason...he tends to over pursue on runs. I'm not sure if its because he doesnt know his strength to speed so he gets out infront of plays or if he's being suckered in. However, he doesnt stop moving, if he blows by a runner, he's still working to try and catch him. In passing situations, he's was doing his job of occupying blockers to open lanes for the LB'ers.

Jeez, a little harsh no? I mean, Wilkerson has played 1 game, Ellis wasnt even active. Wilson is a 2nd year player who played lights out the other night. How bout we give the more recent draft picks some time to pan out before we start claiming Tanny has busted out in the draft lately? While I get there's "no evidence" of them becoming players, there's also no evidence of them not.

I thought the rule was to give a draft three years? Now we are going to claim the GM is sh*t because there isn't any evidence that first and second year players will turn inot studs?

Thought Wilson looked great on Sunday. Not sure where the disdain towards Wilkerson comes from either.

I was being literal, i.e., there's not enough evidence to assume anything about the youngsters, good or bad.

JiF asked it, but it bears repeating--what 1st rounders other than Gholston did he "eff" up?

These are Tannebaum's 1st rounders:

DBrick

Mangold

Revis

Gholston

Keller

Sanchez

Wilson

MoWilk

Where are the "eff ups"???

JiF asked it, but it bears repeating--what 1st rounders other than Gholston did he "eff" up?

DBrick

Mangold

Revis

Gholston

Keller

Sanchez

Wilson

MoWilk

I count at least 1, maybe 2.

Regardless, kind of makes the point about him not ever drafting at the top a little moot, no?

DBrick

Mangold

Revis

Gholston

Keller

Sanchez

Wilson

MoWilk

The only one I was thinking he could be referring to besides Gholston is Keller. I'll admitt, I was dead set against Gholston and when I hear the Jets were trading up, I thought for sure they were going to make up for such a blunder and draft Desean Jackson. When they announced Keller, I was perplexed, especially because we need a WR so badly at that time. That said, I think he's a good player. People are way harsh on him around here, but I think he's better than we think just not worked into every game plan properly.

I count at least 1, maybe 2.

Regardless, kind of makes the point about him not ever drafting at the top a little moot, no?

No, because, LOL, he drafted HOF talent at the top.

And who are the 2? Name them. Who are the "eff ups"?

You claimed that he doesn't have the opportunity to draft at the top. 2 out of the past 4 drafts he did. He bombed one of them. That's bad. Not sure why it's a sin to acknowledge this.

He absolutely bombed on Gholston but that entire first round was awful.

You claimed that he doesn't have the opportunity to draft at the top. 2 out of the past 4 drafts he did. He bombed one of them. That's bad. Not sure why it's a sin to acknowledge this.

Of course he bombed on Gholston. Who's denying that? Draft busts happen.

And with Sanchez he TRADED up into the top. That's not an every draft opportunity. In 6 drafts the Jets have had 2 top 10 picks and a 3rd time they traded up.

Also, you didn't name the 2 eff ups.

The only one I was thinking he could be referring to besides Gholston is Keller. I'll admitt, I was dead set against Gholston and when I hear the Jets were trading up, I thought for sure they were going to make up for such a blunder and draft Desean Jackson. When they announced Keller, I was perplexed, especially because we need a WR so badly at that time. That said, I think he's a good player. People are way harsh on him around here, but I think he's better than we think just not worked into every game plan properly.

I think your memory is off. Keller was drafted 30th overall while Jackson was taken 19 slots later. Why would the Jets trade up into the late 1st to take a player who ended up going at the end of the 2nd round?

Are you thinking about another player?

Look, I love Tannenbaum, he's awesome. But there's been a significant drop-off in the level of talent he's drafted when comparing his first two year's at the helm. There's no agenda behind that statement, there's no argument to be had, it's just information. Most would agree that it's fact. Yes, it's worrisome. Pretty sure that's all that's being said here.

Wilson will probably good. Ditto for Wilkerson. Neither have been as good immediately out of the gate as their predecessors have been. It's not a dick-move to point this out.

And with Sanchez he TRADED up into the top. That's not an every draft opportunity. In 6 drafts the Jets have had 2 top 10 picks and a 3rd time they traded up.

Also, you didn't name the 2 eff ups.

Gholston and Gholston. He counts twice because he was an eff up for 2 different coaching staffs.

Look, I love Tannenbaum, he's awesome. But there's been a significant drop-off in the level of talent he's drafted when comparing his first two year's at the helm. There's no agenda behind that statement, there's no argument to be had, it's just information. Most would agree that it's fact. Yes, it's worrisome. Pretty sure that's all that's being said here.

Wilson will probably good. Ditto for Wilkerson. Neither have been as good immediately out of the gate as their predecessors have been. It's not a dick-move to point this out.

I know you don't have an Atenesque agenda.

I get what you're saying, but the fault in what you're saying is that it ignores the problem of relativity. In Tannenbaum's first 2 drafts he selcted THREE potential HOFers in Mangold, Revis, and DBrick, plus an all-pro caliber player in Harris.

You know how ridiculous that is? The Jets hadn't drafted a HOF player in over 40 yrs and they potentially get 3 in 2 yrs. That's winning the lottery while getting a blow job by Scarlett Johansen. You're criticizing Tannebaum for failling to repeat the impossible. It's like a career year for a great player. Is Brady going to get criticized for not passing for 50 TDs every year?

So, absolutely, there is going to be a drop off in draft considering how high Tannenbaum achieved early on. GMs don't draft HOF players every year. Tannenbaum could be the best GM in the NFL and I doubt he'd ever draft another HOF caliber player here on out.

I love them all. But if pressed to respond, I'd go with Mason. He looked like a little old man on Sunday night. I'm thinking that if he can't step up then he will essentially be replaced by Cumberland or Keller in the slot.

But Rex said Mason will have close to 100 receptions this season.

I know you don't have an Atenesque agenda.

I don't even know what this means. Data, data, big words, big words, numbers numbers? My bad, I'll make points in Ricky Bobby-speak from here on out.

I get what you're saying, but the fault in what you're saying is that it ignores the problem of relativity. In Tannenbaum's first 2 drafts he selcted THREE potential HOFers in Mangold, Revis, and DBrick, plus an all-pro caliber player in Harris.

You know how ridiculous that is?

With all due respect, Mr. Dennit, I had no idea you'd gotten experimental surgery to have your balls removed.

he never said that

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/15/rex-ryan-thinks-derrick-mason-will-get-90-100-catches/

Try 90 to 100 catches.

That’s what Jets head coach Rex Ryan thinks Mason will do in the Jets’ offense this season, according to ESPN’s Suzy Kolber, who interviewed Ryan before tonight’s Jets preseason opener.

“Adding Derrick Mason is huge,” Ryan said. “I don’t know if people realize how big that is.”

typical PFT bull spit-nowhere does Rex Ryan say Mason will get ANY amount of catches-I highlighted the only quote from Rex in that article

Rex Ryan thinks Derrick Mason will get 90-100 catches

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 15, 2011, 6:12 PM EDT

r-ryanfrown.jpg?w=205 AP

As a starter in Baltimore last year, Derrick Mason caught 61 passes. So now that Mason is a No. 3 receiver in New York, what kind of production are the Jets expecting of him?

Try 90 to 100 catches.

That’s what Jets head coach Rex Ryan thinks Mason will do in the Jets’ offense this season, according to ESPN’s Suzy Kolber, who interviewed Ryan before tonight’s Jets preseason opener.

“Adding Derrick Mason is huge,” Ryan said. “I don’t know if people realize how big that is.”

Mason has topped 90 catches three times, including a career-high 103 catches in 2007 — a season that Ryan saw up close as a Ravens assistant. But to think Mason could get into that range this year, at age 37, is awfully farfetched.

And it’s even more farfetched to think Mason could do it in the Jets’ offense, which is still run-first, pass-second, and which spreads the ball around so much that no one caught more than 55 balls last year. Mason probably won’t become Mark Sanchez’s favorite receiver, but even if he does, he’s not catching 90 or more passes while Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress, Dustin Keller, Shonn Greene and LaDainian Tomlinson are all hoping to get their share of the catches as well.

It’s not exactly breaking news to say that Ryan sometimes goes overboard when he’s talking up his team, but to predict that Mason will get close to 100 catches this season is a bit much even for Rex.

DBrick

Mangold

Revis

Gholston

Keller

Sanchez

Wilson

MoWilk

last 3 are unknown .. Keller is an f up... I think I remember talk of desean Jackson there

I got your joke but he's on a pace for 48 for 304. That's pretty weak, but it's not far off Cotchery's 2010. Not good, but let's not shovel dirt on him just yet.

I actually agree with you on it. just couldn't resist the joke. :P I think it's too early to bury Mason. Besides, my expectations for him were low to begin with, he can be a good possession receiver with great hands, which is fine with me, since that's basically all we need from him.

Don't know how we can all agree the Oline has been crappy and still blame Greene for a poor showing. We've had some great lines in the past and they've made the likes of Thomas Jones and Lamont Jordan and even an aged, injured CMart look very good. Now...oline=underperforming. Running game will suffer. No back is any better than the line allows. Well, Barry Sanders maybe. But that's about it.

DBrick

Mangold

Revis

Gholston

Keller

Sanchez

Wilson

MoWilk

3 good picks are obvious

2 bad picks, Gholston and Wilson are dissapointments

2 decent picks in Keller and Sanchez (though at #4 you could call him dissapointing so far)

1 Pick is a complete unknown.

Not stellar. But good enough. Granted the numbers swing toward the negative as you would hope to have a higher "hit" percentage, but I think the caliber of Mangold Revis and Brick even things out.

3 good picks are obvious

2 bad picks, Gholston and Wilson are dissapointments

2 decent picks in Keller and Sanchez (though at #4 you could call him dissapointing so far)

1 Pick is a complete unknown.

Not stellar. But good enough. Granted the numbers swing toward the negative as you would hope to have a higher "hit" percentage, but I think the caliber of Mangold Revis and Brick even things out.

You are calling Wilson a bad pick after one year? Are you f'n kidding me? I'm just curious, did you actually watch Sunday's game, because he played fantastically. I swear, these days it's as if a guy isn't an All Pro from day one then he's a massive bust. Give me a break.

You are calling Wilson a bad pick after one year? Are you f'n kidding me? I'm just curious, did you actually watch Sunday's game, because he played fantastically. I swear, these days it's as if a guy isn't an All Pro from day one then he's a massive bust. Give me a break.

Well... he has been a disappointment. That's still a long way from being able to call the guy a bad pick already.

Yeah he's a bad pick. Not a bust. he can contribute, unlike Gholston. But he has fundemental issues and poor instincts. As a fouth round pick he'd be a decent value, as a first rounder he's a bad pick. Just being objective.

Yeah he's a bad pick. Not a bust. he can contribute, unlike Gholston. But he has fundemental issues and poor instincts. As a fouth round pick he'd be a decent value, as a first rounder he's a bad pick. Just being objective.

Is this analysis based on anything past the first 4 games of last season? I will never understand why seem people seem excited to have the ability to sh*t all over a player as quickly as possible. The guy improved greatly over the course of last year but all we heard about from most fans all offseason was the first game of his rookie year, and when he was having a great camp and start to preseason people begrudgingly gave him credit until they were quick to embrace the opportunity to tear him apart again after a rough outing in the preseason finale. It's ridiculous, the guy has been in the NFL for one year, and has absolutely shown flashes of being a pretty damn good player, having the best game of his career just 4 days ago. Not all first rounders are going to Brick, Mangold or Revis from day one, but that certainly doesn't make them bad players.

Archived