Wayne Hunter: Our best run-blocker through 2 weeks?

Jetsfan80

According to Football Outsiders, this may be a true statement. The most success we've had running the ball is off right tackle, where the Jets rank 17th in the NFL.

This compared to 24th off right end, 26th up the middle, 23rd off left tackle, and 30th off left end.

Small sample size, yes, but perhaps the criticism of Hunter, especially given his success late last season, is a bit harsh. Especially when the offensive line as a unit isn't doing its job in the running game (28th in the NFL overall in run-blocking), meaning Hunter is certainly not the only culprit.

Offensive line numbers on FO: http://www.footballo...rs.com/stats/ol

I normally give a player the benefit of the doubt if he has performed well in the past, but I have a hard time finding anything positive about Hunter's play the first two weeks. Actaully the entire offensive line has sucked. I watched the Jags game again last night and on one series Sanchez ended up on his a$$ on 5 straight plays. That said, I think it is a matter of getting reps and eventually jelling, hopefully by the time the ravens and pats games roll around.

That said, I think it is a matter of getting reps and eventually jelling, hopefully by the time the ravens and pats games roll around.

I don't know that the failure to "gel" is the problem. I mean, this is the same unit and same coaching staff that we had at the end of last year (sans Mangold at the moment). If a lack of training camp was to blame, that should be affecting all 32 teams and especially the ones who have new faces.

I normally give a player the benefit of the doubt if he has performed well in the past, but I have a hard time finding anything positive about Hunter's play the first two weeks. Actaully the entire offensive line has sucked. I watched the Jags game again last night and on one series Sanchez ended up on his a$$ on 5 straight plays. That said, I think it is a matter of getting reps and eventually jelling, hopefully by the time the ravens and pats games roll around.

The bold portion says it all. We've gone from the penthouse to the outhouse so far as OL play is concerned.

The offset due to Moore. FO groups center/guard runs in either direction as one stat. The tackle number they provide goes between tackle and guard. This is really nothing different for us because we've always run predominantly to the right because of how beastly Moore is. PFF has been tracking Hunter on his own for the past 2 weeks and he's been absolutely awful. He gave up a hit and 3 pressures this week, and that was actually an improvement over what he did against Dallas. This is not even taking into account the penalty yards. He's at something like a -6.0, and keep in mind that their standard deviations from 0 are usually only 1 to 1.5.

The offset due to Moore. FO groups center/guard runs in either direction as one stat. The tackle number they provide goes between tackle and guard. This is really nothing different for us because we've always run predominantly to the right because of how beastly Moore is. PFF has been tracking Hunter on his own for the past 2 weeks and he's been absolutely awful. He gave up a hit and 3 pressures this week, and that was actually an improvement over what he did against Dallas. This is not even taking into account the penalty yards. He's at something like a -6.0, and keep in mind that their standard deviations from 0 are usually only 1 to 1.5.

That is hideous.

offensive line is a brutal position - you can play great for 40 plays but make 1 or 2 mistakes that's all people remember

He's played in about 70-80 pass plays. Of that, he's given up 9 pressures, 2 hits, and a sack. That is really, really, really bad. Way beyond a couple bad days at the office. I'm sure you'll spout out some sort of benign generality as a retort to this, but whatever.

Well According to Pro Football Focus who rank players on each play, the entire line except Mangold is rating negatively

stats.png

Yeah, Brick's generally ranked always around the fringe in run blocking. Their sd's generally go about 1-1.5 from their positional means, the problem is that Moore, Mangold, and Woody generally would offset this. The problem is that Hunter has been so incredibly bad and Woody was so incredibly good in the run game. I thought losing Turner could possibly be disastrous if it happened and it turns out it has.

That's a good point. Didn't know they did that about RG/RT.

there are better stats to determine a Olineman's play.

There are way too many other factors in play in just how the team did in runs towards that players position.

Was there a TE or 2 lined up there, a trap, misdirection, overstacked line the other way, etc. The list can go on.

And the post about Moore was spot on.

Or teams are just taken completely by surprise on the rare occasions when we don't run it straight up the gut every time.

Oh, that tricky Schottenheimer.

It seems like we give away downs. And NEVER run outside, spare the occasions the back has no choice but to go left or right since the middle has no real holes.

I don't know that the failure to "gel" is the problem. I mean, this is the same unit and same coaching staff that we had at the end of last year (sans Mangold at the moment). If a lack of training camp was to blame, that should be affecting all 32 teams and especially the ones who have new faces.

Moore had no game action in the pre-season so game 1 was the first action that the entire line had together. Cohesiveness is key with the offensive line and that comes with repetition, maybe some teams just got out of the gate more quickly. That said, even though the OL has been garbage, we are still 2-0 so no blood, no foul. So far.

yikes. I knew it was bad, but when you see that you see how silly the sanchez/greene debates are

It's amazing to think that Hunter is the worst starting OLineman in the NFL the first 2 weeks of the year. It's like the triple crown of suck--gets QB killed, can't run block & killer penalties.

Archived