Longtime Jets Fan 1960-NAMATH

Schmidt

I have loved the Jets since they were the Titans in the Polo Grounds with a LB named Wahoo McDaniels! I watched Joe as a rookie and what excitement! Joe had a ROCKET arm and had to let up on his "overthrowing" velocity. Joe was the best a true JET, but now he has to shut up...he has too much to say for a guy who stole the "Guarantee" from his own locker room! Go back and check out the stories...I was in Southeast Asia when they played in Miami for the Super Bowl and listened on Armed Forces Radio! He, during that season lost to the Raiders in the "Heidi" game! Joe, as a season ticket holder during ALL (Dad had my tickets when I was serving in the USAF) the Shea stadium days....you owe me for EVERY game you showed up for STONE COLD DRUNK! That’s a fact...fellow teammates couldn't believe the condition you were in for some games! Hey Joe how about all your losses and interceptions???? IF the media was as bad as it is today you would have been run out of this town!!!! So Shut-The-F-UP! And throw your support behind the ONE Coach who has given us any hope since you showed up DRUNK for those games!!!!

JOE'S JET SEASON RECORDS

NFL

New York Jets

3 11 0

NFL

New York Jets

3 11 0

NFL

New York Jets

7 7 0

NFL

New York Jets

4 10 0

NFL

New York Jets

7 7 0

NFL

New York Jets

6 8 0

NFL

New York Jets

4 10 0

AFL

New York Jets*

10 4 0

AFL

New York Jets*

11 3 0

AFL

New York Jets

8 5 1

AFL

New York Jets

6 6 2

AFL

New York Jets

5 8 1

74 WINS 90 LOSSES 4 TIES

Dude, how the F*** did he get into the Hall with those numbers? that "guarantee" really set his career it seems like.

It was a different era back then. Defense were allowed to hit people. Anyway, SBIII is unquestionably his legacy... it was the game that made the NFL.

Regardless, his stats have nothing to do with his soundbytes from this week.

Dude, how the F*** did he get into the Hall with those numbers? that "guarantee" really set his career it seems like.

That guarantee probably made football what it is today.

Without that guarantee the Super Bowl would never have been the Super Bowl as we know it today.

Who knows what would have happened to the merger if that guarantee had not been made and kept to its word.

For that alone he deserves a place in the HOF!

JOE'S JET SEASON RECORDS

NFL

New York Jets

3 11 0

NFL

New York Jets

3 11 0

NFL

New York Jets

7 7 0

NFL

New York Jets

4 10 0

NFL

New York Jets

7 7 0

NFL

New York Jets

6 8 0

NFL

New York Jets

4 10 0

AFL

New York Jets*

10 4 0

AFL

New York Jets*

11 3 0

AFL

New York Jets

8 5 1

AFL

New York Jets

6 6 2

AFL

New York Jets

5 8 1

74 WINS 90 LOSSES 4 TIES

You're quoting the Jets record in those years, not Namath's. His Jet career record was 62-62-4.

Namath missed most of the 1970, 1971, and 1973 seasons due to injury... In 1974-76, the Jets sucked big time (think Kotite era), he could hardly walk and was even a miracle he was on the field.

If you're going to gauge how good a QB is purely by statistics alone, than neither I nor anyone else will be able to convince you of how good he was.

He's one of those players you had to see play in his prime, before injuries ravaged a brilliant athlete.

Was he the greatest QB ever. No. He may have been had his body not broken down at a very young age.

But was he one of the top 20 in history to play the position? Anyone who saw him play will say "yes".

"Almost the perfect passer"... Vince Lombardi.

"The smartest QB I ever saw"... Don Shula.

"The greatest athlete I ever coached" ... Bear Bryant.

"A player that tips the field" ... Al Davis.

"One of the top 5 quarterbacks I ever saw"... John Madden.

"Remarkable, never saw a QB like him in his prime" ... Sid Luckman.

It wasn't just one game, fellas.

I know it's hard to see looking at the numbers, but if you choose to ignore these opinions from some of the greatest football minds ever, than you'll never be convinced.

JoeWilly,

I said I loved the guy BUT he is a JET now he wants to be a sportscaster and he makes these statements. He was the BRASH QB of the NY Jets....now Rex is the BRASH Head Coach of the Jets. He was awsome BUT he also was terrible throwing int. after int. and he came to games DRUNK! He owned Bacholors III a bar in manhattan that he Mobsters inside and I mean inside Namath caved to Pete Rozell and sold the bar. He was notorious with women...he had a panty hose commercial and one for Shave Cream "Take it off!!!Take it all off!!!, with famous actresses. Believe me I was a fan...when he wore a white mink coat I bought one when I was stationed Germany...and he liked Johnny Walker Black so that was my drink! He just needs to Shut the F Up!!!! Career Stats http://www.nfl.com/player/joenamath/2521943/careerstats

JOE'S JET SEASON RECORDS

NFL

New York Jets

3 11 0

NFL

New York Jets

3 11 0

NFL

New York Jets

7 7 0

NFL

New York Jets

4 10 0

NFL

New York Jets

7 7 0

NFL

New York Jets

6 8 0

NFL

New York Jets

4 10 0

AFL

New York Jets*

10 4 0

AFL

New York Jets*

11 3 0

AFL

New York Jets

8 5 1

AFL

New York Jets

6 6 2

AFL

New York Jets

5 8 1

74 WINS 90 LOSSES 4 TIES

Is it really that hard to understand he was a great player on sh!t teams that continuously got him injured from lack of protection?

Jets treated him like a cash cow. He put asses in seats and faces in front of TVs. They paid him well but after Sonny Werblin left in 68 they chose to keep the revenue and didnt really want to invest in keeping any other star players. Example John Riggins, Winston Hill. I dont care who played QB for those teams the results would have been the same or worse.

Is it really that hard to understand he was a great player on sh!t teams that continuously got him injured from lack of protection?

Jets treated him like a cash cow. He put asses in seats and faces in front of TVs. They paid him well but after Sonny Werblin left in 68 they chose to keep the revenue and didnt really want to invest in keeping any other star players. Example John Riggins, Winston Hill. I dont care who played QB for those teams the results would have been the same or worse.

Yep, my point exactly, Kleck.

A number of poor circumstances prevented him from reaching is potential for an extended period of time, most notably, injuries and the poor "penny pinching" management of the team after 1970.

Hey listen, in the end, people who never saw him play will do what they can to assess performance and that is, they will go to statistics. I understand that.

My only point is that he is one of those rare players in sports whose greatness is not evident by looking at statistics because of the circumstances he played under.

In modern terms, I compare him to Don Mattingly. For about a 5 year period, Mattingly was not only the best first basemen in baseball, he was arguably the best PLAYER in baseball. Had he not been injured and played on bad teams for most of his career, he would have been a "sure Hall of Famer". I'm not a Yankee fan, but I think he should be there anyway.

Namath was similar, but an even bigger star. He was a "comet", a player who, at his peak for about a 5 year period, was as productive and exciting a player that's ever played, and who not only revolutionized the position he played, but had an incredible effect on how pro football is viewed in this country. Super Bowl III was only part of the story, not THE story. At his peak, from about 1967 to 1972, and despite some really bad injuries, he was unquestionably the best player on the field, a player that opposing teams schemed to stop.

The reality is that people who saw him play, including some of the greatest football minds in the history of the game, all know that he was great, and that should enough for those who never had the pleasure of watching him.

Unfortunately, if you're one of the young guys who can't appreciate his greatness as a player, you never will, no matter what I or anyone else says because the statistics alone don't illustrate it.

That guarantee probably made football what it is today.

Without that guarantee the Super Bowl would never have been the Super Bowl as we know it today.

Who knows what would have happened to the merger if that guarantee had not been made and kept to its word.

For that alone he deserves a place in the HOF!

Word?

?

exactly.

Best exchange ever. Winner = Villain.

I have loved the Jets since they were the Titans in the Polo Grounds with a LB named Wahoo McDaniels! I watched Joe as a rookie and what excitement! Joe had a ROCKET arm and had to let up on his "overthrowing" velocity. Joe was the best a true JET, but now he has to shut up...he has too much to say for a guy who stole the "Guarantee" from his own locker room! Go back and check out the stories...I was in Southeast Asia when they played in Miami for the Super Bowl and listened on Armed Forces Radio! He, during that season lost to the Raiders in the "Heidi" game! Joe, as a season ticket holder during ALL (Dad had my tickets when I was serving in the USAF) the Shea stadium days....you owe me for EVERY game you showed up for STONE COLD DRUNK! That’s a fact...fellow teammates couldn't believe the condition you were in for some games! Hey Joe how about all your losses and interceptions???? IF the media was as bad as it is today you would have been run out of this town!!!! So Shut-The-F-UP! And throw your support behind the ONE Coach who has given us any hope since you showed up DRUNK for those games!!!!

So anyone who dares says anything critical of Rex Ryan should shut up and just support Sexy Rexy? LOL!!!

Sports would be so boring if we were all just a bunch of lemmings blindly following our "leader" and never have anything critical to say.. just make sure that you fart sunshine, rainbows and unicorns out of your a$$ for your team. Dont ever be negative!

LOL!!!!!

Because I thought that HOF status was dictated on performance on the field. Now im not saying that Namath doesnt deserve to be in. Im in no position to say that. But honestly, that was my first time seeing his career stats and I have to admit I wasnt impressed.

Namath's stats were accomplished in a different era where pass defence rules were not as touchy as they are today.

He was the first person to throw for 4000 yards back then in a 14 game season. Number that were not surpassed till NFL went to 16 game schedule.

Back in the day, I couldn't wait to go and see Joe Namath play. I can understand why some are bashing Joe, because they never saw him play in person. Never saw the electricity and excitement he brought to the game. Never saw his quick release and competitiveness. Never saw how he impacted the sport and brought the AFC into the fold that is now the NFL. If you never had the thrill of following Joe in person, the stats are all you can go on. But Namath transcended his stats. The whole is more than the some of its parts here! Does he have great stats? Probably not. Does he belong in the HOF? Of course. The fact is, Namath was more than a player on so many levels that simply can't be measured by numbers. Unlike many other QBs, Joe Namath was something special to those who saw him play and gave something special to the sport that opened up the game and left an indelible mark. Say what you want Joe. As the greatest Jet, and an NFL icon, you have every right to your opinion!

Namath's stats were accomplished in a different era where pass defence rules were not as touchy as they are today.

He was the first person to throw for 4000 yards back then in a 14 game season. Number that were not surpassed till NFL went to 16 game schedule.

Like I said, im not taking away anything from him. Im in my early 30's, this dude was winning superbowls when I was in my daddy's sack. It was just sh*t talking thats all. Namath is the man and we all know it. Im just kicking up dust bro.

Archived