OLmen currently available

Sperm Edwards

There literally isn't anyone on our OL playing well right now and we're down to cursing an injury to Robert friggin' Turner. Best you can say is Ferguson hasn't been as bad as the other 4. Slauson is mediocre and he's probably played 2nd-best with Mangold out.

Before I get killed for any of these names, accept that Joe Thomas and Logan Mankins are not currently sitting home on their couches waiting for Tannenbaum to call them to offer non-guaranteed or marginally-guaranteed short-term contracts.

T Shawn Andrews (don't know how his back is and may want too much, but Hunter is a backup farting higher than his own a$$)

T Damien Woody (though some who have seen him say he looks like he looks like he's put on 50+ lbs)

T Max Starks (may also be a totally out of shape blob right now)

T Flozell Adams (is he worse than Hunter's played? I honestly don't know.)

G/T Nick Kaczur (sucks but is he really worse than our current crop is playing?)

G/T Leonard Davis (though he hasn't played T for some time)

G Johan Asiata (almost started for Chicago this year, for whatever that's worth. "Almost" is probably more the operative word than "started" is)

G/C Rich Seubert (is his knee good enough to play on. Doubtful he is ready to play within 1-2 weeks even if he is just about healed)

C/G Shaun O'Hara (don't know if he's healthy or ready yet either. Dolphins brought him in back in Aug and passed)

Comment or add to the list (or if anyone's taken that I thought was available). Clearly either Callahan forgot how to coach linemen or our starting OL needs (healthy) help that isn't currently on the roster.

No one on the list is any good, why would teams pass on them if they were good. Teams always have o-line depth, I think only way we get one is via trade.

Seriously? Teams cut, trade, or pass on serviceable - or even decent - players for other reasons:

1) Play not good enough to warrant keeping under his current contract

2) Injured at the time of release and the team needs the roster spot

3) Team wants to go with someone younger

4) Personal issues

Jets once released Kevin Mawae with no obvious replacement on the roster. Lucky for us Mangold was still available in the draft when our pick came up, and was drafted using a pick we got for John Abraham, that we also didn't have at the time of Mawae's release.

Usually players are available because they aren't good. But there are plenty of other reasons.

It's scary. Although Slaus is a jag he's workable at least. Hunter alone could keep this team from the playoffs. He's that bad right now. If Turner were healthy I think we had already seen him moving to RT. Sigh.

Let's be honest though. Turner may be serviceable for a couple of plays, to finish up a game, and maybe even to make a rare start. But he is no game-in-game-out starter either and the main difference, if he was healthy and in there, is that there would be even more OL penalties.

Let's be honest though. Turner may be serviceable for a couple of plays, to finish up a game, and maybe even to make a rare start. But he is no game-in-game-out starter either and the main difference, if he was healthy and in there, is that there would be even more OL penalties.

Turner probably would've gotten himself ejected from the game the way some of those brawls were already happening with the Ravens. He would've bashed some poor bastards head in.

As you pointed out, there's a lot of veteran OL out there who've shown they can play throughout their careers who are still available in FA, mostly for health reasons. I see no harm in bringing these guys in and seeing what kind of shape they are in. It's not as if OL is a young man's position by any means anyway, and the team needs to try something. It's not like we're talking about finding a truly starting caliber player, just someone who can be solid and hold their own while not being a major detriment to the team, considering right now there's one or two guys tops on this OL who have fit that criteria.

I think the time for this was 2 or 3 weeks ago. Nobody likes to think the preseason means anything, but when you watched those games you saw a line that was terrible, in particular on the right side. There were plenty of excuses (Moore had a hip, Mangold was hurt, etc...) but the signs were there. I think these type of linemen are players you have to have on the team for a few weeks before they can really step in and be a big help. Signing one now is probably going to mean week 7 or 8 before they can really settle anything down and by then its too late. Turner was never the answer but either the Jets medical staff botched that up or his agents were telling the Jets something about his rehab that just was not true. Either way carrying he and Logan Payne on the active roster was just asinine and about as smart as the years where the team would carry 4 QBS.

I know Colin will be a easy target.

But out entire O-Line played horribly.

There were plays where the center was not responsible for the melt down of the OL.

There were plays where it was D'Brick's mistake. There were plays where Wayne Hunter was trying to block ghosts while the Ravens defender went right past him.

The biggest reason we got outplayed was the OL line did not look in sync at all. And it comes down to coaching. The O-Line looked badly coached for this game.

Considering Baxter had nothing to do with those two fumbles, I would say give Baxter another week. He wasn't terrible, and as you can see, there's not much out there. Ray Lucas get's it right here: http://web.sny.tv/me...py_19826071&v=3

I was watching for a while last night after the game, though I don't know why. Lousy OL or not, Klecko & Lucas clearly think Sanchez is just a lousy QB who isn't getting any better. Schein says a different thing every week and generally acts like he has a masters degree from clown school so no one cares what he thinks anyway.

Archived