Offense is anemic

lancemehl

The offseason from hell lol Brad Smith, Cotchery, Braylon Edwards (three 20 year olds who made up the core of this offense for Plaxico. lol Plaxico :frown:

This offense has been destroyed. Thank you Tannebaum. He had a couple great years and now ONE catastrophic, disastrous year!! No way around it Tanny fans. He screwed us royally.

Tanny is a -great GM, the way Betamax was a great format. It's like saying the Hindenburg kicked a$$ in it's prior flights or the titanic had many successful voyages. come on. This c lown has sent me into a time machine to circa 1996. There's nobody on the field. Take away Holmes and Keller and we're finished. (on the flipside Buffalo looks good, Brad Smith brings a nice dimension to that team. lmao Damn it.

The offseason from hell lol Brad Smith, Cotchery, Braylon Edwards (three 20 year olds who made up the core of this offense for Plaxico!!!

This offense has been destroyed. Thank you Tannebaum! He had a couple great years and now ONE catastrophic, disastrous year!! No way around it Tanny fans. He screwed us royally.

:Nuts::fighting0050:

The offseason from hell lol Brad Smith, Cotchery, Braylon Edwards (three 20 year olds who made up the core of this offense for Plaxico. lol Plaxico :frown:

This offense has been destroyed. Thank you Tannebaum. He had a couple great years and now ONE catastrophic, disastrous year!! No way around it Tanny fans. He screwed us royally.

Tanny is a -great GM, the way Betamax was a great format. It's like saying the Hindenburg kicked a$$ in it's prior flights or the titanic had many successful voyages. come on. This c lown has sent me into a time machine to circa 1996. There's nobody on the field. Take away Holmes and Keller and we're finished. (on the flipside Buffalo looks good, Brad Smith brings a nice dimension to that team. lmao Damn it.

So in your opinion, the Jets should right now be paying Brad Smith $4M/year + Cotchery $2M/year + Edwards $7-10M/year, and that would have made Mike Tannenbaum a good GM?

I just want to make sure I have this right.

So in your opinion, the Jets should right now be paying Brad Smith $4M/year + Cotchery $2M/year + Edwards $7-10M/year, and that would have made Mike Tannenbaum a good GM?

Wait, what? Then please es'plain to me how would we have had enough Somolians to keep Holmes, Mr. Smarty Pants!!!

It's hard to judge a GM too harshly based on the receiver position. They're just so difficult to find. If you don't luck into a sure thing like Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson, the draft is a crapshoot and talented veterans without major baggage are never available. Tannenbaum has done basically nothing for us here save backing up the Brinks truck to hold on to Holmes and frankly I'd say that constitutes a pretty good job all by itself. Wouldn't mind if we tried to hijack Burton from Minnesota's practice squad, though.

It's hard to judge a GM too harshly based on the receiver position. They're just so difficult to find. If you don't luck into a sure thing like Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson, the draft is a crapshoot and talented veterans without major baggage are never available. Tannenbaum has done basically nothing for us here save backing up the Brinks truck to hold on to Holmes and frankly I'd say that constitutes a pretty good job all by itself. Wouldn't mind if we tried to hijack Burton from Minnesota's practice squad, though.

Who?

Who?

Stephen Burton. He was everybody's small-school sleeper coming out of West Texas A&M this year. I think the Vikings drafted him but he might have been a UDFA. They're not crazy about him and I think he could be had. He's a great athlete and I think he has a lot more #1 potential than the other projects we've been kicking around. Turner will eventually be a decent red zone target, Kerley will be okay as a slot guy, but I think we need a real upside play to go with the niche prospects.

I would have loved Edwards to stay and made that clear all offseason long, but the guy wanted about 8 times as much per year on a long term deal from the Jets as he was able to get in the total value of his current contract. That eliminated any chance of it happening, as it very well should have. There's not a whole lot the Jets could have done about that beyond signing him to an idoitic contract (not even mentioning that he was once again getting himself into legal trouble at that same exact time). As far as Cotchery and Smith? That's just funny. Cotch was horrible last year and Smith hasn't ever been worth a damn as a receiver, and his gimmick plays often did more harm than good against any team not named the Bengals. This offense needs to be better, and there's a whole mile long list of reasons why and things that could have been done to address that, but re-signing this cast of misfits was not the answer.

In my opinion, there is way too much thought going into preparing this offense week in and week out.

The offense is too complex, too meticulous and much too controlled. Too many formations, too many motions, too many shifts, too many simulated snap counts leading to penalties, too many check offs ... too much cutesy, cutesy ... too much, period.

When has Sanchez had the most success? In big games, in the post-season, when things have been dummied down and kept simple.

Limited formations, limited pre-snap reads, limited progressions, limited audibles, no empty backfield sets from the three yard line on first down.

In his first two years, Sanchez has shown a propensity to operate better in a little more “chaotic” environment where he has to improvise … no huddle … sprint roll-outs … etc…

I'm not saying he's Michael Vick by any stretch, but it just seems to me that he has much more success when they operate with a higher tempo or pace, while keeping things much more simple. I mean how many times over the past two seasons have we seen him hit Keller down the seam when he's running around back there.

Now, EVERYTHING is a god#$%^ three step drop … give me a break. That's not his game.

Stephen Burton. He was everybody's small-school sleeper coming out of West Texas A&M this year. I think the Vikings drafted him but he might have been a UDFA. They're not crazy about him and I think he could be had. He's a great athlete and I think he has a lot more #1 potential than the other projects we've been kicking around. Turner will eventually be a decent red zone target, Kerley will be okay as a slot guy, but I think we need a real upside play to go with the niche prospects.

Sure why not? Might as well snag him and see what he can do. What other WR's do we have on the PS? Campell had a bad drop in the preseason and Payne is injured.

Braylon Edwards and Brad Smith are impact players on their respective teams. So is Jerricho Cotchery.

******* Jets.

They got hurt. Except Brad Smith who had three big first downs in the only game I watched, reminded me of when he did sh*t like that for us. Come on, are you suggesting that we could NOT use any of those guys? lol seriously?

that's right. see, i'm one of those guys that could give **** how much $ Tanny saved Woody. We had all the pieces. THIS was our year, so yes, yes break the bank. Do what you gotta do? So, let me get this straight, you are interested more in Woody's bottomline than the team record? Salary cap? For what? This was our year! Now we are re-building. No amount of wit will convince me that taking 3 major weapons away and replacing them with crap is a smart move, in a win-now year. That's your stance?

Explain to me without sarcasm, in an intellectual way, how he did NOT destroy the offense?? Sanchez has nowhere to go with the ball. Kerley? lol Come on, it's a pink elephant in the room. a colossol blunder that just cost us, you and me, about 5 years of good football.

Like I said, throw away that debacle against balt, with a backup center, Sanchez on his back all game completing 30% for a 30 rating (which is a perfectly logical thing to do, as those games tend to get washed out by the end anyway), and Sanchez is top ten. That's not my opinion, that's a fact, using the QB rating that ESPN uses to rank QB's. Regardless, that will work itself out, as you will see him finish the year at 60+% with a 90+ rating, in the top 10-12, BUT it will be worthless, because they won't be able to score with no running game and no targets, that simple.

So, YES and Thank You Tanny again> On the flipside, Ellis finally saw action, might turn out OK, still no excuse for what he did.

They got hurt. Except Brad Smith who had three big first downs in the only game I watched, reminded me of when he did sh*t like that for us. Come on, are you suggesting that we could NOT use any of those guys? lol seriously?

Seriously yourself. Go reply to my post before complaining about these 3. Enough with the bitching about players who aren't here and weren't worth what it would have taken to keep them here.

Right up there with the idiotic "just pay the man" when our "homegrown" Leon Washington wanted starter money in the Maurice Jones-Drew range.

This is not MLB. There is a salary cap. There has been one for nearly 20 years now. I can post a wikipedia link for you if you like.

***edit - I see you have now replied.

I'm suggesting if BE and Cotch are not contributing to their current team, what makes you think they would have with the Jets.

McKnight >>>> Brad Smith

Explain to me without sarcasm, in an intellectual way, how he did NOT destroy the offense??

Hard to destroy something that has always been destroyed.

that's right. see, i'm one of those guys that could give **** how much $ Tanny saved Woody. We had all the pieces. THIS was our year, so yes, yes break the bank. Do what you gotta do? So, let me get this straight, you are interested more in Woody's bottomline than the team record? Salary cap? For what? This was our year! Now we are re-building. No amount of wit will convince me that taking 3 major weapons away and replacing them with crap is a smart move, in a win-now year. That's your stance?

Explain to me without sarcasm, in an intellectual way, how he did NOT destroy the offense?? Sanchez has nowhere to go with the ball. Kerley? lol Come on, it's a pink elephant in the room. a colossol blunder that just cost us, you and me, about 5 years of good football.

Like I said, throw away that debacle against balt, with a backup center, Sanchez on his back all game completing 30% for a 30 rating (which is a perfectly logical thing to do, as those games tend to get washed out by the end anyway), and Sanchez is top ten. That's not my opinion, that's a fact, using the QB rating that ESPN uses to rank QB's. Regardless, that will work itself out, as you will see him finish the year at 60+% with a 90+ rating, in the top 10-12, BUT it will be worthless, because they won't be able to score with no running game and no targets, that simple.

So, YES and Thank You Tanny again> On the flipside, Ellis finally saw action, might turn out OK, still no excuse for what he did.

What on earth are you talking about? There is a salary cap. It has nothing to do with willingness to spend or desire to save cash for Woody Johnson.

You don't pay $4M per season for a player who is on the field 5x a game and touches it once or twice (if at all).

You don't pay $2M per season for a slow, injured WR with the dropsies no matter what his past contributions.

You don't pay a WR with legal troubles $7-10M/year on a long-term deal when the market for him is $1-2M/year on a 1-year deal.

NO successful franchise does these things, let alone ALL THREE of these things as you're advocating.

I'm suggesting if BE and Cotch are not contributing to their current team, what makes you think they would have with the Jets.

McKnight >>>> Brad Smith

Hard to destroy something that has always been destroyed.

No fooling. At one point they flashed on the screen McKnight's 40 yard per KO return avg and then his 20 yard per punt return average. The last thing the team needs is to pay someone $4M/year to keep McKnight from seeing the field.

Hey guys, thanks for the responses, but I am having a hard time getting a read, as sometimes the board becomes more important than the team and I can't get a read on things through all of the sarcasm and what not. I just want to gauge this properly, so please humor me and let's review.

It is my take that:

- J Cothery, Brad Smith and B Edwards made up a valuable piece of our offense last year (regardless of what they are doing with their teams that they never wanted to go to.) In return we got literally nothing. Did you see Plax last night? So, are you telling me that losing these three guys and replacing them with nothing was a GOOD move? Did it help us? Did he give Schotty and Sanchez MORE to work with? If so, how? If not, then isn't that one guy's fault? Please give me a legitimate reason why it was NOT an colossal failure.

Even the objective MNF crew kept remarking how the Jets do not have the personnel to fit their style. Whose fault is that?

and

- Mark Sanchez has no weapons, no running game, a crappy line, yet take away the Baltmore game which threw a 30% comp. and a 30 rating into his mix, and he is raked number nine, according to ESPN QB rat. rankings and a calculator. Is that not significant? (pretend some writer brought that up and not me. That would make it so. lol)

At some point other teams are going to catch on that it does not matter who we have returning kicks, so long as Westhoff is our SpT's coach. Until they do they can keep overpaying our Brad Smith's, Leon Washington's, Justin Miller's, Chad Morton's.....Next man up for us everytime. We lost absolutely nothing by not resigning Brad Smith.

Hey guys, thanks for the responses, but I am having a hard time getting a read, as sometimes the board becomes more important than the team and I can't get a read on things through all of the sarcasm and what not. I just want to gauge this properly, so please humor me and let's review.

It is my take that:

- J Cothery, Brad Smith and B Edwards made up a valuable piece of our offense last year (regardless of what they are doing with their teams that they never wanted to go to.) In return we got literally nothing. Did you see Plax last night? So, are you telling me that losing these three guys and replacing them with nothing was a GOOD move? Did it help us? Did he give Schotty and Sanchez MORE to work with? If so, how? If not, then isn't that one guy's fault? Please give me a legitimate reason why it was NOT an colossal failure.

Even the objective MNF crew kept remarking how the Jets do not have the personnel to fit their style. Whose fault is that?

and

- Mark Sanchez has no weapons, no running game, a crappy line, yet take away the Baltmore game which threw a 30% comp. and a 30 rating into his mix, and he is raked number nine, according to ESPN QB rat. rankings and a calculator. Is that not significant? (pretend some writer brought that up and not me. That would make it so. lol)

I think that if BE, Cotch and B. Smith were part of the Jets, the offense would still suck and the Jets would be 3-3.

(cant quote)

But to Brooklyn Jet== I'll keep posting until I get an intelligent response from you. How do you feel about our offseason moves.

To Sperm--- Obvious sour grapes, man Smith did it all for us. Cotchery was a tough gritty guy. Both could be used. There's no way around it. I watched the same package work thre times for Buffalo on third down. And again, it's not my job to balance the budget. Whatever the cost, pay it. We are under the cap. It would've worked. The bottomline is on the field. We lost half of our offense and returned nothing. Sperm, you're a smart dude. You know we got worse. If it's not broke don't f---in fix it! We needed two things, a year on sanchez and a pass rush. hahaha

BTW do you think we sent a good message to Cro in the offseason? lol or is that a stretch? Hell might as well. If schotty could get blamed for the weather than I sure as hell save some for flip flops. Terrible.

Sanchez has no weapons? lol

He sucks and that is problem numero uno.

It's the receivers who need a weapon at QB to deliver the football better than Sanchez does.

Kerley looks fine, Mason has been good every year prior to meeting Sanchez, Holmes is a top WR and Keller is plenty solid.

Apparently Sanchez needs every player on the offense to be a pro bowler in is prime.

What on earth are you talking about? There is a salary cap. It has nothing to do with willingness to spend or desire to save cash for Woody Johnson.

You don't pay $4M per season for a player who is on the field 5x a game and touches it once or twice (if at all).

You don't pay $2M per season for a slow, injured WR with the dropsies no matter what his past contributions.

You don't pay a WR with legal troubles $7-10M/year on a long-term deal when the market for him is $1-2M/year on a 1-year deal.

NO successful franchise does these things, let alone ALL THREE of these things as you're advocating.

No, the money spent on Mason and Plax was wiser. With this warped memory of these guys your point works, but the truth is Cotchery was a gamer. Brad Smith made MANY big plays for us. We are 8 million under the cap! We were gonna max out another CB, come on, man. It could've been done. But, in the world where Cotchery isn't as good as Kerley (lol) you're 100% correct.

(cant quote)

But to Brooklyn Jet== I'll keep posting until I get an intelligent response from you. How do you feel about our offseason moves.

To Sperm--- Obvious sour grapes, man Smith did it all for us. Cotchery was a tough gritty guy. Both could be used. There's no way around it. I watched the same package work thre times for Buffalo on third down. And again, it's not my job to balance the budget. Whatever the cost, pay it. We are under the cap. It would've worked. The bottomline is on the field. We lost half of our offense and returned nothing. Sperm, you're a smart dude. You know we got worse. If it's not broke don't f---in fix it! We needed two things, a year on sanchez and a pass rush. hahaha

BTW do you think we sent a good message to Cro in the offseason? lol or is that a stretch? Hell might as well. If schotty could get blamed for the weather than I sure as hell save some for flip flops. Terrible.

Archived