Offense is anemic

lancemehl

(cant quote)

But to Brooklyn Jet== I'll keep posting until I get an intelligent response from you. How do you feel about our offseason moves.

To Sperm--- Obvious sour grapes, man Smith did it all for us. Cotchery was a tough gritty guy. Both could be used. There's no way around it. I watched the same package work thre times for Buffalo on third down. And again, it's not my job to balance the budget. Whatever the cost, pay it. We are under the cap. It would've worked. The bottomline is on the field. We lost half of our offense and returned nothing. Sperm, you're a smart dude. You know we got worse. If it's not broke don't f---in fix it! We needed two things, a year on sanchez and a pass rush. hahaha

BTW do you think we sent a good message to Cro in the offseason? lol or is that a stretch? Hell might as well. If schotty could get blamed for the weather than I sure as hell save some for flip flops. Terrible.

Sour grapes about what?

They weren't worth the money against the cap. They still aren't.

You seem pretty demanding of everyone except the highest-paid, most important player on our offense.

(cant quote)

But to Brooklyn Jet== I'll keep posting until I get an intelligent response from you. How do you feel about our offseason moves.

To Sperm--- Obvious sour grapes, man Smith did it all for us. Cotchery was a tough gritty guy. Both could be used. There's no way around it. I watched the same package work thre times for Buffalo on third down. And again, it's not my job to balance the budget. Whatever the cost, pay it. We are under the cap. It would've worked. The bottomline is on the field. We lost half of our offense and returned nothing. Sperm, you're a smart dude. You know we got worse. If it's not broke don't f---in fix it! We needed two things, a year on sanchez and a pass rush. hahaha

BTW do you think we sent a good message to Cro in the offseason? lol or is that a stretch? Hell might as well. If schotty could get blamed for the weather than I sure as hell save some for flip flops. Terrible.

In what world was the Jets offense "not broke"? Like I said earlier, Cotch was absolutely horrible for the Jets last year and you are clearly vastly overrating Brad Smith. He was completely useless as a WR and the Wildcat crap normally did the Jets offense more harm than good when not facing the Bengals. In 6 games for the Bills this year, Smith has gained less than 100 yards on offense and has scored a grant total of 1 TD on the second highest scoring offense in the league. Hell, in 16 games for the Jets last year he had just over 300 yards and 1 TD on offense. In what world is this a difference-maker in the offensive performance? If anything, the area he flourished for the Jets was as a KR, and McKnight has far outpeformed him in that regard this season, averaging more than DOUBLE the number of yards per return.

The one area I could see making an argument that the Jets really lost something was Edwards but again, his lack of being here was his own doing. There's not a whole lot the Jets could have done about it, unless you suggest they should have paid him 8 times as much, per year on a multi-year deal, what any other team in the NFL was willing to for one year of his services.

No, the money spent on Mason and Plax was wiser. With this warped memory of these guys your point works, but the truth is Cotchery was a gamer. Brad Smith made MANY big plays for us. We are 8 million under the cap! We were gonna max out another CB, come on, man. It could've been done. But, in the world where Cotchery isn't as good as Kerley (lol) you're 100% correct.

Mason is who replaced Cotchery, not Kerley. Mason is better than Cotchery. And Kerley made Mason expendable. Today, Cotchery is neither as good as or as valuable to the team as Kerley.

Taking a shot on Plax at 1 year $3.5M is wiser than a 5-year deal for $35-45M to Braylon. Yes.

You are wrong about absolutely everything and it seems you aren't even right sometimes by accident.

Sanchez is good, Sperm that's where the confusion is. lol He is right around the middle of the pack in the ratings, WITH that disasterous game thrown in the 6 game sample. Without it he is 9. You could sneeze at that now, but it will even out at the end of the year, and I will make a gentlemen's bet (staking my forum reputation on it lol) Sanchez will finish in the top 12 QB's using the QBR on espn (or actually any national rating system of your choice that isn't fff) And top 12 is good. So, Sperm, no sense ripping each other apart about it now, because of the damn Balt. game, but we will check back in week 18, agreed? lol

He will be # 12, behind the usuals. (of course, he will always have that intangible that only a few ever get to. PO wins) So, yeah, only time will vindicate us....me and Sanchero.....haha

By week 12 Met Life will look like cinco de mayo in cancun! It's so nice to see a guy who could move, unlike Vinny and who could throw downfield unlike Chad, and still has the smarts. How about that audible to get the backfield in motion and open up the middle for the QB draw....TD! Those are the things that don't show up in the stats. lol

Sanchez is good, Sperm that's where the confusion is. lol He is right around the middle of the pack in the ratings, WITH that disasterous game thrown in the 6 game sample. Without it he is 9. You could sneeze at that now, but it will even out at the end of the year, and I will make a gentlemen's bet (staking my forum reputation on it lol) Sanchez will finish in the top 12 QB's using the QBR on espn (or actually any national rating system of your choice that isn't fff) And top 12 is good. So, Sperm, no sense ripping each other apart about it now, because of the damn Balt. game, but we will check back in week 18, agreed? lol

He will be # 12, behind the usuals. (of course, he will always have that intangible that only a few ever get to. PO wins) So, yeah, only time will vindicate us....me and Sanchero.....haha

By week 12 Met Life will look like cinco de mayo in cancun! It's so nice to see a guy who could move, unlike Vinny and who could throw downfield unlike Chad, and still has the smarts. How about that audible to get the backfield in motion and open up the middle for the QB draw....TD! Those are the things that don't show up in the stats. lol

Sanchez is not good. You need glasses.

Hahaha Yeah Mason is great. lol Just thank God we have a frnchise QB. I am demanding of him Sperm and he's playing fine. Watch the highlight reel provided. If the line could have protected him against the ravens he'd be top 10, simple as that. I am right about this, and I am right that our offense is worse, Mason is NOT good, actually he is good, like Atwater was good and like Dyson was good. As a jet, he sucked. As a jet cotchery did NOT, period. Who was it that was saying Revis was overrated last year?? lol

If you are gonna let people go because they suck, then replace them with someone better. lol You are naming Mason? lol He's done, failure. Like I said, thank God we have a guy who can overcome a poor running game and having one receiver. I'll be back to collect on this one. Bet that. Top 12 QBR by year's end, never to look back. Bank it.

Hahaha Yeah Mason is great. lol Just thank God we have a frnchise QB. I am demanding of him Sperm and he's playing fine. Watch the highlight reel provided. If the line could have protected him against the ravens he'd be top 10, simple as that. I am right about this, and I am right that our offense is worse, Mason is NOT good, actually he is good, like Atwater was good and like Dyson was good. As a jet, he sucked. As a jet cotchery did NOT, period. Who was it that was saying Revis was overrated last year?? lol

If you are gonna let people go because they suck, then replace them with someone better. lol You are naming Mason? lol He's done, failure. Like I said, thank God we have a guy who can overcome a poor running game and having one receiver. I'll be back to collect on this one. Bet that. Top 12 QBR by year's end, never to look back. Bank it.

He's good if you consider middle of the pack good.

You know, some people dont have as high of standards as you Sperm. Jeez.

I wish someone would have the foresight, the ability to think a little progressively, to see that one game is keeping him out of the top ten (statistically, not counting the fourth quarter comebacks --he has 9 career, Brady has 25 by comparison), one game w/o Mangold where he got the sh*t kicked out of him. Take that away and statistically (not just Playoff wins--which he is top ten) he is 9. Period. That's a fact. The beauty of that is, JiF, that by the end of the year, those abominations will even out and Sanchez will have the stats to go with his intangibles and it will no longer be an issue.

Hey how about that QB draw TD. That's was a brilliant audible. lol Hey, JiF watch the highlights below. His TD's are very pretty. lmao Not a wounded duck like some. Look how he places some in there. He moves around and buys time better than most, too. We're lucky to have him. I was dead set against the draft pick, but I was wrong.

haha I'm still laughing about how great Mason is. Art Monk was great too. Yeah, hang in there JiF. There guy is not middle of the road. You'll see.

Stephen Burton. He was everybody's small-school sleeper coming out of West Texas A&M this year. I think the Vikings drafted him but he might have been a UDFA. They're not crazy about him and I think he could be had. He's a great athlete and I think he has a lot more #1 potential than the other projects we've been kicking around. Turner will eventually be a decent red zone target, Kerley will be okay as a slot guy, but I think we need a real upside play to go with the niche prospects.

Looks real interesting -6' 4 - 220, 35" vertical, high 4.3's, great athleticism - see if they'll trade for Mulligan

While I agree that the offense is anemic, we've seen this offense have low-points like this year-after-year with different personnel, including the JAGS mentioned in the original post.

The common denominator is the coordinator... and the QB.

Brad Smith have virtually NO role with the Bills. They can keep him.

Braylon sucks.

Cotchery sucks even more.

This ongoing dialogue is hilarious though, you should continue to start 307 threads about it per week.

I wish someone would have the foresight, the ability to think a little progressively, to see that one game is keeping him out of the top ten (statistically, not counting the fourth quarter comebacks --he has 9 career, Brady has 25 by comparison), one game w/o Mangold where he got the sh*t kicked out of him. Take that away and statistically (not just Playoff wins--which he is top ten) he is 9. Period. That's a fact. The beauty of that is, JiF, that by the end of the year, those abominations will even out and Sanchez will have the stats to go with his intangibles and it will no longer be an issue.

Hey how about that QB draw TD. That's was a brilliant audible. lol Hey, JiF watch the highlights below. His TD's are very pretty. lmao Not a wounded duck like some. Look how he places some in there. He moves around and buys time better than most, too. We're lucky to have him. I was dead set against the draft pick, but I was wrong.

haha I'm still laughing about how great Mason is. Art Monk was great too. Yeah, hang in there JiF. There guy is not middle of the road. You'll see.

Did you see him play ineffectually against an absolutely awful defense for most of the first half? Miss Keller wide open in the endzone because he was in such a hurry to check down?

He made a couple great throws last night. The rest of the time he was bad. It was pretty obvious to anyone without the green glasses on.

In my opinion, there is way too much thought going into preparing this offense week in and week out.

The offense is too complex, too meticulous and much too controlled. Too many formations, too many motions, too many shifts, too many simulated snap counts leading to penalties, too many check offs ... too much cutesy, cutesy ... too much, period.

When has Sanchez had the most success? In big games, in the post-season, when things have been dummied down and kept simple.

Limited formations, limited pre-snap reads, limited progressions, limited audibles, no empty backfield sets from the three yard line on first down.

In his first two years, Sanchez has shown a propensity to operate better in a little more “chaotic” environment where he has to improvise … no huddle … sprint roll-outs … etc…

I'm not saying he's Michael Vick by any stretch, but it just seems to me that he has much more success when they operate with a higher tempo or pace, while keeping things much more simple. I mean how many times over the past two seasons have we seen him hit Keller down the seam when he's running around back there.

Now, EVERYTHING is a god#$%^ three step drop … give me a break. That's not his game.

POTW...FTW!

Sanchez has the ability to be one of the better QBs in the NFL and has a track record of playing big in big spots. That being said lance, everything that Sperm has been saying is so spot on and it's clear that your set in the belief that we should have Smith, Cotchery and Edwards. Smith is a JAG, a great special teams and gadget player but a JAG. Cotchery was great for a long time but wanted to be paid as a #2 WR and when he was not given the $ he wanted out. Finally Edwards was demanding wayyyy too much and the minute he hit the open market it proved that he wasn't worth the value he was demanding from the Jets.

In hindsight letting all three of these guys go, but Plax has been disappointing in 2 of 6 games we've played so far. He shows flashes of his old self in some games yet the best part of his game has been his downfield blocking. This guy has dropped more balls than Edwards as a Jet and probably will be a 1 year experiment that will gone after this year. Speaking of Edwards the fact that he was majorly humbled by a 1 year 2 mil contract, has been ineffective and injured will hurt his value moving forward next year during FA. I wouldn't be surprised if despite everything that happened last year that the Jets bring him back on a 3 year 13 mil or 4 year 17 mil contract next year as our #2 since the guy clearly wanted to be here.

As for Kerley he has played pretty well and is showing exactly what we want in a rookie -- promise. As a 4th round pick he's showing that he has a knack for making plays in open space and displays more burst than Mason did for us. But exactly what JoeWillie said above is spot on

It's hard to judge a GM too harshly based on the receiver position. They're just so difficult to find. If you don't luck into a sure thing like Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson, the draft is a crapshoot and talented veterans without major baggage are never available. Tannenbaum has done basically nothing for us here save backing up the Brinks truck to hold on to Holmes and frankly I'd say that constitutes a pretty good job all by itself. Wouldn't mind if we tried to hijack Burton from Minnesota's practice squad, though.

Agreed, but there has been opportunities. Couldn't swing Austin, passed on a bunch in the earlier rounds who've turned out to be very good, and other guys better than Plax and Braylon have been moved over the past couple years. I know hindsight criticism is lame but whatever, it's true. I'm still bitter about Austin. He definitely could have been had.

The Jets were lucky to win last night, they still look terrible. I thought they were gonna come out fired up & just smoke em. Miami outgained them 175-10 at one point,4 3& outs, this is clearly not a team ready for prime-time. And I dont wanna hear well, they won, be happy. Hell, Don Bosco HS could beat Miami, yet Miami had every opportunity to bury the Jets early if they were to resemble an NFL quality team, which San Diego will do if the Jets dont pull their heads out of their a$$!

Agreed, but there has been opportunities. Couldn't swing Austin, passed on a bunch in the earlier rounds who've turned out to be very good, and other guys better than Plax and Braylon have been moved over the past couple years. I know hindsight criticism is lame but whatever, it's true. I'm still bitter about Austin. He definitely could have been had.

The Austin one I think definitely falls under hindsight (although to what extent probably depends on the person). If you recall, the Jets got pretty roundly mocked for even looking at an RFA with that high of a tender (second rounder I believe it was?) who was really only known for a handful of big plays in the prior season and nothing more in his career. Granted, it turned out they knew what the hell they were looking at, but it certainly would not have been deemed a smart move at the time. I'm not sure if that was a matter of not being able to pull it off as much as not willing to pay the asking price.

The Jets were lucky to win last night, they still look terrible. I thought they were gonna come out fired up & just smoke em. Miami outgained them 175-10 at one point,4 3& outs, this is clearly not a team ready for prime-time. And I dont wanna hear well, they won, be happy. Hell, Don Bosco HS could beat Miami, yet Miami had every opportunity to bury the Jets early if they were to resemble an NFL quality team, which San Diego will do if the Jets dont pull their heads out of their a$$!

Defense is improving. The offense, well, god only knows wtf is going on there. Still we won that game and our defense man handled their offense. If our offense was even average right now that game woulda been a blowout.

Ready for prime-time? Hellllll no. But that's ok, I'd rather they were ready for prime-time towards the end of the season, when it matters, not now where they will burn out before the end of the season.

The Austin one I think definitely falls under hindsight (although to what extent probably depends on the person). If you recall, the Jets got pretty roundly mocked for even looking at an RFA with that high of a tender (second rounder I believe it was?) who was really only known for a handful of big plays in the prior season and nothing more in his career. Granted, it turned out they knew what the hell they were looking at, but it certainly would not have been deemed a smart move at the time. I'm not sure if that was a matter of not being able to pull it off as much as not willing to pay the asking price.

At the end of '08

http://articles.nyda...s-terrell-owens [2nd rd]

End of '09

http://cowboysblog.d...s-austin-h.html [1st and 3rd]

Hindsight is a bitch but them not rolling the dice and giving up their 2nd rder could've effected us not getting Sanchez in that draft. I know it would've cool having the possibility of drafting Freeman (17th overall) and getting Austin would've been cool but we have what we've got and okay with it

Dear Lord!

I don't think anybody has mentioned it yet, but Derrick Mason had more catches and yards as a Jet in five games than Brad Smith had in 2010. Get ******* over it already.

Same can be said for Kerley (plus TDs too), and he hardly hit the field on offense the first 4 weeks of the season.

lancemehl's arguments don't really stand on their own merits, but I'm more disturbed by the fact that this forum is roughly as difficult to operate as a standard toilet, and at least half of his posts are the equivalent of eating the float ball and sh*tting in the tank.

Archived