Brad Smith on Mike Westhoff

GAjetFan

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/11In some ways, Brad Smith sounds like a different player now that he's a step removed from /bills_brad_smith_getting_used.html

In some ways, Brad Smith sounds like a different player now that he's a step removed from Jets special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff.

Smith isn't around a coach who would let him return a kick from the parking lot anymore, which spawned just one of many changes in philosophy he had to get accustomed to when he

signed with the Buffalo Bills as a free agent this offseason.

So far, he has just five kick returns, none for more than 25 yards.

"Absolutely. It's tough, man, I'm being honest with you, knowing we could make plays," Smith said. "But as many times you take a chance you can hit a couple but at the same time, if you get tackled at the 10 or 15 yard line, you're hurting teams.

"Sure I do (miss Westhoff), honestly he's an unbelievable coach. Not just X's and O's. As far as pushing guys to reach their maximum potential, he's good. Sometimes he can be very harsh but I think the longer I was there, I understood his method. A lot of respect for Mike."

On Sunday, he'll face his former team for the first time in what he described as a "surreal" experience. He already said he can't wait to hit former teammate Eric Smith. Smith, in turn, invited him to take the opening kickoff out of the end zone.

But he'll also see a team that he envisioned playing for this year. Smith made the leap to Buffalo after it became clear that the Jets were

preoccupied during the early portions of free agency.

When asked about it on a conference call today, Smith said he wasn't privy to any of the conversations his agent had with either the Jets or the Bills.

"I mean, it's something I was very comfortable with," Smith said of the Jets, where he spent his first five seasons. "The organization, the people, I was very comfortable the

After what he described as a "crazy" start with Buffalo, Smith said he's just as comfortable as a Bill now, amid a period where he's still trying to

as both a quarterback and a wide receiver.

This season he has 19 rushing attempts for 84 yards and a touchdown and has five catches for 43 yards.

"The lockout ended and free agency began and the next thing I knew I was on a plane to Rochester and I'm sitting in the team meeting and I know no one," Smith said. "It was unbelievable, it didn't feel real. Guys like Fred Jackson and Stevie Johnson and Ryan Fitzpatrick they took time to just hang out, show me around, introduce me to everyone and you know that really helped me out."

10213465-large.jpg

What a classy player. Best of luck to him in all his games other than the two against us every year!

Can anyone honestly think of a single instance where a player had anything but great things to say about Westhoff? I'm pretty sure the only person in league history who didn't love this guy is Dave Wannstedt, and I couldn't be happier about that. Honestly, if it wasn't for his health issues I can't imagine any way this guy wouldn't have gotten a shot as an NFL head coach.

Can anyone honestly think of a single instance where a player had anything but great things to say about Westhoff? I'm pretty sure the only person in league history who didn't love this guy is Dave Wannstedt, and I couldn't be happier about that. Honestly, if it wasn't for his health issues I can't imagine any way this guy wouldn't have gotten a shot as an NFL head coach.

David Clowney?

Jets' offense seemsed much better at hiding Smith. With the Bills, once he ison the field the defense knows to key on him.Jets gave him snaps at wideout so on this rare occasion seems like Schitty had a better idea how to use a player than does another OC.

Jets' offense seemsed much better at hiding Smith. With the Bills, once he ison the field the defense knows to key on him.Jets gave him snaps at wideout so on this rare occasion seems like Schitty had a better idea how to use a player than does another OC.

Didn't he have something like 4 catches for us all last year but 5 so far this year for the Bills?

Absolutely. It's tough, man, I'm being honest with you, knowing we could make plays. But as many times you take a chance you can hit a couple but at the same time, if you get tackled at the 10 or 15 yard line, you're hurting teams.

Man, you can just feel him quoting the company line and not buying a word of it.

I'm sure the contract helps, but he's got to wonder everyday what the hell the Bills were thinking when they signed him.

Well, with Folk not having a very powerful leg im betting he's going to attempt to return every kick off and he may pull a Ginn.

Bastard!

That's never going to happen. Folk is a very good high, directional kicker and the coverage unit is outstanding. Westhoff has repeatedly said he would rather have that than someone booting it into the endzone every time, because he has confidence his unit can get a stop inside of the 20 (and very often they do). There is zero risk of Smith pulling that on the Jets. The only reason Ginn was able to do it in the first place is because Feely was a complete dipsh*t who booted line drives every time, giving absolutely no time for the coverage to get downfield. It's not a coincidence that Feely's 2 years here were the only 2 in Westhoff's tenure where the Jets had issues with kick coverage. I can assure you, Smith as a kick returner is going to be the least of the Jets' concerns come Sunday.

That's never going to happen. Folk is a very good high, directional kicker and the coverage unit is outstanding. Westhoff has repeatedly said he would rather have that than someone booting it into the endzone every time, because he has confidence his unit can get a stop inside of the 20 (and very often they do). There is zero risk of Smith pulling that on the Jets. The only reason Ginn was able to do it in the first place is because Feely was a complete dipsh*t who booted line drives every time, giving absolutely no time for the coverage to get downfield. It's not a coincidence that Feely's 2 years here were the only 2 in Westhoff's tenure where the Jets had issues with kick coverage. I can assure you, Smith as a kick returner is going to be the least of the Jets' concerns come Sunday.

Not entirely true Green. I was at that game talking sh*t to Miami fans with Lil Bit Special and seen Ginn put the "moves" on 5 jets during that second return. Both kickoffs the Jets met Ginn at the 15 yard line. They simply got burnt by a speedster with good vision. The first kickoff was a line drive i'll admit, that second one we got our a$$ handed to us.

I also wouldnt say that Smith has zero chance to run it back, though I, like you see it highly unlikely. Smith is going to be siked for this game though so I hope that the Jets dont go into the game underestimating him thinking that he has zero chance. I'd rather they prove it instead of getting their feelings hurt.

Mike Westhoff is a genius! So glad he decided to stay for another season.

The league moves kickoffs to the 35-yard-line and it doesn't hurt us. It doesn't matter how many new rules they implement in the game, Westy will find a way to make it work to his advantage.

BTW...I don't think that bicycle group likes Westy too much!

Wasn't just Feely. Woodhead ****ed up both times. The first one could be directly attributed to him getting sucked too far inside. On the second Woodhead got blasted downfield and sucked too far inside, but Ginn should have been tackled on the left side before he even got out there. Woodhead was playing the edge because of injuries. Ironically I think that Brad Smith was out that game and they were using Miller to run them back. I think that was why Woodhead had to play contain.

Remember when the Jets signed Dexter Carter? This is that.

Yes.

Brad was a nice player, but McKnight + Kerley at 1/4 of the money is more than making up for his loss here.

Buffalo needs to figure out what to do with him.

On Sunday, he'll face his former team for the first time in what he described as a "surreal" experience. He already said he can't wait to hit former teammate Eric Smith. Smith, in turn, invited him to take the opening kickoff out of the end zone.

ok, so we have an official "players to watch" item this week, lol

Yes.

Brad was a nice player, but McKnight + Kerley at 1/4 of the money is more than making up for his loss here.

Buffalo needs to figure out what to do with him.

You are very right. When LT walks McKnight will prob get 10-12 touches or more per game and Kerley seems to be developing nicely.

However.............I miss Brad Smith and what he brought to this team and I fear he could hurt NYJ today.

Lets hope Maybins anger at Bills mgmnt can trump Smiths feeling of being discarded unfairly.

Wasn't just Feely. Woodhead ****ed up both times. The first one could be directly attributed to him getting sucked too far inside. On the second Woodhead got blasted downfield and sucked too far inside, but Ginn should have been tackled on the left side before he even got out there. Woodhead was playing the edge because of injuries. Ironically I think that Brad Smith was out that game and they were using Miller to run them back. I think that was why Woodhead had to play contain.

Oh, don't get me wrong, it was certainly a combination of factors, but the fact is that Feely's 2 years on the Jets were far and away the worst the Jets coverage unit ever was under Westhoff. So while Woodhead certainly sucked a big one that game as well, the point more was that the Jets were already in a position that any single mistake by the coverage unit was essentially guaranteed disaster as guys were already regularly getting returns out to the 30 or 40 in those days. With the Jets current kickoff situation more often than not there's 3 or more guys around the ball carrier before he even hits the 20, so it's a lot more than just one missed tackle or out of place player away from giving up a TD. Who knows, I could be wrong, but I'm not overly concerned about Smith. I've said it even from when they lost him in the offseason, Westhoff has made great KRs out of tons of guys before him, and now McKnight is already averaging double the yards per return despite the altered kickoff rules, so I don't see any reason for the Jets to be shaking in their boots.

Archived